Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I think Chan Gailey got a raw deal in KC that said not sure he should be a HC.
How so? His offensive philosophy didn't mesh with that of Haley's, don't see how that is a raw deal. And he wouldn't have had to wait until right before the season to be let go if it wasn't for Clark Hunt insisting on him being kept on the staff. Owner's need to keep their mits off of the franchise and let those who actually know what they are doing get to work.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/inde...owtopic=106221

Pittsburgh Offensive Coordinator 1996-1997

1995 (Previous year)
Offense Ranked:12
Passing: 11
Rushing: 17

1996 (First Season)
Offense Rank:12
Passing: 24
Rushing: 1

1997 (Second Season)
Offense Rank:6
Passing: 12
Rushing: 5

1998 (After Departure)
Offense Rank:20
Passing: 26
Rushing: 11

Dallas Head Coach 1998-1999

1997 (Previous year)
Record: 6-10
Power Rating: 13
Offense Ranked:20
Passing: 14
Rushing: 23

1998 (First Season)
Record: 10-6 (Playoffs)
Power Rating: 9
Offense Ranked:6
Passing: 6
Rushing: 5

1999 (Second Season)
Record: 8-8 (Playoffs)
Power Rating: 8
Offense Ranked:12
Passing: 13
Rushing: 8

2000 (After Departure)
Record: 5-11
Power Rating: 24
Offense Ranked:24
Passing: 24
Rushing: 16

Miami Offensive Coordinator (2000-2001)

1999 (Previous year)
Offense Ranked:21
Passing: 19
Rushing: 26

2000 (First Season)
Offense Rank:18
Passing: 18
Rushing: 14

2001 (Second Season)
Offense Rank:20
Passing: 9
Rushing: 30

2002 (After Departure)
Offense Rank:11
Passing: 19
Rushing: 7

Kansas City Offensive Coordinator (2008)

2007 (Previous year)
Offense Ranked:29
Passing: 28
Rushing: 30

2008 (First Season)
Offense Ranked:22
Passing: 23
Rushing: 22

2009 (After Departure)
Offense Ranked:25
Passing: 26
Rushing: 20
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

An interesting hire, I think he was doing something good in KC when he embraced the spread, I wonder if he will do something similar for the Bills. Embracing the spread was more about getting the most out of what he had than anything philosophical to me and that is what it takes to coach, especially with a bad team.

Also, getting an offensive focus almost has to help, that OL needs a couple more pieces and they need a QB, outside of that, the Bills are a pretty solid team.

I also can't help but feel like Frazier is overrated as a coach. He inherited a terrific defense and he has maintained the same level as the talent level has increased. My biggest concern though is that Frazier is a secondary guy and the secondary has consistently been the weakest unit and is probably worse now than it was 4 years ago. At the moment it seems like Frazier is the "Rooney Rule Guy" in that he is the highest profile black coach and is getting a lot of interviews as a result, not so much because he is actually a great coach.

It also must be said that you have to factor in the Childress element, anyone coaching under him will be held back at least a bit by his lack of ability as a coach, so Frazier may actually be better than at first sight.

Also... Rooney Rule, it must be about the most racist rule I have seen since, well I wasn't around for apartheid but probably since then. If I was black I would find it insulting, as a white I find it racist. Could you imagine if the rule existed in any other business... Only in the NFL.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
An interesting hire, I think he was doing something good in KC when he embraced the spread, I wonder if he will do something similar for the Bills. Embracing the spread was more about getting the most out of what he had than anything philosophical to me and that is what it takes to coach, especially with a bad team.

Also, getting an offensive focus almost has to help, that OL needs a couple more pieces and they need a QB, outside of that, the Bills are a pretty solid team.

I also can't help but feel like Frazier is overrated as a coach. He inherited a terrific defense and he has maintained the same level as the talent level has increased. My biggest concern though is that Frazier is a secondary guy and the secondary has consistently been the weakest unit and is probably worse now than it was 4 years ago. At the moment it seems like Frazier is the "Rooney Rule Guy" in that he is the highest profile black coach and is getting a lot of interviews as a result, not so much because he is actually a great coach.

It also must be said that you have to factor in the Childress element, anyone coaching under him will be held back at least a bit by his lack of ability as a coach, so Frazier may actually be better than at first sight.

Also... Rooney Rule, it must be about the most racist rule I have seen since, well I wasn't around for apartheid but probably since then. If I was black I would find it insulting, as a white I find it racist. Could you imagine if the rule existed in any other business... Only in the NFL.
What about affirmative action? it's very similar (though not the same) as the Rooney rule.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Transition to 3-4 defense would be tough for Bills
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM    (permalink
clay_allison
Rookie

clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
The Bills should copy the Jets and run a multiple-look pressure defense.
clay_allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay_allison View Post
The Bills should copy the Jets and run a multiple-look pressure defense.
Probably easier said than done.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bills defensive front needs to be predicated on whatever Aaron Maybin is most comfortable with, he is the only young blue chip building block in that front 7. I'd count Poz but not exactly reliable.

as to whether or not Leslie Frazier is overrated...shrug. I mean his defense is fierce and productive. Any team that gets him is going to get a guy who prioritizes winning the game in the trenches, which already makes him a better coach than a lot of guys who currently have jobs.

Last edited by CC.SD : 01-20-2010 at 12:07 PM.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
clay_allison
Rookie

clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Probably easier said than done.
As long as we are resurrecting ancient coaches, I hear Vince Tobin is available.
clay_allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sour grapes from Brian Billick

Sounds like he would have liked to coach the Bills as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bills fire John Guy
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
as to whether or not Leslie Frazier is overrated...shrug. I mean his defense is fierce and productive. Any team that gets him is going to get a guy who prioritizes winning the game in the trenches, which already makes him a better coach than a lot of guys who currently have jobs.
How much credit does he get for that though? From memory the only guy we have added in the trenches since he took over was Allen and that was a no brainer from the top down. I'm not saying he is a bad coach by any means, I just question the reasoning for why he is being rated so highly for basically doing what should be done and I always worry about a secondary coach whose secondary gets worse under him. Especially considered we have actually invested quite a bit in it.

All of that of course is influenced by how much actual control he has of personnel and the like. It probably looks worse on him if he has more control because the defense has gotten worse each year he has been in charge of it.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post

I like the idealism, I really do, but the Rooney Rule is not pragmatic, nor does it really benefit African-American coaches. Teams like the Redskins have made a mockery of it.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote