Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM    (permalink
yarcraft3
Rookie

yarcraft3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.yarcraft3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Bruce Campbell or Kyle Wilson... 34th pick.

New to the forum here, love to read all your guys insight, so I thought I would ask for your guys input.
I know some people have been talking about Jeff Backus not being as bad as some people claim he is, so if both Campbell and Wilson are both available for our 34th pick, who should we take?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take Kyle Wilson because I feel he fits the best combo of BPA/need. I think Campbell might be rated slightly higher than Wilson though and Mayhew repeatedly talks about drafting BPA. I would take Wilson because I like how he would contribute right away most likely, and Campbell probably wouldn't play next year barring injury.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kyle Wilson. No question in my mind.

We need serious upgrades in the secondary as well as the O-line, but I think the line can be addressed in rounds 3, 4 or 5 with the likes of Johnson, Asamoah, Saffold, Jerry, Beadles, etc. There's not as much seperation between Campbell and the others as there is between Wilson and later round corner prospects in my mind.

Having said, if Iupati fell to #34, I'd hit it hard.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welcome!
Interesting choices for #34 ...
I say Wilson for the fact that he would likely return kicks & be a starter @ CB ... 2 for 1 baby! Recently I learned he was recruited as a S so he has that mentality of a hitter. I also like the leadership qualities he showed at the senior bowl. He is a fast riser for sure!
Campbell is built like a Greek God & will likely be amazing with the speed & weight room stuff in Indy. Perfect for the Raiders (haha!) We should look to solidify the LG position this draft (Iupati?/Asamoah/Jerry) & get the LT anchor for Stafford next draft. Just my opinion, this draft should be defensively focused for sure, Wilson would obviously meet that criteria. Ok done babbling ...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
styles44
Rookie

styles44 is a cocksman.styles44 is a cocksman.styles44 is a cocksman.styles44 is a cocksman.styles44 is a cocksman.

While we need to start developing depth on the O-Line we need to fill some holes first. We need to give Cherilus another year to see what he develops into and we need to start grooming a replacement for Backus but I'm thinking next year we target a tackle (or two depending on how Cherilus performs).

My vote is Kyle Wilson. Our secondary is a disaster and only Delmas' job is safe, we need to start adding some quality players at CB, not just picking up guys off of the street and plugging them in. With Wilson's performance at the Senior Bowl it's tough to say he will be available when we pick though.

Now if the question was Iupati or Wilson it would be much tougher to answer.
styles44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wilson because i'm in love with him. him and delmas would be tighter than captain and tennille. that would be one physical in your face secondary.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
detknowitall
Veteran

detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.detknowitall could make a wolverine purr.

Seems pretty unanimous.... but I'll go with Wilson as well.

"We got our Schwartz tangled"
detknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about this dilemma, Bruce Cambell is going to be gone well before 34. :)

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tough call. I might go against the grain and say Campbell. At 6'7" the guy has size and is athletic. One drawback would be his experience (lack of total games played) but the guy is a monster.

Its tough to tell now, but it also seems like he is getting a higher ranking by most scouting boards than Wilson meaning he might be the BPA.

Also, say what you want about the secondary being bad, but I think job #1 would be protecting our $100 million investment from last year: Matthew Stafford. I'm not willing to give Gosder another year. If he earns it this year and we have three tackles then that's a good problem. Then we could let the coaching staff find a way to possibly move one to Guard if that gives us our best front five.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson because Bruce will be long gone by then. But after reading if Bruce is their take him.
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way I see it who do I trust more Backus or Will James. Those who aren't Lions fans are saying WTF is Will James? that will tell you where I stand.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think it had to be wilson as well. after reading how well he did in the senior bowl in front of our coaches i think they may fall in love with him. plus our secondary is terrible and needs to be upgraded. in terms of our oline i think the biggest need right now is OG not OT
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Bruce Campbell. Maryland players always beast. No exceptions.. Don't even bother looking it up. Terps dominate life.

Bruce would also save us money because we'd maybe possibly release Backus. Or trade him.. somehow.

Backus makes a lot of money, consistently underperforms, amd the fans dont like him. Not that the fans opinion should matter or anything, but he's got a negative stigma around him being Millen's first pick and all.. and we haven't won anything while he has been on the team. We haven't had a good QB under his protection and we haven't had a good RB under his protection. Not blaming it all on him.. but if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem, dammit. I've never seen anything that I liked from Backus.. I haven't ever seen "flashes" or anything solid. He consistently gets beat by speed rushers and I've seen him get destroyed by the bull rush a number of times. If he was gonna be a good LT, we would've seen it by now. I just don't see the "new" Lions team doing anything special with Jeff Backus at the LT spot.

Don't reach to replace him, don't take an OT that you're not sold on, but if there's good value there at the pick, he's easily replaceable.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:20 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I'd take Bruce Campbell. Maryland players always beast. No exceptions.. Don't even bother looking it up. Terps dominate life.

Bruce would also save us money because we'd maybe possibly release Backus. Or trade him.. somehow.

Backus makes a lot of money, consistently underperforms, amd the fans dont like him. Not that the fans opinion should matter or anything, but he's got a negative stigma around him being Millen's first pick and all.. and we haven't won anything while he has been on the team. We haven't had a good QB under his protection and we haven't had a good RB under his protection. Not blaming it all on him.. but if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem, dammit. I've never seen anything that I liked from Backus.. I haven't ever seen "flashes" or anything solid. He consistently gets beat by speed rushers and I've seen him get destroyed by the bull rush a number of times. If he was gonna be a good LT, we would've seen it by now. I just don't see the "new" Lions team doing anything special with Jeff Backus at the LT spot.

Don't reach to replace him, don't take an OT that you're not sold on, but if there's good value there at the pick, he's easily replaceable.
I'd agree, but right now I'm more convinced that Mayhew and Schwartz would take someone they know from their Senior Bowl experience. I'm pretty sure they will.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
True story, look up Adam Poldesh's workout numbers. Evener their Punters are beastly
Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
True story, look up Adam Poldesh's workout numbers. Evener their Punters are beastly
Erin Henderson wasn't all that hot tho

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I'd agree, but right now I'm more convinced that Mayhew and Schwartz would take someone they know from their Senior Bowl experience. I'm pretty sure they will.
Just because they were at the Snr. Bowl doesn't mean they will automatically favor one of the seniors. I think with all the JR talent coming out this year that would be very short sighted.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Just because they were at the Snr. Bowl doesn't mean they will automatically favor one of the seniors. I think with all the JR talent coming out this year that would be very short sighted.
http://www.freep.com/article/2010020...2010342/?imw=Y
Quote:
I think that with all the juniors coming out, there's definitely a better class of juniors than we've had in the past," general manager Martin Mayhew said at the Senior Bowl. "In the past, you look at that junior list, and about every third name you get excited about. Well, this year, it was about every fifth or sixth name I wasn't excited about.

"There was a very high-quality group of juniors that came out. I think that's going to make it a deeper draft."

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM    (permalink
yarcraft3
Rookie

yarcraft3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.yarcraft3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What about a guy like Donovan Warren? Player who they could have kept an eye on at Michigan.
Is he a reach at 34?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I would imagine it's an advantage to better know certain prospects. Sure if there's an amazing junior available, we'll have to go that way. But if it comes down to a good junior and a good senior, the fact that they know that senior from the Senior bowl can certainly influence the decision.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft3 View Post
What about a guy like Donovan Warren? Player who they could have kept an eye on at Michigan.
Is he a reach at 34?
In my not-so-expert opinion, I'd say too early. I even think it could be early for Wilson at #34. Yes, he is rising, but wasn't his original projection 3rd round? Also it looks like there is a good group of CB/Ss this year. I wouldn't mind waiting until 3-4th round to pick one up unless someone like Earl Thomas slipped to the 2nd round.

EDIT: Nevermind...looks like a lot of recent mocks have Wilson going late 1st. Maybe the guy has jumped significantly.

Last edited by tblain1 : 02-04-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You know it's funny about the school thing ... I sense you are being very tongue & cheek about Maryland, but I had a verbal joist with someone pre senior bowl about Kyle Wilson being from Boise St!! Really, in all their domination the past 5 years, name a solid skill player from Boise in the league? Clady & Colledge are linemen but not too many skill players coming out to the NFL ranks from that program. Just something to consider, it does not 100% turn me off from Wilson, just say'n ...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In my not-so-expert opinion, I'd say too early. I even think it could be early for Wilson at #34. Yes, he is rising, but wasn't his original projection 3rd round? Also it looks like there is a good group of CB/Ss this year. I wouldn't mind waiting until 3-4th round to pick one up unless someone like Earl Thomas slipped to the 2nd round.

EDIT: Nevermind...looks like a lot of recent mocks have Wilson going late 1st. Maybe the guy has jumped significantly.
I think the reason Kyle Wilson was down on some draft boards was because he didn't play against elite competition. He put a lot of those doubts to rest at the senior bowl. I think he's a legit late 1st rounder. At this point I would jump on Wilson at 34, especially with the state of our secondary....I like Perrish Cox to. Cox and Wilson are neck and neck for who will be the 2nd corner off the board. Hopefully we'll get a shot at one of them.
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
You know it's funny about the school thing ... I sense you are being very tongue & cheek about Maryland, but I had a verbal joist with someone pre senior bowl about Kyle Wilson being from Boise St!! Really, in all their domination the past 5 years, name a solid skill player from Boise in the league? Clady & Colledge are linemen but not too many skill players coming out to the NFL ranks from that program. Just something to consider, it does not 100% turn me off from Wilson, just say'n ...
Jared Zabranksy wants a word with you!

Boise St. never is ranked very highly on the recruiting lists so I wouldn't expect them to have a lot of pros. They go for a certain type of player for what they do and it works for them. They are starting to sprinkle some top end talent into the pros though. (p.s.watch out for Titus Young)

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft3 View Post
Is he a reach at 34?
I actually think Warren could have the most potential out of any corner in this years draft. If he runs in the 4.4's I would be very happy to take him at 34. Don't forget he had 3 different D-coordinators in his 3 years there and he still excelled. That is very impressive.