Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Giants musings

Here are my latest musings for the 2010 Giants

We now know Fewell’s general style, plus we recently signed Robert Nunn as defensive line coach.
Fewell likees to attack receivers at the line of scrimmage, which suits Webster, Ross and Thomas well. Also it is very likely Fewell prefers more mobile LBs. This means guys like Pierce, Clark, Wilkinson and Blackburn are not good fits.

We know a new CBA is extremely unlikely and thus there will be limited players available in free agency.

I have been thinking about our defensive line, and we have the talent there, we just need to be healthy and play to our potential. I think Fewell and Nunn will turn it around really fast. Robbins and Bernard are gone.

We will overhaul the defense. the Giants are unlikely to rely on rookies to start as we upgrade positions, I think we will continue the habit of developing rookies behind veteran starters. This means we will need to bring in veterans to start (if the current guys are not viewed as the answer).

These are my current musings

Positional Moves:

Clint Sintim to DE
Sintim doesn’t play well in space and isn’t the style of LB Fewell prefers, however he could develop into a decent pass rusher at DE.

Aaron Rouse to WLB
Fewell prefers faster LB and we need to upgrade the secondary. Rouse has been a little inconsistent in deep coverage, but he is big (6'4", 230), fast (4.40) and a good tackler, he is a good fit to back up Boley at WLB plus his coverage at would be very good for a linebacker.

Free Agency

Sign LB Karlos Dansby (Cardinals)
Overhauling the LBs will be the priority this offseason. The cardinals have said they aren't going to franchise him, making Dansby is the best option available (and probably the only legitimate free agency option) and a great fit at SLB. Although he won't be cheap.

Sign George Wilson (Bills)
A restricted free agent, but the Bills will not invest heavily to keep this former udfa. Wilson knows Fewell’s systems and will help the secondary make the transition. He also provides quality depth and special teams play.

Resign David Carr or a veteran QB maybe Daunte Culpepper (Lions)

Trades (draft day?)

Trade 4th round pick for S Kerry Rhodes (Jets)
Rhodes seems to be on the outer with Rex Ryan and reportedly is available for a mid round pick. This gives us two quality starters at safety. Making Johnson a good backup.

Trade 4th round pick for LB Derrick Johnson (Chiefs)
Johnson is on the outer with the Chiefs and wants out. He is a very good fit at MLB in our more mobile LB system and is reportedly available for a mid round pick.

Draft

Giants trade down in the first round for an extra 2nd round pick; possibly to New England #23 allowing them to draft Dez Bryant (New England have 3 second round picks and urgent needs at WR).

1a. OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa (6-6, 312, 5.00)
Physical blocker with a nasty disposition and well-rounded game. Bulaga would be the eventual replacment for McKenzie, but could also play LT which means he can backup both tackle spots.
Giants trade down in the first round for an extra 2nd round pick; possibly to New England for #22 and #53 allowing them to draft Dez Bryant (New England have 3 second round picks and urgent needs at WR).

1b. DT Brian Price, California (6-2, 300, 5.00)
Powerfull, disruptive and very quick. Price makes is a genuine playmaker behind the line of scrimmage.
Giants trade up to get Brian Price; perhaps #45 and #53 to Baltimore for #25 and #120

3. CB Syd’Quan Thompson, California (5-9, 191, 4.50)
CB is not a huge need and Thompson is a little shorter than ideal, but he is a tough, physical CB with good coverage skills and increases our CB depth and special teams.

4a. Traded for LB Derrick Johnson

4b. Traded for S Kerry Rhodes

5. LB A.J. Edds, Iowa (6-4, 244, 4.70)
Edds is a good fit at LB fpr Fewell's style of and could likely play MLB for us. He also gives us good special teams play.

6. CB Jamar Wall, Texas Tech (5-10, 203, 4.50)
Wall is a physical CB and special teams player.

7. P Zoltan Mesko, Michigan (6-5, 231, 4.75)
A stud punter with a booming leg and terrific hangtime

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-27-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense

QB (3): Eli Manning, David Carr/Daunte Culpepper, Rhett Bhomar

WR (6): Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon, Derek Hagan

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe/Darcy Johnson

RB (4): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, Gatrell Johnson/DJ Ware

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

OT (3): Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, Bryan Bulaga

OG (3): Chris Snee, David Diehl, Kevin Boothe/Adam Koets

OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Rich Seubert

Defense

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Matthias Kiwanuka, Clint Sintim

DT (4): Chris Canty, Barry Cofield, Jay Alford, Brian Price

SLB (2): Karlos Dansby, Brian Kehl

MLB (3): Derrick Johnson, Jonathan Goff, AJ Edds

WLB (2): Michael Boley, Aaron Rouse/Chase Blackburn/Gerris Wilkinson

CB (6): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Syd’Quan Thompson, Bruce Johnson, Kevin Dockery/Jamaal Wall

SS (2): Kerry Rhodes, George Wilson

FS (2): Kenny Phillips, Michael Johnson

Special Teams

LS (1): Zak DeOssie

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Zoltan Mesko

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-27-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

The biggest key will be getting healthy and our players (particularly defense) performing better.

I particularly like the strength and depth along the offensive line. This will go along way to restoring our dominant running game.

The Dline looks very strong; Price can do the same kind of things that Tuck did inside. A healthy Tuck and Canty along with Cofield and healthy Alford will go a long way to fixing our run defense; Osi should also bounce back. Price will be a big help in getting pressure up the middle.

Dansby, Johnson and Boley are the mobile kind of LBs Fewell prefers and give us a complete overhaul at LB. Goff, Kehl and Rouse provide depth and rotation.

Webster, Ross and Thomas give us 3 quality corners, particularly with press coverage

Rhodes and Wilson provide veteran depth in the seconday and Jones gives us a stud S to develop for the future as well as special teams play.

Normally I am not a big fan of trading away draft picks, but this year with our needs, I think it is worth while.

any thoughts?

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-27-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 PM    (permalink
<===3
Rookie

<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.<===3 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't expect that much action in terms of free agency and trades. Certainly an interesting read though.
<===3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by <===3 View Post
I wouldn't expect that much action in terms of free agency and trades. Certainly an interesting read though.
Perhaps you are right, but I think there is some desire to overhaul the defense.

this would be one major free agent signing in Dansby, one or two cheap free agents in Wilson and maybe a QB. Plus a couple of trades for former starters who are on the outer with their current teams and would be good fits for us.

I started with the idea of who is available in free agency and what positions we would ideally like to upgrade. It is interesting musings anyway.

Anyhow, glad you found it an interesting read.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't see why people assume Feweel wants small tampa-2 linebackers when he started Kawika and Poz out of camp this year, both of whom are slower linebackers. So I think moving Sintim isn't nearly as likely as some seem to think.

Also Rouse isn't nearly physical and tough enough to play linebacker, he's your classic looks like Tarzan play like Jane player.

Brian Price will not fall out of the first round and Derrick Johnson is not a worth a third rounder. He's a wonderful athlete with great potential, but there's no way his play warrants such a premium pick.

Also think you have us giving up way too many draft picks.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Fewell said he will mix it up, but did mention using some Tampa Cover 2

Quote:
"I like to run a defense that's multiple. Can I say that?" Fewell said. "Multiple, fundamentally sound, (with) good tacklers and aggressive. Coverage-wise, it can be flexible. It can be Tampa Cover-2, it can be a lot of different things. But I want to be very flexible and aggressive in what we do. I have to find out what the talent level allows me to do. I think we take advantage of what our talent level does. And if it's more of an attacking style, blitz style of defense, that's what we'll do."
I think it is fair to say that our various schemes will incorporate some Tampa Cover 2 elements, but there will alot of looks and schemes used. I equally think he will use a single deep safety at times.

Poz and Kawika are both pretty mobile, neither are classic small tampa 2 LBs, but they can cover pretty well; neither is your classic thumper

Also neither Dansby or Johnson are small.

You could be right about Rouse, although I think it is worth a try. It may be his best shot at a roster spot. I also think he might be better playing closer to the action, it seems to me he gets lost a little at time in space.

My trade assumptions are based on the fact that without a new CBS there are very limited options available that are genuine upgrades at the positions we need.

I do think Price may fall out of the first round. I think there is too much genuine 1st round calibre talent (perhaps 50 players) and Price isn't a good fit for alot of teams.
But if we did manage to get an extra 2nd round pick, I could easily see us trading both 2nd rounders to get into the late first to get Brian Price.

All in all this is designed to start some interesting discussion, naturally not everyone will agree, in fact it is great to hear a variety of thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-27-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way Kerry Collins wants to play in NY again. I'd stay away from him no matter what.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I have made a couple of adjustments taking some of the comments on board
Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Fewell said he will mix it up, but did mention using some Tampa Cover 2

I think it is fair to say that our various schemes will incorporate some Tampa Cover 2 elements, but there will alot of looks and schemes used. I equally think he will use a single deep safety at times.

Poz and Kawika are both pretty mobile, neither are classic small tampa 2 LBs, but they can cover pretty well; neither is your classic thumper

Also neither Dansby or Johnson are small.

You could be right about Rouse, although I think it is worth a try. It may be his best shot at a roster spot. I also think he might be better playing closer to the action, it seems to me he gets lost a little at time in space.

My trade assumptions are based on the fact that without a new CBS there are very limited options available that are genuine upgrades at the positions we need.

I do think Price may fall out of the first round. I think there is too much genuine 1st round calibre talent (perhaps 50 players) and Price isn't a good fit for alot of teams.
But if we did manage to get an extra 2nd round pick, I could easily see us trading both 2nd rounders to get into the late first to get Brian Price.

All in all this is designed to start some interesting discussion, naturally not everyone will agree, in fact it is great to hear a variety of thoughts and opinions.
To me that whole comment from Fewell supports the notion that he'll run what the talent let's him run. A notion I've noticed with his Buffalo defenses and neither Poz nor Kawika is half the athlete boley is and neither is much more athletic than Goff or Sintim.

As for Price I'm telling that the dude is a top 20 caliber DT prospect and he's a fit for all but the 3-4 teams, even on them he could do well in Wade Phillips style 3-4. So the idea that he isn't a good fit for most of the teams in need of a talented tackle is far fetched.

Dansby and Johnson are just over kill, especially the third round cost Johnson means in your proposed trade. Dansby alone would be sweet, Johnson alone without over-paying would be solid, but we don't need both.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Dansby and Johnson are just over kill, especially the third round cost Johnson means in your proposed trade. Dansby alone would be sweet, Johnson alone without over-paying would be solid, but we don't need both.
Perhaps, but the way I see it we need to find starters at both SLB and MLB and I am not sure that Sintim or Goff are ready to play up to the level Pierce and Clark did last year, let alone upgrade the positions, which is badly needed.

Dansby is a stud; Johnson is solid and would be reasonable value for a 4th round pick in my opinion. Getting both would give experienced veterans at all the LB spots which I think is reasonably important considering we will have a young secondary and a defensive line who must really turn it around.

but thats just my opinion and my current thinking.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-28-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Perhaps, but the way I see it we need to find starters at both SLB and MLB and I am not sure that Sintim or Goff are ready to play up to the level Pierce and Clark did last year, let alone upgrade the positions, which is badly needed.

Dansby is a stud; Johnson is solid and would be reasonable value for a 4th round pick in my opinion. Getting both would give experienced veterans at all the LB spots which I think is reasonably important considering we will have a young secondary and a defensive line who must really turn it around.

but thats just my opinion and my current thinking.
Goff is already as good as Pierce was this past year and Clark was so mediocre that despite Sintim still being inexperienced in coverage he's no worse than clark due to his run defense and pass rush skills.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: