Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just don't think they can pass on him. I think they'd be crazy to pass a talent like that.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
mahnee

I understand the attraction of drafting CJ and keeping him in house, but me as the biggest CJ fan, a GT alum, and a loyal fan of the falcons for over 20 years I cannot agree with any trading up to get CJ early. We have so many holes on both sides of the ball and we lack depth everywhere because we have so much money locked into one shaky player. So trade down....get a real ILB like Patrick Willis at 15 if he's still there. We cannot count on Brooking AGAIN although he is WAY past his prime and only collects those numbers by adding on half-tackles at the end of the play. Please McKay do it right for a change!!!! We haven't had draft picks of value in at least 5 years!!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahnee View Post
I understand the attraction of drafting CJ and keeping him in house, but me as the biggest CJ fan, a GT alum, and a loyal fan of the falcons for over 20 years I cannot agree with any trading up to get CJ early. We have so many holes on both sides of the ball and we lack depth everywhere because we have so much money locked into one shaky player. So trade down....
I agree up to this point.

Quote:
get a real ILB like Patrick Willis at 15 if he's still there. We cannot count on Brooking AGAIN although he is WAY past his prime and only collects those numbers by adding on half-tackles at the end of the play. Please McKay do it right for a change!!!! We haven't had draft picks of value in at least 5 years!!!!!
He is getting old, and his tackle numbers are a tad misleading. That said; I think Jordan Beck gets the nod if the team sours on Brooking, rather than a draft pick. Still, I would expect Brooking to be the starter for at least one more year.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
mahnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
He is getting old, and his tackle numbers are a tad misleading. That said; I think Jordan Beck gets the nod if the team sours on Brooking, rather than a draft pick. Still, I would expect Brooking to be the starter for at least one more year.
I was excited to see us draft Beck seeing his 40 time. Beck has shown flashes of greatness in preseason contests but he's playing against second tier competition and hasn't stayed healthy. With as much injury problems our LB corp had last year he still didn't take the field often which makes me very worried about our soft middle being in his hands. Brooking is no better and he cannot lay the wood. How many times do you see RB's make first contact against our D and then gain 3 or 4 more yards dragging our guys? We need a mean streak, and somebody that will hit an RB and make them drop. As much as I hate to admit it, the SEC PUMPS NFL talent and Pat Willis being a starter for years at Ole Miss is no different. MLB is still a need although not as apparent as S or DE. I'd say almost as important as OL.

Although Nelson is a bit more of a gamble b/c of his lack of D1 experience and size he could still be available up to 7 picks later than our 10th. If not Willis then Nelson and get more picks! We'll still have talent at the S position possibly available in the 2nd if Meriweather and Griffin lasts that long. Who just wants to see our D get nasty??
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't agree with you Mahnee.

Beck is incredible, and he packs a serious punch with his tackles. His first NFL hit...a forced fumble. He was fine all last year, except our coaching staff last year wasn't good. I think he should have gotten some play time for sure last season.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would love patrick willis but we have other needs. i would like to blame beck's lack of playing time to the incompetence of the mora regime. hopefully that was it and he is valuable.

was his 'first NFL tackle-forced fumble' in a regular season game? or a preseason exhibition?
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

preseason. He hasn't played any snaps as a LB I don't think in regular season.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to place faith in a guy who couldn't touch the field last year. I don't believe it is all coaching staff, not when Ike Reese was seeing time at MLB and SLB.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
mahnee

my thoughts exactly bama. i understand that we have MUCH greater needs, but i mentioned willis because this is a very weak ILB draft, he's the pick of the litter by far, and I believe he would still be available if we trade a few spots down. This draft is loaded w/ safety talent and one of them will still be available in the second. Trading down would only get us more picks and we need all the help we can get to fill in the other areas of much needed depth
Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Buster Davis is a baller. So, that's someone who is a viable option, his size is going to cause him to fall, but on the field you can't beat what he does.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im so sick of all these 'ifs' but if we do draft willis, that would leave d-will on the bench again. everyone seems so high on him but what was the point of tendering him if we keep him on the bench? he is capable of starting if he beefs up some and can get stronger. i would like brooking in the middle but he doesnt want to. so would you guys want dwill starting or beck?

our most dire need is safety imo. but going on mckay's track record, we're gonna take bpa as everyone has said already. i dont see us tradng down or up and schaub is gonna be a falcon next season whether it may be a waste or not.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I think PWillis isn't even on our team's draft board to be honest with you. LB isn't anything we need early in the draft it would be foolish to take him at 10 he's not worth that kind of a pick, especially not with guys like Timmons likely being there in the 2nd round. People are just infatuated with his numbers. He's solid, but I don't want him.

The other part about it, is yes, we need a Safety, but we also are desperate for OL, we are just going to have to let it fall how it does, and not reach, because if we reach, we're going to get messed up. You have to take BPA and just let the rest of it fall into place. I would be estatic to see us take a Safety or WR early on, but if they're not on the board, you have to go with other positions.

Demorrio is a baller, and is going to light it up in Zimmer's defense. People give Demorrio too much crap, he led the team in tackles (not pile jumps like Brooking) teams run at him sure, but you can't blame him for not being able to get off Guards who our DTs were supposed to eat up anyway. That was 2 years ago...last year...he was leading the team in tackles again, and was looking very good doing it. Our coaches felt the pressure to put Hartwell back out there because of the money he was being paid, not because he made our defense better. Demorrio is an incredible athlete and has fantastic instincts. He does better at getting though blocks than people say he does, but he does struggle against offensive linemen, but then again, do did Brooking and Boley...so *shrug*
Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A linebacker at #10 is out of the question. That said; I wouldn't mind Buster Davis, or David Harris, in round two.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
mahnee

Who ever said LB at 10? I said trade down to possibly get Willis and GAIN picks. People who have only heard of Willis after the combine shouldn't even comment on this thread and I am not infatuated with Willis's combine numbers. I'm impressed with his life's story and the fact that I've watched him play crappy Jefferson Pilot games on Saturdays over the past 3 years so I know he's a gamer. His combine results just solidify his 1st round status.

To all those who think 1st round draft picks on LB's are bogus, would you have taken Ray Lewis earlier than 26th in 96? How about Vilma at 12 or Urlacher at 9? The list goes on and on, but if you had to do it over again would you take them earlier? Can you say franchise?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

David Harris is also a gamer. Buster Davis is also a gamer. HB Blades is a gamer. All of those Linebackers can be acquired latter in the draft. Just like last year's top flight linebackers were all out-produced by 2nd round pick, Demeco Ryans.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

screw linebackers. we have plenty of young talent at the position already, and it has been proven repeatedly that excellent LBs can be found in the 3rd-5th rounds. I wouldn't mind someone like Black in the 4th, but nothing earlier.

needs at DE, FS, and OT/OG are far more important, and must be addressed before we even think about adding LB depth.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

With Schaub traded, this allows the team to not reach at #10, instead with B.P.A.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think we shoudl draft LaRon Landry.. Now that Houston doesn't need Quinn they are almost a lock to draft Peterson..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

If any of the following are there, they are locks; Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, Gaines Adams.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

WOW...

We swapped picks with the Texans. We get their 8th overall pick, they get 10th.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I am SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Picking #8, isn't that where we got Deangelo? I think it's the perfect spot again!

Wow...this is really exciting...
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Now our odds of getting Peterson, or Landry, just jumped exponentially.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I think Landry is my top choice now...but I still like the thought of Anderson at LDE. Wow...SO many ways to go...I think we should trade down with Houston for the #10 pick and get their 3rd rounder too.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

omg.. the guys on the main nfl board are making it sound as if the texans got the better part of the deal but i think we ripped them off. i dont see schaub doing too well despite his weapons in houston.