Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
He wasn't tagged but they tendered him at the 1st and 3rd round pick level. If that holds up there's no way we're getting him. I think they'll shell out the cash for him anyways, he's pretty much the only "pure" pass-rushing end they have. He's a prototypical fit for DE in Schwartz's system.
Never mind you're right. For some reason I thought they had chose not to tender him. Scratch him off the list.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Torrey Smith is a fantastic person and an even better player.
Great speed, really elusive, sure hands, and fine routes, he's going to be awesome. A+ Pick.
Trading up for Jah Reid confused me. I feel like he would've been there when it was our pick. Anyways, he's massive, aggressive and versatile. A real power run blocker. He can play RT, but he can also move inside to guard.
- I'm upset Nate Irving got drafted by Denver, everytime I really want a player they get drafted by someone else -_- (EJ Henderson too)
Anywho, here's my needs for the rest of the draft.
1) OLB - Sam Acho/Chris Carter/Jeremy Beal
2) ILB - Brian Duncan/Greg Jones
3) RB - Jordan Todman/Taiwan Jones/Kendall Hunter
eh Reid is 6-7" with an extremely small and weak lower body, I think he's a pure RT, will either succeed or fail at that position and I don't see a ton of versatility for other positions. I don't like his knee bend and lower body strength as mentioned above but he has a very strong upper body and uses his arms well. I think he'll struggle with stronger pass rushers but he should be a decent player. I don't think he's an immediate starter though.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thats what puzzled me w/ the pick originally. We need a RT week VS especially against PITT. We dont need a project
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
eh Reid is 6-7" with an extremely small and weak lower body, I think he's a pure RT, will either succeed or fail at that position and I don't see a ton of versatility for other positions. I don't like his knee bend and lower body strength as mentioned above but he has a very strong upper body and uses his arms well. I think he'll struggle with stronger pass rushers but he should be a decent player. I don't think he's an immediate starter though.
I don't know, Reid's lower body doesn't look all that small or weak to me. He's definitely a RT only prospect but that's not a bad thing if we drafted him with the intent to start at that position. Harbaugh referenced his ability to bend multiple times during the 2nd/3rd round press conference so I'm not sure where you're getting his inability not to either. If we don't keep Gaither and we want to move Yanda back inside what other option do we have at RT? We could bring in a free agent but I don't think this is a strong class for the position.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're right, I doubt the front office would trade up in the 3rd round for someone they thought would be a developmental guy. We already have that guy in Harewood.

Obviously they believe he can start day 1, I guess we will all just have to wait and see but I think the best news out of this is that Yanda is likely to go back to guard, where he is MUCH better suited.

Last edited by BmoreBlackByrdz : 05-03-2011 at 07:23 PM.
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea either way we will be in a tight spot. Either Chester will be at right guard, or a developmental rookie will be at RT vs. the steelers
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's free agency a couple guys out there like Jamaal Brown and Ryan Harris.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's free agency a couple guys out there like Jamaal Brown and Ryan Harris.
But signing either of those guys would likely relegate our third round pick to only a backup spot (aka a waste of a pick), not something I think we're going to do. If the salary cap remains somewhat the same after the new CBA is agreed to I doubt we'll have much spare room after we re-sign our own free agents, especially if we want to add another pass-rusher as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:26 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big Jah Reid fan so maybe I'm a little biased but I'd feel comfortable with him starting from the get go. It would certainly be baptism by fire week one against Lamarr Woodley but his skill set is well suited for a guy like Woodley (I'm sure the FO had that in mind when they drafted him) I feel confident that he can be counted on as the season goes along and as we head into the playoffs. Week one will be rough there no matter who's lined up at RT (unless its Yanda).

Last edited by TACKLE : 05-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
But signing either of those guys would likely relegate our third round pick to only a backup spot (aka a waste of a pick), not something I think we're going to do. If the salary cap remains somewhat the same after the new CBA is agreed to I doubt we'll have much spare room after we re-sign our own free agents, especially if we want to add another pass-rusher as well.
A super bowl contender should not be relying on a rookie to be a starter. Ravens traded up for Jah Reid because he is a big project and because he has a ton of potential. He's simply not ready. When he faced a step up in competition at the East West shrine game he was up and down often getting absolutely abused. His frame and arms though leave him with a ton of potential. Really in the 3rd round there were no OT's absolutely ready to start. Barksdale the next OT drafted is an even bigger prospect. Reid has a ton of potential so I don't know why you'd say that it would be a wasted pick if he didn't start.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
A super bowl contender should not be relying on a rookie to be a starter. Ravens traded up for Jah Reid because he is a big project and because he has a ton of potential. He's simply not ready. When he faced a step up in competition at the East West shrine game he was up and down often getting absolutely abused. His frame and arms though leave him with a ton of potential. Really in the 3rd round there were no OT's absolutely ready to start. Barksdale the next OT drafted is an even bigger prospect. Reid has a ton of potential so I don't know why you'd say that it would be a wasted pick if he didn't start.
It's a wasted pick if we sit him on the bench for the duration of his rookie contract, which is what would likely happened if we sign either Brown or Harris (or any other starting caliber tackle that isn't too old). A year or two to develop is fine, but sitting him longer than that isn't a good move with a third round pick. From Barksdale is a bigger project but I don't see how he impacts our intentions for Reid. If the rookie is good enough to start he should, and I think Reid is going to be the best option we have at RT. I guess we have different options on his readiness and that's fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are you all's opinion on Chykie Brown?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
Incredible physical tools, more impressive phyiscal tools than teammates Curtis Brown and Aaron Williams. He is a good in press coverage, pretty physical and uses his hands well. He has good speed and quickness. His technique is raw as anything though, also he has bad ball skills and can never locate the ball. He has been flat out embarassed at times but at times he's also looked like a earlier round pick. He's a nice project.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He gets beat all the time. He has been hyped up here at UT for so long and never turned into a big time player. He has some tools though. Good height, decent speed, extremely long arms.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

He's a great blitzer. I just wouldn't trust him in coverage beyond 15 yards.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He's a great blitzer. I just wouldn't trust him in coverage beyond 15 yards.
Idk about that. He may be the worst tackler in this entire draft.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Idk about that. He may be the worst tackler in this entire draft.
He actually does have a nice natural timing in his blitzes and can blow by a blitz pick up. That said it's not really hard blitzing from the QB's blindside to get in a good hit. So he can wrap up a 6ft 5 statue standing in the pocket, but when a back lowers his shoulder into him it's a whole nother story. I'm rooting for him though. He's a good kid and he's got potential.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chykie Brown still needs a lot of work. His technique and his decision making need a ton of help, but he will do work on punt coverage. He needs a few years on the bench but eventually I see him putting it all together
Old 05-05-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A great pick-up. He needs some good coaching and polish but all the tools to be a stud Corner and a future starter and at that point in the draft why not? He's gonna be depth and play ST right now anyway, but if he has someone who works with him there is no reason he can't start. Great skillset and tools to mold, I think by year 2 he will be able to contribute in passing downs and by his 3rd year should be good enough to be a solid #2 guy.

Aaron Williams might end up playing Safety, Curtis Brown has a higher floor and is more ready to play right now, but Brown has the highest ceiling and while you need to be more patient he's a pick you should expect more and more out of down the line.

If he had the same ball skills that Aaron Ross did coming out he would have been a late 1st rounder. I think all his problems are correctable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 05-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
A great pick-up. He needs some good coaching and polish but all the tools to be a stud Corner and a future starter and at that point in the draft why now? He's gonna be depth and play ST right now anyway, but if he has someone who works with him there is no reason he can't start. Great skillset and tools to mold, I think by year 2 he will be able to contribute in passing downs and by his 3rd year should be good enough to be a solid #2 guy.

Aaron Williams might end up playing Safety, Curtis Brown has a higher floor and is more ready to play right now, but Brown has the highest ceiling and while you need to be more patient he's a pick you should expect more and more out of down the line.

If he had the same ball skills that Aaron Ross did coming out he would have been a late 1st rounder. I think all his problems are correctable though.
yeah, after I read some reports on him, I thought the same thing, all his weaknesses are coachable. Hopefully he will become a solid #2 guy for us down the road, gonna be fun watching him develop.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just watch him end up being better than J. Smith in the end. I'm not saying its gonna happen or that I believe in it, but it would just be one of those weird draft things that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

I compare Chykie Brown to a Tyrus Thomas for you NBA fans. All the physical tools to be dominant, he can either become a stud by developing his skills and IQ, or he could be just another guy on special teams skating by on athleticism. But for a 5th round pick well worth the risk. Very few guys in this draft had the phyiscal gifts to potetially be a #1 corner. Even if Chykie never develops he will be a good special teamer which is all you can ask for in a 5th rounder.

Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP : 05-05-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I compare Chykie Brown to a Tyrus Thomas for your NBA fans. All the physical tools to be dominant, he can either become a stud by developing his skills and IQ, or he could be just another guy on special teams skating by on athleticism. But for a 5th round pick well worth the risk. Very few guys in this draft had the phyiscal gifts to potetially be a #1 corner. Even if Chykie never develops he will be a good special teamer which is all you can ask for in a 5th rounder.
This is more like it. Chykie was supposed to be the next great Longhorn DB when he got on campus. Very highly recruited and had all the tools. He redshirted, so people figured he was just getting everything down before they threw him in the fire. Plus Tarrell Brown and Aaron Ross were starting so we didn't need him. Curtis Brown (5-star recruit) then showed up on campus in 2007, and the two were hyped up to be a lockdown duo. First season together, they really didn't do anything. We got by with two much less athletic and smaller corners. Again, going into 08, and Aaron Williams came in, and none really made a huge impact, but they were all in and out of the starting lineup. Finally in 2009 (National Championship game), they were great with Earl Thomas and Blake Gideon over the top, plus a great D-line. Going into 2010 they were supposed to be the best defensive backfield in the country and it all fell apart, and they were average, Chykie reverted back to his younger years and gave up huge plays and never really looked like he knew what he was doing. If he can play like he did in 2009, which is a huge if, we could have an enormous steal. But I don't think it's that likely. His career has been a huge what if and he rarely delivers. Really hoping he does though obviously cause he's a Horn and now a Raven.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Is it motivation? Does he simply not care as much for football? How's his character?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Is it motivation? Does he simply not care as much for football? How's his character?
All I've ever heard from Mack Brown or the posters on Orangebloods (UT sports site) is that he's a stand up kid who works hard and plays hard. He just never picked up the game like they thought he would I guess. Some guys take a while to get the mental part down or maybe he just doesn't have the instincts. Longhorn DB's all have great coaching, that's why they get drafted high and win the Thorpe Award (Huff, Ross), but maybe Akina (DB coach) never got through to Chykie. That's what I'm hoping because you can't really teach instincts.