Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't disagree with that. It seems like Cundiff was paid more because of how dominant he was on kickoffs last season, not really his performance as a kicker. Sure he was decent but not good enough to get that big of a deal. This year he wasn't consistent in anything he did. I know he was hurt for a stretch of time but unless it was a bigger problem all year than we were led to believe he vastly underperformed this season even if you don't take the playoff kick into account.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the rule changes anyone can get a touchback. Lets be real here he was juiced that year he dominated.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Im getting nervous we will lose Grubbs.
I've always assumed we are going to lose him. With Flacco's deal looking to be around $13 million a year, there's not a lot of money left to toss another guard $35 million.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I've always assumed we are going to lose him. With Flacco's deal looking to be around $13 million a year, there's not a lot of money left to toss another guard $35 million.
Here's what our cap situation is projected to be:

http://ravens24x7.com/columns/The-Mo...ARY-CAP-UPDATE

Quote:
So, to summarize, assuming the releases of Foxworth and Evans, along with the retirement of Ricky Williams, the Ravens should be looking at approximately $14.97M in available Salary Cap Space before possibly having to use the Franchise Tag on Ray Rice.
That's counting our tenders for the RFA and EFA, but not the franchise tag for Rice. Take away $7.7 mil. and we're left with $7.27 mil. to work with. We have yet to see what cutting Carr will save us because we don't know if it's with a June 1st designation or not, and I suspect it will be since it would free up a lot more cap room. Not a lot there to get stuff done with, but that's also assuming the cap is set at $123 mil. Hopefully it's more. :/
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see us bringing back Grubbs if we've only got 7 million in cap space available. Not just that, but it's going to prevent us from resigning valuable rotation guys like Jarrett Johnson and Jameel McClain.

Don't forget though, we will be carrying over $6 million from last season and we're allowed to borrow $1.5 million from the future cap, which I expect we will do.

I didn't know we were in this bad of shape, I figured we'd have around 15 mill to throw around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Both of those numbers were already factored into the cap space projection. I recommend reading the article in the link, it's informative and easy to read.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Both those numbers were already factored into that number. I recommend reading the article in the link, it's informative and easy to read.
Ahhh. I did check out the article, I didn't see that it included the carried over number. Missed that part. Damn.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Yeah I checked it again just to see if they weren't. :( This is going to be an interesting free agency for us. Hopefully we extend/restructure Reed. That would open up a few more million in cap space. Other than him there really aren't any obvious candidates to restructure. Our front office doesn't like to do that anyways though, it just creates a bad situation in the future.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question for Ravens fans. Is Lardarius Webb worth giving up a first for in a RFA deal? From what I saw of him last year I was impressed, and 8 interceptions in the regular season and playoffs while not giving up a TD is nothing to scoff at. He's only 26 and has a lot of good years ahead of him.

What do you think?
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Question for Ravens fans. Is Lardarius Webb worth giving up a first for in a RFA deal? From what I saw of him last year I was impressed, and 8 interceptions in the regular season and playoffs while not giving up a TD is nothing to scoff at. He's only 26 and has a lot of good years ahead of him.

What do you think?
No, in no way should you try to acquire Webb :P

But really, I think it depends. In your situation, where you have two first rounders in the late first, he is probably worth it. He has proven himself as a #1 type corner and your chances of finding a guy like that late in the first are unlikely.

In this years draft you may have options of Gilmore (probably a #2/nickel type) Denard (Dime? maybe nickel); Webb is clearly a #1 corner so if you were to use one of those firsts on a corner, why not go after Webb? Also, you will still have a first to use so...

I will throw this two cents in though:

I don't think you guys need a CB in the first. Drafting Barron would allow you to move Chung over to FS and McCourty can go back to being your #1 corner and Arrington and Dowling should be sufficient at #2 and nickel to see a much improved secondary next year.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
No, in no way should you try to acquire Webb :P

But really, I think it depends. In your situation, where you have two first rounders in the late first, he is probably worth it. He has proven himself as a #1 type corner and your chances of finding a guy like that late in the first are unlikely.

In this years draft you may have options of Gilmore (probably a #2/nickel type) Denard (Dime? maybe nickel); Webb is clearly a #1 corner so if you were to use one of those firsts on a corner, why not go after Webb? Also, you will still have a first to use so...

I will throw this two cents in though:

I don't think you guys need a CB in the first. Drafting Barron would allow you to move Chung over to FS and McCourty can go back to being your #1 corner and Arrington and Dowling should be sufficient at #2 and nickel to see a much improved secondary next year.
Thanks for the opinion.

From an outsider it may seem that corner isn't a huge need, and some Pats fans are split on the issue, but the performance from that position has been atrocious the past few years. McCourty was the first CB to give up over 1000 yards in a season since they started keeping track of that stat like 5 years ago. Dowling is no lock to be healthy and has played in like 7 games over the past 2 seasons, so I wouldn't rely on that. Arrington played like crap too after week 8, and those interceptions were an absolute mirage. Getting a true number 1 guy like Webb would change the whole dynamic of the secondary. Safety is an absolute need, but there is always other ways to address that issue.

BB absolutely loves Webb and was gushing about him before the AFC championship game. Really I'd love either him or Wallace. You can't beat signing a pro bowl caliber player in his mid 20's while simultaneously screwing over your biggest rivals.

I really hope they pull the trigger on one of them.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne or Lee Evans if we decide to bring in a vet WR?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Uhhh... none of the above? Wayne would probably be the most productive of the 3, but also the most expensive.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I see us bringing in someone, the thing is they are probably the only 3 we could afford who have a snowballs chance in hell of making an impact.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the organization was definitely going to take one, I might say Lee Evans.

Might be the cheapest and it would be year two in our system for him.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might sound crazy, but I really want Randy Moss. He's going to get some interest around the league after his impressive Saints workout (great routes, 4.39 40), but I think he's the best option per the contract size we have. I know Housh and Evans have been flops but this isn't some average old vet we're talking about. 2 deep threats with Boldin working the middle and Rice out of the backfield seems like Flacco's best set up and Moss could provide just enough for Joe to show he's worth this big contract.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I was thinking does anyone even want Birk back at center even though he said he will comeback to play. I really hope we get someone else. He was getting thrown around like a ragdoll by Wilfork, he is probably behind Cundiff and Evans as the reason we didnt make the superbowl
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I was thinking does anyone even want Birk back at center even though he said he will comeback to play. I really hope we get someone else. He was getting thrown around like a ragdoll by Wilfork, he is probably behind Cundiff and Evans as the reason we didnt make the superbowl
No not really as long as we can re-sign Gurode. Though I do think we'll need to sign a cheap FA guard/center depth player so we're not 100% dependent on drafting someone for depth. The only scenario where we might need to bring Birk back is if Grubbs leaves and Gurode replaces him at LG.

And I've been thinking, even though Gurode is 33, if we start him at center and bring back Grubbs, taking an interior O-Lineman becomes much less of an immediate priority in the 1st round.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I say we bring back Jason Brown and have another look at that. He's a very talented guy, I'd like to see us bring him in on the cheap and give him another opportunity.
Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Ngatachance92
Veteran

Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
No not really as long as we can re-sign Gurode. Though I do think we'll need to sign a cheap FA guard/center depth player so we're not 100% dependent on drafting someone for depth. The only scenario where we might need to bring Birk back is if Grubbs leaves and Gurode replaces him at LG.

And I've been thinking, even though Gurode is 33, if we start him at center and bring back Grubbs, taking an interior O-Lineman becomes much less of an immediate priority in the 1st round.
I hope that is the case and we can keep Grubbs. The Ray Ray era is coming to an end and I would feel much better going forward into the unknown with a new Middle Linebacker to take the torch from Ray himself fresh from the first round.

I have no problem with investing all of that money in our guards as we are a rushing team(at least we should be, seeing as how our best player on offense is Ray Rice) and a dominant run game will take some of the pressure off of Flacco as well.

As far as our tackles go, I haven't given up on Bryant McKinney yet. I believe Mckinney just got complacent in Minnesota and he will come back hungry( figuratively speaking... Ok probably literally as well) being so close to the Superbowl and coming up short. Also I love his mean streak. I hope Oher can be the player we thought he could be, but if nothing else he is still a pretty good tackle he just has to cut down on the penalties. Jah Reid looks very promising and I am just aching to see what he does in training camp and the preseason.

Last edited by Ngatachance92 : 03-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Ngatachance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Ngatachance92
Veteran

Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I say we bring back Jason Brown and have another look at that. He's a very talented guy, I'd like to see us bring him in on the cheap and give him another opportunity.
Wouldn't mind that one bit, especially sense he's going to be a fraction of the cost that he was when he left.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM    (permalink
drd23
Rookie

drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.

Should Ben Grubbs leave, we'll likely sign Steve Hutchinson to complete the 2008 Minnesota Vikings OL reunion (the left side at least)
drd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering a passrushing OLB and an eventual replacement for Ray Lewis are needed, here's a list of the top 17 most likely OLBs and ILBs to be drafted onto the Ravens.

1ST ROUND
Courtney Upshaw, OLB.
Luke Kuechly, ILB.
Melvin Ingram, OLB/DE.
Zach Brown, ILB.
Donta Hightower, ILB.
Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB.

2ND ROUND
Jerry Franklin, ILB.
Nick Perry, DE/OLB.
Andre Branch, DE/OLB.
Mychal Kendricks, ILB.
Bobby Wagner, ILB.

ROUND 3
Bruce Irvin, OLB.
Vinny Curry, OLB/DE.
Demario Davis, ILB.
Nigel Bradham, ILB.
James Michael Johnson, ILB.
Audie Cole, ILB.
- Any two combinations in the first three rounds makes sense. My two favorites are:
2) Donta Hightower, 1st round. Bruce Irvin, 3rd round.
1)Courtney Upshaw, 1st round. Jerry Frankin, 2nd round.
- These players add not only youth and athleticsm to our defense but they all have an absurd knack for big plays in big games. Hightower/Franklin would instantly come in and compete with McClain/Ellerbe for playing time alongside Ray. Both of which are instant upgrades against the run.
OLB Courtney Upshaw very well may be gone by the time Baltimore's on the clock so trading up for a player of his stature will surely be discussed.
If Jarrett Johnson doesn't re-sign he'd be an instant starter, either way he'd exactly what the team needs.
Bruce Irvin would compete with Sergio Kindle for situational rush opportunities but I think with the teams conditioning program, Irvin would easily get up to 255-260 in a year, two tops. His speed rush and potential as an athlete would be hard to pass up
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Im torn between a Kuechly/Brown/Konz currently. IDK if a situational pass rusher is a big need for us, but if one is a steal we know ozzie will pick him up.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I can't really imagine any scenario where Kuechly falls to us. It would be amazing, but I really doubt he's even within trade distance for us.
Quote: