Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,582
Reputation: 115700
JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The thing with the old rule is that they had a touchdown=field goal, which in regulation is not the case. 7=/=3, so why should it in overtime? This way, it is fair for both teams because a field goal=/=touchdown so if a field goal is kicked, game is not over, but if a touchdown is scored, it is.
__________________
JeffSamardzijaIRISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 20,459
Reputation: 2198072
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
The thing with the old rule is that they had a touchdown=field goal, which in regulation is not the case. 7=/=3, so why should it in overtime? This way, it is fair for both teams because a field goal=/=touchdown so if a field goal is kicked, game is not over, but if a touchdown is scored, it is.
Because the purpose of sudden death is that the first team to score wins. Doesn't matter if it's a touchdown or a field goal.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 20,459
Reputation: 2198072
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
but it would be a contribution by the special teams, offense, and defense. All three aspects come together to win a game.
But games aren't always won with equally contribution by all three phases of the game. And what if a team on it's first possession scores a touchdown and their own defense never sees the field? How is that having all three phases of the game contribute to a win in overtime? The offense would be responsible for winning the game...unless you count the return game. Even so, a defense wouldn't see the field in that scenario. All three phases shouldn't have to come together to win a football game. One unit can outshine the other two.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,582
Reputation: 115700
JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Because the purpose of sudden death is that the first team to score wins. Doesn't matter if it's a touchdown or a field goal.
That's what makes it unfair though, because it's MUCH easier to kick a field goal than score a TD. Making a FG=TD in the overtime does not make sense because they are unequal to start, 2 FG=1 TD.
__________________
JeffSamardzijaIRISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 20,459
Reputation: 2198072
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
That's what makes it unfair though, because it's MUCH easier to kick a field goal than score a TD. Making a FG=TD in the overtime does not make sense because they are unequal to start, 2 FG=1 TD.
So? Man up and stop the other team. All things must end, that includes football games. The reason for making sudden death in the first place was to end the contest without it dragging on and on. You don't want overtime then play defense so it won't have to come down to extended regulation.

If you're going to complain about that not being fair (which doesn't make sense in the first place) then the NFL should get rid of overtime all together and have an indefinite amount of extra quarters played until there aren't any ties at the end of regulation.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 20,459
Reputation: 2198072
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Bill Polian is going to change his mind once his Colts lose an overtime game in this scenario. They'll kick a field goal on their first possession only to have an opposing team score a touchdown on the ensuing drive.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oktoberfestland
Posts: 19,455
Reputation: 680057
Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

this is ******* idiotic
__________________


Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 03-24-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LakerLand
Posts: 13,130
Reputation: 628697
yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Ketchman
Jay from Oviedo, FL
After reading the article about overtime, one glaring omission stuck out to me. While during the current era (1994 -2009) the team that won the toss drove and scored 34.4 percent of the time, and in the prior era this occurred 25.9 percent …

Vic: Whoa! Let’s stop right there. At this time, I would like to make an announcement: I don’t care what they do. I don’t care if they let a bartender push a button that makes a photographer blind the quarterback with a flashbulb so the play will fail and the game will go on indefinitely. If it pleases you, then that’s fine with me and I’d like to leave it at that because this whole overtime thing bores me as much as a Tiger Woods press conference, therefore, I would prefer to ignore this topic. I know you won’t do that but at least I thought I would make a request. When it’s all over, I’ll have Donovan McNabb explain it to me.
Quote:
Andrew from Bellingham, WA
I think the new OT rule is a good one. It will cause teams to make a decision about kicking a field goal or going for a touchdown. I think having the game more likely to end on a touchdown is good. I think other good options would be banning field goals in OT, or just putting 10 minutes on the clock and do it like they do in the NBA.

Vic: I considered the college system, in which the teams keep scoring touchdowns until one of them misses a two-point conversion and the final score is 99-98, but then I thought to myself: Why not do away with the touchdowns and just make them try two-point conversions until one of them fails? I think Johnny Unitas would’ve liked that format.
Quote:
Michael from Toronto, Ontario
I think if it was the coaches voting on the overtime rule it would have stayed the same, but the owners voted on it and now the rule is changed. I think coaches and general managers should vote in these sorts of things.

Vic: I think they should’ve asked themselves: What would Unitas have done? After all, he’s the guy who invented overtime.
Quote:
Tom from Mesa, AZ
With the new overtime rule, if the team that wins the coin toss goes down and kicks a field goal, and then the opposing team drives down and misses their attempt at a field goal, is the game over, or does the team that had the ball first need to go down and either kick another field goal or score a TD to win it, with the opposing team getting another chance to possibly cause a turnover and get another shot at winning?

Vic: I think it depends on who the bartender is. Seriously, one of the great things about the old system, the one that will continue to be used in the regular season, is that there are no questions about what happens if somebody scores.
Quote:
Jon from Lincoln, NE
I just saw a poll on ESPN.com that said only 14 percent of America preferred the overtime rule the way it was. Although I agree with Vic that overtime should have been left alone, it appears the NFL will continue to cater to its paying customers, as it should because, after all, it is a business.

Vic: Yes, the fans should decide league policy because they’ve done such a wonderful job with the Pro-Bowl voting.
Quote:
Dave from Atlantic Beach, FL
With the new OT rule, what happens if there's a safety on the first possession?

Vic: I think that’s when the bartender pushes a button and the game continues because the fans aren’t done drinking their beer.
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8818

Hahahahahahahahahaha
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
Moderator
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KO-V>O-V
Posts: 14,837
Reputation: 1045649
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I actually like this rule. I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I always think it's a shame to see a great playoff game end like that, especially if it's because of a questionable call against the defense. I think this makes OT a lot more fair, because now both defenses might have to do their jobs, rather than just the one that lost the coin toss. If the first defense to take the field does epically fail, they lose the game anyway. This should also make OT games more exciting. Rather than, on the first series, seeing the offense get to the 30 and then spend the next couple of plays looking to just centre the ball or gain a risk free five yards here and there, they're actually gonna be actively trying to put the ball in the endzone. Also, if the first team kicks a FG, you get to watch an offense play that absolutely NEEDS to score, but is not under any real time constraints. Should be interesting.

Quote:
People should also keep in mind that special teams is an important part of the game. By changing these rules you're basically taking away an opportunity for special teams to win the contest. Why can't a kicker have a chance to shine and win the game on the first series? Why not? Offense, defense, and special teams are equally important in my mind.
It's only the first series. The kicker can win the game on literally any other possession in overtime, as well as at the end of regulation. I'd personally much rather see the glory to the people who actually work to win the game, though.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: :3
Posts: 17,548
Reputation: 466188
The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
I might have said this before, but I used to agree with YFS and njx. Now I don't. Here's my argument (and it's not to anyone in particular):

I wouldn't particularly mind it if we didn't have overtime at all. Ties aren't that bad. But IF we have overtime - which we do - then the reason we should have overtime is to prevent ties. Then, in that case, the concept of "fairness" in opportunities is important.

I think that assuming the point of overtime is to resolve ties, then it follows that each team should have a chance to score. A quick argument would look like this:
1. A team only normally scores with their offense.
2. Therefore, giving only one of the two teams an opportunity to score to win the game with the normal means of scoring puts an abnormal (=unfair) burden on the other team to score with defense.
3. Overtime coin tosses give one team a chance to score to win the game with their offense and not the other team's offense.
4. Overtime coin tosses cause abnormalities (are unfair).

Yes, I'm well aware that the other team can get the ball back, and often does - my quick argument is not completely sound. But as the stats show, the chances are lower. And as to the position that it seems out of place to make overtime any different than a normal game - in a normal game, each team gets plenty of chances to score. These chances are imbalanced because one team's defense is better than the other, but there's a confusion with opportunities to score and opportunities to definitely win the game. In a normal game, if a team has more opportunities to score than the other because their defense or SP is better, that is still fair because the other team still had opportunities to score (and well, that's just how the game is). In overtime, if you win the toss and score, you have 100% won the game, not in virtue of both your offense and your defense but in virtue of your offense and the random coin toss being your infinitely good defense (weird phrase, but I think you get my point).

If ties are okay, then overtime is simply not okay. I think then it is inconsistent to support overtime and to support sudden death overtime. Either support ties and disavow overtime, or avow overtime and ask for the fairest way to declare a winner, which is at the very least not sudden death.

I wish I could flesh this point out more, but I don't have the time to do so.
just wondering...
__________________

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Uncle Sam is CLUTCH!
Posts: 5,876
Reputation: 25259
Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
what? you seriously just suggested it's a bad argument because... the offense scores the points? and that didn't strike you as the utterly worthless drivel that it is? that's ******* pathetic and you should be ashamed. the rest of your analogy only drives home the point that it wasn't a single logical error, but that you didn't bother to try to apply any sort of logic whatsoever to any part of your argument.



please point out a single appeal to tradition in this thread. when you realize there aren't any, please learn how to read or stop posting. either way works.



i didn't realize that the team winning the coin toss won 100% of overtime games. care to cite that?

i'm also really entertained by the idea that, if my team could stop the other team from scoring at will all game, suddenly we can't just because we lost a coin toss. play special teams. play defense. the exact same bloody things you had to do all ******* game anyways.



'if this is going to result in more kittens being massacred, a rule change needs to happen'.



that's right. i forgot the other 4 quarters didn't cover any of that.



prove either of those statements have any remote degree of truth or retract them. i can tell you off hand that the second one is not even remotely close to correct.
The flaw in your argument is that in the other 4 quarters of the game, both teams get opportunities to do things on both sides of the ball. If overtime were set up as some sort of "5th quarter", truncated or not, as you'll see in basketball (5 minute OT period) or baseball (extra innings), then yes, overtime is just like the rest of the game. However, football essentially becomes the most radical form of sudden death available in sports, with the first team scoring declared the winner, which, when given the fact that one specific unit does most of the scoring for a team, shows that the team that gets the opportunity to field that unit first has a significant advantage to win the game. No other sport has an "overtime" in which both teams do not get the opportunity to score, so it seems that preservation of equatability of opportunities for both teams in a game deciding situation is not only prevalent, but also important in all other sports, and even in the same sport at the collegiate level, so why should professional football be the only dissenter to this common theme in sports? The only real answer to that question would be an appeal to tradition, because while any person in any sport will tell you that all aspects of a team are important, they'll also tell you that they want competitive balance, and across the landscape of competition, it has been determined that the best way to maintain competitive balance in sudden death situations is to give both teams the opportunity to score in those situations, given the fact that every other major level and type of competition that involves scoring does.

In short, the "play defense" argument doesn't really hold because it does bring competitive balance into question.
__________________


The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Uncle Sam is CLUTCH!
Posts: 5,876
Reputation: 25259
Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
or, maybe in a better example, let's say the 2000 ravens go out and ed reed predicatbly picks off the qb and scores. shouldn't the other team's defense get a legitimate shot to do the same to trent dilfer?
The 2000 Ravens defense with Ed Reed might have been an even better unit, but Reed wasn't in the NFL until 2002.
__________________


The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LakerLand
Posts: 13,130
Reputation: 628697
yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I also love assuming that it's always beneficial to get the ball first.

Imagine playing a playoff game in Green Bay in ****** weather. You win the coin toss and get the ball first. You must now proceed to drive the ball down the field, against the wind, in terrible weather. If you go three-and-out you'll be forced to punt deep in your own territory against the wind, guaranteeing the other team gets the ball in good field position. How advantageous and unfair is that?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oktoberfestland
Posts: 19,455
Reputation: 680057
Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

how to establish balance when the two teams are not balanced to begin with?
__________________

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: :3
Posts: 17,548
Reputation: 466188
The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
ok, let's take the recent packers game as a counter. shouldn't the packers have had to play offense to give arizona a chance to play defense?

or, maybe in a better example, let's say the 2000 ravens go out and ed reed predicatbly picks off the qb and scores. shouldn't the other team's defense get a legitimate shot to do the same to trent dilfer?
If we're assuming college-like rules, then that team wins the game. This is a good objection, and I could also see an argument for same team getting the ball back to tie up again as if it were like an offensive touchdown. But I think your basic line of reasoning actually works, and thus the game is called for the team that scored the defensive touchdown because if the other team got the ball back, they would just kneel the ball 3/4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
here's where i hate this argument. why are we treating overtime like a restart? both teams had 60 minutes to win. i see no issue with fairness in terms of possessions, given that both teams have had a roughly equivalent chance to win all game.
Like I said, IF the point is to declare a winner, then that is why we have overtime. If we want to declare a winner, then we basically treat it like a restart because like any other game we want to be fair. We have to do these tricky things like give the other team a possession because the alternative (which I failed to mention) is to have another timed period, and then another timed period of the same length if no winner is declared after that (like basketball). This doesn't work for issues of injuries and fatigue due to the fact that scoring takes a lot longer time, so we make a compromise between time length and fairness, which is to create an artificial game-like situation. This is artificial because it tries to emulate a game because in a game each team gets the ball ROUGHLY the same amount, plus or minus defense and special teams skill. My point is that sudden death is an unfair artificial game situation because the other team is not allowed to get the ball if the other team scores first. In a normal game, the other team gets the ball after the other team scores. So we follow it as if it were like another game by giving the other team the ball, but it is artificial because we would end the game once the other team has failed to score. Because if we did not do this, and if it followed a normal game, the team that won the coin toss would get the ball again, and then the other team would get the ball again regardless if they scored, and possessions would go on "ad infinitum" until time is up. However, due to injury and fatigue we agree that another timed period is not good for the sport, so it is better to create an artificial "mini-game" to get the winner declared.

In the end, an argument for equal possessions is not a "perfect solution." When you force a winner, none really exist. But I think it is better than sudden death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i hate overtime in all incarnations (minus maybe basketball, where you can easily tack on 5 more minutes without substantially risking [afaik, please correct me if i'm wrong] your players' health. i do understand the financial idiocy behind it's continued existence, and why it will likely end up as the college system (more chances for commercials = more money). but it's terrible for sports in general.
Right - I can definitely see arguments against overtime and for ties. I think they're more "natural" rather than forcing a winner. But overtime do add excitement for spectators and money for the leagues. That in and of itself is an interesting issue - it could be argued that forcing a winner is beyond the scope of a "natural" game and is about the fans and the money over the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i still disagree with the argument completely, but i appreciate the thought behind it.
Thanks.
__________________

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Last edited by The Unseen : 03-24-2010 at 05:29 PM.
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 677
Reputation: 1
the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
this is one of the dumbest things I've seen from the NFL

apparently defense is no longer part of the game.
How not the defense still has to force them.to get only 3 points of they let up a touchdown its good night sweetheart. This file should have been placed onto effect decades ago
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Uncle Sam is CLUTCH!
Posts: 5,876
Reputation: 25259
Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
not true. if, in a hockey game, i win the faceoff and score without giving the puck up, i win and the other team didn't get a chance to score. is the argument then that this isn't fair, or that the faceoff means both teams had an equal shot at winning? how is that any different than a coin flip? or, alternately, should we change hockey, to ensure that the team that wins the opening faceoff can't win the game if they score first? maybe we should give the other team a free chance to score. i mean, that would be more fair, right?
I thought NHL overtime was decided on shootouts. I now see that the NHL's overtime rules are more convoluted and dysfunctional than anything the NFL has had. That said, I doubt the occurrence of such cases are very prevalent in the NHL, otherwise I'm sure fans would be unhappy about their overtime rules as well, if it happened in, say 30% of games as I'm fairly sure I saw you assert earlier.

I will say that the NHL is not exactly the model I'd want to follow when considering how to foster and promote growth in a successful sports league, though. They haven't had much success on those fronts in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
because professional football is different. this is not a difficult concept. basketball players are able to play an additional period without seriously risking injury. hockey players are... well.... hockey players.
The Rams and Panthers played into a 2nd overtime period in the early 2000s because no one could move the ball. If they can play 80 minutes of football, why can't other teams play, say, 67.5? It's not as if the NFL is doing it to avoid injuries, because if they were, they'd either have ties or in cases where there can't be ties, limit the amount of play time as much as possible. While the sudden death scenario can do that, it achieves very minimal reductions in injury risk for the amount of competitive balance it eliminates as opposed to, say, a truncated quarter.

Also, you seem to imply here that you expect hockey players to be more resilient to injury than football players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
and right after accusing me of an appeal to tradition? tsk tsk.

'any person in any sport' does not have a consensus opinion and THIS person from a sport strongly resents your attempt to speak on my behalf. let me know when you have an argument that doesn't rely on irrelevant conclusions or an appeal to majority (assuming we really want to discuss logical fallacies).
Obviously it was a generalization, but I think you'd have a hard time finding people in team sports who disagree with either of those notions. If parts of teams weren't important, evolution of the game would eliminate them (see: middle guard, wingback, etc. in the NFL), and if competitive balance weren't important, teams and leagues wouldn't devote so much of their time to ensuring it exists, and clearly and visibly punishing anyone who violates the rules of competitive balance. Since you resent my "attempt to speak on [your] behalf", feel free to explain why you feel that parts of the team you're on are irrelevant or why you think competitive balance is unimportant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
further, how does each team getting a full possession after having literally an entire game of them, contribute to competitive balance?
It contributes to it much more so than letting only one team have a full possession. It gives every part of each team a chance to contribute to the outcome rather than only certain portions of the team getting that opportunity in a significant amount of cases.

That said, that's not even what the new rule is. What the new rule does is eliminate what to me is the biggest annoyance about overtime, the 30 yard drive/40 yard FG on 3rd down to completely anticlimactically bring an end to what was up until that point an extremely close contest. Under the new rule, teams have to actually play for the TD if they want to outright win the game, and I completely agree with the notion that if a team's defense can't stop the opponent from scoring a TD, they deserved to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
if anything, the most 'fair' solution would be to continue the 4th quarter, exactly as it ended. however, that doesn't contribute to 'zomg excitement', which i suspect is really what proponents of this crap want: what they think is a more exciting conclusion, meanwhile stripping the end of the 4th quarter of any meaning.
Would it though? At halftime of a game, everything essentially "resets" in terms of field position and possession, why wouldn't it at the end of the 2nd half as well? I'm not strongly opposed to this idea personally, it's certainly something that hasn't been brought up to this point at least to my knowledge, and it makes more sense to me than letting a coinflip possibly decide the game in any scenario. That's why I am not a fan of the current regular season overtime rules, it lets that possibility exist. I'd much rather the play up to that point determine the outcome than a coinflip, then again, I'd much rather anything determine the outcome than a coinflip, something which happens too often in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
again, because you said so? i have a chance to stop the other team. if i properly play defense and special teams, i can do so and take the ball. if i have a garbage defense, then i don't deserve to win the game.
You say this as if overtime play is in a perfect vacuum, as though nothing that happened prior to overtime effects what happens in overtime. I hate using case studies/hypotheticals as backing for my points, but the possibility exists that a team can be up 3, give up a long, time consuming drive where their defense is on their defense is on the field for the majority of the 4th quarter and they give up a game tying field goal at the end of regulation. Then that team loses the coinflip. Then their defense surrenders three quick completions because they're gassed, the other team kicks a 40 yard field goal, and wins the game. The team that was on defense that whole time doesn't really stand a chance in the OT period because their defense is gassed, and even under your proposed system, they would get the ball to start overtime. These are the cases that concern me about overtime, because the only other situation in which a team can be forced into playing defense two series in a row without some sort of turnover occurring is after the half, but there are significant differences there, namely that A) who gets the ball first in the second half is known before the end of the first half, B) teams get significant amounts of rest between the end of the first half and the start of the second half, so fatigue plays less of a factor there, and C) those two possessions cannot in and of themselves decide the outcome of the game. By eliminating the "drive 30/kick from 40" strategy from overtime, the NFL has eliminated the only real concern about the competitive balance in overtime, at least in my opinion. I haven't really seen any other concerns along those lines about the overtime rules, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I also love assuming that it's always beneficial to get the ball first.

Imagine playing a playoff game in Green Bay in ****** weather. You win the coin toss and get the ball first. You must now proceed to drive the ball down the field, against the wind, in terrible weather. If you go three-and-out you'll be forced to punt deep in your own territory against the wind, guaranteeing the other team gets the ball in good field position. How advantageous and unfair is that?
Generally speaking, it is advantageous to get the ball first. Of course one can think of a scenario that it would not be, but that doesn't make it the case a majority of the time. The outlier is usually ignored when trying to come to a rational conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
how to establish balance when the two teams are not balanced to begin with?
Competitive balance in terms of a game is more about having the rules equal for both sides. If there's a large talent discrepancy between two teams, then obviously under a fair rules system, the team with the better talent is going to win the vast majority of the time, but everyone wants the rules system to be fair, I'm sure no one wants their team to win because the rules make it more difficult for one team to win.
__________________


The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
Moderator
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KO-V>O-V
Posts: 14,837
Reputation: 1045649
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I thought NHL overtime was decided on shootouts. I now see that the NHL's overtime rules are more convoluted and dysfunctional than anything the NFL has had. That said, I doubt the occurrence of such cases are very prevalent in the NHL, otherwise I'm sure fans would be unhappy about their overtime rules as well, if it happened in, say 30% of games as I'm fairly sure I saw you assert earlier.
Sorry to ignore the rest of your post(it's late, I'll read it later and post something about it maybe), but NHL rules really aren't convoluted at all in OT. It's fairly simple. 5 minutes of 4 on 4 play, and if no goals are scored, it goes to a shootout. It takes ties out of the equation and ensures a quick end (4 on 4 play is much more wide open than 5 on 5).

And in the playoffs, they just revert to 20 minute OT periods of 5 on 5 until someone scores. Fairly simple. I would guess that what you were reading phrased it more confusingly.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oktoberfestland
Posts: 19,455
Reputation: 680057
Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Competitive balance in terms of a game is more about having the rules equal for both sides. If there's a large talent discrepancy between two teams, then obviously under a fair rules system, the team with the better talent is going to win the vast majority of the time, but everyone wants the rules system to be fair, I'm sure no one wants their team to win because the rules make it more difficult for one team to win.
but it is fair. Both have the same chances to start the drive on offense, both have the same chances to play defense and not let the other team score
__________________

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look Behind You
Posts: 4,318
Reputation: 177171
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I hate this new rule. All it does is make the game easier for high scoring teams. I mean not every team can just go and score touchdowns all the time. Since they made this rule they should just take FG's out of the NFL completely. Dumbest **** ever. I mean if they eventually take this into the regular season what would be the point of FG's???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
Just let it go RWO.
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LakerLand
Posts: 13,130
Reputation: 628697
yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

A couple more things to consider that I haven't thought about.

Quote:
Jonathan from Q-West, Iraq
What the heck is going on with the NFL these days? It seems like every year they are inventing new rules for the game just for the sake of doing it. Then the media spins it and everyone wants to chat about it. If you ask me, they should have left football the way it was.

Vic: I’m struggling with the changes. Most of them are necessary, but not this overtime thing. True sudden death is the link to the greatest moment in the game’s history. You just don’t change something like that. All they did was move the advantage from the team getting the ball first to the team getting the ball second. The unfairness factor is still there because the team getting the ball second will effectively have 25 percent more plays to score than the team getting the ball first will have.
Quote:
Jeff from Seattle, WA
They changed overtime because 60 percent of the teams winning the coin toss win in overtime. Well, about 60 percent of the time the home team wins.

Vic: If they implement this new overtime rule for regular-season games, I think what they’ll find out is that 60 percent of the teams getting the ball second will win the games, and that means teams winning the coin toss will likely elect to kickoff. So what have you accomplished? The team winning the coin toss will still win 60 percent of the games. Hey, that’s just my opinion. Maybe I’ll be wrong.
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8822
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 4,669
Reputation: 731181
Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
I hate this new rule. All it does is make the game easier for high scoring teams. I mean not every team can just go and score touchdowns all the time. Since they made this rule they should just take FG's out of the NFL completely. Dumbest **** ever. I mean if they eventually take this into the regular season what would be the point of FG's???
sudden death with touchdowns only would actually be pretty cool. it eliminates the good field position advantage if a team goes 3 and out on their possession. defenses naturally tighten when a team gets into the red zone, so a couple of first downs would be close to a wash. the easy field goal argument would be eliminated. plus the utter desperation of tired teams trying to punch the ball into the end zone would be great tv. imagine the desperation on goal line plays. shouldn't even have an official clock to mark the period, just pure sudden death.

''mendenhall on his 40th carry of the game tries to punch it through the ravens D on the 2.''

talk about making teams earn a victory.

and if they take FGs out of the game, then how are 5'8'' 140lbs guys going to find a job?
__________________
SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 03-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Look Behind You
Posts: 4,318
Reputation: 177171
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

It is just completely unnecessary to change the rule. They say it isn't fair when really it just isn't fair for teams who have to watch their defense lose the game in overtime. What about teams who are built on defense? I guess they don't matter. As long as Peyton Manning has a chance to get on the field every overtime I guess it is OK. NFL is lame and so is anyone who supports this ********.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
Just let it go RWO.
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 4,669
Reputation: 731181
Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

since most of the heavy lifting on this argument has been done already and opinions probably won't change....i think the NFL missed a golden opportunity here.

this is the time where we could of had a 'combine off.' critics always cite how unnecessary it is for players to run without pads and debate on whether bench press reps matter. they could have made it matter.

-refs could wheel out the bench press to the center of the field
-the fastest players on each time could dual each other in 40 yard dashes
-pull the cones and jump measuring devices out in each endzone

make 5 drills, and whoever wins 3 gets the victory.

if i have to make a point here. overtime is just a tie breaker because the actual game already ended. everything beautiful about the game ends when the 4th quarter hits 0:00. overtime is just the conflict resolution stage. consider it like using the court system after your marriage fails. overtime is an arbitrary process to reach a resolution. its imperfect and you are better off just winning the game in regulation.
__________________
SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,062
Reputation: 4964110
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
sudden death with touchdowns only would actually be pretty cool. it eliminates the good field position advantage if a team goes 3 and out on their possession. defenses naturally tighten when a team gets into the red zone, so a couple of first downs would be close to a wash. the easy field goal argument would be eliminated. plus the utter desperation of tired teams trying to punch the ball into the end zone would be great tv. imagine the desperation on goal line plays. shouldn't even have an official clock to mark the period, just pure sudden death.

''mendenhall on his 40th carry of the game tries to punch it through the ravens D on the 2.''

talk about making teams earn a victory.

and if they take FGs out of the game, then how are 5'8'' 140lbs guys going to find a job?
What advantage? Because the defense did their job as well as special teams so they get the ball at good field position?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.