Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey how about Salty doesn't make that dumbass throw and put Jim Joyce in position to make this so called bad call. How about that? BOOM! I don't give a **** tho, my team is up 2 to 1 now. So Boo the **** yeah!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
Hey how about Salty doesn't make that dumbass throw and put Jim Joyce in position to make this so called bad call. How about that? BOOM! I don't give a **** tho, my team is up 2 to 1 now. So Boo the **** yeah!
I agree. First Breslow Thursday night and Salty tonight. I wouldn't risk it myself.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And for what its worth, this is from deadspin, which is well known, not a fan of the Cardinals or us Cardinal fans (tho they hate Boston too and prolly hope the World ends so that neither of us win the World Series)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspin
Allen Craig scored the winning run without ever touching home as umpires awarded the Cardinals a run on an obstruction call in the bottom of the ninth in St. Louis.

Third base umpire Jim Joyce argued Will Middlebrooks obstructed Craig who attempted to score after Jarrod Saltalamacchia attempted to double up the St. Louis runner at that base. Middlebrooks tripped Craig after Saltalamacchia's throw went into left field. It's one of the wildest plays we've seen in baseball this season and in any World Series game. Red Sox fans will complain about it for decades, assuredly, but it appears the umpires made the right call. Middlebrooks not only got into Craig's way, but he lifted his legs up to ensure he'd slow the runner down.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
IMiddlebrooks made no willful attempt to block him.
Yes he did. He lifted both of his legs into the air which made it harder for Craig to get over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
It was Craig being an idiot that got Craig tripped up. Middlebrooks was completely in the right to be where he was. And you can't call that in any situation anyway.
Middlebrooks was in the right to be where he was. He was not in the right by lifting his legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Middlebrooks certainly didn't make any conscious effort to stop Craig from advancing. I think I side with the camp that says that was a bad call.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Middlebrooks certainly didn't make any conscious effort to stop Craig from advancing. I think I side with the camp that says that was a bad call.

Still tho, Salty.....

Bill Simmons' inevitable bitchfest is going to be a fun side-effect though.
Do people that get hit by line drives on the base paths make an effort to block the ball from advancing?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Middlebrooks was in the right to be where he was. He was not in the right by lifting his legs.
I have such a good line for this but I can't use it because it would piss off the entire New England section of the board and then some. God damn reputation and manners getting in the way of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
"OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball, and has missed, he can no longer be in the "act of fielding" the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."
What? No. Even by that definition, Middlebrooks was still in the act of fielding the ball. It's not a 8- or 16-bit video game where he instantly gets up after an attempt to field. Besides that, he was out of Craig's baseline, which is the outer half while the ball is in play.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I have such a good line for this but I can't use it because it would piss off the entire New England section of the board and then some. God damn reputation and manners getting in the way of humor.
Let's hear it we're already pissed. Personally I blame the catcher for throwing it away.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Let's hear it we're already pissed. Personally I blame the catcher for throwing it away.
No, it's not a good idea. Trust me.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes he did. He lifted both of his legs into the air which made it harder for Craig to get over him.

See above.

You're absolutely right, I didn't catch that until the replay.

That's interference. No debate here at all.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My reaction to the umpire's call when watching.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What? No. Even by that definition, Middlebrooks was still in the act of fielding the ball. It's not a 8- or 16-bit video game where he instantly gets up after an attempt to field. Besides that, he was out of Craig's baseline, which is the outer half while the ball is in play.
Because it's not like the city of Boston has benefited from an obscure rule before...

Quote:
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

My reaction would not be allowed on here due to nudity...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my reaction to how Boston lost that game

Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We already have the "You don't call that in a world series game" people out here.

Yes you do. You call it because it's the right call and it's a baseball game like any other, with the same rules.

You don't get to cheat just because it's an important game.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:37 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

My reaction to how Boston lost the game

Quote:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the MLB Rulebook:

AN infielder dives at a groun ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the process of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

That is 100% what happened in the game. I thought the obstruction was him lifting his legs. But even if he stayed flat, it is obstruction. There is zero reason to say it was a bad call and anyone who does is just being a homer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From the MLB Rulebook:

AN infielder dives at a groun ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the process of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

That is 100% what happened in the game. I thought the obstruction was him lifting his legs. But even if he stayed flat, it is obstruction. There is zero reason to say it was a bad call and anyone who does is just being a homer.
There are other basepath rules that Craig didn't follow. It wasn't obstruction. Craig 100% just ran into Middlebrooks. The way he ran to do it was just simply against any sort of baserunning fundamentals and general guidelines & rules.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
My reaction to how Boston lost the game

u, sir, are on a roll!

Quote:
We already have the "You don't call that in a world series game" people out here.

Yes you do. You call it because it's the right call and it's a baseball game like any other, with the same rules.

You don't get to cheat just because it's an important game.
Or the people saying u don't call it in the 9th inning of a World Series game. So, it would be obstruction of game 43 in the 3rd inning, but in the ninth inning of the playoffs...nah.

I mean I am not proud of the way the Cardinals won the game. We had waaaay too many other opportunities to score and wasted them, Pete Kozma still sucks donkey testes and never takes the bat off his shoulders unless the pitch is a ball, and we shoulda won by 4 or 5 runs honestly. The Red Sox lost this one before the bad call. Shoulda walked Jay there, shoulda hit Napoli sometime, and Salty shouldn't have thrown that ball. But hey we won and I will take it.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
There are other basepath rules that Craig didn't follow. I

Which ones? Quote them.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The combination of John Farrell managing a ****** game tonight and the Red Sox losing on a bull **** call that should never have happened is making my brain explode the more I think about it.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know you made a bad decision when you already basically admit after the game that you should have done it differently. Farrell already saying he wished he got Napoli in there in the 9th
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

The Cardinals are satan and all their fans are just devil worshipers. Thats the only explanation......please sense the sarcasm everyone.
Jcn92
Veteran

It's a catch 22 for Middlebrooks, if he lies still he's obstructing the runner, if he tries to get up he's obstructing the runner, which he tried to do. Craig shouldn't have run over him. Rule 2.00 mandates that he has to get out of the way, which he was doing, and if he doesn't he's obstructing the runner.

John Farrell
Quote:
I don't know how he gets out of the way when he's lying on the ground. That's a tough pill to swallow.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcn92 View Post
It's a catch 22 for Middlebrooks, if he lies still he's obstructing the runner, if he tries to get up he's obstructing the runner, which he tried to do. Craig shouldn't have run over him. Rule 2.00 mandates that he has to get out of the way, which he was doing, and if he doesn't he's obstructing the runner.

John Farrell

lifting both legs in the exact area where the runner is crossing is not "trying to get up"

Boston fans are too much sometimes. Come on. Have none of us tried to lift ourselves from a lying position before? Good lord.