Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Scouting Combine and Pro Day Thread

With the season now over and the Combine only a couple of weeks away, I thought it might be fun to discuss who everyone is really going to be concentrating on at the combine and on pro days.

I've broken my list down into round-by-round groupings of whom I think the Lions would be likely to look at vs the player being potentially available...

Round 1

1a. Ndamukong Suh - The Suh-clear bomb will just be fun to watch, period.
1b. Gerald McCoy - I'm very interested to see how he ends up comparing to Suh in the drills.
1c. Eric Berry - Again, very interested to see how he performs in his drills. Specifically the 40.
1d. Russell Okung - The thing that I'll be looking for here is how Okung performs vs the rest of the linemen at the combine, especially vs the Davis', Bulagas, Campbells and Williams of the world. I've been of the opinion that there really isn't one or two OL who really stand head and shoulders above the rest, and I'd like to see if I'm on the right page there or not.

Round 2

2a. Mike Iupati - I'm starting to lean more and more towards the idea that Iupati is being over-valued in mocks (including my own) and see a real parallel between the hype over Duke Robinson last year and Iupati this year. As we know, Robinson slipped to I think the fifth round (confirm?) last year. Nonetheless, I'll keep him as a round 2 option based on the hype and the Lions need for guards.

2b-e. Kyle Wilson, Perrish Cox, Donovon Warren, Patrick Robinson - Each of these corners has round 2 potential (a couple might see round 1 and a couple might see round 3). I'm looking for two things specifically: 40 times and the pass defense drills...especially looking for timing in the jumps, ability to get the ball (and hold onto it) at the high points, fluid hips and ability to break on the ball. If the Lions go CB, they need to get a ballhawk capable of creating turnovers as much as simply defending their man.

2f. Brandon Graham - Graham is another one of those who I think might be getting over-valued in mocks right now. His pass rush skills aren't in question whatsoever, nor is his motor. What is in question however is his ability to play against the run due to his relatively dimunitive size. I have a hard time classifying him as a three down DE, thus his value is inherently diminished. Very interested in his 40 time and bench reps.

2g. Jhavid Best - He's not a player that I'm on the wagon for as a hopeful Lions pick in round 2 at this point, but he won't make it to the third. I'm going to watch all his drills objectively and see if he wows me.

Round 3

3a. Dexter McCluster - As of right now, I'd prefer McCluster in round three to Best in round two. He really impressed me in his Bowl game and I want to see how he performs in the 40 and pass catching drills as I think a lot of his value will come from receiving out of the backfield.

3b-d. Mike Johnson, Jon Asamoah, Roger Saffeld - I'll start by saying that Asamoah and Saffeld could easily fall into round four imo, but nonetheless...
Assuming that we don't get Iupati for whatever reason coupled with the fact that we DO need to take a good, long look at guards in this draft, it will be interesting to see if any one of these guys can seperate themselves from the others. Pre-combine favourite is Johnson imo.

3e-h. Brandon Ghee, Devin McCourty, Syd'Quan Thompson, Dominique Franks - The next tier of CB's. A solid combine from one or all four of them could translate into the Lions perhaps passing on a CB in round two and instead targeting one of these two in round three.

Round 4

**This is a round where I think the Lions are really going to be taking a hard look at drafting an OL...just a hunch***

4a-d. John Jerry, Zane Beadles, Ciron Black, Selvish Capers - Specifically interested in Jerry and Beadles, but it will be intersting to see how they perform with a guard projection at the next level.

4e-g. Montario Hardesty, Ryan Matthews, Toby Gerhart - It would not surprise me to see one or more of these guys fall to the fourth. If we do not take a RB in the first three rounds, there might be great value in one them based on need in the fourth.

4h. DeMaryius Thomas - Possibily a little low for him, I think he's one of those players who's draft stock will fluctuate violently depending on how he performs at the combine. Would be a nice fit across from Megatron imo.

4i-j. Myron Rolle, Major Wright - Two safeties who I think could start beside Delmas from day 1 and be serious contributors. Especially interested in Rolle, who could wind up being one the defensive steals of the draft.

4k. Jordan Shipley - I think he'll fall simply because of his size, and I'm looking to see how he performs in the 40 and pass-catching drills. Could be a valuable addition.

Round 5

5a. Jacoby Ford - See Shipley, Jordan above.

5b. Cam Thomas - Although we have a NT now in SLH, he is an interesting prospect and could be a very valuable rotational guy in the middle of the D-line. Looking for line drills and bench.

5c. Joe McKnight - He is another interesting prospect who could end up having a very solid pro career. His 40 time and pass-catching drills are what I'm most interested in.

5d. Jared Veldheer - Mammoth T prospect, I can't help but think of Hermann Johnson when I think of him. Just generally interested to see how he performs. Might be worth a flyer.

5e. Walter Thurmond III - Missed the season due to injury, his stock has taken a serious hit. Could be another steal. Overall performance will be interesting.

That's about it as far as I go, however there's one more player whom I'd like to point out here: O'Brien Schofield. He tore his knee up during Senior Bowl week, but I think he may be worth a 6th or 7th round pick...maybe we can sign him as an undrafted free agent? He likely would have gone by the 4th round had he not been hurt.

Disclaimer: Please understand that the point of this thread is to discuss potential Lion draftees and what you might be looking for come combine time...if you don't agree with where I have them projected, that's fine. Please don't misinterpret the spirit of the thread though.

Have at it...

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't hate you throwing Chad Jones into the potential round 3 DBs. Not sure he will last that far especially after the combine, but could be worth adding.

Overall awesome collection of prospects, very nice work!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good thread. I'm going to be paying close attention the corner's 40 times.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That is a nice collection of talent noondog, great work!

Some thoughts ...
Rd 2 - If Iupati/Graham/Wilson are gone by pick #34 & say a Trent Williams falls, that might be an interesting pick. Assuming he could play LG for a year then move out to LT. His stock seems to have fallen just a bit, some feel he may only be a RT in the NFL but I think he can man the blindside. Just something to watch.

Rd 3 - I would add Andre Roberts & Leggarrette Blount. If pick 1 & 2 are D look for pick 3 to be O. (LG, WR or RB)

Rd 4 - Alex Carrington may not be here at this point but he ripped up the competition at the senior bowl & we need a bigger DE that can handle run/pass. If Jordan Shipley slips into rd 4 & the Lions have yet to grab a WR that would be a money pick I agree!

Rd 5 - tough to guage who may still be around at this point but a few guys I may add to the mix would be Blair White, Taylor Price, Koa Misi, Shawn Lauvaus & Sergio Render.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Agreed on Trent Williams.

2. I KNEW I forgot somebody that I was genuinely interested in! Blount is definitely one to add to the round 4 list. Nice.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gerhart's and Blount's 40 times will definitely be interesting to see.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
That is a nice collection of talent noondog, great work!

Some thoughts ...
Rd 2 - If Iupati/Graham/Wilson are gone by pick #34 & say a Trent Williams falls, that might be an interesting pick. Assuming he could play LG for a year then move out to LT. His stock seems to have fallen just a bit, some feel he may only be a RT in the NFL but I think he can man the blindside. Just something to watch.

Rd 3 - I would add Andre Roberts & Leggarrette Blount. If pick 1 & 2 are D look for pick 3 to be O. (LG, WR or RB)

Rd 4 - Alex Carrington may not be here at this point but he ripped up the competition at the senior bowl & we need a bigger DE that can handle run/pass. If Jordan Shipley slips into rd 4 & the Lions have yet to grab a WR that would be a money pick I agree!

Rd 5 - tough to guage who may still be around at this point but a few guys I may add to the mix would be Blair White, Taylor Price, Koa Misi, Shawn Lauvaus & Sergio Render.
I'll be pissed if we passed on Shipley in the 4th round. I like him so much that I would actually take him in the 2nd if we didn't have a billion more important needs than wide receiver. He is going to do for some team what Wes Welker is doing for the Patriots. I see multiple 100 catch seasons for him in the NFL.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson, Graham, Matthews all will be gone before your projected round you put them at. I see Wilson, going in the first, cant see the Jets letting him pass by. Graham, also, He will be drafted in the first most likey by Philly. Mstthews as well, the fourth round, wont be his landing spot. The second or third, most likely. Great post, never the less.
frubulubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

never know exactly who's going to fall. for all i know right now rolando mcclain, taylor mays, and dan williams could end up being there in the 2nd.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rolando McClain does not have a chance to fall to the second.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

neither did maualuga or laurinaitis

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my mock draft, I had Bryan Bulaga falling to you guys in the 2nd. Is there an actual possibility that an OT is your 2nd round pick? Granted, Bulaga seems like a versatile player and could probably slide into guard if need be.

I think you guys should be taking hard long looks at Bruce Campbell, Bryan Bulaga, and maybe even Vladamir Duccasse at the combine because they all might fall into your lap.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Rolando will not fall to the second. Just can't see it happening.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how he works out at the combine. He may poop the bed and fall to the second, however unlikely that may be.

As far as stud LB's go who may fall to round two, I'm going to keep an eye on Weatherspoon. How do you guys think he'll perform? Would he be a round two option if he falls to us there?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

Quote:
McClain is far and away the best LB in this draft.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

just saying, when it comes down to it players fall. maualuga was #1 on the board entering his senior year. plus teams covet pass rushers more than ILBs. i could see 3-4 teams passing on mcclain for graham at olb. there are only a half a dozen teams in the market for him and if they decide to go other routes then he'll slide.

of course he is a solid 1st round and even top 10 talent but that doesn't mean he'll be drafted there. 80% he will, but still no guarantee.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
Rolando McClain does not have a chance to fall to the second.
Quote:
Ha ... great points on LB's! Sean Weatherspoon has been projected as a slip to rd 2 on some boards I have seen lately. Weird? OLB is not our highest need but BPA could make that happen ... kid is sick.
Also Brandon Spikes will likely be there & I love his skill set. A little rough with pass coverage but sideline to sideline he hunts down the ball. He was a top 15 overall talent last year and earlier this year even. Not sure why he has fallen off teh radar but I would love to see Levy & Spikes for years to come. The all names LB crew haha! Probably a spoil of riches with the #34 pick going after a ILB but one can dream & paint scenarios.
Rolando is gone by pick 15 imho ...