Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 01-01-2010, 01:26 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Packers-Cardinals, Week 17

Well its here, the end of the regular season and the hopeful beginning of a long playoff run. This game has no real meaning to us aside from going 11-5. I originally picked us going 10-6 this year so I've been fairly happy with the team this year. After that Bucs game it looked like it was going to be a wasted year but they rebounded nicely and played the way that we all knew they were capable of playing. Time to hand out some awards for the season:

5 star players:

Aaron Rodgers - Success in the NFL is mostly pegged on the QB and us fans should be thankful for such a smooth transition from a legend in Favre to the efficient Rodgers. The scary thing is that Rodgers still has room to get better. He also became the 1st QB in NFL history to throw for 4000 yards in his first 2 seasons as a starter.

Charles Woodson - Hard to believe that he just keeps getting better every year that he's here. A lockdown playmaking CB who's made a drastic mark on our defense. 27 interceptions in 4 years with 6 of them going back for TDs. His signing ranks right up there with Reggie White's for us.

Clay Matthews - Normally rookies don't come in and make the kind of impact that Clay has made. Despite not starting until week 4 he's imassed 10 sacks which set a Packers rookie record. Matthew's is leading the team in sacks and his play helped us get back on track early in the season to make the playoffs.

4 star players:

Cullen Jenkins - Jenkins has been a beast this year. He leads our defensive lineman in sacks and forced fumbles. Proving that when healthy he can be a dominate player.

Ryan Pickett - Tremendously helped his value by his strong play at NT, Pickett should have plenty of suitors if the Packers don't try to retain him this offseason.

Ryan Grant - I don't think anyone has quietly gained 1200 rushing yards this year other than Grant. He really turned it on the 2nd half of the season and helped balance out the offense.

Jermichael Finley - This is why Ted Thompson drafting the athletic Finley and stayed with him after a painful rookie season. He's proving to be a matchup weapon and has made his way into a much bigger role in the offense. Expect bigger things next year.

Nick Collins - Proving that last year was no fluke Collins again put together another strong pro bowl calibur season. Simply put, the Packers cannot let Collins leave town. He's shown great leadership this year in his new role and should continue to improve again next year.

3 star players:

Donald Driver - He started out hot but has started to take a back seat lately to Greg Jennins and Jermichael Finley. Still though he's going to reach the 1000 yard receiving mark for the 6th consecutive season which is remarkable considering his age.

Greg Jennings - Probably our biggest disapointment of the season. After signing a contract extention we were expecting big things from Jennings or at least to repeat what he did last season. While he's been drawing more coverage this year he still put up a respectiful 1100 yard season.

Needs improvement:

Special teams - Mason Crosby has struggled along with punter Jermey Kapinos. The kick coverage had struggled early in the season but has improved.

Offensive line - I think that we're all sick of the zone blocking scheme. Weather is getting push in the run game or stuffing a pass rush our offensive lineman are just too undersized for a cold weather team.

Depth - Last season showed what the lack of depth can do to a team. It was pass rushers last season and this year its cornerbacks. We need to do a better job of developing young players at certain positions in order to maintain a certain level of play.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think you miss understand the amount of depth we lost at CB. 3 of our 5 starters were all hurt.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
i think you miss understand the amount of depth we lost at CB. 3 of our 5 starters were all hurt.
His 2nd to last sentence says we saw what lack of depth can do to a team...Injuries or poor development, either way Green Bay is not deep at the defensive back position.

I think he is right on saying Green Bay has not developed young players well enough. Case and point, Jarret Bush. The coaches must think he will/would turn into something better and he isn't, so poor job on their part (in my opinion).

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
If you think Blackmon and Lee are depth then something is wrong. Neither guy would've been a capable fall back option. I can understand Bush struggling because he's only on the team for special teams duty and to be a guy who can play CB and safety in spot duty. But there's certain positions that we've failed to develop young players at and CB and the offensive line are those areas.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
If you think Blackmon and Lee are depth then something is wrong. Neither guy would've been a capable fall back option.
Hard to say with Lee considering he's got Harrell syndrome. He may have been legit if healthy.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:09 AM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not that any game is meaningless, but this is a chance to rest some dinged up players. If the Packers like the match-up against AZ, they could try to guarantee the next week with them by winning the game. If they don't, they could rest a lot of players and maybe AZ gets the bye.

Response to a couple items above: Collins made the pro bowl and had six picks. He's a 5 star player and will either get shafted by the CBA not being renewed, or turn into GB's franchised player and get 6 million next year.

Corner depth a big concern of mine for the play-offs, and even for next year. Would've been great to have traded AK for a CB prior to the trading deadline, but ce la vie.

For the Season's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:
Aaron Rodgers has been incredible. Given the pressure from fans, the success Farv has had this year and the expectations on him, he's exceeded them by becoming the first QB in NFL history to throw for 4k+ yards in his first two seasons starting. Woodson should be DPOY, but we'll see if all those East Coast Homers pick the NY player. Woodson has won more games, so we'll see if that matters or not. The draft class has rocked. Raji, Clay, Lang, Quinn, and Jones have all been valued contributors. Wynn and Underwood have shown some promise but been banged up. Sure wish TT had kept Meredith over Giacomini. Brad Jones stepping in having better production than AK was an unforeseeable pleasure.

The Bad: The dang injuries. Sure every NFL team has players go out, but still sad to see 10 players go out for the year, from promising guys like Brett Swain and Pat Lee, to valued pillars like Al Harris and Jason Spitz, to guys you knew were going to get hurt some time this year like Justin Harrell and Will Blackmon. The 4th quarter losses to Tampa Bay and the Steelers. Could still be fighting for the NFC North crown and a high seed except for those losses.

The Ugly: The sacks. Even though pressure has been applied to the wound and the team has stopped the majority of the bleeding, fifty sacks given up and leading the league in that category is just plain ugly. I wouldn't mind facing off against Minnesota again given that the line has seemed to have jelled, but giving up 14 sacks to one team was ridiculous. Not surprising that 4 of the 5 GB losses have involved giving up 6+ sacks, with Pittsburgh (irony) being the exception.

I'd like to see the Packers beat AZ, even if it ruins my 10-6 prediction:
"I'm glad the Packers are coming out west. I'll be at the two games in Phoenix, though one is pre-season.
10-6 looks attainable if the defense gets better at all and the RT spot gets handled. Could be even better, but this is still a young team transitioning to a new defensive system, so we'll see."

Hmmmm, who knew I just might get a third GB game to go to in Phoenix?
The Bears Still Suck!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Hard to say with Lee considering he's got Harrell syndrome. He may have been legit if healthy.
I guess I've just never been a fan of Lee. I thought we reached on him at the time and thought that Terrell Thomas would've been a better fit.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess I've just never been a fan of Lee. I thought we reached on him at the time and thought that Terrell Thomas would've been a better fit.
Thoomas may have been a better pick, but I'm not sure Lee was a reach, I saw him going to the Packers at 31 in more than a few mocks. He could still pan out.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's root for the Vikings so by the time our kickoff time rolls around, we can rest most of our players being that we'd be locked in against Arizona in the first round.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Let's root for the Vikings so by the time our kickoff time rolls around, we can rest most of our players being that we'd be locked in against Arizona in the first round.
Can't do it. I'm kind of hoping for a Vikings/Pack first round game. If we can beat them in their place after everything thats happened this season I think we'll have enough emotion, momentum, and belief in our locker room to go real deep in the playoffs.

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Thoomas may have been a better pick, but I'm not sure Lee was a reach, I saw him going to the Packers at 31 in more than a few mocks. He could still pan out.
And Alan Branch and Winston Justice were mocked to be top 10 picks. I don't know, I just have a feeling Lee's time is over in Green Bay. Thompson is quick to admit his mistakes and cut bait so the only way I see him sticking in camp is if we don't bring in any other CBs - which we're almost certain to do.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was hoping for Lee when we had traded down and took Nelson instead. He's been hurt his first two seasons, but if he's able to stay healthy next year, I'd expect him to contribute. I don't know if you can be too upset about our depth, since most teams would struggle after losing their 2nd, 4th, and 5th cornerbacks. I am disappointed that we haven't tried to bring in any veteran corners at this point though, because I can't imagine there's nobody available that's better than Bush. It'd be great to see Underwood or Bell step up at this point.

No way am I rooting for Minnesota tomorrow. I'd also like to see a real football game between us and Arizona despite playing them right away in the playoffs. Some way or another, I want a rematch against the Vikings.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't know, I just have a feeling Lee's time is over in Green Bay.
It hasn't even started really yet.If healthy, and all indications are he's already back to normal, I'll be willing to bet he's a lock on the roster nest season, especially with AL's future up in the air.

they get smoked.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It hasn't even started really yet.If healthy, and all indications are he's already back to normal, I'll be willing to bet he's a lock on the roster nest season, especially with AL's future up in the air.
He's back to normal because the knee injury he suffered wasn't season ending. When they're not even willing to wait a few weeks to get him back that just goes to show you what the coaches think of him.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pat Lee is supposed to have superstar athleticism by the way. With how thin our depth is at the position, he's almost guaranteed to make the roster on potential alone, and because we'll only bring in so many new guys. I'm not a believer in Blackmon. He'll never cut it even as a nickel or dime corner and he's not a good enough returner to keep him around just for that. Then there's the health issues as well. That means the only corners (not counting Lee) that are a lock to be on the 2010 roster are Charles and Trammon, since Harris might be done and after that our talent drops to Jarrett Bush level (ugh).

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm disappointed. No matter what happens we play Arizona two weeks in a row.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I'm disappointed. No matter what happens we play Arizona two weeks in a row.
It is what it is. I'm just happy to be back in the playoffs. Wild card teams have won it all in the past and we're coming in steaming hot.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of all the potential matchups, I think Arizona scares me the most. Sure Woodson can lock up either Fitz or Anquan Boldin, but even that is a tough matchup. With Breaston, their 3 WR's had 1,000 yards last year. There is no way Green Bay's DB's can matchup.

Collins, Tramon Williams, and Bigby are going to have to play lights out. I think our saving grace is the fact that Warner can definitely get rattled. He's been there and done that many times, but his arm strength is to the Packers advantage as well. Some of those floaters are ripe to be picked off.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

As for today though, I am just really REALLY hoping to see guys like Bell, Underwood, and God help me even Bush to show some flashes of potential to make plays when Green Bay (most likely) plays them in a week.

Pressure is going to be key...So come on Clay, show us why you deserved that pro bowl spot. I don't know if I've ever been more confident in a front 7 than this year's group. Duh superbowl season, but I was only 7 at the time and didn't know much about anything. Still don't hah.

ps. COME ON DOLPHINS SHUT THOSE STEELERS UP! Thigpen to Bess, awesome.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
Of all the potential matchups, I think Arizona scares me the most. Sure Woodson can lock up either Fitz or Anquan Boldin, but even that is a tough matchup. With Breaston, their 3 WR's had 1,000 yards last year. There is no way Green Bay's DB's can matchup.

Collins, Tramon Williams, and Bigby are going to have to play lights out. I think our saving grace is the fact that Warner can definitely get rattled. He's been there and done that many times, but his arm strength is to the Packers advantage as well. Some of those floaters are ripe to be picked off.
Teams also need to stop Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, and Finley. Its not like the Cardinals are the only team with explosive receivers.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Oh absolutely. I'm not worried about Green Bay's offense, they will get theres. It's just slowing down other teams big play threats I'm scared about.

Maybe warm weather games are exactly what the Packers need, because outscoring opposing teams is a legitimate option for them.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Chillar is inactive. I must have missed the injury...What's up with him?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
Chillar is inactive. I must have missed the injury...What's up with him?
I think its precaution. Same with Pickett. Give them a week off to get fully healthy for the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What did Rodgers just do after scoring? It was some kind of celebration involving a belt or something. I'm not sure, but it was awesome.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Hello Desmond Bishop. Damn!