Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was an award you could give to about 5 guys and not go wrong with.

Marvin Lewis' reasons are laid out in the OP. Don't need to add anything.

Sean Payton coached his team to 13 and 3 and has get at least a little credit for taking a paycut so that his team could hire a defensive coordinator and he deserves most of the credit for that dynamic offense.

Caldwell deserves credit for 14-2 and also for being confident enough in himself to not have to change things that worked. He hasn't had to stamp his presence on that team, he has let it roll and a lot of coaches find it harder to step back like that than to get hands on.

Childress funnily enough deserves a mention, it was his move to bring in Favre and the team is vastly improved. Working against him is that the Vikes still feel like the triumph despite his play calling and not because of it.

Norv Turner should get a mention. Anytime you win that many games you deserve some credit.

Rex Ryan has done a really great job with his team and what he has to work with and probably would have gotten my vote if I had one.

I think those guys should be the main contenders, McCarthy and Phillips would be the honourable mentions as well. Lewis is fully deserving of the award though.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He deserved it.

He turned around the reputation of a team that was the worst in the league. And the career or Cedric Benson who should've Comeback PLayer ot Yr, but he's not the matinee idol married to a supermodel that Brady is......

Wog is right about Rex Ryan deserving kudos too, his team lived up to his brags.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm suprised so many poeple thinks he deserved it. After his playoff game, I thought he could be a candidate to get fired? He coached that game horribly. He's been there 7 years and has only gotten to the playoffs twice and lost both times.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's based on the regular season though not the playoffs. If you wanted to include the playoffs Rex Ryan would probably have this thing locked up.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still, then give it to Payton or Caldwell. Marvin Lewis has always been very unimpressive to me. Most credit the Bengals success this year to Zimmer more than anything.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I'm suprised so many poeple thinks he deserved it. After his playoff game, I thought he could be a candidate to get fired? He coached that game horribly. He's been there 7 years and has only gotten to the playoffs twice and lost both times.
Well, it's a good thing he won coach of the year in 2009, not coach of the last 7 years.

Plus, he got the award because of the season Cincinnati had in relation to what they did last year. Can you honestly say with a straight face that he didn't deserve it based on how Cincinnati did this year?

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Well, it's a good thing he won coach of the year in 2009, not coach of the last 7 years.

Plus, he got the award because of the season Cincinnati had in relation to what they did last year. Can you honestly say with a straight face that he didn't deserve it based on how Cincinnati did this year?
Was Cincinati that great? I give them credit for beating the Steelers and Ravens twice, but I don't think they were all that impressive. They were definitely the weakest of all the playoff teams in my opinion. Injuries piled up but they didn't play their best football down the stretch. I just don't think Lewis is a good coach at all.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was Cincinati that great? I give them credit for beating the Steelers and Ravens twice, but I don't think they were all that impressive. They were definitely the weakest of all the playoff teams in my opinion.
Well I was basing it on their record and the turn around from last season. Sure, they prolly weren't the strongest team, but you can't take away what they did during the season. And just because they may have been the weakest playoff team, doesn't make their regular season any worse. They still compiled an impressive regular season record despite prolly being expected to finish around .500 at best.

Also, sweeping the defending Super Bowl champion (and still a pretty good team) and 2 time strong playoff team within your division is impressive.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Well I was basing it on their record and the turn around from last season. Sure, they prolly weren't the strongest team, but you can't take away what they did during the season. And just because they may have been the weakest playoff team, doesn't make their regular season any worse. They still compiled an impressive regular season record despite prolly being expected to finish around .500 at best.

Also, sweeping the defending Super Bowl champion (and still a pretty good team) and 2 time strong playoff team within your division is impressive.
Impressive enough to win over some of the other guys out there who only had 2 or 3 losses on their schedule. Going 14-2 or 13-3 is pretty impressive. I would have even given it to Norv over him. And I still think Norv is a bad head coach.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Impressive enough to win over some of the other guys out there who only had 2 or 3 losses on their schedule. Going 14-2 or 13-3 is pretty impressive. I would have even given it to Norv over him. And I still think Norv is a bad head coach.
I wasn't really arguing if he was the most impressive. Your original assertion was that you were surprised that so many people thought he deserved it, which he absolutely does. Now, was he the best candidate? Maybe, maybe not, but the point is he absolutely has done enough to justify winning the award.

And you know what, I just realized Cincy was 10-6. I honestly thought they were like 12-4. I still think an 8 game turnaround is justifiable in winning, but I actually thought they had abetter year than that.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Well does that turn around have more to do with Lewis being a good coach or Palmer playing more than 4 games? Nothing can make a team worse than crappy QB play. I don't know, I guess I just can't be convinced he's anything better than a middle of the road coach.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Well does that turn around have more to do with Lewis being a good coach or Palmer playing more than 4 games? Nothing can make a team worse than crappy QB play. I don't know, I guess I just can't be convinced he's anything better than a middle of the road coach.
This is true, but the decision in these awards usually gives more credit to coaches than it does other factors. Basing strictly on how the award is perceived to be judged on, I believe Lewis has done enough to justify winning.

My original argument was basically just to support Lewis based on the "unwritten criteria" generally accepted for winning the award, if you will, and that his playoff appearances, past and present, have no baring on it.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver