Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Players Accept NFL Labor proposal.

For Immediate Release

March 2, 2010

PLAYERS ACCEPT NFLLABOR.COM PROPOSAL

The NFL has stated on its NFLLabor.com website that “[n]o current player needs to take a pay-cut as a result of our proposal.” (http://nfllabor.com/category/faqs) The players of the National Football League are prepared to sign an agreement today that guarantees that the salary cap will not decrease and that there will be no decrease in retired players' or other benefits under the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

At the last bargaining session - because we felt that it was in the best interest of the fans, the players and the League to work on a long term agreement without the unknowns of the uncapped year - we went even further to propose a one year extension of the CBA that froze the salary cap at the 2009 level. The League rejected the players’ proposal.

Our representatives today renewed that proposal and also offered to negotiate a longer extension on the premise of the League’s statement that it will guarantee that the salary cap will not decrease and that retired players’ and other benefits will not decrease.

We have asked the League to meet with our representatives immediately to attempt to reach an extension of the agreement.
# # #

http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/P...rcom-Proposal/

Last edited by HawkeyeFan : 03-02-2010 at 03:55 PM.
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, if I am reading this right..instead of the uncapped year, they just extended the current year's CBA provisions through 2011 and will revisit those issues at the end of next year?
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So the players union initially realised that no cap is actually terrible for most players and wanted to extend the cap this year while they continued to negotiate a new CBA, obviously the owners said no to that.

Now they take a quote from an interview as 'the proposal' from the nfl and renew their offer. Seems like a last ditch PR move more than anything since it is fairly clear that the owners aren't going to agree to extending the cap this year.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no bare feet View Post
So, if I am reading this right..instead of the uncapped year, they just extended the current year's CBA provisions through 2011 and will revisit those issues at the end of next year?
Pretty much, there are a couple of hundred guys that were heading to free agency that are now stuck as RFAs. If the NFLPA can keep the cap while negotiations continue they would revert back to UFAs.

Last edited by Stranger : 03-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the NFL accepts anything at this point that will change anything for 2010.

Over 200 players who were supposed to be UFAs are now RFAs and teams can basically squat on them for a year at bargain prices. They're not going to give that up anytime soon....

Look at the Chargers for a good example. Just off the top of my head Marcus McNeil, Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd and Shawne Merrimen would all go from RFAs to UFAs that the Chargers have no control over keeping. And I'm sure there are plenty other teams out there who would suddenly lose a bunch of guys.

No way the league accepts something that takes that all away now. I think they accept things as they are right now, and work to get everything back on track for 2011.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

at a minimum this should make teams think hard about contract terms this year in an uncapped season with the likelihood of reaching an agreement for 2011.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
at a minimum this should make teams think hard about contract terms this year in an uncapped season with the likelihood of reaching an agreement for 2011.
Agreed. I think most teams are keeping that at least in the back of their mind, spending carefully as if there was still a cap in place.

In addition to what I mentioned in my last post, I don't think teams want a cap back in time for 2010 since they can also use this year to purge themselves of big contracts given to declining players or highly drafted busts without penalty.

One uncapped year like this greatly helps the teams imo, but I also think that they'll want it back in 2011 after they've had their fun.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Agreed. I think most teams are keeping that at least in the back of their mind, spending carefully as if there was still a cap in place.

In addition to what I mentioned in my last post, I don't think teams want a cap back in time for 2010 since they can also use this year to purge themselves of big contracts given to declining players or highly drafted busts without penalty.

One uncapped year like this greatly helps the teams imo, but I also think that they'll want it back in 2011 after they've had their fun.
Why would they want the cap back? Under the current uncapped system they get to keep their players for six years instead of four at a cheap rate. No salary floor for owners that are cheap and teams have the ability to cut bad contracts without having to worry about cap repercussions.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a joke. The players accepted a proposal that would lead to no pay cuts, oh who would have figured that? Too bad there is an entire other side to the equation, the owners paying those salaries.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Why would they want the cap back? Under the current uncapped system they get to keep their players for six years instead of four at a cheap rate. No salary floor for owners that are cheap and teams have the ability to cut bad contracts without having to worry about cap repercussions.
This 6 year RFA thing system is only for the last year of the CBA being in effect. This year will be excellent for owners as the majority of them will get bargain prices for talent. 10 months from now, owners will be much more willing to make a deal.

P.S. Anyone have a guess for how next off-season will go without a new CBA? I imagine there will be a draft, but I doubt players would attend OTAs and certainly not pre-season without a CBA done.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
This guy answers it a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
This 6 year RFA thing system is only for the last year of the CBA being in effect. This year will be excellent for owners as the majority of them will get bargain prices for talent. 10 months from now, owners will be much more willing to make a deal.
And there will just be a strong sentiment to keep the "golden goose" that the NFL has been the same.

Sure there are a few owners who don't like spending money, but they all did it just fine with a salary floor in place and we even saw traditionally cheap-owner teams in the Bengals and Cardinals put together decent seasons in recent years.

I think the owners will use this year to cut bad contracts with no penalty and keep some very good players at incredible discounts, and they'll bring the cap back in the new CBA that will hopefully come after this season in order to keep the competitive balance the league has.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post

P.S. Anyone have a guess for how next off-season will go without a new CBA? I imagine there will be a draft, but I doubt players would attend OTAs and certainly not pre-season without a CBA done.
I remember reading somewhere that there would still be a draft if no deal is reached, will edit in a link for it later. On the players reporting I think if it gets to that stage there will be a lockout.

BeerBaron

Quote:
And there will just be a strong sentiment to keep the "golden goose" that the NFL has been the same.
I agree but I think the players are the ones who will be making most of the compromises. At the moment the owners have all of the leverage especially since they have the guaranteed tv money coming in regardless of the games actually being played. Plus there are significant owner vs owner issues at play regarding the revenue sharing system which may drag the whole process out.

On the initial article I think this sums it up.

Quote:
After the NFL wrote on its labor Web site last week that no player would take a cut as a result of its proposal, the NFLPA responded Tuesday by saying -- tongue in cheek -- that it was ready to sign a deal guaranteeing that the salary cap won't be lowered and there will be no reduction in retired players' or other benefits under the CBA.
Quote:
the NFL released a statement in response, saying the NFLPA intentionally misstated the league's proposal and is simply trying to "preserve an unacceptable economic system."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4960835

I wouldn't take it as a sign that the NFLPA is willing to negotiate, it's mainly childesh attacks trying to gain an edge in the PR battle that is going to go on over the next year.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
BeerBaron

I agree but I think the players are the ones who will be making most of the compromises. At the moment the owners have all of the leverage especially since they have the guaranteed tv money coming in regardless of the games actually being played. Plus there are significant owner vs owner issues at play regarding the revenue sharing system which may drag the whole process out.
According to this, that's false:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ents-fired-up/

"It sounds great, but it's not complete. The money isn't free. The networks will be repaid, and the term has been common to pro sports television deals since the 1980s."
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 AM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
According to this, that's false:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ents-fired-up/

"It sounds great, but it's not complete. The money isn't free. The networks will be repaid, and the term has been common to pro sports television deals since the 1980s."
I realise that they will have to pay it back but it means owners will have a steady source of income during a potential lockout to help them ride it out, whereas the players will not (and I have my doubts over how many of them are saving up). Does anyone know how the tv payments work? I am assuming the owners will be earning millions in interest from them as well which means they may actually get some 'free' money out of it.

Last edited by Stranger : 03-03-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that there would still be a draft if no deal is reached, will edit in a link for it later. On the players reporting I think if it gets to that stage there will be a lockout.
Can back this up. I believe that the draft deal is in place until 2013 from memory but can confirm that the draft is in place longer than the CBA as it is a separate entity.

I particularly like how the players have twisted the words of the what was offered. There is a big difference between guaranteeing the cap doesn't drop and that no player will be paid less. They are very separate things with only a loose correlation. Also, a key word is the "current" players term. All that the NFL has basically offered is that there will be no "maximum" contract and that the minimum contract will not decline and really, that is a nothing offer.

As for the CBA, it particularly interests me. Personally I see no way the players union comes out the winner this time around. I also see no point in them trying to create this illusion of an arguement. They are screwed they should accept it and be trying put the pressure on the owners and this is sort of a step in the right direction. They need to publicly acknowledge that there will be concessions and pay cuts, embrace and promote the rookie scale salaries and get on the front foot because this CBA renegotiation is between the owners of big teams and small teams and is above and beyond the players and the owners are quite happy to take their time, especially while the players union is stupidly putting itself in the position of being the scapegoat for the owners to the media. As long as the owners can keep saying the players union is bickering over things the longer they keep the heat off themselves and can argue the real issues.

I stand by the following until proven otherwise -

1. Players will take paycuts at basically every level. I think minimum contracts are about the only thing that wont fall. Total player payments will fall to around 50% of revenue, possibly even further.

2. There will be rookie scale contracts and they will be severe.

3. There will be changes to the revenue sharing and this will take the longest to negotiate and does not involve the players.

Given that, I think the only thing the players union should really be bothering to argue is how much the TPP falls and to get a better deal for retired players. If I was in charge of the players union I would be going to the owners and saying we accept rookie scaled but we want player option on the final year, we are willing to have TPP fall by x% as long as say 50% of that drop is instead going to be paid to support retired players and the health issues related. I may try and get a change to franchise contracts, perhaps an inherent rule that they may only be used on a player every 2nd year(the same player they can still be used annually) instead of having players negotiate for that clause. I would also probably push to try and increase the value of the tender for RFAs so that it becomes more viable to actually sign the tender for players.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is online now   Reply With Quote