Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now you're starting to argue something else. I'm not looking at this as trying to defend the deal Flacco got just the impact it's having on the team right now. It's not going to be a major burden until after 2015 but again that's not the point at the moment. I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying I'm just pointing out that the drama we're seeing with Boldin right now has less to do with Flacco's deal than the potential re-signing of Ellerbe and/or Reed.

Quote:
And I can't help but note that LeBron James signed a 6 year $109 million deal. Yes, different sports, different caps, but LeBron took less than the max contract to go to Miami so D Wade and Bosh could take bigger deals than him and they could fill the rest of the roster with the Battiers and Ray Allens of the NBA.
That's a bad comparison. LeBron had already made a ton of money (and still is) when he took a little bit less than the max to play with Wade and Bosh. The contracts in the NBA are already fully guaranteed too so taking a little less overall is easier to swallow. It's the same thing people tried arguing when Brady signed his recent extension. Guys like that have already made a tremendous amount of money in their lives.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lebron also has insane money coming in from endorsements. Forbes has James making $13 mil last year on his contract and $40 mil from endorsements last year. Basketball is just different.

Joe was going to make his money; he was great in the playoffs and got his huge payday. He isn't killing the roster. Boldin was amazing but he is a million times more expendable than Flacco. Boldin said he wouldn't play anywhere else so we said prove it because we need the cap space and Boldin backtracked.

Heck Flacco's deal isn't even as big as it looks. It is very reasonable at first and the escalates a lot later on. We are going to renegotiate the deal then and see where he is. The biggest contract ever is just talk to make Flacco look good nationally as a QB but I doubt he gets all of that huge contract. I just can't wait for Matt Ryan to get a bigger deal so we can move on to complaining about big money for a QB with 1 playoff win.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What both of yall are saying is completely reasonable. My issue is less about Joe and more about the need to get those extra few million (17 to 20 a year) when it's more for his ego than his well-being. Yes, I understand getting as much as possible when you're a backup/role player and you probably can't live off your NFL earnings the rest of your life, but my problem is that when you're dealing in that stratosphere of earnings ($10+ million a year) - the financial issue is mostly irrelevant. After he retires, he should conservatively have about $50 million in assets. He could set aside a small portion of that in fixed income financial instruments and live off the interest. Why does he need those few extra million a year when it is the difference between having or not having a player he publicly stated that he wants back.

Again, I know Joe isn't the only player taking up cap space. But the marginal benefit/utility of the extra million per year to him is far less than the marginal cost to the team considering the cap.

Last edited by America : 03-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saw this posted in the FA thread: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...cture-contract
Maybe there is hope afterall.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick
It sucks that they weren't able to work out a way to keep Boldin around but at least they got something instead of just cutting him. With an extra $6 million in cap space it seems like there's a really good chance both Ellerbe and Reed are re-signed. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're content with Ellerbe and McClain at ILB with Bynes and maybe a rookie that can cover from that position for depth.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah if we can keep Ellerbe I'll be ecstatic.

Initially I was upset but I figured he would have been cut hours later anyways so getting a 6th rounder for him was the best case scenario.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I hope they don't overpay for Ellerbe though. He's a good player but he can be replaced. Don't get me wrong I like him but there's no denying he has durability issues as well as being a one-year wonder at this point. $4-5 million a year is all I hope Ellerbe gets if he stays with Baltimore.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very true, he is replaceable given how good are scouts are and the way Ozzie and Co draft(i.e Bart Scott, Ed Hartwell etc) but with losing Ray and having the uncertainty with McClain might drive Ellerbe's value up.

Last edited by BmoreBlackByrdz : 03-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was a little puzzled, that Ozzie didn't manage to squeeze more value out of the Boldin trade. Obviously teams new he was a likely cut, but with both Vikings and 49'ers in the bidding, how was it not possible to get an extra 5th round pick?

As someone else mentioned, theres always those who thinks the sky is falling once Ravens part ways with seasoned productive veterans early in FA, but we proved that we always rebound either via new free agents or talent found in the draft.

We usually don't pay much for our linebackers not named Ray Lewis, so I am still not convinced we will go that route. Ellerbes durability issues has already been mentioned, and I think that is a valid point. Reed is the guy I think we will lock up, as his importance seems to reach far beyond the field on gameday, which makes up for his weaknesses.

I'm still not concerned, but now I have to look deeper into the wide receiver position in the draft.
Dan#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Little upset by the Boldin trade. Seems like the situation could have been avoided if level heads had prevailed over all, but the FO seems pretty serious about getting younger and shaking up the foundation of the team. I think this makes keeping Ed Reed much more important, as that's two significant voices we've lost in the locker room this offseason. If we lose Ray, Reed and Q...That's alot of our leadership/identity missing come next season.

Anyone else see Flacco taking shots at Ray in the media yesterday? Didn't really sit right with me either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Last edited by A Perfect Score : 03-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not pleased. I do not think comparing releasing Boldin to releasing Mason or Heap is legitimate. Boldin played lights out in the playoffs and his strength and box out ability are his greatest assets which do not decline like speed. He was durable as well. The staff must have faith in Dickson to step up his game as a TE and Pitta to emerge as the go-to intermediate player with Rice perhaps even upping his targets in the passing game. I figured there's not a huge trade market for an aging wideout, but this year's 6th rounder seems a little weak. In all probability, the guy we take with that pick will be off the team/out of the league in a few years but I guess it still is better than straight up cutting him. I would hope this at least gives us a chance to retain Reed. Boldin was a tough as nails, old school player and embodied the "Raven" toughness and spirit. They don't come around every day. He will be missed.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...aded-to-49ers/

Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
This would make me...uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Alright let's do a little hypothetical ruminating. Here's what the defensive depth chart would look like (including the RFAs and EFAs under contract) if Reed, Kruger, and Williams sign elsewhere.

DT: Ngata - Tyson
NT: Cody
DE: Jones - McPhee - Hall
RUSH: Suggs - Hamilton
WILL: Ellerbe - Ayanbadejo
MIKE: McClain - Bynes
SAM: Upshaw - McClellan
CB: Webb - Smith - Graham - Brown - Jackson
FS: Thompson - Brown - Levine
SS: Pollard - Cook

A little light on talent if you ask me. Specifically ILB and FS. We all knew that the defense had to be somewhat rebuilt but actually seeing it typed out is eye-opening. I'm not worried so much as intrigued to see what happens though. Getting younger and faster players sounds like a good idea to me.

Last edited by coordinator0 : 03-11-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
asham27
Rookie

asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pitta and Jones with second rounder tenders. Dickson with original round tender.
asham27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Alright let's do a little hypothetical ruminating. Here's what the defensive depth chart would look like (including the RFAs and EFAs under contract) if Reed, Kruger, and Williams sign elsewhere.

DT: Ngata - Tyson
NT: Cody
DE: Jones - McPhee - Hall
RUSH: Suggs - Hamilton
WILL: Ellerbe - Ayanbadejo
MIKE: McClain - Bynes
SAM: Upshaw - McClellan
CB: Webb - Smith - Graham - Brown - Jackson
FS: Thompson - Brown - Levine
SS: Pollard - Cook

A little light on talent if you ask me. Specifically ILB and FS. We all knew that the defense had to be somewhat rebuilt but actually seeing it typed out is eye-opening. I'm not worried so much as intrigued to see what happens though. Getting younger and faster players sounds like a good idea to me.
Taking away players from one of the worst defenses in franchise history doesn't inspire confidence. The LBs and CBs would be the strengths, although again suffering in the trenches. Who holds that defense together with the legends gone? I'd say Pollard makes the calls.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Well, when Lewis was out McClain is the guy that got the calls from the sideline. If he's not a starter or with the team next season it's hard to say. My money would be on Pollard too though.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

FWIW Albert Breer of NFLN just said that apparently talks with Ellerbe didn't work out, he's still not a lock to be playing elsewhere, but less likely now.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Aaron Wilson is reporting that the Ravens have interest in Amendola if the price is right. Meh, I'd rather pass.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Word is the Reed to SF was a smokescreen by Reed's agent to get some hype and drive up the price.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

I'd love Amendola, but no way we can afford him. When healthy, that man is insanely productive. But again, I doubt we get him.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

And Ellerbe is taking his talents to South beach. Don't blame him. Take the money and pay no state income tax.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

FACKKK, Ellerbe's gone.

I guess Miami was just offering too much.

Oh well, we've seen this in the past and we always turn out okay, only difference is this time, no Ray. :(

Gatta get Ed back now, just hope the FO doesn't overpay.

Also quick question, the big reason why they traded Boldin was the free up money for Ellerbe right? Since he's now going to Miami, any chance they used that money and go after another somewhat big named FA or do they play it safe and quiet like they always do?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM    (permalink
asham27
Rookie

asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, $35 M over 5 years. Glad the Ravens didn't match that.
asham27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

I think Ozzie will play the second wave of the market. At this point, we have too many holes to fill, one splash FA won't cover it.

Needs:

LB: Unless Josh Bynes or Andre McClellan are ready to be the next Bart Scott/Dannell Ellerbe, we need another guy inside. It's even more imperative if McClain isn't 100%.
We also need a 3rd pass rusher behind Upshaw. McClellan can bounce outside but doesn't put fear into OT's.

NT: Kemo is likely gone and Cody is a liability against the run. I'd assume he stays on another year and they try to get him back to his glory days but he can't be trusted to be the guy.

WR: Unfortunately, we haven't seen anything of Tandon Doss to make us believe he can step up. Same with David Reed, Deonte Thompson, LaQuan Williams, or Tommy Streeter. If Torrey can be a #1, it softens the loss of Q, but we need to bring in someone who can compete for a starting gig. As someone who saw Jacoby as a primary target in Houston...it's not pretty.

C: Not a big need, but we shouldn't put all our eggs in Gradkowski.

Potential

FS: If Ed leaves, I will be very sad. Need a guy for the future.

LT: Oher is much better on the right side. McKinney will be a second wave guy but we might have our hand forced with no suitable replacement. A stopgap 2 year $8 million deal wouldn't be the worst thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we overpay a little here.