Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Especially for 3-4 teams. Why spend 100 million on Peppers when you have Morgan, Graham, Kindle, and Norwood in the draft?
Common logic would suggest that we would take one of those guys since we need a young linebacker. However, we needed one last year too and we traded out of the first and passed on guys like Matthews and Maualuga. If we draft one (or more) of them I would be thrilled but right now I'm game for adding to our pass rush by any means necessary.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Common logic would suggest that we would take one of those guys since we need a young linebacker. However, we needed one last year too and we traded out of the first and passed on guys like Matthews and Maualuga. If we draft one (or more) of them I would be thrilled but right now I'm game for adding to our pass rush by any means necessary.
It must be so frustrating being a fan of the draft, and a Pats fan.

Bc you go into the draft expecting 1 thing, and the Pats always throw you a bunch of curve balls on draft day and leave you confused haha.

They always go against the grain. It works for them in most cases though, you gotta give them that.

They're unconventional in their methods, but it works.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
If only Marshall and Doom were RFAs....oh wait. Unless you have an ass load of picks to give up, I imagine they will both need a first and third, you can forget about it.
We have 2 firsts in 2011, we can do it.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
We have 2 firsts in 2011, we can do it.
I'd rather spend one of those firsts on Brandon Graham and one on Mark Ingram or maybe even one of the top 3 WRs next year. Or if it's the number 1 pick, maybe Jake Locker.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know everyone is saying how he'd be perfect for their team, but since it's already been thrown around as a very realistic possibility... Atlanta. Not afraid to spend money on a desperate need, and Arthur will do anything to get a winner. Not to mention, the offense doesn't need much work, it's just a few pieces we needed on defense. DE being the top or 2nd need for our team.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd rather spend one of those firsts on Brandon Graham and one on Mark Ingram or maybe even one of the top 3 WRs next year. Or if it's the number 1 pick, maybe Jake Locker.
Exactly... this

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
clay_allison
Rookie

clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I know everyone is saying how he'd be perfect for their team, but since it's already been thrown around as a very realistic possibility... Atlanta. Not afraid to spend money on a desperate need, and Arthur will do anything to get a winner. Not to mention, the offense doesn't need much work, it's just a few pieces we needed on defense. DE being the top or 2nd need for our team.
Peppers and Abraham could be pretty awesome for a couple of years, maybe bringing in Peppers can energize JA back to his 2008 level.
LB Chuck Howley
clay_allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It must be so frustrating being a fan of the draft, and a Pats fan.

Bc you go into the draft expecting 1 thing, and the Pats always throw you a bunch of curve balls on draft day and leave you confused haha.

They always go against the grain. It works for them in most cases though, you gotta give them that.

They're unconventional in their methods, but it works.
Yeah it can be. I loved the Meriweather, Mayo, and Chad Jackson picks because they were all big talents at positions of need that we actually drafted. Usually, it doesn't work that way. I'm all for it when it works out, when we drafted Mankins I thought "who the hell is he" but he's turned out to be a great player. The Vollmer pick was a shocker as well and he looks good.

Our drafts in recent years haven't been as solid from top to bottom as they were in the earlier part of the decade, hopefully we go after pass rushers and linemen this year. That was our bread and butter during our Super Bowl years.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay_allison View Post
Peppers and Abraham could be pretty awesome for a couple of years, maybe bringing in Peppers can energize JA back to his 2008 level.

That'd be awesome. Don't forget Babineaux who played at a Pro Bowl caliber level this season, and Peria Jerry who looked strong before his injury. There's a lot of talent on that DL, and they would certainly be able to get after the QB. But Jamaal Anderson is terrible. There is no other level for him. I'm not sure if that was sarcastic because he actually got 2 whole sacks that year, but he's ******* terrible.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:14 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
That'd be awesome. Don't forget Babineaux who played at a Pro Bowl caliber level this season, and Peria Jerry who looked strong before his injury. There's a lot of talent on that DL, and they would certainly be able to get after the QB. But Jamaal Anderson is terrible. There is no other level for him. I'm not sure if that was sarcastic because he actually got 2 whole sacks that year, but he's ******* terrible.
i think by JA he meant john abraham.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So far, it seems like Atlanta could be a front runner for Peppers, assuming an uncapped year.

Schefter initially said 3 teams were interested in him: Baltimore, Atlanta, New England.
Mort had 2, maybe 3 teams that may be interested in him: Atlanta, Jets, and maybe the Browns.
Schefter, on Mike and Mike, said he picks Atlanta to be his top prediction for Julius Peppers.

Assuming it is an uncapped year, I can see our owner, Arthur Blank (co-owner of Home Depot, bank as ****), breaking the bank for a position of dire need. I don't know how I would feel about it. I don't think Peppers has that much left in him, but could make an immediate impact...with Gonzalez on offense and possibly Peppers on defense, this team seems primed to make a run soon (and then later when Ryan becomes a complete boss). Atlanta seems to bring in 1 big time player each year (Turner 08, Gonzalez 09) and maybe Peppers is the one this year?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

Twinblade needs more cowbell.

I don't think the pats are that type of team to spend $$$$$ on a defensive type player.
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
I don't think the pats are that type of team to spend $$$$$ on a defensive type player.
Adalius Thomas.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
Adalius Thomas.
Didn't work out too well. Not that they can't try, try again but still. Somehow I think he'll end up a 9er.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
clay_allison
Rookie

clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.clay_allison is so money.

The Pats defense needs pass rush in a big way. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him.
LB Chuck Howley
clay_allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adalius Thomas & Rosy Colvin. The pats seem like the only positions they'll open up the checkbook to acquire are WR & LB.

CB & RB are less expensive FA veterans, but stud FA LBs apparently give BB a chubby.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:01 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Adalius Thomas & Rosy Colvin. The pats seem like the only positions they'll open up the checkbook to acquire are WR & LB.

CB & RB are less expensive FA veterans, but stud FA LBs apparently give BB a chubby.
I think they will go after him or someone like Merriman in free agency if he's available. BB doesn't like starting young guys at OLB much

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I think they will go after him or someone like Merriman in free agency if he's available. BB doesn't like starting young guys at OLB much
Damn you! I already told you to stop mentioning that other asshat's name!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Merriman in NE is definitely something I could see.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Merriman in NE is definitely something I could see.
he needs his roids back.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

I think Peppers will probably wind up in Atlanta, Peppers said he would like to play in a 3-4 but nothing is better than sticking it to your old team, twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
Adalius Thomas.
Thomas hasn't worked out yet, I don't think they would spend more $$$ on somebody else for defense, then again I'm not a GM so I can't really tell you.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Merriman is getting tagged with at least a 1st round tender, is anyone going to give that up? I think not. He will be a bolt for one more year.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Possible destination for Peppers?
(Disclaimer: I am not Michael Lombardi from the NFL Network)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...n-improve.html

Quote:
Here lies the problem for Thompson. He has a very good team thatís one solid offseason from competing for a Super Bowl title, but all his needs will not be met in just the draft. He has to be more open-minded in his approach to free agency and try to fix some of the current concerns on the team before the draft.
He should really give great thought to trying to add a player of the caliber of the Panthersí Julius Peppers. If Peppers is a free agent, heíll command a huge pay day, but he would be a perfect fit coming off the edge to help Clay Matthews rush. One more blue-chip player would really make a difference to the Packers on defense.

This is not to imply that Thompson should spend like a drunken sailor, but he should consider spending for quality. And he has to use every avenue available to improve his team because he canít address every need in just the draft. Heís on the cusp of something very good in Green Bay, and he needs to just make a few moves to get this team over the top.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Twinblade
Rookie

I think it all comes down to Atlanta and New England imo.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For an uncapped year, you can sign him to a big contract and put a massive amount for the first year. The next few small and get big at the end, at which point the team likely would release him. That way it doesn't hurt the cap for the future.

If an Owner doesn't care too much about spending, such as big market teams, overpaying for Peppers wouldn't be a problem if you can do it in a way that doesn't screw you over in the future. For New England, that is huge as they wouldn't have the money to sign him unless they let Wilfork go.

For an uncapped year, you can sign him to a big contract and put a massive amount for the first year. The next few small and get big at the end, at which point the team likely would release him. That way it doesn't hurt the cap for the future.

If an Owner doesn't care too much about spending, such as big market teams, overpaying for Peppers wouldn't be a problem if you can do it in a way that doesn't screw you over in the future. For New England, that is huge as they wouldn't have the money to sign him unless they let Wilfork go.

Quote:
He’s on the cusp of something very good in Green Bay, and he needs to just make a few moves to get this team over the top.
I strongly disagree with that. Green Bay looked great at the end of the season. The offense looked amazing with a very young Rodgers. The defense finished second. Aslong as the defense can figure out a way to stop bunch formations they will contend for years.

Getting Peppers would definitly help, but they are still contenders without him.

Last edited by Bucs_Rule : 02-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote