Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Dude, what is your problem?
do you think i'm pissed because i'm cussing? i just cuss excessively as a bad habit.

it's just ridiculous every other post about him is a complaint, not a discussion. if we want to discuss things that could have prevented this to play devil's advocate, i can handle that, but i can't sift through this thread without reading a post about this guy.

and i understand this thread doesn't cater to me, but good god if this happened to some random red sox pitcher and i kept bitching about it i guarantee you i'd be told to shut the hell up.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
like 10 pages of a thread about one ******* call.
Your point? It is the most discussed news item in the country ... and this is a baseball discussion thread.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Your point? It is the most discussed news item in the country ... and this is a baseball discussion thread.
That he has the right to get annoyed by it. I mean Brett Favre may be the most alked about football story doesn't mean I don't find it ******* annoying.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

armando galaraggazzz

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That he has the right to get annoyed by it. I mean Brett Favre may be the most alked about football story doesn't mean I don't find it ******* annoying.
Sigh ......
Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he has the right to whine then they have a right to whine about him whining and he has the right to OH **** ITS A CIRCLE.

Quit whining and talk about baseball. :/

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How about this, we'll stop talking about Galarraga when you stop harassing Hines.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
How about this, we'll stop talking about Galarraga when you stop harassing Hines.
I won't agree to that. I'm gonna work Armando into every post of mine on the forums.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2 perfect games in 1 season hasn't happened in over 100 years. 3? Never...It's the most talked about, because it should be. Something that has never EVER been done before in the history of the entire league took place last night, and it will not be officially recognized because of a blown call.

I think what deserves more recognition though is the way the Tigers handled it along with Joyce, especially when they applauded the umpires before today's game. With all the **** going on in this country, they chose to forgive and (try to) forget. Admitting his error and being candid about it puts Joyce far and away above anything I've ever seen a referee/umpire do.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
There is actually a pretty big history of MLB changing outcomes of games: taking away perfect games, the George Brett pinetar game, etc.

If they don't fix this, then Bud Selig is incompetent.
The Geroge Brett pinetar game was actually replayed all together. Forget whether the whole game was replayed from the start as a whole new game or if it was just replayed from the point of the incident.

But that was pretty stupid as well. Because the AL president admitted the rule was called correctly by the ump but decided even though it was called correctly, it wasn't in the best interest of the game.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I wouldn't call it harassing. I'd call it pathetic stalking.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
The Geroge Brett pinetar game was actually replayed all together. Forget whether the whole game was replayed from the start as a whole new game or if it was just replayed from the point of the incident.

But that was pretty stupid as well. Because the AL president admitted the rule was called correctly by the ump but decided even though it was called correctly, it wasn't in the best interest of the game.
They just continued the game from the bottom of the 9th inning. And yeah, even though having that much pine tar was against the rules they claimed that the home run should stand because pine tar does not benefit the hitter.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
They just continued the game from the bottom of the 9th inning. And yeah, even though having that much pine tar was against the rules they claimed that the home run should stand because pine tar does not benefit the hitter.
That situation was just stupid all around.

But I'm still firmly against changing the call for Gallaraga. Calls are blown with crucial wins and losses on the line in more important situations like the playoffs or world series. Wouldn't it be in the "best interest of the game" for those calls to be correct too?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
That situation was just stupid all around.

But I'm still firmly against changing the call for Gallaraga. Calls are blown with crucial wins and losses on the line in more important situations like the playoffs or world series. Wouldn't it be in the "best interest of the game" for those calls to be correct too?
Perhaps, but you can make the opposite argument just as easily. It's because of the fact that the play had no effect on the win and loss that it's justifiable to change it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no problem with Xio or any Tiger fan bitching about that call. I would ***** as much as they are as well. A perfect game is a once in a lifetime oppertunity to get. Even the greatest of pitchers can't get one and to have the ump take it away from you? Oh man. Galaraga is a better man than I am for him to just play it off like it was nothing.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Perhaps, but you can make the opposite argument just as easily. It's because of the fact that the play had no effect on the win and loss that it's justifiable to change it.
That makes it less important to me. If you're worried about the integrity of the game, calls that effect wins and losses would hold the most priority. Baseball is great how it is. I wouldn't touch any of it. No changing calls, no asteriks in record books, none of it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not going to change so accept it and move on. I recognize it as a perfect game in my mind and so should everyone else. But this **** happens in baseball, except its usually much less publicized. This one catches a lot of flack because of the obvious situation, which is completely understandable. But bitching on here isn't going to change the outcome.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
That makes it less important to me. If you're worried about the integrity of the game, calls that effect wins and losses would hold the most priority. Baseball is great how it is. I wouldn't touch any of it. No changing calls, no asteriks in record books, none of it.
Well I am in favor of sweeping changes to "get it right" as often as possible. This doesn't include disputes of balls and strikes, but determine a list of reviewable plays.

No reason to continue living in the stone age of sports. Every other sport has embraced technological advances. No reason baseball can't as well.

The term "human element" needs to be banned.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
But bitching on here isn't going to change the outcome.
That's what you think!

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I heard Troy Glaus lost his wallet in the L.A. Area, if anyone out there is reading this, just keep a look out.

Here's a pic of said wallet...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1102/...79ae8c.jpg?v=0

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I have no problem with Xio or any Tiger fan bitching about that call. I would ***** as much as they are as well. A perfect game is a once in a lifetime oppertunity to get. Even the greatest of pitchers can't get one and to have the ump take it away from you? Oh man. Galaraga is a better man than I am for him to just play it off like it was nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Its not going to change so accept it and move on. I recognize it as a perfect game in my mind and so should everyone else. But this **** happens in baseball, except its usually much less publicized. This one catches a lot of flack because of the obvious situation, which is completely understandable. But bitching on here isn't going to change the outcome.
I'm well past the point of bitching about the decision. But I'll gladly resume if I am going to be told not discuss the play and the ramifications of it. It's a ******* discussion thread.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Well I am in favor of sweeping changes to "get it right" as often as possible. This doesn't include disputes of balls and strikes, but determine a list of reviewable plays.

No reason to continue living in the stone age of sports. Every other sport has embraced technological advances. No reason baseball can't as well.

The term "human element" needs to be banned.
I enjoy the human element. I enjoy the managers and players working over the umps at the plate. I enjoy when my manager really gives it to a ump after a questionable call. There are human elements in all sports. You can never take it out.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
he probably handled it well because he understands that in the long run a perfect game won't really mean a lot to his career. if he's a great pitcher, a perfect game or lack there of won't change that. if he's terrible, he's just some guy in the record books.

gallaraga's "perfect game" will be just as revered as dallas braden's is X amount of years down the road but in the grand scheme of things, whether this happened or not won't change anything.

that doesn't mean i'm against changing the call, if you can do it, then do it, but i think we overestimate how important this is to guys. sure, it's a great individual achievement, but throwing a perfect game doesn't guarantee you induction into the hall of fame, it doesn't even mean you'll make a single all-star game in your entire career. i think he really would have been content with the fact that he pitched a complete game, one-hit shutout, and that he got his team a W. the only thing tainting his performance is a blown call, but had it come in the fourth inning, would we really be having this much of a discussion?

this makes me feel like gallaraga is a guy who doesn't really give a damn about individual achievement because he was lucky to even have the opportunity he did. i think he understands that when all 162 games are up that one blemish in this box score isn't going to change what detroit's record looks like.

this is really the point i was trying to make earlier. a perfect game really doesn't mean anything in the long run. it's just one time in your career where you couldn't be touched. one game out of the hundreds he might start or play in through his career. and the truth is that no matter what the books say, he was unhittable. i don't think he gives a damn about having his name on some super wikipedia 250 years in the future.

this is just my opinion, though. i think a perfect game seems like a lot to us, but in reality, it doesn't mean ****.

Last edited by sbh15 : 06-03-2010 at 10:34 PM.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I enjoy the human element. I enjoy the managers and players working over the umps at the plate. I enjoy when my manager really gives it to a ump after a questionable call. There are human elements in all sports. You can never take it out.
And it still wouldn't be eliminated if there were more instant replay.

I don't really understand the reason for singling out home runs as the one thing that can be reviewed currently.

They're really no more significant than a fair or foul ball down the line or whether a guy beats out an infield single. Or a player is out at home.

If Selig was willing to allow home run review, then what exactly is the difference between that and the sort of review people are calling for now in the aftermath of this controversy?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Selig's a lazy coward who will never do anything but cheap and minor compromises, sort of like a poor man's Politician Paul in a way.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote