Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Exclamation Get it right on both sides of the ball

I have always been ready with a sly quip to liven up any dreary moment, so here it goes Lions fans! MLive had these 2 articles posted recently regarding the Lions draft & overall strategy. Both were written by “guest writers” so after reading them it is obvious they are a study in contrasts. Ironically a 20something wrote one & a 40something wrote the other, so here is a 30something’s view point on the whole thing ... Besides I am sick of people claiming we only discuss the lions on 2 threads over here!! ( By the way age does not have much to do with it I was just having some fun)

Get it right on both sides of the ball … (20something)
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...trategy_s.html

Go D, then D, then some more D … (40something)
http://blog.mlive.com/its-just-sport...d_to_retu.html

(30something) ;o)
I am heavily leaning toward the 1st article, on the debate of going BPA vs strictly Defense. Admittedly this is sort of an about-face for me … let me explain. I agree on BPA strategy but have been critical of last years “best player” choices of a 1st rd TE pick (NOT critical of the player, Pettigrew) & a KR pick in the 3rd since Williams just does not look comfortable returning kicks. (I know, hard to knock 2 picks when 6 were solid?)
I also enjoyed the specifics of the detail in the 1st article. He pin pointed players on both sides of the ball that may improve our chances in 2010 & how spot on was the quote “If the Lions get 4 starters in any draft who cares which side of the ball they play on?” Amen! Drafting his choices of DT,RB,WR,LG is just sensible. How would that look you ask? Try McCoy/Best/Shipley/Jerry ... all household names within this site … all 4 probable starters at some point in 2010! Combine said rookies with last years draft classes 5 starters & you have a solid core of young talent all of a sudden… on both sides of the ball!

The 2nd article of going just D seemed vague imho. The reason I even posted it was to discuss that the 3 step strategy he feels needs t obe followed was attempted already in the 2008’s off season. He claims Detroit should:
1) Get an impact FA - Well we traded for Peterson & Henry & brought in Jackson, Foote & Buchanon last off season. That is/was 5 starters going into camp last year that were new acquisitions brought over from other teams. My point is this is a gamble, for some of these players were a let down in production. In addition, Lions brass over valued Buchanon (paying him 8 million for 2 years hoping he could return to his glory days) By the way, with these key additions they still ranked #32 on defense. ;o) To some degree it makes sense to repeat this process this off season (see article 1’s ideas), but my point is this strategy was already being constructed by Mayhew/Schwartz.
2) Draft D & more D - Well in the 2009 draft we got 3 defensive starters! YES, they were additions to a defense that played with the pussiance of a wounded baby seal but after 1 season of evaluation Levy, Delmas & Hill all seem like quality parts to build around on D. Also, those that screamed “Aaron Curry” last draft, where are you now people? Hell’s to the no’s … Stafford was the right pick. ;o)
3) Load up undrafted FA - Again, 2009 Detroit brought in any DB that could fog a mirror (Jahi Word-Daniels was one that comes to mind). Also, rookies like Terrence Taylor, Otis Wiley, Joe Cohen etc & not one had any impact. Again, my point is that Lions brass was/is already doing this practice. Did you see the number of guys they signed right after the season ended? They even dipped into the CFL!

In summary, we as fans of the Lions are faced with a team that is building. A new front office, new coaches, new systems/terms, new QB etc.
Currently they have an egregious defense (league ranking overall #32) as well as an inept offense (league ranking overall #26) so with that being said it’s BPA … TYVM!

Opinions?

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 02-04-2010 at 10:55 AM.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol you said pussiance

and yeah i would say a little bit of both. we have to give stafford the tools to do the job or else we'll ruin him. but we also need to fix the d. i would say 1st mccoy, 2nd kyle wilson, 3rd shipley/williams/decker/bpa wr, 4th guard, rest can be bpa. i like morris which is why i went with wilson instead of best. having an in your face corner would do overnight wonders for this defense.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 02-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Specifically targeting one side of the ball is akin to painting yourself into a corner imo. Both sides of the ball clearly need talent, so some sort of a BPA vs need vs positional importance type of strategy should and will likely be employed.

Mayhew and Co. demonstrated their ability to target and get players who will help the team in last year's draft. The Williams pick was iffy, but nonetheless. I have faith that the FO will have another solid draft and likely pull another 4 starters out of it.

To be honest, I'm more interested as to how free agency will shake out for us at this point because there are many more variables which will influence who we do and do not sign, and it will obviously have an impact on how we approach the draft.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Nice analysis '78, I agree that it should be BPA and, like Prowler said, ya gotta take take of Stafford. I'm not really sold on Morris, other than as a back-up, and, IMO, Best looks like a change of pace back in the Bush mold....Give me Dwyer if he's available at 34 and it gives us a guy that can go in there and pound the ball, which should bring the Safeties up a step and keep the LBs honest to set up the play-action pass. A decent ground game should also take some pressure off of the D and limit the amount of time they are on the field.

Last edited by woodnick : 02-04-2010 at 02:24 PM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
lol you said pussiance

and yeah i would say a little bit of both. we have to give stafford the tools to do the job or else we'll ruin him. but we also need to fix the d. i would say 1st mccoy, 2nd kyle wilson, 3rd shipley/williams/decker/bpa wr, 4th guard, rest can be bpa. i like morris which is why i went with wilson instead of best. having an in your face corner would do overnight wonders for this defense.
I like Wilson too. the return skills are solid with him as well. Double the pleasure, double the fun! So do you say no to a RB in the draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post

To be honest, I'm more interested as to how free agency will shake out for us at this point because there are many more variables which will influence who we do and do not sign, and it will obviously have an impact on how we approach the draft.
Foote's agent is getting the cold shoulder from Mayhew, does not sound like he is in the fold for next year. By default that probably means we keep Julian Peterson's 7.5 mil underachieving a$$. Which in turn means we have less mula to play with (although it's looking like an uncapped year?) to go sign FA's. I would like to be optimistic ie Bass G 49ers, Floyd WR Chargers or Vanden Bosch DE Titans but not holding my breath. We will see in March noondog! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
Nice analysis '78, I agree that it should be BPA and, like Prowler said, ya gotta take take of Stafford. I'm not really sold on Morris, other than as a back-up, and, IMO, Best looks like a change of pace back in the Bush mold....Give me Dwyer if he's available at 34 and it gives us a guy that can go in there and pound the ball, which should bring the Safeties up a step and keep the LBs honest to set up the play-action pass. A decent ground game should also take some pressure off of the D and limit the amount of time they are on the field.
Hey thanks woodnick! I hear you on Best, the homerun threat is so tempting though! Vikings pinpointed Percy Harvin & look what he did as a rook. We need a Bush, Harvin type ( I suppose Aaron Brown could be a poor mans version?) Dwyer is intresting. Tough to gauge a back in that quirky offense. He did bang the drum a bunch in college, wonder how much tread is still on the tires?