Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-22-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Trout only played about a fourth of a season last year but you may have a point. We'll see if Harper's second season matches what Trout is doing this year. Something tells me it wont.
It almost definitely won't, but as good as Trout ishe's playing like freakin Mickey Mantle at 20 years old, I don't think he's THIS good yet. His BABIP isn't all flukey but it may be a little bit.

With Harper improving next year and Trout maybe coming back down to earth a little I don't think the book is shut on it yet.

Last edited by yo123 : 07-23-2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: I can't speak.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
It almost definitely won't, but as good as Trout is I'm not sure if he's playing like freakin Mickey Mantle at 20 years old, I don't think he's THIS good yet. His BABIP isn't all flukey but it may be a little bit.

With Harper improving next year and Trout maybe coming back down to earth a little I don't think the book is shut on it yet.
Not sure it makes much sense to bring up one of the greats of all time (Mickey Mantle) to make a point. There are some similarities though between the two. Hitting with power and for average. Mantle like Trout had rare speed. Trout will never have Mickey's long ball ability most likely.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Not sure it makes much sense to bring up one of the greats of all time (Mickey Mantle) to make a point. There are some similarities though between the two. Hitting with power and for average. Mantle like Trout had rare speed. Trout will never have Mickey's long ball ability most likely.
That was hyperbole. Just the first guy I thought of and a few have compared their playing styles.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trout is more Rickey Henderson with his all around game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is going to be the dumbest talking point you have all heard in a while.

But I don't agree with people comparing Trout to Mantle or Griffey, Jr. etc. Yet at the same time, is it weird that I feel like we are almost "overdue" for a transcendent baseball figure?

I'm not saying it could be Trout, but eventually someone is going to have to live up to the hype right? I know Pujols might be one of the best of all-time; but I'm talking about a cultural/sports/mainstream ICON.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
This is going to be the dumbest talking point you have all heard in a while.

But I don't agree with people comparing Trout to Mantle or Griffey, Jr. etc. Yet at the same time, is it weird that I feel like we are almost "overdue" for a transcendent baseball figure?

I'm not saying it could be Trout, but eventually someone is going to have to live up to the hype right? I know Pujols might be one of the best of all-time; but I'm talking about a cultural/sports/mainstream ICON.
What about Jeter?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What about Jeter?
He was never as good as Trout is right now.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
He was never as good as Trout is right now.
I don't think he's just talking about on field performance.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think he's just talking about on field performance.
I'd figure he meant someone that became a cultural and mainstream icon due to his ridiculous success on the field.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What about Jeter?
Yeah it's not exclusive to the field. I'm talking about someone that elevates the game with stellar on-field play, mainstream recognition, etc.

I think Jeter is close, but to me he seems moreso a "regional" superstar. I mean hosting SNL, 3k hits (especially now), etc. all made him almost above the game. I think Griffey at his height though was more iconic than Jeter ever was.

But as much as I don't really like him, he's the closest.

With Jeter, I just don't see people telling their kids about how blessed they were to see him play.

Again though, it might be a little too "deep" of a discussion for just a baseball thread but the way the world is now; I think icon status is nearly impossible. Phelps, Tiger Woods, Armstrong all were but now have taints surrounding them though a bong hit only "hurt" Phelps for like a month if that.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Trout/Harper debate is going to fuel baseball for the next 15 years. I sort of want to compare it to Bird/Magic but in baseball it's impossible for 1 player to get his team to the playoffs so it's a tad different.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might be a no brainer, but I just got offered this trade:

I get:

Josh Hamilton
Anthony Rizzo
Jake Peavy

They get:

Miguel Cabrera

Should I do it?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Yeah it's not exclusive to the field. I'm talking about someone that elevates the game with stellar on-field play, mainstream recognition, etc.

I think Jeter is close, but to me he seems moreso a "regional" superstar. I mean hosting SNL, 3k hits (especially now), etc. all made him almost above the game. I think Griffey at his height though was more iconic than Jeter ever was.

But as much as I don't really like him, he's the closest.

With Jeter, I just don't see people telling their kids about how blessed they were to see him play.

Again though, it might be a little too "deep" of a discussion for just a baseball thread but the way the world is now; I think icon status is nearly impossible. Phelps, Tiger Woods, Armstrong all were but now have taints surrounding them though a bong hit only "hurt" Phelps for like a month if that.

Yeah and its obviously a lot easier for Jeter to get to that level in New York than it is for Griffey to do that in Seattle and Cincinnati.

It does seem like that's where Trout is going.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
This might be a no brainer, but I just got offered this trade:

I get:

Josh Hamilton
Anthony Rizzo
Jake Peavy

They get:

Miguel Cabrera

Should I do it?

Your friend is ********.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
The Trout/Harper debate is going to fuel baseball for the next 15 years. I sort of want to compare it to Bird/Magic but in baseball it's impossible for 1 player to get his team to the playoffs so it's a tad different.
And then once those two get in swing, there will be the guy who is actually the best (MJ) who people realize will win more and be better than both...

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Your friend is ********.
So I'm guessing you're saying I should..
Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I'd like to point out that if Bonds, Piazza, and Clemens don't make the hall of fame next year, it should just be torn down and removed from existence.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines
So I'm guessing you're saying I should..
Yes

Quote:
I'd like to point out that if Bonds, Piazza, and Clemens don't make the hall of fame next year, it should just be torn down and removed from existence.
Probably true. But only Piazza will.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
For what it's worth, he's a hardcore Rangers fan. But, that said, you don't think that is bound to come down at some point?
It will, though by how much who knows. He's one of, if not the fastest player in MLB and he has a great LD%. That's a good combination. Add in that he gets more hits due to the fact that he forces the infield to play in(by showing bunt)

he's going to have a higher BABIP than most players. 400+ it won't be, but he's a guy who can put up a .350+ BABIP

Quote:
To be fair Harper is more than a year younger and Trout wasn't anything special at Harper's age in the majors.
Different circumstances for both, so I don't know how much it really applies. Trout wasn't up for good until right after the All-star break and admitted that by the time September rolled around he was worn out/fatigued since he had never played that many games before in a season. He had an OPS over .830 at the end of August and then in September he sucked big time. Harper's been up since late April...though he seems to be slowing down some now as the season is wearing on

And I'll say that there is no way that Harper in his age 20 season comes close to sniffing what Trout is doing in his. That's not even a knock on him though. I don't even think there's a way Trout can do any better than this in the future, either. He's on pace for just a ridiculous season. If anything, Trout will just maintain or have similar numbers year after year. Look at other greats like Pujols. He came into the league and dominated from the start. Was his age 27 season any better than what he did as a 21 year old rookie? That's what makes them great IMO. They come in and just consistently put up the same great numbers year after year.

short version: Trout's number's he is putting up now are what he'll be putting up year after year(BA will fluctuate, of course).

Last edited by BloodBrother : 07-23-2012 at 04:08 AM.
BloodBrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brodeur, you think they would bring up Castellanos for the stretch run?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
Brodeur, you think they would bring up Castellanos for the stretch run?
I really, really hope not. It would be a horrible idea.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

He wouldn't really have a position to play. In fact where is he going to play by the time he's ready? Prince to DH, Miggy back to 1B?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
He wouldn't really have a position to play. In fact where is he going to play by the time he's ready? Prince to DH, Miggy back to 1B?
That's what I'd do, although he has the arm to play in right if he has to.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
That's what I'd do, although he has the arm to play in right if he has to.
Come on Brodie, you can't block the amazing Brennan Boesch.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Probably true. But only Piazza will.

Agree with this, and with Brody's sentiment. I think Piazza will get in by a relatively slim margin too. What I really can't wait for is Murray Chass talking about how Piazza used steroids because he had back acne.