Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-13-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mike Mayocks OLB Rankings

Beason

Timmons

Posluszny

I found that to be interesting for the top 3. I actually like him mroe than Kiper, and think he does a damn good job. He said Timmons's hype was pre combine when people thought he was 6'3 or something, and once they measure him to be 6'0 it basically turned alot of people off. I guess in a way fans such as us, still hype him not taking that into a consideration.

But if these are the rankings, and all 3 are on the board, what than?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Beason

Timmons

Posluszny

I found that to be interesting for the top 3. I actually like him mroe than Kiper, and think he does a damn good job. He said Timmons's hype was pre combine when people thought he was 6'3 or something, and once they measure him to be 6'0 it basically turned alot of people off. I guess in a way fans such as us, still hype him not taking that into a consideration.

But if these are the rankings, and all 3 are on the board, what than?
interesting that beason is 1. drafting is like playing battle ship its hit and miss, i like timmons and poz over beason. this guy is pretty knowledgeable so i dont really know who i like anymore. i like willis to play olb.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
interesting that beason is 1. drafting is like playing battle ship its hit and miss, i like timmons and poz over beason. this guy is pretty knowledgeable so i dont really know who i like anymore. i like willis to play olb.
Yeah I like him alot actually, and can listen to him talk prospects all day.. I tend to not stand Kiper when he talks.

But Beason I think will do well in a cover 2, but as he broke down tape, it seemed beason has the instincts, and measureables that allowed him to be ranked higher.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Slasher28
Rookie

Slasher28 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Yeah I like him alot actually, and can listen to him talk prospects all day.. I tend to not stand Kiper when he talks.

But Beason I think will do well in a cover 2, but as he broke down tape, it seemed beason has the instincts, and measureables that allowed him to be ranked higher.
Also in the combine, his footwork was great, better than Poz's but Poz's was still good, I'll stick to my original want from a OLB and that's Beason,

Jon Beason

Height: 6-1/4 | Weight: 237 | 40-Time: 4.72

Official Bio

Strengths:
Terrific athlete...Short but not necessarily small...Very good speed and quickness with a burst...Outstanding instincts and awareness...Is strong, physical and plays much bigger than he is...Solid tackler and a violent hitter...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Solid in coverage...Always seems to be around the action...Versatile with experience at all three (SAM, MIKE, WILL) linebacker positions...Has a motor that never stops...Fantastic leader with excellent intangibles...A great special teamer.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and does not have the ideal height that you look for...Frame might be maxed out...Overly aggressive at times and as a result he will miss a few tackles and get fooled...Doesn't have real fluid hips...Not a great blitzer...Gets engulfed by massive blockers...Battled some injuries and durability is a legitimate concern.

Notes:
Began his career as a fullback...Also participated on the indoor track team in the spring of 2006...Best suited for the weakside at the next level but could also play the middle in certain schemes...Could be the next in a long line of great Hurricane linebackers such as Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams...Has just about everything you look for except height and can be a three down player in the pros.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2003 2 2 0 0 0 0
2004 12 29 4.0 1.0 1 0
2005 12 64 6.0 0.0 1 0
2006 11 66 8.0 1.5 0 1
Totals 37 161 18.0 2.5 2 1

Sig thanks to the amazing jackalope
Slasher28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Beason over Timmons and Poz is very interesting to say the least. Here is how I would rank them personally.

1. Lawrence Timmons
2. Jon Beason
3. Paul Posluszny
4. Justin Durant - I hope we can get him in the second round.
5. Rufus Alexander
6. Quincy Black
7. Tim Shaw
8. Antwan Barnes
9. Earl Everett
10. Rory Johnson
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:

beason could possibly fall into the late 1st early 2nd so maybe we should trade down and accumulate some picks. because weather it be poz, beason, willis, or timmons with the exception of willis they are probably all around the same talent wise. so maybe it would be wise to trade down into the the late 1st and land either or.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Slasher28
Rookie

Slasher28 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
beason could possibly fall into the late 1st early 2nd so maybe we should trade down and accumulate some picks. because weather it be poz, beason, willis, or timmons with the exception of willis they are probably all around the same talent wise. so maybe it would be wise to trade down into the the late 1st and land either or.
Agreed, we have too many needs, if we try to get Everette, who might drop to the third, than I'd rather stay where we are, otherwise trading down is what we will probably do.

Sig thanks to the amazing jackalope
Slasher28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:

I believe now it was

Beason
Timmons
P. P.
Stewart Bradley

I cant remember if there was a 5th or not or just top 4. But SB was the 4th.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
BigBlue58KiperIII
Rookie

BigBlue58KiperIII hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

My LB rankings would be
1) Willis-who can play OLB and i think would be an interesting pick 4 our SAM
2) Timmons-Still like the guy, he produced at FSU and made alot of big plays
3) Posluzsny-Protype LB's mentality, great leader, everything u look for in a LB
4) Beason-undersized, ran an average 40, but still produced at the U
5) Stew Bradley, may be a good SAM if we need one
2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title
BigBlue58KiperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
DI
Veteran

DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DI is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I knew I liked Mayock. I've had Beason as the best OLB in the draft for a while now and he'd be a great pick at #20 or in the 2nd, though likely be gone in round 2 before us.
DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Indeed, I like how Mayock critiques of technique on plays, not just how many big plays he's had, which I think Kiper tends to lean towards.

That's why I believe he prefers Beason over Timmons. Beason appears to have better technique, and better feet from what I saw at the combine.

To be honest though, I'm on the Paul Posluszny band wagon after the Combine. He ran a way better 40 time than I expected, I was hoping he'd run somewhere in the 4.75 range, but he was quite a bit faster than expected. Need to check his Pro Day 40...

I used to be a fan of Timmons, but I'm unsure now. I fear he might have some tackling issues with his lack of size if he plays strong side linebacker for us. I'd rather have a sure tackler in Posluszny or, take a corner in the first and wait to the third to get Quincy Black or Tim Shaw in the third or fourth round. Decent speed is a need. Tired of the slow linebackers we had like Carlos Emmons. Even more, we need sure tacklers and great blitzing linebackers with Spag as our defensive coordinators.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

According to a Newsday article, it says we are going to start Wilk on the weakside, and if thats true, and not smoke, I wouldnt be suprise if all this LB talk in terms of draft is BS. I mean we did bring in Dwayne Jarrett for a workout. Lets put it this way, last year I was shocked as well when we picked Kiwi, and I am preparing myself for our first round pick not to be any of these LBs. If Wilk is our WILL backer, I think we go CB, Safety, or WR. I wouldnt be suprised if we pass on Beason, Timmons, and Poz.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
BigBlue58KiperIII
Rookie

If we dont move Kiwi to SAM we need to fill that void and i still have Patrick Willis as the best pick for us there because I'm higher on him than most and feel he can play outside, the strongside in our alignment
2007 Co-Big East Champs

Old 03-14-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Wilk is going to start on the weakside, the Giants were talking to Stewart Bradley at the Senior Bowl. He is basically the only prototypical SLB in the draft.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
If Wilk is going to start on the weakside, the Giants were talking to Stewart Bradley at the Senior Bowl. He is basically the only prototypical SLB in the draft.
i hope they dont draft him in the fisrt round..
Old 03-14-2007, 09:50 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
But i dont see that happening in the first round.. Also, I wonder if the Wilk thing true, or a smoke screen. Also, if it is true, than I wonder who they have in mind. I read somewhere Jarrett was brought in for a workout, so get ready for anything come draft day.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But i dont see that happening in the first round.. Also, I wonder if the Wilk thing true, or a smoke screen. Also, if it is true, than I wonder who they have in mind. I read somewhere Jarrett was brought in for a workout, so get ready for anything come draft day.
No he isn't a first rounder. But with him seeming to be a commodity because he is one of a kind in this draft, he might go earlier than he should. I think as of right now he will be going somewhere in the early to mid 3rd round. If he is there when our pick in round 3 comes around I would grab him if we haven't picked up a LB yet. If the Giants truly covet him, they might have to pull the trigger in the second.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
No he isn't a first rounder. But with him seeming to be a commodity because he is one of a kind in this draft, he might go earlier than he should. I think as of right now he will be going somewhere in the early to mid 3rd round. If he is there when our pick in round 3 comes around I would grab him if we haven't picked up a LB yet. If the Giants truly covet him, they might have to pull the trigger in the second.
jug do you think the cb talent is good enough to draft in the 1st? i think we cant get the same thing in the 2nd round. maybe we should trade into the later 1st and take the best LB that falls to us and acquire some picks. then take a DB in round 2. what do you think?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
jug do you think the cb talent is good enough to draft in the 1st? i think we cant get the same thing in the 2nd round. maybe we should trade into the later 1st and take the best LB that falls to us and acquire some picks. then take a DB in round 2. what do you think?
Unless we make some mid level free agent signings before the draft (some good DTs still out there), I would like to aquire more picks as well. You have to see how the draft falls though during the day.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Beason isn't a good blitzer, and has durability concerns like the scout report says, then I doubt we get him. Those are 2 red flags. Spags will blitz alot, and Reese is shying away from injury prone guys I believe.

Right now, I think my favorite OLB is Willis. Followed by Poz/Timmons. I haven't made an official ranking of my own of those 3 yet.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
If we dont move Kiwi to SAM we need to fill that void and i still have Patrick Willis as the best pick for us there because I'm higher on him than most and feel he can play outside, the strongside in our alignment
Well, I think a lot of people feel the same about Patrick Willis, I just think we don't have any chance to get him with so many teams that could use a good inside or outside linebacker before us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If Beason isn't a good blitzer, and has durability concerns like the scout report says, then I doubt we get him. Those are 2 red flags. Spags will blitz alot, and Reese is shying away from injury prone guys I believe.

Right now, I think my favorite OLB is Willis. Followed by Poz/Timmons. I haven't made an official ranking of my own of those 3 yet.

I agree, if Beason isn't a great blitzer, it would be a waste to get him with a blitz heavy defense. I love Posluszny for that reason, but I also don't mind if we go for Tim Shaw in a later round or get Timmons as he is a great blitzer also.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Well, I think a lot of people feel the same about Patrick Willis, I just think we don't have any chance to get him with so many teams that could use a good inside or outside linebacker before us.

I agree, if Beason isn't a great blitzer, it would be a waste to get him with a blitz heavy defense. I love Posluszny for that reason, but I also don't mind if we go for Tim Shaw in a later round or get Timmons as he is a great blitzer also.
Tim Shaw is a sleeper.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
BigBlue58KiperIII
Rookie

There are a lot of varying opinions on Willis, and as we get closer to draft day i think he may be gone as well but if he isnt i think he needs to be the pick. Some "experts" still have him falling to the late 1st but i want him with our pick
2007 Co-Big East Champs