Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
no, letting the other team score is NEVER a good thing. period. you should STOP them from scoring. and what? if neither defense made the stop? all game, you're suggesting that neither defense stopped the other team, and these are playoff teams?

hang on, give me a minute to make up a completely idiotic scenario that bears no relation whatsoever to reality to base my entire opinion around. it'll be fun because everytime you argue against it, i can just double down, or invent new, bizarre twists so that i can continue to base my entire argument on it.

the coin toss at the beginning of the game is a variable out of either team's control. why aren't you advocating for getting rid of it? hmm... maybe because it would be stupid, given that each team then has four quarters to make up for it. or to avoid another one.
well the arizona vs green bay didnt really have that great of defenses and was the highest scoring game ive ever seen in the playoffs. It ultimately did get decided by defense, but in a freaky way (rodgers kicked a ball up and dansby picked it off and ran for a TD). Its an IF (not good for an argument i know) but if that had not happened and overtime had been decided by an offensive field goal wouldn't it have been unfair to the arizona offense which produced as much as green bay?

Thats the point, an unfair outcome is something that is an "IF" type situation that should be protected against. Its why we have instant replay, to prevent against unfair outcomes.

"Its part of the game" is a fair statement, but it is not fair in playoff games where millions of dollars are supporting these players and teams. Thats my opinion you can disagree and i would fully understand.

That is nothing like an overtime cointoss. The only thing that decides is strategy toward weather, home advantage (normally teams have their own preference some like defense first to get the crowd with them, or offense first to let the defense get a small taste of the feel of the game through SP teams). Either way both teams have the opportunity to start with the ball at the beginning of a half.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I would like to direct you to the Cardinals/Packers playoff game ;)
i was thinking the same thing obviously ^^^^

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL overtime rules suck and they should get changed.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the whole "with a good kick return than you only need 30-35 yards to kick a field goal" argument. I could just as easily say "with good kick coverage you only need three good defensive plays to get the ball in good field position." If you want the football, don't let them get a good kick return and if you do, don't let them get the extra 30-35 yards. The average kick off return last year was around 22-23 yards. Get a good kicker who can kick the ball into the endzone and half your problem is already solved.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

alright so apparently to try to prove anything of my argument i will either have to deduce small agreements from you, and im not willing to do so right now, but probably tomorrow.

First i'll start with:

Why do you not consider "fair" being a valid part to the argument?

What is fair, by definition, to you?

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not fair how much the coin flip decides the outcome. To be fair they should challenge each teams offense, defense, kick coverage, and kick return.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
sure, and there ARE shoot outs. however, the cardinals didn't allow a score in the first quarter, and green bay only allowed one in the fourth. clearly both teams COULD play defense.
Don't forget the missed game winning chip shot from Rackers.

Quote:
that's not what happened and arguing conjecture is pointless. green bay was passing and allowed a sack on 3rd down, even ignoring the fumble and ensuing return. if rodgers had just gone down, they were punting from their 17 yard line, and would've given the cardinals the ball at their own 40 (based on their 41 ypp average) or, at the 46, given breaston's 6 ypr average in that game. when a good team plays the kickoff and then plays defense, they do good things for their offense. if they can't do that when it counts, they have no business winning.
Ugh Breaston is probably the least dynamic punt returner in the game :(

Quote:
millions of dollars support them all season. i'm perfectly willing to listen to any argument (and could even change my mind) that doesn't involve any discussion of 'fair'. fair is not an objective standard, and is thus worthless in the discussion.
I feel that the current overtime system loses out on some of the potential drama/entertainment. At the moment teams are rewarded for playing conservatively and going for a field goal, at least under the new proposals teams have an incentive for trying for the TD. I know it's not the strongest arguement but it always annoys me when a team gets to the halfway line and then goes into it's shell playing for the field goal.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To be honest I think the whole issue is overblown and would be in favour of getting rid of overtime in the regular season altoghether.

I am not really vested in them changing the rules but will play devils advocate here.

I have never liked the "defense is part of the game too" argument. Why should only one sides defense have to perform then?

Plus it's not like teams are designed with their offense and defense being of equal ability, why punish teams that are built around their offense. Look at the Colts, they have a defense designed to limit the big play, force opponents go on long drives and needs to play with a lead to function at it's best (obviously not the case in overtime). I don't really see them as a group that can force a big stop when it's needed especially if the the opposing offense only needs to get 30-40 yards. Alot of offensive teams follow a similar defensive philosophy as well.

Still with that said I support an offensive team that has lost the overtime coin toss twice in the last two years and has won both games without our offense touching the ball.
Then build a better team! Are you seriously whining about the NFL not being fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Give each team an offensive possession and everyone is happy. The way it is now is entirely ********. Appeal to Tradition much?
Why? Teams would be more willing the game in regulation to avoid overtime so sudden death doesn't occur. You don't want to have that handicap then put a beatdown on your opponent in regulation. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawk View Post
i don't understand why in the playoffs its sudden death, it should just be an extra quarter
Because football games are long as it is. Players are exhausted after three hours. An extra quarter could also go end up in a tie by the end of regulation. Three hours for a football game is more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
Alright i never said what i said was true, i guessed on the % and its most likely wrong. But you cannot argue that a game of higher importance (playoffs) should not rely on any factor other than the ones presented by the teams. A coin is a factor of chance that should have no part in deciding the game.

Lets say both teams have ****** defenses and the coin toss gave it to one team and they brought it down the field and won with ease. The same thing couldve happened if the other team won the toss.
So the NFL is supposed to feel sorry for teams that have shyt defense?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 03-01-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Then build a better team! Are you seriously whining about the NFL not being fair?

Not at all. I don't think the current system is unfair I just have never liked 'well then play defense' argument so decided to explain why.

Quote:
I am not really vested in them changing the rules but will play devils advocate here.
Quote:
a devil's advocate is someone who takes a position he or she does not agree with for the sake of argument.

Last edited by Stranger : 03-06-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I suck at spelling argument
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not at all. I don't think the current system is unfair I just have never liked 'well then play defense' arguement so decided to explain why.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense. As a team you have four quarters to shut down the other team so overtime is not forced and you aren't put in a situation where you could possibly lose by a field goal. If as a team you are forced to go to overtime then that is entirely on that team's shoulders and there isn't anything "unfair" about it.

Why is this concept so difficult to understand?

Quote:
Old 03-01-2010, 02:41 AM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Quote:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense. As a team you have four quarters to shut down the other team so overtime is not forced and you aren't put in a situation where you could possibly lose by a field goal. If as a team you are forced to go to overtime then that is entirely on that team's shoulders and there isn't anything "unfair" about it.
I get it. That is why I am in favour of getting rid of overtime in the regular season, if neither team was good enough to win in regulation why force a result? From my first post.

Quote:
To be honest I think the whole issue is overblown and would be in favour of getting rid of overtime in the regular season altoghether.
Also the post you quoted I actually state that I don't think the current system is unfair. I think the statistics show something like 57% winning percentage for the team that wins the toss and 30% winning on the first drive. Those percentages don't seem unreasonable to me.

The point of my first post was to present an argument against 'the defense is part of the game too' position since that has always gotten to me. When I see that I think isn't that an argument for two possesions, since both teams have a defense. Now I am sure you can argue against my reasoning but that is always what pops into my mind when I see it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

Again, Why should a defense fail after limiting a team to a field goal? I can understand that if it happens in regulation, because both teams recieve the ball once each at the beginning of a half.

And since the offense that does not recieve doesn't go onto the field, the same opportunity is not presented and the defense making a stop for a field goal being a failure rather than a triumph, it is not fair at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictonary.com
Fair implies the treating of all sides alike, justly and equitably

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Quote:
and i'd always thought he was a great return man... is it just kickoffs?
LSH took over the kickoff return duties this year. On punt returns he is reliable and will get you a few yards every time but his big returns are few and far between. He averaged 6.7 last year and 7.2 the year before.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

ah that i can agree with completely. Teams playing conservatively is worse than teams playing and being crappy. At least there is a potential excitement, a risk (although i dont think such a risk should be in playoffs still) so that fans dont turn off the TV as soon as the coin toss is done right njx? ;)

I was hoping you would give me a more general definition so i had something to work with but nevertheless, neither team was outmatched; which is why the score is the same. The coin toss is a 50/50 chance, thats fair, a variable both face. However only one team recieves the ball in this period. Leaving the game to chance is a gamble that is unfair to players, teams, owners, fans...etc.

I could give you a great explanation of defense countering my opinion (Giants vs Seattle where Jay Feely missed 3 field goals, 2 in overtime i believe, before finally seattle made one), but how many games turn out like that? Making the offense score a touchdown IMO is the only way to solve this.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
I get it. That is why I am in favour of getting rid of overtime in the regular season, if neither team was good enough to win in regulation why force a result? From my first post.
Because ties make things way too confusing. Especially for fans. It's complicated enough as it is for teams that are on fighting for wild card spot with a bunch of scenarios determining if they'll get in. Not to mention that it's a lot more exciting to see a team "win" than to have a bunch of tied games. People want to see a victor. It's just that it shouldn't take four hours to do so.

Quote:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

Well its official, per NFL.com, It is approved

EDIT: And by it, meaning rulechange for OT in Postseason.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
Well its official, per NFL.com, It is approved

EDIT: And by it, meaning rulechange for OT in Postseason.
this is one of the dumbest things I've seen from the NFL

apparently defense is no longer part of the game.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think overtime needed to be changed, but this is the proposal I've hated the least so far.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yes, but if you lose a coin toss and you are an offense oriented team then it is definitely unfair.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Yes, but if you lose a coin toss and you are an offense oriented team then it is definitely unfair.
I really hope you're being sarcastic.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a stupid ******* rule. Even the Vikings voted against it. Just play the god damn game, play some defense and don't cry about rules.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rule Change Passed, 28-4 vote

They passed, 28 teams voted for it with only 4 against.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

And one of them was Minnesota who were the "victims" of the old rule in the last playoffs. Does anything Zygi does anymore surprise me.... no.

I would have thought that team with solid FG kickers with HC confidence in them would vote for it. And injuries to kickers in the game, if he isnt able to kick in OT your punter better have some place kicker experience....

ESPN showed the graphic that the other team that had an OT FG scored on it would get the chance to "tie or win," which made think about the fake FG with new significance here.

And can a missed FG be returned by the defense? It s/b.

Last edited by LizardState : 03-25-2010 at 12:17 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
One day people will understand in the game of football, there is also a defense and special teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I missread his post apparently.

I was trying to say the old system was unfair if you are an offense oriented team, so basically, my bad.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
One day people will understand in the game of football, there is also a defense and special teams.
And they will also understand (as they just have now) that a flip of a coin should not decide the game.