Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lippard View Post
McCoy is undoubtedly better than Suh. etk is spot on. NFL scouts are beginning to say as much.
"undoubtedly".....really!?! Would they be the same NFL scouts that have been saying Suh is possibly the best DT prospect in the last 10 odd years?

Etk (with respect) is as spot on as you or I, otherwise he wouldn't be wasting time on here with the rest of us "casual fans", he has an opinion like the rest of us, lets wait and play this thing out, Suh before McCoy, Berry as a FS, not a CB, and not a Buc.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no idea what etk is watching. McCoy better against the run? Did you miss the legendary season that Suh had this year?

McCoy has two things on Suh: 1. jump off the snap and 2. better leverage (which is correctable for Suh)

Suh is better at everything else including: 1. strength (I have NO idea how you could dispute this)...2. instincts (he has a phenomenal sense of what play is being run compared to McCoy's constant overruns)...3. motor (NO ONE has a motor as good as Suh's in college)...4. consistency (not only consistency but dominating/taking over a game consistency).

Suh took over games against 1. Va Tech 2. Missouri 3. Oklahoma 4. KSU 5. Colorado 6. Texas

McCoy took over 2 games: 1. BYU and 2. Texas (and neither were on the level of Suh's dominance).

With that said, I am obviously still in love with McCoy (check the sig), but you guys need to go back and watch Suh again.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I'm absolutly stunned....!?! "He's the clear-cut better prospect. He's more athletic and has a more complete game. He has more upside and less weaknesses", are you sure you haven't got the names wrong, or maybe you've been looking at the wrong "tapes"!?!

So Suh get's blown up on occasions, is that due to the, "occasional" double team!?!

Suh is by far the superior run defender and allround DT, they may have different physical attributes which account for their different playing styles, but Suh will go before McCoy regardless of scheme.

Both players are being overhyped, thats the NFL circus for you, but don't mistake who the better player/prospect is, it's not even a contest, I like McCoy, and if Suh is off the board, I'd be more than happy to have him as a Buc.

As for Berry, he'll make a superb FS in the NFL, we already have a great one, so we don't need him!
He was pretty dour by his standards in Montes T2, he looked out of place in the box IMO, he took poor angles in run support, and seemed to lack upper body strentgh.
Why on earth we would want to convert him to CB is beyond me, though I think he played QB and CB in high school, maybe thats why we're happy to entertain the idea about letting JJ go to the Rams!?! (raised eye's)

"We need an impact CB much more than an upgrade over Piscitelli" that (with respect) is the only thing I agree with you on, which is why we'll take Haden if Mc/Suh are both gone, we may trade down to do it, (if possible) otherwise we'll take him at #3.
Merlin...I figured you knew me well enough to give me the credit instead of resorting to the tried and true "wrong film" argument. All of the knowledgeable guys on this site (and Mike Mayock) are saying similar things. The masses buy the Suh hype because of his college dominance. I'm completely on that bandwagon as I think he's one of the most dominant CFB players of all time. With that being said, you have to evaluate the player critically instead of just saying "he made plays so that's that".

Suh gets double-teamed a ton, and he often breaks out of those double teams with elite upper body strength to club linemen. The problem I have with him is in head-to-head run blocking he often gets driven back. That's a huge concern for a potential #1 overall pick. Many of his HIGHLIGHTS show him getting driven back only to recover by shedding the block to the side. That's nice and all, but it won't fly in the NFL.

Suh has a great all-around game, but he's lacking 1 key attribute. McCoy is a better overall athlete and has less weaknesses. I struggle to find any weakness with McCoy, in fact. Suh is only the superior run defender if you believe that his method of shedding blockers will work for him in the NFL...I don't.

I don't think either player has been overhyped. People are just mistaken about Suh. He's earned every bit of praise considering his physical fitness and work ethic this past year, both on the field and in the gym.

Thanks for proving my point that we shouldn't draft Berry to play S. We need our SS to be like an extra linebacker at times. As hard as he tries, Berry just doesn't have the size to come up in the box like Flip often did.

Why would we convert him to CB? Why not? Lots of schools were recruiting him as a CB out of HS. He has elite size, speed, explosiveness, agility, quickness, playmaking ability, run support etc. for the position. Sounds like a damn good corner to me.

Haden is hugely overrated. I wouldn't take him in the top 15, let alone the top 5. He has extremely tight hips and it's not like he has exceptional size to make up for it. His shortcomings were masked by the elite surrounding talent on the UF defense, and he'll get burnt a lot in the NFL. Syd'quan Thompson would give us much better value later in the draft as he's a similar player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
I have no idea what etk is watching. McCoy better against the run? Did you miss the legendary season that Suh had this year?

McCoy has two things on Suh: 1. jump off the snap and 2. better leverage (which is correctable for Suh)

Suh is better at everything else including: 1. strength (I have NO idea how you could dispute this)...2. instincts (he has a phenomenal sense of what play is being run compared to McCoy's constant overruns)...3. motor (NO ONE has a motor as good as Suh's in college)...4. consistency (not only consistency but dominating/taking over a game consistency).

Suh took over games against 1. Va Tech 2. Missouri 3. Oklahoma 4. KSU 5. Colorado 6. Texas

McCoy took over 2 games: 1. BYU and 2. Texas (and neither were on the level of Suh's dominance).

With that said, I am obviously still in love with McCoy (check the sig), but you guys need to go back and watch Suh again.
Since you chose to take the high road and give me the usual "what are you watching" business...how bout I ask you this...have you ever played football? I understand where you're coming from, but you're overlooking some key things.

Strength is not as simple as Madden 10 makes it. There's upper body strength and lower body strength. Suh has incredible upper body strength. What I'm (among others) disputing is his lower body strength. He doesn't have a powerful trunk and he doesn't get under the pads of opposing offensive linemen and drive them back. As a matter of fact, I've seen him get driven back on numerous occasions. In his Jr. year against Clemson he got taken for a ride and almost left the screen.

You obviously see run defense from the Suh perspective, which is throwing blockers aside and making tackles. I see run defense as plugging your gap and forcing the back to cutback or take a loss. That is how NFL football works. The defensive linemen control a gap and it is up to the linebackers to penetrate and make tackles. It's great that Suh got 85 tackles as a Senior or whatever, but it's a different ballgame in the NFL. He won't be able to physically dominate the way he did in college, and that will completely neutralize his game. No one is gonna bat Steve Hutchinson or Alan Faneca (let alone Arron Sears or Davin Joseph) to the side, so you need to anchor to have a functional defense. McCoy is MUCH better at anchoring than Suh.

This is my sticking point with Suh. I LOVE his upper body strength, arm length, production, motor, ability to disrupt passing lanes. I really think he's the complete player minus the lower body strength, but that's a HUGE weakness and it will hold him back from carrying over his dominance from college to the pros.

I'm also gonna be picky and say that McCoy is quicker, more explosive and more agile than Suh. His performance against Florida in the NC was probably the most impressive I've ever seen from a DT. Seeing a DT shoot in the backfield and disrupt plays, race down ballcarriers for TFLs on the sideline, and juke out the offense after making an INT...wow. That's an athlete you can work with.

Also, you mention motor, instincts and consistent dominance as major strengths for Suh, but keep in mind that college production does not equal NFL success. Nick Reed from Oregon wasn't even drafted IIRC. Miami's Kareem Brown had over 10 sacks one year...where is he? Meanwhile Calais Campbell was dogged on these forums for a "lack of production" his Jr. year.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ETK,

I am on board with you. If we were to trade up, I would take McCoy. I was a true fan of Suh and thoguht McCoy was a bit overhyped at first, until I started watching video on him. Guy is quick and fits our defensive scheme. Dude is very aggressive.

I honestly would be happy with either, but reembmer, McCoy is 21-22 years old, while Suh is 23-24 years old rookie and has had injury history with his ACL in the past. McCoy has bigger upside.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM    (permalink
George Lippard
Rookie

George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

etk absolutely kills it. per usual.
George Lippard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

etk I looked at your profile like 4 days ago and saw that you hadn't been on for like 3 months. I'm glad you're back!

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why you would bring up Suh's junior game vs Clemson as an example of his poor run defense; the 2009 Suh is an entirely different beast. But lets not use words, lets use film.

Now, I am not saying you havent been watching film and I had no intention of "taking the high road" but watch these videos and count how many times he gets driven off the ball like you say. I am serious, try it out. You too, George Lippard. Keep in mind, I watch for Highlights and Lowlights on all my videos, so if there are times of him getting destroyed, they will be in the videos.

As for his lower body strength being a huge weakness: why then is his bullrush so epic? And he does it while rushing too high, which is even more of a sign of strong legs. Imagine if he bullrushed with better form.

I would be shocked if Mayock did not move Suh up to #1 very soon. Mayock's rankings are unimportant untill around March when he actually gets heavily into watching film.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how I feel about this. If the Bucs are going to get Suh, McCoy, or Berry, all of which are around the same talent level in my opinion, they might as well waste some picks doing it.

But I guess the Bucs' aren't too down with Eric Berry with Tanard Jackson already at FS?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 AM    (permalink
George Lippard
Rookie

George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.George Lippard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

(I HOPE) They would either convert EB to corner or let him roam and do his versatility thing. Pigeonholing him to FS wouldn't be fully utilizing his talents. Plus, in the 2-deep FS/SS are interchangeable anymore.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I don't know how I feel about this. If the Bucs are going to get Suh, McCoy, or Berry, all of which are around the same talent level in my opinion, they might as well waste some picks doing it.

But I guess the Bucs' aren't too down with Eric Berry with Tanard Jackson already at FS?
Getting a stud at DT would improve the team's defense more than than one at safety.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

ETK: "Merlin...I figured you knew me well enough to give me the credit instead of resorting to the tried and true "wrong film" argument. All of the knowledgeable guys on this site (and Mike Mayock) are saying similar things. The masses buy the Suh hype because of his college dominance. I'm completely on that bandwagon as I think he's one of the most dominant CFB players of all time. With that being said, you have to evaluate the player critically instead of just saying "he made plays so that's that".

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy your post's and threads a great deal, "thought out/informitive/knowledgeable" are words that spring to mind.

In regard to the, "wrong film" quip, I was honestly giving you the benifit of the doubt (respectfully)

My opinions of Suh are my own, they just happen to be shared by others, as do your's, which is why I made a point of saying, "they may have different physical attributes which account for their different playing styles", rather than saying "he made plays so that's that", as you suggested, stats are for stataticians, not football players.

ETK: "Suh gets double-teamed a ton, and he often breaks out of those double teams with elite upper body strength to club linemen. The problem I have with him is in head-to-head run blocking he often gets driven back. That's a huge concern for a potential #1 overall pick. Many of his HIGHLIGHTS show him getting driven back only to recover by shedding the block to the side. That's nice and all, but it won't fly in the NFL"

Why does he need to be "double-teamed a ton"!?! I understand your point regarding his "elite upper body strength" though I can't see anything that makes me believe he hasn't the lower body strength for the next level? as for his head-to-head run blocking, I see a man taking control of his blocker, and adjusting to the ball, I don't see him being "driven back"!?!

ETK: "Suh has a great all-around game, but he's lacking 1 key attribute. McCoy is a better overall athlete and has less weaknesses. I struggle to find any weakness with McCoy, in fact. Suh is only the superior run defender if you believe that his method of shedding blockers will work for him in the NFL...I don't"

McCoy has his weaknesses like everyone else IMO.

In comparison to Suh, Me Likey Rookies pretty much nailed it, "McCoy has two things on Suh: 1. jump off the snap and 2. better leverage (which is correctable for Suh)

Berry:

ETK: "Thanks for proving my point that we shouldn't draft Berry to play S. We need our SS to be like an extra linebacker at times. As hard as he tries, Berry just doesn't have the size to come up in the box like Flip often did"

No arguement from me at all.

ETK: "Why would we convert him to CB? Why not? Lots of schools were recruiting him as a CB out of HS. He has elite size, speed, explosiveness, agility, quickness, playmaking ability, run support etc. for the position. Sounds like a damn good corner to me"

I could be mistaken, but I think he played one game as a CB for Tenn, after that, he started at FS. I'm not doubting his athletic ability, but he has poor technique in regards to his backpedal etc, I'm not saying he couldn't be coached up, but it's not as easy as switching from CB to S, Ronnie Lott/Rolle off the top of my head, he's seeing the field from a completly different perspective, and as I pointed out earlier he also played QB at high school, though I doubt we'll see him under center any time soon ;o)

ETK: "Haden is hugely overrated. I wouldn't take him in the top 15, let alone the top 5. He has extremely tight hips and it's not like he has exceptional size to make up for it. His shortcomings were masked by the elite surrounding talent on the UF defense, and he'll get burnt a lot in the NFL"

TIGHT HIPS.....!?!

His hips are a strong point, if he lacks anything it's height, other than that he's an outstanding prospect.

Last edited by Merlin : 02-23-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 AM    (permalink
ABoyNamedSuh
Rookie

ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.ABoyNamedSuh could make a wolverine purr.

This thread is full of awesomeness. Seriously, love reading all of your posts, helping make me the smartest man in the room regarding the top 2 defensive tackle prospects in the upcoming draft.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
etk I looked at your profile like 4 days ago and saw that you hadn't been on for like 3 months. I'm glad you're back!
I've been lurking the whole time, but I never had any real reason to post. This forum got boring recently and it's no surprise that you, T24L, Chucky, etc. have been inactive. Now that we're getting into the meat of draft season I see the opportunity to have some quality discussion in this team forum.

Quote:
I don't know why you would bring up Suh's junior game vs Clemson as an example of his poor run defense; the 2009 Suh is an entirely different beast. But lets not use words, lets use film.

Now, I am not saying you havent been watching film and I had no intention of "taking the high road" but watch these videos and count how many times he gets driven off the ball like you say. I am serious, try it out. You too, George Lippard. Keep in mind, I watch for Highlights and Lowlights on all my videos, so if there are times of him getting destroyed, they will be in the videos.

As for his lower body strength being a huge weakness: why then is his bullrush so epic? And he does it while rushing too high, which is even more of a sign of strong legs. Imagine if he bullrushed with better form.

I would be shocked if Mayock did not move Suh up to #1 very soon. Mayock's rankings are unimportant untill around March when he actually gets heavily into watching film.
"The 2009 Suh is an entirely different beast" - I agree that he improved a lot in both physically and technically. That's why I moved him up from being a late 1st rounder to a top 10-15 pick. Although he has improved his lower body strength, 1st-step quickness and leverage, he still has and always will have slim legs.

He only gets driven back a few times, and it's never more than a yard or so. That's a great improvement, but even in watching him bullrush effectively he still seems to lack the power that you want in a disruptive interior linemen. He shows good leverage a lot of the time and his upper body strength is phenomenal, but he doesn't explode through his hips like McCoy.

Bullrushing high shows strong chest and arms. That's my point. He can get away with that at the college level, but in the NFL he will have to sink his hips and really drive his legs.

Suh is a great player. I'm not predicting him to bust (although I did in the past before his improvement). The issue at stake here is "who do we draft". I don't think we should draft Suh because it would be a disaster to have a DT that doesn't anchor effectively when we play teams like Carolina and Atlanta twice a year.

Quote:
Why does he need to be "double-teamed a ton"!?! I understand your point regarding his "elite upper body strength" though I can't see anything that makes me believe he hasn't the lower body strength for the next level? as for his head-to-head run blocking, I see a man taking control of his blocker, and adjusting to the ball, I don't see him being "driven back"!?!

McCoy has his weaknesses like everyone else IMO.

Berry:

I could be mistaken, but I think he played one game as a CB for Tenn, after that, he started at FS. I'm not doubting his athletic ability, but he has poor technique in regards to his backpedal etc, I'm not saying he couldn't be coached up, but it's not as easy as switching from CB to S, Ronnie Lott/Rolle off the top of my head, he's seeing the field from a completly different perspective, and as I pointed out earlier he also played QB at high school, though I doubt we'll see him under center any time soon ;o)

Haden:

TIGHT HIPS.....!?!

His hips are a strong point, if he lacks anything it's height, other than that he's an outstanding prospect.
In regards to Suh....not much to say other than the explosive power that's lacking when I watch him on film. I wish I could say he had it, because that would make him a truly legendary prospect, but I don't see it.

McCoy is not a perfect prospect, but he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses imo. There's nothing about his game that strikes me as bad or even below-average.

Sounds to me like you are in favor of drafting Berry for CB, but you're letting conservatism get in the way. Obviously it's a projection when a player switches position, but Berry has all of the tools to transition effectively from S to CB. CB is a completely different mentality from S, but it's not an earth-shattering switch. We have coaches that could help him make a fast and smooth transition....see, fast and smooth (and size), that's what you want from a top 5 CB.

Haden definitely has tight hips. He doesn't change directions smoothly and often slips/trips when making cuts. He struggles in off-man coverage - Brandon LaFell literally ran right by him despite an 8 yard cushion. He'll be a liability when left on an island. If he was a Sr. he would've been exposed at the Senior Bowl.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Cool

We're not going to convince each other to change our opinions, rather than play, "tit for tat", I'm gonna hope we can agree to disagree, otherwise we're gonna keep reapeating ourselves, as for "Sounds to me like you are in favor of drafting Berry for CB"....I'm not in favor of drafting him at all!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
We're not going to convince each other to change our opinions, rather than play, "tit for tat", I'm gonna hope we can agree to disagree, otherwise we're gonna keep reapeating ourselves, as for "Sounds to me like you are in favor of drafting Berry for CB"....I'm not in favor of drafting him at all!!!
You said it yourself that he has all the tools to play CB....shrug. It's our biggest need. Oh well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-23-2010, 04:44 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:c...d-facepalm.jpg

I still would prefer Eric Berry over Suh, but one one condition: we play Berry at CB. We need an impact CB much more than an upgrade over Piscitelli,
I'm with you Etk that we need a CB badly... But we need an upgrade over Piscitelli just as badly, he might be top 5 worst SS in the NFL.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
I'm with you Etk that we need a CB badly... But we need an upgrade over Piscitelli just as badly, he might be top 5 worst SS in the NFL.
I agree, but who do we have at CB? We can sign a competent SS in FA. Plus Piscitelli still has good measurables, so I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
George Lippard
Rookie

We are ******, royally, at cornerback. Assuming Barber retires following this season.

Who else is there? Elbert Mack is a slot type at his very best and the rest are scrubs.

We need another young corner that can man up against #2s in the very near future.

I don't draft for need but the best player in the draft fits a big need and should be available at #3.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

etk: "Haden definitely has tight hips. He doesn't change directions smoothly and often slips/trips when making cuts. He struggles in off-man coverage - Brandon LaFell literally ran right by him despite an 8 yard cushion. He'll be a liability when left on an island."

etk, there you go using 2008 film again. I assume you are referring to this game:

here is his 2009 video:

btw, I do not want Haden on the Bucs. For me it is Suh/McCoy/Berry or bust but I do not think Haden is as bad as you think he is.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

on Suh:

you went from "He doesn't have a powerful trunk and he doesn't get under the pads of opposing offensive linemen and drive them back. As a matter of fact, I've seen him get driven back on numerous occasions."

to

"He only gets driven back a few times, and it's never more than a yard or so."

Seems like a big difference, perhaps you were a bit off on your 2009 assesement of Suh?

I think the main thing we disagree on is the whole anchoring against the run. I believe Suh is superior (and that seems to be the general thought everywhere), while you believe McCoy is superior. My McCoy 2009 videos do show him solidly anchoring against the run but Suh just made so many more plays vs the run, and it wasnt 5 yards down the field after getting driven back and disengaging as you said. (That would be Barrett Ruud).
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
etk: "Haden definitely has tight hips. He doesn't change directions smoothly and often slips/trips when making cuts. He struggles in off-man coverage - Brandon LaFell literally ran right by him despite an 8 yard cushion. He'll be a liability when left on an island."

etk, there you go using 2008 film again. I assume you are referring to this game:

btw, I do not want Haden on the Bucs. For me it is Suh/McCoy/Berry or bust but I do not think Haden is as bad as you think he is.
You keep trying to score extra views from me ;)

I see the same things in that video that I do in all the others. Watch the first interception he makes: he doesn't explode out of his break, and when he goes to change direction and run upfield he almost falls flat on his face. Top 10 corners need to have more length and fluid athletic ability. Haden is a late 1st guy.

BTW you don't think Dez Bryant is an option?

Quote:
on Suh:

you went from "He doesn't have a powerful trunk and he doesn't get under the pads of opposing offensive linemen and drive them back. As a matter of fact, I've seen him get driven back on numerous occasions."

to

"He only gets driven back a few times, and it's never more than a yard or so."

Seems like a big difference, perhaps you were a bit off on your 2009 assesement of Suh?

I think the main thing we disagree on is the whole anchoring against the run. I believe Suh is superior (and that seems to be the general thought everywhere), while you believe McCoy is superior. My McCoy 2009 videos do show him solidly anchoring against the run but Suh just made so many more plays vs the run, and it wasnt 5 yards down the field after getting driven back and disengaging as you said. (That would be Barrett Ruud).
I've seen him get driven back on numerous occasions. This is a true statement. I saw it a lot on Jr. film, and a little bit on Sr. film.

He only got driven back a few times. This is again a true statement, based on the 2 clips I watched prior to making that post.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive. I wasn't off on my Suh assessment. I've seen plenty of him this year prior to this discussion. I watched a couple of clips again because you posted them and just to be sure.

Suh does make many more plays against the run, but I don't see him drive back the G/C and force the RB to cutback or take a loss very often. He's not gonna be pulling linemen to the side in the NFL like he did in college. He's gonna have to transition from being a catalyst and tackle-maker to being a support player. McCoy has Tommie Harris/Kevin Williams ability in that he does his job most of the game AND makes a few key plays off individual effort.

But I have to reinforce that I'm not disputing the plays that are being made by either player, I'm arguing about the athletic ability of each player. Suh did a solid job of driving back linemen his Sr. year (albeit nothing special for "the greatest DT prospect in 10-15 years"), but I don't see the explosive power from his lower body that's necessary to anchor as an interior lineman.

Again, I'm projecting him to the next level. I may be wrong in the end, or I may end up right. I know exactly what kind of player Suh is, but the question is how well that player will translate to the pros.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

"I've seen him get driven back on numerous occasions. This is a true statement. I saw it a lot on Jr. film, and a little bit on Sr. film."

So (almost) your whole arguement is based on junior film. You can almost throw that film out because of his improvement from junior to senior year.

"Suh does make many more plays against the run, but I don't see him drive back the G/C and force the RB to cutback or take a loss very often."

I see him stoning the G/C and making the RB take a loss or get no yardage many, many, many times in those videos. Waaaaaaaaaay more than you see McCoy do it. I think we need to agree to disgree, but let me just say that I think you are having a hard time changing your mind becaue before the season you engraved in your mind that McCoy is greatest thing ever. I did too, but the 2009 season changed that for me.

I love Dez Bryant but not at 3 (and not over Berry and not with the 2nd round options of DWilliams, Benn, Tate, DThomas, Gilyard).
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
George Lippard
Rookie

I just hope Suh busts, horribly. The **** over at TBBBB deserve as much.

etk > Scott Wright. And it isn't close...sort of like McCoy and Suh.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
You said it yourself that he has all the tools to play CB....shrug. It's our biggest need. Oh well.
When did I say that!?!

Are you eluding to the fact I mentioned his athletic ability, and that he could be "coached up", if thats the case, it would have to be a pretty piss poor GM to draft a "project" at #3!?! Oh well.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

In regards to a S, I haven't given up on Sabby just yet, but should the FO think differently, we could pick one up at any time, the draft is very deep.

And yes, everyone banging on about the lack of depth and potential scenarios surrounding the CB position, are right to be concerned, I'm still on the Haden bandwagon, but as long as we address the position in the first 2rd's, we should hopefully be set.