Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Atlanta Falcons First Round Pick Thread

For all discussions about the 10th pick. Prospects, trade possibilities up or down, so forth.

I will start it off. Assuming Quinn and Russell go in the top-10, here is my top-8 big board;
  1. Calvin Johnson
  2. Joe Thomas
  3. Gaines Adams
  4. Adrian Peterson
  5. Laron Landry
  6. Alan Branch
  7. Jamaal Anderson
  8. Amobi Okoye

One of those players will surely be there.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-13-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wonder how many will be busts in a couple years..
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Jimmy Williams is moved to Safety, Chris Houston vaults unto my big board. He is perfect for what this scheme demands from it's cover corners.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Houston, I really do, I just hope he's not the next Ahmad Carrol
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

i think Carricker should be there ahead of Jamaal Anderson or at least a consideration at #10, I cant think of one area where Anderson has him covered, except for maybe sacks this last year.

Carricker is bigger, stronger, faster, more agile,has has better production, better at the POA a great motor and is as much of a sure thing as i can see in the draft at the moment. People keep saying its his size and 40 that means he should be a 3/4 guy, but he ran faster than anderson in the 40 at the respective prodays and had a great short shuttle time at the combine, and is around the same size as the best DE in the NFL Juluis Peppers
Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It could be interesting. The thing that I think about DEs though, is if Carrington can pack on some pounds, he could be a real beast. He was playing in the 250s last year, if he could get up to 270 (which with his 6-7 frame shouldn't be too hard) he could really cause some problems. I am a big fan of Carrington.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

whos had a better collegiate football career in your opinion? carriker or anderson?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Jamaal Anderson is definitely the more explosive player. He has pass rush potential that Adam Carriker doesn't have, nor will ever have. Carriker is better at the point of attack, and is more consistent. Though that is a given considering Anderson is much more raw than Carriker is. Over the first couple of seasons Carriker would be the better player. Anderson I feel, would eventually surpass him. Then again, I think Anderson has been tested more so than Carriker, and still out-played him last year.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We dont have to take a DE with our #10 pick since DEs are loaded in this draft, we can take a real good one in the second round. I say Laron Landry at #10, but i dont know if we want a DB once again in the draft. Possibly we trade down.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think my board is the same, with Branch and Anderson flipped. I like Branch, but I think DE is just too big of a need, and Anderson is a pretty good prospect himself. Wasnt his 3 cone like ridiculously low...yes it was. His 3 cone at the pro day was better than alot of the RB's 3 cones at the combine and it was in the range of WRs. Very good broad jump too. He seems to have alot of explosiveness. Combine that with his size, thats really impressive. But he is really raw.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

He is raw, but in a platoon with Carrington and Davis he wouldn't have to play too often. Sporting News and Mel Kiper has him as our pick at Ten. Our team is dangerously thin on the D-Line, and has been to a fault the past two years, that's why I would be fine with any of elite ones. At 1-tech or at End.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-13-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
He is raw, but in a platoon with Carrington and Davis he wouldn't have to play too often. Sporting News and Mel Kiper has him as our pick at Ten. Our team is dangerously thin on the D-Line, and has been to a fault the past two years, that's why I would be fine with any of elite ones. At 1-tech or at End.
You think he would be able to play Abrahams position, because there is no way he plays more than 4 games.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
We dont have to take a DE with our #10 pick since DEs are loaded in this draft, we can take a real good one in the second round. I say Laron Landry at #10, but i dont know if we want a DB once again in the draft. Possibly we trade down.
i think landry is who almost everyone wants after our horrid coverage last season but he might not be there.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i think landry is who almost everyone wants after our horrid coverage last season but he might not be there.
that is, in my opinion Landry's big ?? is his ability to cover the deep ball something ive nver really liked about him, and lead me to belive he is more of an all round SS than a coverage FS who can tackle(what we want). He proved he has speed but scouts reported him to have hips that are not "fluid" at his pro day (i remember reading somewhere) and that furthermore backs up my suspicion.

At #10 a DE is, i think (according to importance of position and value) where we should go. There are two guys there who would be perfect compliments to Abraham in Carricker and Anderson and also be great value at our pick.

the fact of the matter is we need starting quality DE FS OT and maybe OG depending on fonitu and the rest of F/A so we need to trade Shaub for a high 2nd and start filling these needs.IMO
#10 Carricker/Anderson
#33 Joe Staley
#42 Weedle/Merriweather
#74 Manny Remirez

If we dont trade Shaub i truley believe we should trade down and grab Reggie Nelson (who excells at what we want and dont have in Crocker and perhaps still would not have with Landry) coverage skills, as well as being still able to tackle, at around 15-20 and aquire some more picks to make sure we have a FS DE OT AND OG at the end of the first day

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 03-14-2007 at 07:16 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I want to trade down and take Joe Staley. This draft is shallow at OT, and that's a need. Why not trade down, pick up Staley, and accumulate picks? He's 6'6" 305-lbs, very athletic, and he has more room to grow.

Last edited by Shiver : 03-16-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Levi Brown an option for you guys?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Teams around the league are 'HOT/COLD' on Levi Brown. For example; the Dolphins don't think highly of him. Personally, Levi Brown doesn't seem likely. Rich McKay is an avid "B.P.A" drafter. I don't see a situation in which Brown is that guy.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I want to trade down and take Joe Staley. This draft is shallow at OT, and that's a need. Why not trade down, pick up Staley, and accumulate picks? He's 6'6" 305-lbs, very athletic, and he has more room to grow.
yeh whatever it takes he did exactly what i expected at his proday and thought all along he would, he has everything we need in an LT it would be really good if we could trade down and work it so we have 2 mid-low 1st rounders and get Reggie Nelson and Joe Staley maybe trade down from 10 for a 1st and 2nd and then trade up from 40? and still have the 2nd from the initial trade down?? that could work but didnt check the value

#10 gone (moved down)
#17 Reggie Nelson
#23 Joe Staley
#40 gone (moved up)
#47 from the trade down IAF-DE Hawaii we have Davis so there IS time to learn and this guy has a better upside than Carricker and Anderson put together (kinda)
Old 03-16-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

i'd take the patriots two 1st rounders...

that would be good position for:

Staley, Nelson, Crowder (#40); or
Staley, Charles Johnson, Weddle; or
Brown, Griffin, Mcdonald.

I think that we need three 1st and 2nd round picks to address OT/FS/DE, whether that be through a trade of Schaub or a tradedown.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

Out of the top 5 OT's in the draft Levi Brown scares me the most,
I dont think Nelson would be there at the first of the patriots 1st rounders but i guess you never know, perhaps even trade down to #24-ish nd then move up from #24 slightly but still keep #28.

Did you think of the patriots before, or after you saw the article/thread about them working out Carricker? it certainly puts more substance behind it because they would need to trade to #10 as the 49ers at #11 would likley take him.

Crowder would be a nice DE at #40 i really really really like IAF there too
Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

The Texans have now completely addressed their RB situation. It looks like Adrian Peterson will be a Falcon, unless Buffalo trades up for him.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:15 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be absouletly estatic with Adrian Peterson. He is a stud.

But aren't the Browns still a legit possibilty?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adrian Peterson would be sick nasty for us. especially if Fonoti plays better than expected (and is re-signed after this year for what he is worth) and Omiyale wins the starting job at LT (he truly fits well there, is a great pass blocker and was a good drive blocker in college. he had trouble picking up zone blocking though and IMO could really be good with a guy like Fonoti next to him and a guy like Weiner still here to mentor him. Hopefully we have our guys gain 10-15 pounds a piece too. let's say he line goes from this:
Gandy - 6'4" 315
Lehr - 6'3" 304
McClure - 6'1" 286
Forney - 6'3" 307
Weiner - 6'5" 297
to this:
Omiyale - 6'4" 320
Fonoti - 6'4" 350
McClure - 6'1" 300
Forney - 6'3" 320
Weiner - 6'5" 310
it increases our average weight from 302 pounds to around 320 pounds. more power for the run game and better pass blocking on the left side to match the good pass blocking on the right side now.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

If we got Adrian we would have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL for the next 8 years no matter what we did lol.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I would be absouletly estatic with Adrian Peterson. He is a stud.

But aren't the Browns still a legit possibilty?
I think they take a QB. Jamal isn't the long term answer, but he allows them to hold off on Running Back until later in the draft.