Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love what Flacco has been doing with the rookies. He's making this his offense, and showing the new guys he's the boss. Hopefully that leadership and bravado transfers to the field.

On a side note, does anyone think Joe is very skinny for being listed at 230?
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see that, but at 6'6 being 230 you will look like a twig compared to other NFL players.

I also think this youth movement at WR is good. Perhaps Flacco was a little intimidated by the careers and names of Boldin/Mason/Hoosh so that could have effected their communication. Now it will be reversed.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm really starting to think that doss may end up being better than torrey.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
i'm really starting to think that doss may end up being better than torrey.
He might be more productive in the long run. But I think Torrey is going to play a more significant role this year. Mason and Boldin can do everything Doss does but at a significantly higher level. We don't have anyone on the roster than can stretch the field over the top like Torrey. It might not show up on the stat sheet that much but his presence should benefit the underneath routes.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
He might be more productive in the long run. But I think Torrey is going to play a more significant role this year. Mason and Boldin can do everything Doss does but at a significantly higher level. We don't have anyone on the roster than can stretch the field over the top like Torrey. It might not show up on the stat sheet that much but his presence should benefit the underneath routes.
i don't disagree with you at all there.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with everything everyone said bout Doss VS. Smith. Im still nervous about Smith as a prospect but Doss has everything to be a good starter in this league, good size, great hands and routes, he is tough(playing through 2 hernias) he is fast enough and Flacco loves him.

Also another random thought is Im real excited about our CB depth. I assume we will resign either Carr or Wilson. Smith,Fox,Carr/Wilson,Webb is a great 4some. I wouldnt complain w/ Webb as a starter and he may end up being a #4. This depth is great, we need it against teams that like to do the spread like Packers, Pats etc.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Also another random thought is Im real excited about our CB depth. I assume we will resign either Carr or Wilson. Smith,Fox,Carr/Wilson,Webb is a great 4some. I wouldnt complain w/ Webb as a starter and he may end up being a #4. This depth is great, we need it against teams that like to do the spread like Packers, Pats etc.
I really hope that we resign Wilson. Carr gets credit as our most consistent CB, but Wilson really came on strong late in the season and Carr really struggled against the Steelers in the playoffs. I've heard the Lions are very interested in Carr and might throw a big deal at him too.

Wilson is younger, more of a playmaker, and has that extra gear. He slides into the slot well just like Carr and plays with that "Raven" mentality.

Not to bash on Carr at all, I just think letting Wilson go right as he reaches his prime is a big mistake. Carr is an opportunistic corner who plays with intensity but I think he will be overvalued in free agency. Go watch the Houston game and the Steelers playoff game and he just gives up a ton of big receptions.

I don't think Webb is ready to handle a starting job and I'm very iffy about Foxworth's recovery. He's still pretty young, so that's good but the amount of cutting required by CBs is ridiculous and I wouldn't want to depend on Webb and a rookie if he's not 100%.

I expect Landry to get a big FA deal and have Zbikowski replace him. Carr will get a decent deal and we're letting Fabian walk. Webb can play safety in a pinch and is a solid gunner to replace Marcus Smith, who I can't see room for with the new wideouts. While Fox is getting back into the groove, I'd play Wilson and Jimmy Smith as starters and have Fox come in and Wilson play the slot against three wide. 3rd and long, we could play a nickel and three safeties, I'd actually rather have Webb back there instead of Haruki. And the coaches like to play Haruki in the slot in dime packages too. Chykie Brown probably won't be on the active roster much, but he needs time to develop before he sees the field, although he is a great blitzer. Thinking about this stuff just gets me really excited for the season and really jealous of Chuck Pagano's job. Being the Raven's D coordinator would be awesome. Hopefully we blitz a whole lot more this season and forget about the three man rush. I sure Pagano has some stuff up his sleeve.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I agree that Wilson>>>>Carr but Wilson will probably want a contract similiar to what Fox recieved when he came here. Carr will probably be cheaper.

Also I think Zbi will be an upgrade over Landry at SS so hopefully Landry goes.

Carry Williams/Brown whoever our #5 CB will be will be a good gunner on Special teams. David Reed was a good gunner last year also Im not worried about that.

also I dont get the facination the coaching staff has w/ Nakamura. He is a high energy special teamer and thats it. I sure as hell hope he doesnt see the field.

and I agree w/ Pagano we better blitz more. The lack of CB skill isnt an excuse not to blitz. Look at 2008. Cmac got IRd so our CBs were Rolle,Washington,Walker,Ivey. W/ injuries in the AFC title game Walker was our number ******* 1 and we were able to at least not get embarassed by PITT @ Pitt. We need to bring the heat. I know it sucks we lost 2 years of our lives watching Mattison lolly gag w/ the D but now we have someone who knows what they are doing it seems like
Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, those days are over. Pagano looks like he knows what he's doing.

As for Landry, I think he's as good as gone. We have so many other players that are more important that him + we have a history of letting our SS's next to Reed walk.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Does anyone else think Zbi will be an upgrade over Landry also? He may be a slight downgrade in run support but a big upgrade in pass coverage.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Does anyone else think Zbi will be an upgrade over Landry also? He may be a slight downgrade in run support but a big upgrade in pass coverage.
Definitely agree. Even when Reed was out, Zbi was playing pretty disciplined deep coverage. We didn't have the big plays but I think we were #3 in Pass D or something like that. Putting both of them back there at the same time seems like a win win. And hopefully with Cody getting some more PT next year, we'll be able to slow down some of the opponents rushing attack (Cody has that domination ability). Zbi can tackle, it's just harder for him to bring down a big RB at full speed than Landry cause Landry's got 20 lbs on him. If we control the LOS, those RB's won't be rolling downhill as hard.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Its not like Zbi is gonna be Fabian Washington against the run. Zbi will more then hold his own against the run and is a far better cover man then Landry.

I do have high hopes for Cody, He showed me a lot in that KC game. This is one of my favorite plays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01j8FdjWPlc

How many DTs have the motor to even try to make that play, and how many DTs actually have the athletic ability to catch up to Charles. THat was impressive.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

2000 playoff D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHfmH...eature=related
Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm totally on the Zbi train. I like Landry but Zbi is a step up in coverage and Landry probably wont be resigned.

I really worry that this locked out offseason really wont do any favors for Cody. I hope he can try to keep his weight in check and be reasonably in shape for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I really worry that this locked out offseason really wont do any favors for Cody. I hope he can try to keep his weight in check and be reasonably in shape for the season.
That's a good point. I haven't heard anything about him his offseason either. Hopefully he's doing what it takes to remain in decent shape. He can be extremely valuable this year if he can keep the double teams off of Ngata. We really needed this offseason to develop the younger D-lineman (Cody, Kruger, Art Jones, Kindle if he's healthy). JJ has lost some quickness and doesn't have the moves to be an effective pass rusher, so we need some of the big guys to get some pressure.

Random idea to throw out - Does anyone think JJ might switch inside in a few years? He sheds really well and can work down the line through trash, but he doesn't have the burst or quickness to beat tackles. I think he could be better suited inside working against guards. I wouldn't put any faith in Sergio being the next guy outside so I wouldn't be opposed to investing a 1st rounder in a pass rusher next year just to get some more speed outside. Just a thought. This lock out is devastatingly boring.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I thought bout JJ to ILB when we drafted Kindle before the injury. I figured we could get crazy with blitzes with Suggs-JJ-LEwis-Kindle. I figured we could even rotate Kindle at ILB cause he did play SLB in college. But Kindle is up in the air at this point who knows what will happen. How many years does JJ have? I think this maybe his last year. I think he will comeback after this year. But him not tackling that bench warming scrub against the steelers just kills me. I wanted Landry and JJ head since that play.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I thought bout JJ to ILB when we drafted Kindle before the injury. I figured we could get crazy with blitzes with Suggs-JJ-LEwis-Kindle. I figured we could even rotate Kindle at ILB cause he did play SLB in college. But Kindle is up in the air at this point who knows what will happen. How many years does JJ have? I think this maybe his last year. I think he will comeback after this year. But him not tackling that bench warming scrub against the steelers just kills me. I wanted Landry and JJ head since that play.
When Bart Scott left, I thought JJ could shift inside. It just seems like it could play to his strengths, although he's not that great in coverage, he's still decent. But JJ isn't really that old, he's turning 30 right before the season starts and he's only had 5 seasons of significant playing time. I could see him playing three or four more years as a starter. It's not so much that he's lost a step, but that he didn't have that explosiveness in the first place. I really think he should at least cross train in the middle because the young trio of Gooden, McClain and Ellerbe just aren't getting it done. Either way there are plenty of linebackers, both inside 34 guys and rush backers, who could ideal fits for our D in the 1st round.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Gooden cant get it done the guy just inst good. McClain is a solid backup. We will need JJ at OLB cause we dont have anyone else that can play it. I think we can all agree our best LB corp will be Suggs-Ellerbe-Lewis-JJ
Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Gooden cant get it done the guy just inst good. McClain is a solid backup. We will need JJ at OLB cause we dont have anyone else that can play it. I think we can all agree our best LB corp will be Suggs-Ellerbe-Lewis-JJ
Completely agree with that. Just moving forward, if we pick up a competent OLB who can play opposite Suggs, like a Calvin Pace kind of player, JJ could move inside, and I think he could elongate his career if he does that, and allow us to get some more speed on the outside in the process, maybe pick up Courtney Upshaw in the draft or something.

*Brandon Jenkins might be my favorite player who should be in our range.

Last edited by America : 05-28-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I say a short deal w/ high incentives for Gaither. IDC that we spent a pick on Reid.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:11 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I say a short deal w/ high incentives for Gaither. IDC that we spent a pick on Reid.
Doubt he'd even accept something like that. He's looking for long-term guarantees. And I'm sure one desperate team out there would hook him up with a 4 year deal with 10 million in easy guarantees. Something like Max Starks (4, 26M, 10M G).

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda...yer/Max-Starks

I think we're gonna have enough $$ tied up with Ngata and Yanda, plus hopefully Wilson. McGahee might still be on the books even if we get rid of him. Not at all sure of that though. I just can't see the coaching staff taking a chance on Gaither.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yea its wishful thinking at this point. Im just scared he goes to Pitt.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
yea its wishful thinking at this point. Im just scared he goes to Pitt.
I don't really see it. They get Willie Colon back at RT, Jonathan Scott is still young and played pretty well and they just drafted Marcus Gilbert in the 2nd round. Plus he doesn't really fit their mold for O-Lineman. I can think of a couple more LT needy teams that would probably more willing to fork out cash. I really wouldn't worry about that possibility too much.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Buffalo and Chicago could be potential landing spots. I'm pretty sure they both have cap room to spare and serious LT issues.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:30 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
That's a good point. I haven't heard anything about him his offseason either. Hopefully he's doing what it takes to remain in decent shape. He can be extremely valuable this year if he can keep the double teams off of Ngata. We really needed this offseason to develop the younger D-lineman (Cody, Kruger, Art Jones, Kindle if he's healthy). JJ has lost some quickness and doesn't have the moves to be an effective pass rusher, so we need some of the big guys to get some pressure.

Random idea to throw out - Does anyone think JJ might switch inside in a few years? He sheds really well and can work down the line through trash, but he doesn't have the burst or quickness to beat tackles. I think he could be better suited inside working against guards. I wouldn't put any faith in Sergio being the next guy outside so I wouldn't be opposed to investing a 1st rounder in a pass rusher next year just to get some more speed outside. Just a thought. This lock out is devastatingly boring.
I'd imagine the odds of Kindle starting inside would be higher then Johnson. I remember during the predraft process there were a few people, myself included, that thought Kindle might be a better fit inside in a 3-4 then outside. I really like him in a Karlos Dansby kind of role in the NFL. I remember having this convo with Toon around draft time...Kindle can play anywhere in the 3-4, but I can definitely envision him getting alot of snaps from an ILB position. If you go back and look at his college tape, there were a ton of instances where he was less pass rushing and more blitzing, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I really do hope Sergio comes back healthy though, he'd be an instant boost for our LB core whereever we put him, assuming he's healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote