Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Revis was thrown at more...so he should have had more ints then if he is that great.
What an insanely stupid thing to say.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Revis got robbed

Well, at least Revis & the Jets made it past round 1 of the playoffs

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Woodson does cover 1/4 of Earth.......
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Well, Woodson does cover 1/4 of Earth.......
lol, stupid but funny

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
according to the stats its true, i like what an analyst on Espn first take said:

"There are two different kinds of shutdown corners, one which the other team says He's good, but we're going to test him out and see what happens, and then there are the shutdown corners that you avoid throwing at like Nnamdi Asmougha"

I feel like this really is true, but then i wouldnt call it shutdown corner, i would just call them elite. San Diego usually throws at the strength of the defense, so this game between SD and NYJ should be a test for Revis.

Fitz shouldve gotten OPI in GB vs ARI i feel on at least two occasions, but it was pretty clear Woodson was being beaten. Woodson really accumulated stats but he is a great player and very deserving of this award, both of them are. The award should've been split.

That said Rex Ryan should apologize to Woodson and Green Bay, essentially he pulled a Kanye and disrespected the achievement of a great player, very unclassy.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Revis got robbed

Excellent logic, reasoning, and thought.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Insane or Bold
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why people make such an issue over something like this. Its not like their bitching is going to make the AP take the award from Woodson and give it to Revis.

Revis, in my opinion, is the best CB in the league and has been the past 2 years. But the award is for the best overall defensive player, not the best CB of the year.

Hell Woodson even won the Sporting News' NFL defensive player of the year which is selected by a panel of 636 players, coaches, and executives. 241 of the 1st place votes were from the 583 players polled so its not like he wasn't deserving of either award.

So if people are getting upset over some millionaire winning it over another millionaire then you honestly need new priorities in your life.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I don't get why people make such an issue over something like this. Its not like their bitching is going to make the AP take the award from Woodson and give it to Revis.

Revis, in my opinion, is the best CB in the league and has been the past 2 years. But the award is for the best overall defensive player, not the best CB of the year.

Hell Woodson even won the Sporting News' NFL defensive player of the year which is selected by a panel of 636 players, coaches, and executives. 241 of the 1st place votes were from the 583 players polled so its not like he wasn't deserving of either award.

So if people are getting upset over some millionaire winning it over another millionaire then you honestly need new priorities in your life.
EXACTLY...I posted this on the previous page and hate to restate my own quote, but I can't help but emphasize this anymore.

Quote:
Once again...It's NOT best DB or best CB. It's defensive player of the year. Revis was IMO far and away the best corner in the NFL this season. But overall, no player had more of an impact for his team than Charles Woodson.

9 INT + 4 FF = 13 turnovers
75 tackles
3 TDs + 150 return yards off INTs
2 sacks -T1 for DB's
and 27 PD

Stats are overrated, but how can anyone say he didn't deserve it? We all have our favorites and again, both were deserving, but some saying it was a "sham" he won is flat out ridiculous.
In the end, like you said, it's 2 multi-millionaires who get to play football for a living. One won the award and the other might be the most promising CB for the next 10 years. I'm sure both will end up alright once the debate and out rage dies down.

Last edited by Whistler6 : 01-13-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
GangGreen
Rookie

GangGreen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I see the fact that Revis is one of the most thrown at cb's in the league to be a great thing. Put it this way, Revis is left one on one against the opposing teams number one receiver on nearly every play. quarterbacks are instinctive that when they see they're top target one on one, to take a chance and throw the ball. Opposing QB's do this and Revis still manages to be dominant. That's insane.

The jets don't have any premier pass rushers that can make plays on their own. We HAVE to blitz on nearly every down or we'll get torn apart. We blitz defensive backs on a silly percentage of plays because we have to and we're honestly only able to get away with it because of Revis.

I honestly haven't watched and packers games other than the one at 'zona, so I can't really argue against Woodson or how well he played, but I think using sack numbers is silly. When a team blitzes a cornerback, they don't do it with the intent of him destroying a blocker and getting a sack. It's for trying to get as fast unblocked to the qb as possible before he finds an open man. It doesn't make sense for the jets to blitz revis when they could blitz dwight lowry or kerry rhodes and still have their secondary covering flawlessly....thanks to Revis.
GangGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could understand all the bitching if statistically they were close... I mean, Revis is a better pure cover guy, but damn, Woodson caused 13 turnovers and scored 3 times. I know turnovers are circumstantial a lot, but there is something to be said for being around the ball that much and making big time plays.

Giving up less receptions and still being able to pile up that many tackles is just gravy.

It's not like Woodson is getting toasted by receivers while coming up with all these stats, he's a great cover man as well,, and he just made so many turnovers that it's hard to say "stats mean nothing" forever.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Revis got robbed

Was this an attempt at a sick burn?

Nothing said in this thread will change the award. We all admit they were both deserving but Woodson ultimately won. Stop acting like Revis had a better all around season. If he did, why didn't he win the award? Conspiracy? I think justice was served here. Woodson won with Revis coming in second with a handful of votes of his own.

But at the same time, it begs the question. Will a true every play shutdown corner like Revis ever have a chance to win the award without the FFs, Sacks, and TDs that Woodson had?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i agree and expect that you'll never have an opinion about some millionaire again.
There's a big difference in having an opinion and having an educated opinion. Its when you have an educated opinion that a true debate takes form. I'm not seeing that here.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
seriously? you just posted that no one should have an opinion about a couple of millionaires, then you try to weasel out of it by whining about quality? that's pathetic.
Quote:
Where did I mention anything about opinions? Read this entire thread, its more bitching than anything. Thats whats pathetic.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"why are people upset about ..." is a clear reference to their OPINION of the award.

but bitching about the bitching in a thread... that's a good one.

as i said, i expect you to never "be upset" about anything involving millionaires again, and to further, stop contributing to the bitching in this thread. or continue to be a hypocrite, whatever works.
I'm not the one getting my panties in a bunch. You on the other hand...
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
This I don't agree with. If you have a player who blitzes as effectively as Woodson, you're better off sending him occasionally and having him make a sack that could possibly change the game. Also, Woodson forced 3 of 4 fumbles on plays down the field, while Revis didn't force any. I don't see how you can say Revis could force fumbles as well as Woodson.
Woodson blitzed 49 times this year. He had 2 sacks and 6 pressures to show for it. I'll let you judge how "effective" that is.

I would have much less of a problem with Woodson winning the award if the disparity in their coverage ability wasn't so large. Woodson let up 3 more touchdowns than Revis while defending less than half as many passes and allowing more than 10% more completions when targeted. Quite frankly, Revis is on a different level than Woodson in coverage, and both Revis and Woodson spend the majority of their time playing coverage. You can argue that Woodson has more "versatility" than Revis, but why would Revis want to be blitzing or covering Tight Ends when he is literally eliminating a third of the field on every single play.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/144970

'The Jets coach took a not-so-subtle shot at Woodson, whose Packers gave up 51 points in Sunday's overtime loss to the Cardinals last Sunday. "A number that I think is interesting would be eight, and no, that's not the amount of touchdown passes that Green Bay gave up against Arizona. That is the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season at the Jets, and the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis."'

Rex Ryan...he also talked about how much fun it would be to host the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. I kind of dig his ridiculous chattiness but 3 weeks ago he gave his 7-7 team up for dead before 2 teams rolled over for them, and now he has had quite a change of heart.
As critical as I have been about the Jets and particularly their loud mouth head coach. He's right about this one. Revis was the best defensive player in the league this year. Maybe the best player in the league not named Chris Johnson or Peyton Manning.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While personally, I think Woodson should have won so I don't want anyone to take my comments as be bashing Woodson, he's a great cover corner but a play-maker also.

Still, I find it ironic, and funny that Packer fans are talking about people bitching about saying Revis should have won for a few reasons. One being that when Revis won the USA Today Defensive player of the year there was a large group of Packers fans "bitching" in that thread about it not being Woodson until someone brought up it wasn't even the real award.

Two being that if Revis had won this award, I have no doubt in my mind that nearly every Packer fan would be in here "bitching" stating over and over that Woodson should have won. I'm sensing quite a bit of hypocrisy, and I'm not talking to everyone obviously but still...

That said I can easily see an argument for Revis, it's not like there was a wrong answer, guess it depends on which you prefer. I'd prefer Revis, but think Woodson deserved the award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fun fact of the day, 6 of Woodson's 9 ints came against the following QBs:

Kyle Boller- 1
Derek Anderson- 1
Matt Stafford- 2
Jay Cutler- 1
Matt Leinart-1
Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Still, I find it ironic, and funny that Packer fans are talking about people bitching about saying Revis should have won for a few reasons. One being that when Revis won the USA Today Defensive player of the year there was a large group of Packers fans "bitching" in that thread about it not being Woodson until someone brought up it wasn't even the real award.
I found it funny when they said that Woodson should win it and it shouldn't even be close.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Kyle Boller- 1
Derek Anderson- 1
Matt Stafford- 2
Jay Cutler- 1
Matt Leinart-1
Come on dude the time is past for discrediting Woodson's stats. It's not a real important award and Revis will almost definitely pick one up during his career.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Kyle Boller- 1
Derek Anderson- 1
Matt Stafford- 2
Jay Cutler- 1
Matt Leinart-1
5 of Revis' 6 picks came against:

Jamarcus Russell
Jake Delhomme (2)
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Josh Freeman

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Step back from the ledge bud...It's a couple of fans forming opinions. The "educated" AP decided Woodson deserved the award, and I just happen to agree and am a Packer fan. So I say thank you to them.

Last edited by Whistler6 : 01-13-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
5 of Revis' 6 picks came against:

Jamarcus Russell
Jake Delhomme (2)
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Josh Freeman
Yeah but nobody uses Revis' interception total to argue why he's better.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Come on dude the time is past for discrediting Woodson's stats. It's not a real important award and Revis will almost definitely pick one up during his career.
I know, It was kind of obvious Woodson was going to win anyway, and he's a great player and totally deserving of the award. I just enjoy arguing.