Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
Couple things I found on Rotoworld.

According to the Chicago Tribune's sources, the Cubs and Angels may be in trade talks involving Derrek Lee.

The Tribune called the sources "excellent," whatever that means. The Angels obviously lost their starting first baseman, Kendry Morales, for the season when he broke his leg in a home run celebration, so they could be motivated to make a move. The only remaining question is if they would assume the money still owed Lee. The Cubs owe him about $9 million over the remainder of the season, after which he will be a free agent. Lee is batting just .232/.339/.366 on the season.

Danny Valencia has been called up by the Twins, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Joe Christensen.

Valencia is batting a respectable .292 with 15 doubles and 24 RBI for Triple-A Rochester but has somehow managed to hit no home runs, which has to be a huge mystery for the Twins. He entered play on Wednesday with a humble .381 slugging percentage, way down from the .483 number he put over parts of two seasons at Double-A. Valencia is one of the Twins' top prospects and the fan base no doubt hopes he can dislodge Nick Punto from third base. If that's the best case scenario, the worst case would be that he is sent down in four days when Michael Cuddyer returns from the bereavement list.
I wouldn't wet my britches over Valencia coming up. He's pretty bad defensively and his bat does not merit being a major league 3rd basemen yet.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
I wouldn't wet my britches over Valencia coming up. He's pretty bad defensively and his bat does not merit being a major league 3rd basemen yet.
You live in Minnesota, what the hell are you doing saying britches?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Valencia isn't anything special. I would have been much more excited about this a year or two ago when I thought he could actually be a starting caliber third basemen but I don't really see it now.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Jesse Crain has gone like 5 outings in a row without completely ******* everything up. I'm not sure what to make of this.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
You live in Minnesota, what the hell are you doing saying britches?
I've never said it out loud if that helps
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
How can you honestly take this stance? Why is instant replay a bad idea?
Why is it a good idea? Should they institute a football style challenge system? To many arguments can be made for where it should be used balls/strikes, whether a guy made a catch or if a runner beat the throw. Have to take the human error and just roll with it.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Griffey Jr. retires.

I was at the game where he got his first Major League hit, a double against Oakland. I've watched his entire career. I knew this is why he went back to Seattle, but this isn't how I envisioned it ending. I'm honestly a bit sad right now. Thanks for all the memories Ken.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Why is it a good idea? Should they institute a football style challenge system? To many arguments can be made for where it should be used balls/strikes, whether a guy made a catch or if a runner beat the throw. Have to take the human error and just roll with it.
Balls/strikes is a mistake for replay (most of the time), but every other play shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Frak the human error ********.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Balls/strikes is a mistake for replay (most of the time), but every other play shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Frak the human error ********.
Even in football the replay system is not perfect and have blown calls.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

baseball is far easier to tell if a mistake has been made

Replay should be available for outs and HRs
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joyce's audio from after the game.

http://wxyt.cbslocal.com/2010/06/03/...-perfect-game/

EDIT: I do have respect for Joyce for how he handled this afterward. It was an honest mistake, and he did everything he could do to rectify his mistake.

It's on MLB to fix this.

Last edited by Xiomera : 06-02-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Jim, you really did "kick the ****" out of that call.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they should just close MLB down.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I think they should just close MLB down.
Agreed. Let's just get rid of the sport. America's new past time is the NHL.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Agreed. Let's just get rid of the sport. America's new past time is the NHL.
Hold on. Let's just start by getting rid of all umps named Jim and Joe.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Hold on. Let's just start by getting rid of all umps named Jim and Joe.
Brad Watson would have gotten the call right tonight.

Now THAT is saying something.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If MLB does in fact overrule the call(which I don't think they will) it puts them on a very slippery slope. Tons of bad calls have been made and while the magnitude of this one may be bigger once you start overruling calls after the fact it would be kind of BS to just pick and choose when to overturn and when not to.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
If MLB does in fact overrule the call(which I don't think they will) it puts them on a very slippery slope. Tons of bad calls have been made and while the magnitude of this one may be bigger once you start overruling calls after the fact it would be kind of BS to just pick and choose when to overturn and when not to.

This. It sucks for Galaragga and all, but bad calls happen and tons have happened before that weren't changed. The best thing that can come from this is a new replay system which should have been around all along. I don't see what is stopping them from having a football like challenge system. Baseball and football games are the same length anyway it's not like the slowing down the game issue is that big of a deal.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Score keepers change calls all the time after games, why cant umps?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I don't think it really compromises anything. The outcome of the game was not in question.

There is nothing wrong with setting this precedent. It's this stubbornness and unwillingness to do the right thing that makes me hate this sport. MLB needs to learn to adapt.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Score keepers change calls all the time after games, why cant umps?
Because scorekeeping doesnt actually effect the game.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't think it really compromises anything. The outcome of the game was not in question.

There is nothing wrong with setting this precedent. It's this stubbornness and unwillingness to do the right thing that makes me hate this sport. MLB needs to learn to adapt.
It really compromises everything. There needs to be consistency and for that to happen MLB would have to overrule every bad call made at 1B from here on out which would be impossible.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
This. It sucks for Galaragga and all, but bad calls happen and tons have happened before that weren't changed. The best thing that can come from this is a new replay system which should have been around all along. I don't see what is stopping them from having a football like challenge system. Baseball and football games are the same length anyway it's not like the slowing down the game issue is that big of a deal.
Baseball doesn't even need a challenge system. It just needs a Common Sense Doctrine for overturning calls that are immediately deemed incorrect or for close calls that stand to determine the outcome of a game at a pivotal point.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Also someone brought this up before but how many times has an ump blown a call in the 3rd inning that cost the pitcher a perfect game? Why is that any different than when it's the last play of the game?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Baseball doesn't even need a challenge system. It just needs a Common Sense Doctrine for overturning calls that are immediately deemed incorrect or for close calls that stand to determine the outcome of a game at a pivotal point.

All calls play a part in determining the outcome a game...you need to be consistent. Can't just pick and choose