Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) OT Bruce Campbell - I like his potential and attributes. Raw but I think a year of development would do wonders. I REALLY LIKE THIS PICK, although I LOVE BRANDON GRAHAM MORE.

2) DE Corey Wootton - Not a huge need but good value and provides depth at DE. I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM, AND FEEL WE HAVE NO OPENINGS ON THE DL AS IT IS, plus MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT get HARRELL BACK. MIGHT*

3) OC Maurkice Pouncey - Bigger and stronger than Wells. A guy who could anchor the line for the next decade. I LIKE THIS GUY, but I THINK WELLS IS BETTER-than-DECENT, is UNDERRATED. AND I THOUGHT SPITZ WAS THE GREAT HOPE AS THE BIGGER CENTER FOR US?

4) CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - Nice size and has decent speed. A playmaker but needs work on tackling. GREAT PICK

5) RB Javarris James - Solid runner with lots of tread on the tires.
EVEN THOUGH I LIKE OUR RB's, this is a GREAT PICK. MIAMI CHURNS OUT GREAT RBs except lately THEIR OL has SUCKED.

6) WR Taylor Price - Good size and speed. Developmental WR who can return punts and kickoffs. GOOD PICK, will BATTLE SWAIN FOR THE #5 WR and a good prospect for the PRACTICE SQUAD in '10.

7) OT Derek Hardman - Good size. Has experience at both tackle positions. Good run blocker and a smart kid. SOLID VALUE

7) QB Rusty Smith - Great size. Experienced. Big arm. DECENT PLAYER, but TT & MM have been FINE WITH MATT FLYNN FOR 2 YEARS, and HE'S GOTTEN BETTER with TIME. You really think they'd draft another now? MAYBE, but I DON'T SEE THAT.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 02-03-2010 at 01:52 PM.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

J-Mike88 Mock Draft 2010v4

This one took me awhile, so all comments welcome -good or bad. I gave into you suckers and do not have us outbiding the others for Peppers, sadly. I know it would be a longshot -even though I know it would help, because we are aware of TT's philosophy.

KEPT:
John Kuhn
Jason Spitz
Johnny Jolly
Ryan Pickett
Atari Bigby
Nick Collins
Derrick Martin
Mark Tauscher
Chad Clifton

GONE:
Allen Barbre
Jeremy Kapinos
Jeremy Thompson
Jarrett Bush (don’t let the door hit you on the way out)
Ahman Green (I love Ahman, and if anyone gets knicked up, he’s back)
Matt Giordano
Daryn Colledge (tagged 2nd rounder, signed away, let go for 2nd rd comp)
Donald Lee
Mike Montgomery
Will Blackmon
Josh Bell
Deshawn Wynn
*Aaron Kampman (tagged & traded)
*AJ Hawk (traded)

OFF SEASON ACTIVITY

Tags & Trades

-The Packers DO pursue Peppers as they did Chris Canty last year, but he gets too costly for Thompson and Peppers goes to New England instead, to be their 3-4 OLB.

-It’s true the Chargers need to free up some money to keep Sproles and Merriman, and they’re down on Antonio Cromartie. They think AJ Hawk will give them what they are missing at LB to go along with Shawn Phillips and Merriman, so there’s a rare NFL trade. Anyone remember the last blockbuster between the Packers & Chargers? I do…. We got John Jefferson from them. I was so happy then. I’m happy now with this, but I do like AJ Hawk. The thing is, he’s just a role player here and in our scheme, he’s a liability except on short yardage runs.

-Kampman is the one in control of his destiny, and at age 30, he decides between 2 tough choices. #1, stay in the town he likes for the Packers, in a scheme that never will feel natural to him, the 3-4 as OLB. Or go to another team that wants him, and back to his natural position as 4-3 DE where he thinks he can still excel. Enter the Jacksonville Jaguars who tried to play a 3-4 last year and are already scrapping it. Coach Jack Del Rio drafted 2 high picks 2 years ago to get pass rush, and both of those guys (Derrcik Harvey & Quinten Groves) have flopped. He’ll love Kampman, who will fetch a conditional pick ranging anywhere from a #2 to a #5, depending on how Kampman recovers and plays for the Jaguars. I will peg it as a 2010 3rd round pick. But again, if Kampman recovers fast and is able to play 14+ games for them and get 6+ sacks, that will mean the Packers and Jaguars will flip-flop picks in 2011.. in other words, it starts as a 3rd round pick, but it will be compensated more accurately in 2011 with teams flip-flopping picks somewhere between round 2 & 4 to adjust it based on how Kampman plays. I like those conditional picks to protect both teams.
If Kampman’s knee doesn’t respond and he’s only able to play a few games and does crappy, then we’d have to trade them our 3rd rounder for their 6th rounder in 2011, something like that.
*Planning ahead and getting something for Kampman becomes a win-win for everyone. Except those of us with #74 Kampman Packer jerseys. :( Things don't always work out like roses. We've had to let some talent go before, Kampman just isn't a great fit and he doesn't want to fight that anymore. Capers actually doesn't mind as he'll love Brandon Graham and he thinks he has something to grow with behind him and Clay in Jones & Obiozor.

FA Addition:
Sam Koch, Punter, Baltimore Ravens
He has been a consistent punter, able to pin opponents within the 20. He also gets good hang time on his punts, ranking in the top 10 in return yards allowed per punt. After signing a mid-level offer sheet a year ago, expect Koch and the Ravens to work on a contract extension, but in the end, he signs with the Packers after being blown away by both the Packers team and facilities last year when his Ravens were spanked like a naughty child by the Packers on Monday Night in 09..

THE 2010 NFL DRAFT

1) Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan -6'1" 262 lbs.
I believe he is the surest player in the draft after the top 10 picks. Graham finished his senior campaign with an amazing 25 TFL and 9.5 sacks. Won Senior Bowl MVP, and deservedly so. He was in the South backfield all afternoon and even made some great stops against the run. Mike Mayock compared Graham to LaMarr Woodley. Graham is too short to be a 4-3 defensive end, but he should feel right at home as a 3-4 rush linebacker. A match made in heaven with Clay Matthews. The Packers might boast the NFL’s best LB unit with Matthews, Barnett, Chillar, and Graham.

2) Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama, -5'9" 195 lbs.
First-Team All-American, Arenas had 70 tackles, 11 TFL, 5 sacks and 5 passes broken up. Arenas had just one return touchdown, but still averaged 15.4 on punt returns and 29.0 yards on kickoffs. With Cromartie brought in, Arenas wouldn’t need to play much CB in year 1 other than perhaps as a dime, and could focus on sparking the Packers kick and punt return game. Perfect situation for both Arenas and Packers.

3) Roger Saffold, OT, Indiana, -6’5” 317 lbs.
Moving up the boards, and will have a good combine and pro day. Finished his Indiana career with 41 starts, which has always been an important thing for Ted Thompson regarding his O-Linemen.

4) Robert Johnson, S, Utah, -6’2”, 203 lbs.
Good size and smarts. Johnson had a whopping 6 interceptions and 6 pass deflections to go along with 70 tackles and 4 TFL. Will give the Packers the depth they need at safety, which often is important with Atari Bigby being very unlucky with injuries. Johnson is not as big of a hitter as Bigby is, but he’s more sound in coverage, and is smarter.

5) Joique Bell, RB, Wayne St, -5’11”, 223 lbs.
Did everything for Wayne State - carried the ball, caught passes out of the backfield, returned kicks.
rushed for 1,152 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2008, and a whopping 2,084 rushing yards as a senior in 2009.
Bell is a bulldozer on wheels. A bit raw, but has a lot of upside in the NFL.

6a) James Williams, OT, Harvard, 6’5”, 302 lbs.
An athletic left tackle, James Williams was one of the main reasons why Harvard had the most potent offense in the Ivy League. The best Ivy League OL since Matt Birk. Not as raw as some people think he is. The only knock on him is he’s only 302 pounds, but his frame could easily add 10-15 pounds in time. Has natural smooth footwork, which is rare, especially from a player from Harvard. Obviously going to Harvard, he’s smarter than your average bear. He's even smarter than cvv84 perhaps. :p JK dog.

6b) Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison, 6’ 2”, 252 lbs.
Good size and simply very productive. Division 1-AA First Team All-American, Moats recorded 23.5 TFL and 11 sacks as a senior and had a great junior year with 15.5 TFL and 11.5 sacks for 1-AA James Madison. Has a nose for opposing QBs. Will be an instant upgrade over Brady Poppinga on special teams, as well as playing OLB. Also capable of playing ILB in this scheme with good footwork and size. Was once quoted as saying his favorite sound in life is hearing the wind knocked out of the QB as he hits him before he can get the pass away.

7) LaBradford Smashley, NT/DE, Georgia Southern Correctional Institute, 6’3 3/4”, 337 lbs.
LBS dominated the Georgia prison leagues, is considered mean and relentless. Claims he was falsely accused of stealing an ex-girlfriend’s laptop, he’s due to be released this April. He has no other arrests or issues with the law. With that size and athletic ability, is worth a shot in round 7. Reminds some of Eric Swann, whom the Arizona Cardinals took back in the day, who some (Mark Schlereth) say was unblockable when healthy. Smashley is raw, but he just can’t be moved by just one blocker. He’ll make everybody forget the name Justin Harrell forever. Well maybe not as that pick will never be forgotten.

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS

Greg Boone, TE, Virginia Tech – 6’3”, 283 lbs.
More of an offensive tackle than a tight end, Greg Boone had just seven receptions but was an All-ACC second-teamer. Still, won’t drop as many passes as Donald Lee has lately, and can block better already.

Kerry Meier, WR, Kansas – 6’3, 220 lbs.
A total Ted Thompson kinda guy, he could beat out Swain this year if Swain doesn’t fully recover fast enough from the blown out knee. Meier caught 102 passes for 985 yards and 8 touchdowns as a senior. A former quarterback for Kansas, he made the transition to receiver, finishing his junior campaign with 97 receptions, 1,045 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Matt Nichols, QB, E Washington – 6’2”, 220 lbs.
Nichols put up prolific numbers at Division 1-AA Eastern Washington last year (3,744 yards, 34 TDs, 9 INTs), but he didn't play any BCS competition, so we don't really know what he's made of just yet.

Joe Thomas, OG, Pittsburgh – 6’5”, 302 lbs.
Packer fans have wanted Joe Thomas for a few years. Now they get him. Not the right one though.
This one played some tackle for Pitt, but settled in at guard and played well. Helped block for LeSean McCoy in 2008, and the fabulous freshman Dion Lewis in 2009, who broke Tony Dorsett’ freshman record there with 1799 yards as a frosh.

2010 DEPTH CHART

With this Total Mock, I have the 4 biggest changes as:
-Graham helping the pass rush.
-Cromartie helping the coverage and strenghtening us depth-wise there.
-Arenas giving us some spark in the return game.
-Koch improving our punting and with Arenas, overall field position. I don't expect many punts from us though next year.

OFFENSE
QB- Rodgers, Flynn, Nichols
RB- Grant, Jackson, Bell
FB- Johnson, Kuhn, Hall
WR- Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Swain or Meier
TE- Finley, Havner, Boone
LT- Clifton, Saffold
LG- Spitz, Lang
C- Wells, Spitz
RG- Sitton, Lang, Thomas
RT- Tauscher, Gioconimi

If the rookie can’t get ready to play as backup at LT, then it’s TJ Lang’s job.

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Crosby
P- Koch
KR- Arenas
PR- Arenas, T Williams

DEFENSE
DE- Jenkins, Wynn
NT- Pickett, Smashley
DE- Raji, Jolly
OLB-Matthews, Obiozor
ILB-Barnett, Bishop
ILB-Chillar, Moats
OLB-Graham, B Jones
CB- Woodson, Harris, Arenas
CB- Cromartie, Tramon, Pat Lee

*The wiry thin Brandon Underwood will be hurt and placed on IR.
*Harris will be on the POP list at the start of the season, allowed to fully heal with Cromarie brought in.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Props on the effort to put that together but two things that stand out as far as the picks go. I'm pretty sure that Ted Thompson is not a fan of undersized corners, and although Arenas is a special teams stud, his ceiling is nothing more than a nickel back in the NFL. The other one is the selection of Indiana's Rodger Saffold; I am a big fan of Saffold but I think his best fit will be inside at guard and doesn't project too well as a tackle, especially not as the future LT that we're looking for.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

* Site messed up. See my post below.

Last edited by cvv84 : 02-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.
cvv84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

Greg Boone, TE, Virginia Tech – 6’3”, 283 lbs.
More of an offensive tackle than a tight end, Greg Boone had just seven receptions but was an All-ACC second-teamer. Still, won’t drop as many passes as Donald Lee has lately, and can block better already.
As a Hokie fan i was never huge on the guy but you cant deny his talent.

He was a QB coming out of High School and transitioned at least decently well to TE. Not extremely fast for a TE but can be deceptive for his size. Great blocker and decent hands. Is a load to bring down in open space.

Can also play QB in the Wildcat (Wild Turkey) formations
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, very nice effort and thought.

I disagree with some of your 'gone' players though.

Allen Barbre - He's cheap, versitile, and under contract.

Jeremy Thompson - If he's healthy he could help at OLB.

Jarrett Bush - For all the **** he gets, he is what he is and thats a special teamer who can sub for a few plays. He's cheap too.

Daryn Colledge - Nobody is going to give us a 2nd round pick to sign him.

Will Blackmon - Again another cheap guy who when healthy is a very good returner and dime CB.

Aaron Kampman - In the end I think he re-signs. I don't alot of trade value in him right now.

I also don't see why the Chargers would want Hawk. He doesn't really fit in our 3-4 so how does he fit into their 3-4? Hawk's still pretty cheap at $4 in 2010 so I see no need to move him or ask him to reduce his salary.

I don't think Grahm will last until our pick and as PF pointed out, TT doesn't draft CBs that are under 5'10" unless they're a rare talent. Also when was the last time that 4 undrafted rookie free agents made an NFL team? Let alone all of a teams draft picks. We also have the Panthers 7th round pick from the J.J. Jansen trade.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Props on the effort to put that together but two things that stand out as far as the picks go. I'm pretty sure that Ted Thompson is not a fan of undersized corners, and although Arenas is a special teams stud, his ceiling is nothing more than a nickel back in the NFL.
Once in awhile, TT will deviate. Nobody really expected him to trade up into round 1 again to select Matthews. The reason I think a smaller corner is feasible now is that the Steeler corners have not been tall over their recent run, and we seem to take pages out of their scheme. If not Arenas, there will be other alternatives at that spot as this is a deep CB class. Kyle Wilson has moved up too much. That might mean someone else falls. But the improvement and strides that Arenas made this year makes me think he has a chance to be a solid NFL CB.

And more and more teams are utilizing little slot WRs and I think there's going to be more smaller, quicker corners as a result.

-Barbre sucks, Breno will get the chance this year
-Bush sucks, there's no more room for him
-J Thompson will reach an injury settlement for his neck
-I loved Will Blackmon, but the ACL will cost him. He won't have the same speed, quickness, and worse: gung-ho fearless attitude on PR's
-Colledge, yeah maybe he stays but I think he will get the 2-tag and would not be surprised if a team with problems at OG takes him instead of a low 2nd round pick of a new G. I'm so-so on Colledge. He has lovers and haters, I'm kinda in between on him. I love the Colledge Experience though.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

In the Draft Countdown mock I took Mike Iupati with the 23rd overall pick. Then I traded back into the 1st round, 29th overall, to take Bruce Campbell.

Hopefully that solidifies our offensive line for the next 5-7 years with Campbell at LT, Iupati at LG, Wells/Spitz at C, Sitton at RG, and whoever at RT.

Downside is I don't pick again until the 3rd round but I feel like I drastically improved a major sore spot on our team.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
[see post - too long to post it all again]
Nice accomplishment. Lots of good information and food for thought.

-Agreed on Peppers, for lots of reasons
-Hawk for Cromartie: I hate Cro but I would make that trade. Too bad that trade couldn't happen because Thompson probably hates Cro too. Also San Diego would find a lot better options on the trade market than an average ILB that's going to get expensive and require contract negotiation soon. Also Hawk doesn't fit the San Diego profile (they like to draft their own players and put high emphasis on measurables).
-Colledge: You're assuming there is a team out there that would trade a second rounder for him and sign him to a decent sized long term deal. Can't imagine that team exists.
-Sam Koch: YES! Please bring in a decent punter. Open your wallets to this position! Our battle for field position has been abysmal for 2 years straight. If we sign a good or decent punter that would be such a huge win and help the team for such little cost.
-Brandon Graham: I'd support this pick even though OLB is low on my want list for our 1st pick because he'll be a good player and I'll take someone I'm confident in over someone who plays a position any day.
-Javier Arenas: I don't like small corners so I'd rather get someone else. Word came out a few years ago that the Packers minimum height for a CB was either 5'10" or 5'11" (can't remember which), but we played a totally different defense then so it might be different. Personally I wouldn't touch a corner in the first 3 rounds under 5'11", maybe make an exception for a 5'10" guy.
-Spitz: I support bringing him back but as our interior lineman backup, first in line at backup LG, C, RG. I realize that means new LG and C next year which I also support, though may be unrealistic, in which case I would start Spitz at C with Wells as the backup and replace Colledge whom I hate.
-Kicker: We're gonna bring in competition for Crosby because he's missed so many kicks. He'll probably still be here in 2010 (he's great at kickoffs) but a UDFA kicker will be in training camp and could possibly win the job.
-QB: Don't see why we'd keep 3 on the roster. The position is the most stable it's been in 5 years and most of that time we only had 2.
-FB: I think the 3 fullback experiment ends with Quinn Johnson no longer a rookie and I don't think it helped the team at all last year. Keeping another quality OL, DB or RB would be so much more valuable. However I could see 3 RBs, 2 FBs and 1 RB/FB.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Quote:
Once in awhile, TT will deviate. Nobody really expected him to trade up into round 1 again to select Matthews. The reason I think a smaller corner is feasible now is that the Steeler corners have not been tall over their recent run, and we seem to take pages out of their scheme. If not Arenas, there will be other alternatives at that spot as this is a deep CB class. Kyle Wilson has moved up too much. That might mean someone else falls. But the improvement and strides that Arenas made this year makes me think he has a chance to be a solid NFL CB.

And more and more teams are utilizing little slot WRs and I think there's going to be more smaller, quicker corners as a result.

-Barbre sucks, Breno will get the chance this year
-Bush sucks, there's no more room for him
-J Thompson will reach an injury settlement for his neck
-I loved Will Blackmon, but the ACL will cost him. He won't have the same speed, quickness, and worse: gung-ho fearless attitude on PR's
-Colledge, yeah maybe he stays but I think he will get the 2-tag and would not be surprised if a team with problems at OG takes him instead of a low 2nd round pick of a new G. I'm so-so on Colledge. He has lovers and haters, I'm kinda in between on him. I love the Colledge Experience though.
Disagree, Barbre if playing the proper postion (guard) he would be a pretty good lineman He is the strongest lineman on our teams, athletic but had bad bad bad footwork when in pass protect . In the run game he is phenomianal which was one of the reasons why the Packers waited so long to replace him with Tauscher (would have signed earlier) or Lang. He is only what 24 or 25. Look at Robert Gallery was a sure fire bust in his first 3-4 seasons they moved him to LG and now he plays at a pro bowl level. When you evaluate a player you can't just say he gave up sacks he is the worst player ever. Actually watch him play. He has the skill set but needs to improve feet and if moved to guard that is not even a big problem because you are right into a guy instead of working off drop steps. Pound for Pound he is the strongest OL. I've seen his workouts and the guy is a beast. Very good work ethic also.

Bush sucks...... coverage- yes, ball skills-yes, special teams-F*** no, may be one of our top players next to Martin and Havner. Look at Tracy White, you don't need to be great on defense to be worth a roster spot, special teams IS A HUGE Deal. I coach HS football and we lost our only 2 games off special teams errors, one with less than 2 minutes left and the other with around 3 minutes left. We were a punt return and kick return away from a undeated season. Can't tell me good special teams players don't matter.
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBraun8 View Post
Disagree, Barbre if playing the proper postion (guard) he would be a pretty good lineman He is the strongest lineman on our teams, athletic but had bad bad bad footwork when in pass protect . In the run game he is phenomianal which was one of the reasons why the Packers waited so long to replace him with Tauscher (would have signed earlier) or Lang. He is only what 24 or 25. Look at Robert Gallery was a sure fire bust in his first 3-4 seasons they moved him to LG and now he plays at a pro bowl level. When you evaluate a player you can't just say he gave up sacks he is the worst player ever. Actually watch him play. He has the skill set but needs to improve feet and if moved to guard that is not even a big problem because you are right into a guy instead of working off drop steps. Pound for Pound he is the strongest OL. I've seen his workouts and the guy is a beast. Very good work ethic also.
I don't know what we were thinking when we put Barbre at RT. Offensive lineman can move inside but NOT the other way around. I agree completely that he'd make a good RG, maybe he could cut it at LG in more scheme. Watching him at tackle was painful. His footwork was just awful. He would go through the motions you could tell he had trained a million times and looked good doing it, except he'd go the exact same speed every time like he expected the DE would engage him every time. It's like he thought the DE was cheating or something when he just ran around him (which happened every play) and Barbre would never make any adjustments.

I think once Sitton came in and outplayed Barbre, the writing was on the wall for his exit. I bet the coaches put him at RT because we needed someone that could play there and they really like Barbre's physical tools and work ethic, but now that we have a RG we don't need him because I don't see him doing well anywhere else on the line.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 02-04-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Disagree, Barbre if playing the proper postion (guard) he would be a pretty good lineman
You are aware that Barbre coudln't beat out Colledge at guard 2 seasons ago right? I think that pretty much sums his value. I like him as a guard/tackle backup but nothing more.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
You are aware that Barbre coudln't beat out Colledge at guard 2 seasons ago right? I think that pretty much sums his value. I like him as a guard/tackle backup but nothing more.
Colledge was pretty good for us at guard 2 seasons ago. I know I wasn't alone in thinking he would be the long term answer there.

Now after this season I know he isn't but I do like the potential of Barbre at G and don't see the harm of holding on to him even if he is a backup next year.

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Did Colledge get worse or is it just coming out how bad he is now that Clifton is running out of gas? I'm leaning towards the latter.

The reason I bring this up is because if you can answer this question you can probably answer if Barbre would be a better LG than him today. If I'm right then bad news for Barbre.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Did Colledge get worse or is it just coming out how bad he is now that Clifton is running out of gas? I'm leaning towards the latter.

The reason I bring this up is because if you can answer this question you can probably answer if Barbre would be a better LG than him today. If I'm right then bad news for Barbre.
I thought he always sucked but yeah, Clifton buring out surely puts him in the spotlight. It seemed like once Colledge get criticized he started to play well for a few games, only to regress back to his old ways later on. He almost plays too technical and thinks way too much instead of going out and mauling his opponent.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Quote:
Come on....Collegde was a high draft pick who had played rather well as a Rookie and sophomore seasons. Barbre was a 4th round pick out of Mizzou Southern St. drafted on high potential. Did you really think the Packers were looking to replace their second round pick after only 2 season when he looked pretty good?

I think the main problem with Colledge is that they don't leave him alone. They move him over to LT back to LG back to LT back to LG. When he first came in and they let him play just LG unless Clifton and Moll both went down. His problems started after Moll was traded and he was now the guy who had to move over there every time Clifton got a little banged up (quite a bit the last few seasons).
Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Come on....Collegde was a high draft pick who had played rather well as a Rookie and sophomore seasons. Barbre was a 4th round pick out of Mizzou Southern St. drafted on high potential. Did you really think the Packers were looking to replace their second round pick after only 2 season when he looked pretty good?

I think the main problem with Colledge is that they don't leave him alone. They move him over to LT back to LG back to LT back to LG. When he first came in and they let him play just LG unless Clifton and Moll both went down. His problems started after Moll was traded and he was now the guy who had to move over there every time Clifton got a little banged up (quite a bit the last few seasons).
Come on... You really think Colledge was good?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

Quote:
I thought he always sucked but yeah, Clifton buring out surely puts him in the spotlight. It seemed like once Colledge get criticized he started to play well for a few games, only to regress back to his old ways later on. He almost plays too technical and thinks way too much instead of going out and mauling his opponent.
Agree that Colledge doesn't really go out and maul people but Barbre is a different story. (unrelated to what you said, just adding to it) Let him not worry about his footwork and have to hold up fast DE's but put him in at guard where he can get his hands on a guy and get after them. I compare it your boy Iupati who at the senior bowl look amazing at LG and a top 20 pick. He is a big, strong, physical guy and was able to get after people. When they moved him over to LT he looked little a mid-round tackle at best and was getting beat left and right.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Either the JSonline or the Gannett guys graded the OL guys every year, and they ranked Colledge as the best one in 2008. I just read that somewhere this week.

He probably regressed this season because of being forced to cover for Clifton, at the same time that the damn was 100% broken on the other side with Barbre acting like a Walmart turnstyle on Black Friday.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

Quote:
Come on... You really think Colledge was good?
He was good not great but solid. Not saying he was Wahle or Rivera good but he was a legit starter.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

Quote:
Either the JSonline or the Gannett guys graded the OL guys every year, and they ranked Colledge as the best one in 2008. I just read that somewhere this week.

He probably regressed this season because of being forced to cover for Clifton, at the same time that the damn was 100% broken on the other side with Barbre acting like a Walmart turnstyle on Black Friday.
Lol, correct, correct and correct.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Sitton graded out as our best Olineman. This is a very good site for evaluating players. Not entirely correct on some things but for the most part its pretty solid.

Quote:
He was good not great but solid. Not saying he was Wahle or Rivera good but he was a legit starter.
I wouldn't even call him solid. He's a guy who we threw into the fire hoping he'd develop and never has.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

He developed fine at LG but regressed when they decide he needed to play LT also. I hated the shift! Colledge to LT, Spitz to LG, Wells to C. Do what a normal team does and find a back up T and put him in for the injuried T. Don't move a LG over there who hasn't played LT since college except very limited game time in emergencies. He was comfrontable, did a good job, and they screwed it all up. He'll bounce back, I think, if not we have Lang....Spitz...Barbre...Dietrich-Smith (I actually kind of like this guy).

I like how Meridith did a decent job for the Bills this season after we wouldn't even give him a shot. :/

EDIT: just checked it out he had 264 snaps play in 3 complete games and sub in for 5 others giving up 2 sacks 4 hits 1 pressure all at RT. Not the worls greatest but for a Rookie in limited time not to bad.

Last edited by RyanBraun8 : 02-04-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

CV good call on that site. It pretty incredible! I'm clued right now ha

- According to that Colledge was in a close second for top lineman behind Spitz in 2008.

- My home boy Babre only had 1 QB pressure at LG in his first 2 seasons (only 60 snaps but i'll take it)

- Also beside for the 5 sacks Lang gave against the Vikings he played very well at LT.

Last edited by RyanBraun8 : 02-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

No way you can make excuses for Colledge because he played a little LT the 2 years prior to this one. Maybe then, not now. Just...no.

Thanks to BK for the sig