Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Colts' Playoff Thread: Jets 17 Colts 30

The Indianapolis Colts are healing and gearing up for their unknown 2nd round opponent.

First story:

Matt Stover will be the kicker for the Colts' in the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=4804988

I hope he does well.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Divisional round, I like our chances

The offenses in the divisional round we will face - Bengals, Jets, or Ravens are all predominantly one-dimensional and run based, I like our chances this year as long as our D-line health holds up, knock on wood. Because after AJ & Muir, huge drop off in run D. Eric Foster is hit and miss but is a better pass down UT, just like Brock. Plus, our DE dropoff is huge too after Freeney and Mathis, Dawson and Baldwin, don't get me started. Our D-line health is singularly the most important phase in the playoffs, IMO. The more balanced offenses in the AFC are the Chargers and the Pats, it is good to be facing only one of them.

In the last 6 years (2003-2008), the Patriots are the only team to have beaten 2 out of the big AFC 4 (I call it that way) back-to-back in the playoffs - Steelers, Chargers, Colts, and Patriots are the big AFC 4 to me. To me, it is pretty draining physically and mentally having to beat 2 of those teams back-to-back in the playoffs. So, I like the fact that the Colts will have to beat only 1 of them if we get to the AFCCG.

Plus, in the last 10 years (1999-2008), only 2 #1 seeds (Rams in 1999, Patriots in 2003) have won the SB. In that period, only 3 #1 AFC seeds have gone to the SB (Raiders in 2002, Patriots in 2003, Patriots in 2007) - only 1 of them won it. 2 times in the last 10 years - it is due for another #1 seed to win it all - hopefully it is the Colts.:)
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As frustrating as the Jets game was, the prospect of having Mathis and Freeney at or close to full health is pretty exciting. Plus it got some other guys some reps at DE, and the LBs got a lot more practice blitzing. With legit edge rush threats the pass rush as a whole will improve, both from the interior DL (more single blocks for Muir) and with the LBs blitzing. I think the playoffs will show the culmination of Coyer's scheme and there will be some memorable QB hits by Brackett, Session, and if they let him, Wheeler.

Speaking of which, I think the LBs were playing at their highest collective level at the end of the season, including Wheeler who really improved in those last few games (minus the Bills game, which I didn't watch much of). I hope they can continue this, we'll need them against guys like Ray Rice, Cedric Benson, Fred Taylor, or Darren Sproles.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Or Thomas Jones.

I'm actually predicting that we'll play the Jets. If so, I hope we can make Rex put a foot in his over-sized mouth.

For those that haven't heard, Rex Ryan stated that Jets should be the favorites to win the Super Bowl. That happened after he found out that Jets were put at 50-1 to win the SP by Vegas.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I knew I was forgetting somebody. Yeah Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene both can do damage. I wanted us to draft Greene. Obviously didn't expect Brown in the 1st, heh. I think Manning had figured the Jets D out to a certain extent in the 3rd Q. If we meet them again I think we'll do just fine.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm oh-so scared of facing Baltimore out of all the plausible teams. Over the past few years, they've played some spirited ball against Indy and it's usually a battle of field goals or something.

Ray Rice scares me. While not great (yet), Flacco is improving tremendously and I'm still wary of McGahee as a 2nd option. If I had to pick a team to avoid, it would be a disciplined Ravens team.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Every team in the playoffs is very dangerous. But I don't think there are any that we can't beat.

Personally, I'm not even thinking about at the moment.

There are 3 possible teams that we can face in the 2nd round (Cincy, Jets or Ravens). All are dangerous, but I think we would be the favorites against any of them.

I think those 3 teams are about equal.

We would need to win the turnover battle against any of them.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Colts vs. Ravens.

Tough matchup. First thing is we will have to slow down Ray Rice. Short, quick, strong and determined, this kid is very similar to Jones-Drew. Protecting Peyton and opening holes for the running game will be a challenge also. O-Line must do it's job.

I think the key matchups for this game will be in the trenches. Both of our lines will need to play well.

I hope we win and move on.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Colts can effectively stop Ray Rice, they win this game. If not? It's not going to be an extremely aggravating game to watch.

Players that need to step up:

Dan Muir, Joseph Addai, Kyle DeVan and the LB crew.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I forgot to add:

WE MUST WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well looks like it's us vs the Colts. Look out because here we come. Going to be a great game. They always are. Hopefully we can spank you guys like we did the Patriots.
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

It'd be great to see Addai juke Ray Lewis out of his shoes again.

I think this will be a really tough game. Max I think your MJD comparison for Ray Rice is spot on though he looks like he could even be faster. He is like a bowling ball with legs. I expect a bunch of our players to just bounce off of him which will be very frustrating to watch. McGahee is good in goal line situations but overall I think Rice will be the biggest problem to deal with since he moves the chains.

Flacco, OTOH, appears to be hurt. I agree w/Philliez, if we stop Rice we win the game. Regarding turnovers I'm sure Manning will throw at least one pick to Ed Reed. The D will have to play tough, disciplined football.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully he will be close to 100% Saturday. He had the past 2 weeks off. I mean except for the 10 times he had to throw the ball Sunday. Ravens vs Colts. Did you guys expect anything other than the hardest road through the Playoffs? I would rather of had the Chargers but hey we always have an exciting game against the Colts. Win or lose it is going to be fun to watch. Bad luck guys lol :)
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Nickel all day

It seems like both the Jets and Ravens will be facing mirror image offenses as far as passing percentages and the fact that the Chargers are 31st in the league in rushing yards per game and the Colts are 32nd.

I expect what Manning faces all the time, teams playing nickel/dime and zone coverage all day and forcing the Colts offense to run the ball. A blitz will be thrown in once in a while but more often, I expect the Ravens to show blitz and play coverage with double team help switching towards Wayne and Clark constantly. Addai will be the single big key with his blitz pickups and running the ball effectively while on the receiving corp, and Collie will be the key to moving the chains. I expect to see Jacob Tamme as a 2nd receiving TE to combat nickel and dime formations the Ravens may throw at us.

2 guys - Jacob Tamme and John Chick, a lot of teams do not have much film on. John Chick is that new defensive player of the year signed from the CFL, probably to spell Freeney or Mathis on passing downs when one of them is taking a breather. I expect Brock to be in on running downs more in this Ravens game. If we get to play the Chargers, I expect Mathis to play more then.

The gameplan of the Jets cannot be too far from what the Ravens will have. Rex Ryan has played the run well with nickel and dime formations in the past and I expect him to do so in the Chargers' game as well. The only difference is while the Ravens have the centerfield Ed Reed to prevent big plays, they do not have a Darelle Revis to just shut down a #1 wideout without having to devote safety help. So, if Manning is patient and does not turn it over too many times, the Colts have a good chance of keeping it close at home and winning it eventually. Just cannot let the Ravens get a 2 TD lead and play clock control. If it is a Ravens' 1 TD lead at home in the playoffs, the Colts can recover from that, just not 2 TDs.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Default My Little Preview

Decided to do this to burn some time. I'm pumped for this game but like all playoff games, this could be the last time we see our Colts until August. So let's enjoy.

Anyway, the game for me comes down to like Max said earlier "the turnover battle".

Even though he didn't have much of a shot last game to do anything, Flacco is looking more and more like a pretty good NFL QB by the week. But as of right now, he's still a bit of Orton-esque game manager (albeit with more talent). He can be easily pressured and while he has the Roethlisberger elusiveness, I'd say the matchup of the game defensively for the Colts will be Dwight Freeney vs. Michael Oher. Mathis, Brock, Dawson, Foster, Muir, etc. will all be relied upon to pressure Flacco, but Freeney is the catalyst on the D-Line.

However, the player who needs to step up most defensively are Dan Muir, Eric Foster, Keyunta Dawson and Fili Moala. We won't stop Ray Rice, however they can limit him enough to make him just a contributor instead of the focal point. If contained? Colts win. 'Nuff said. If not? Long game.

Now offensively, the key of the game will be the first series. How good does Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark look early on. If there is an immediate click, I can relax about the whole "sitting out starters" issue. If not, oh man.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Philliez I don't think Oher and Freeney will match up against each other. Oher plays RT. Balt's LT is Jared Gaither. From my understanding he's been great for them so far and is a huge, Jonathan Ogden-sized tackle.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default Expect screen and bootleg passes

On offense, expect Baltimore to come out throwing a few screen and easier bootleg passes early on to soften our D so that they can go back to doing what they do, pounding the rock and running it well.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default You will be disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Now offensively, the key of the game will be the first series. How good does Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark look early on. If there is an immediate click, I can relax about the whole "sitting out starters" issue. If not, oh man.
Either the Ravens will get the ball or the Colts will punt the first possession. I am saying this because I know the Colts are slow starters, has been the case throughout the season. As long as they don't go 3 and out and get a couple of first downs at least before they punt, I think we will be alright.

Like I said, as long as it is just a 1 score deficit, I will not worry about the Colts till the 4th quarter.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I hope this time Colts have a great start and build a comfortable lead.

We play at our best with a lead and Ravens could be in trouble if they are forced to throw the ball often.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Nice win.

The D really stepped up after the first drive. Gary Brackett looked great. Muir had a very good game also imo. The secondary played excellent after the first drive.

Offensively, well, it wasn't perfect but it was effective. This was a great D that we were going up against. Still, we definitely left points on the field, something we can't do in the next round.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Great win, great job by the D and by some individuals on the offense. They still need a little bit of work, other than the drives in the 2nd quarter the offense didn't really get going. The D let the O lean on them and they did enough to get points, but I wouldn't want to see the same effort vs. the Chargers.

How bout Pierre Garcon!!

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-16-2010, 10:43 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

That forced fumble was excellent. Just a great hustle play.

I was hoping he'd get a TD also, but Peyton just missed him on one play.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good luck guys, I was impressed w/ Pierre hustle in forcing that fumble.

and I hope you guys win it all now, I will love to see Matt Stover pick up another ring.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Thanks Ravens.

Well, it's Jets vs. Colts. Very tough matchup.

We will HAVE to get the running game going in this one. Jets pass defense is very good. We'll have to stay away from turnovers on offense and force some on defense.

If we can establish the run on offense and contain their running game on defense, I think we'll be successful.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default A few things the Colts will do that the Chargers did not

The Chargers had way too much hype, energy, and playcalling invested in the jump ball offense (I call it that) that takes more time for the routes to develop, IMO. The Colts rely more on precision route running from their wideouts with an ability to separate. Plus, tall helps when you are in the end zone and if pushouts are not going to be called, more energy and focus of a tall WR is consumed to make sure his feet are in bounds as opposed to just securing the ball. How many times did we see those tall wideouts get close to the ball to be stripped off or defensed to result in an incompletion? Tall is overrated. Another co-incidence, another former Rex Ryan coached Ravens team beat SD in SD earlier this year, their offense does not match up well against such pressure Ds, Norv should have called more passes to Gates and Sproles. Similarly, Rex Ryan knows how Manning matches well against his Ds - cases to note are the Colts' success against the Ravens and pretty soon, Manning will score enough to beat the Jets.

Second, the Colts do not beat themselves with the kind of penalties the Chargers had - they acted again like the 2006 Patriots one-and-done home game not being able to handle being the favorites and committing unnecessary roughness and unsportsman like penalties.

Third, the Colts D has had more issues this year with offenses that are more balanced (Patriots, Texans etc.) giving up more points to them than the one-dimensional running offenses. The Dolphins game, the only game we had issues with a running attack, was before Ed Johnson was demoted and Muir being in there along with Antonio Johnson, our D-line in the middle is as stout as ever with AJ & Muir side-by-side.

Last but not least, thanks to the media for adding fuel to the following:
  1. Have not won a playoff game after a bye week
  2. Gave up too easily on the undefeated season for the SB
  3. Now, it will be bad karma is going to get the Colts

Bring it on, the media has actually bailed out Bill Polian by giving their lashing to the Colts' team which did not deserve it in any way thus motivating this Colts' team more than before.

Last edited by chad72 : 01-17-2010 at 09:47 PM.