Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

Am I the only one who would love to see him on our team next year? I think taking him in the first round would be a great Idea. None of these cornerbacks really stand out in my opinion and i dont feel confortable with one of them. David Barrett still is good, and we can make due with him and dyson with poteat at the nickel. Unless an athletic DE/OLB like Moss or Spencer falls to us, We would have to take olsen. He would add a whole new dynamic to our offense. He would open up the receivers and add threat over the middle not named coles.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Like always, depends who is on the draft board.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say my happiness regarding that selection would depend entirely who else the Jets draft day one. IMO, the Jets need 2 offensive linemen (RT and LG or RT and RG and move Moore to LG) and either someone to help with the pass rush or a nose tackle.

The way I see it, with the players the Jets have acquired, they have at least one selection to address something that is a lesser need, which I see as TE, CB and ILB.

And with so few people capable of playing 3-4 NT in this year's draft, the Jets may leave that until next year or re-try Sione Pouha.

But IMO, if the Jets don't get a RT and an offensive guard (preferably Josh Beekman or Manny Ramirez), I'll be a bit ticked at the selection of Olson.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with Crickett on this one, I think we must have our eye on somebody at each position because we need so much help at both. Imagine our team with two great run blockers added to the line, our offense would be so much better. And I'm also with jetsfan3, depends who's available. But if we fill our needs and nobody I'd rather take is on the board (not many people) I'm all for taking Olsen.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

yaa i gotta go with pretty much all of the above on this one...it seems like all of us pretty much have the positions and players we want, so its clear we can go a ton of different ways...i love the idea of having blaylock pave the way for TJ, but then again if revis or houston is there and by some chance in hell leon hall (i dont think thats gonna happen but if for some crazy reason then by all means) i say we can grab that CB only if they are of elite talent, and def get Ramirez or beekman...and if olsen is there and they play on getting a tanard jackson and a ramirez then that sounds fantastic...either way im sure they have a better plan than i do hah

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

The problem with what you guys are saying is that you can't rely on the draft to get starters all the time. We took 2 O lineman last year. If you wanna draft 2 more this year, and prepare them to start, that is too young and inexperienced an offensive line to be comfortable with. Either sign guys in free agency, or work with the guys we have. Kendall is still a good lineman, and you could do much worse than Brandon Moore. What you hafta remember is that we are no longer rebuilding. We can win now. And getting Olsen would help us right away, as opposed to having to wait for an O lineman to develop. Because we have a core for our O line for years to come, it shouldnt consume our draft. A guy like olsen can step right in and make a difference, clearing the middle of the field, creating less double coverages on Coles and Cotchery, and givng Chad one more target
Old 03-14-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

i think with the addition of thomas jones that will take double teams away from the recievers considering they will have to honor the run more so now...the thing is drafting blaylock or ramirez is hopefully a def upgrade, and generally with offensive linemen they come right in and play, guys who are meant to start dont often sit on the bench and learn from a veteran...and we aren't drafting just to win the superbowl this year, we are drafting with the idea of competing for the superbowl this year, the next year, the year after etc. i personally think drafting olineman is a great idea, that means depending on how many lineman we draft 3 or 4 of them could be playing together for the better part of a decade...what chemistry thatd be

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets View Post
The problem with what you guys are saying is that you can't rely on the draft to get starters all the time. We took 2 O lineman last year. If you wanna draft 2 more this year, and prepare them to start, that is too young and inexperienced an offensive line to be comfortable with. Either sign guys in free agency, or work with the guys we have. Kendall is still a good lineman, and you could do much worse than Brandon Moore. What you hafta remember is that we are no longer rebuilding. We can win now. And getting Olsen would help us right away, as opposed to having to wait for an O lineman to develop. Because we have a core for our O line for years to come, it shouldnt consume our draft. A guy like olsen can step right in and make a difference, clearing the middle of the field, creating less double coverages on Coles and Cotchery, and givng Chad one more target
1. But who is left in free agency? And who do we have to work with at right tackle? Anthony Clement is a free agent.

2. One of the reasons I'm so eager for the Jets to add Manny Ramirez or Aaron Sears or Justin Blalock can be summed up in 2 words: run blocking. Something the Jets offensive line was sorely lacking this past year.

3. How many TE's in the NFL have stepped right in and made that much of a difference? With the exception of Jeremy Shockey, even the best TE's in the NFL weren't the best as rookies. Sure, the Jets could take Olsen and he probably provide an immediate upgrade (as would Blalock or Ramirez), but I doubt he's gonna set the world on fire as a rookie.

4. 4 out of the 5 offensive linemen in San Diego (the best OL in the NFL) have 3 years of starting experience or less. Just sayin'.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look at the job Mangold did last year. We have the two most important positions on the line set, Mangold makes line calls (I believe) and D'Brick has the blindside. Everything else is much easier for a guy to step in. Both guard spots and right tackle need upgrades and can be improved through the draft in the second or third round area. We probably won't take a guy in the first simply because nobody of value would be there to take, but I'm saying that as of now and it is very subject to change. If there's a good OL value in the first I don't see why we wouldn't pull the trigger, and we definitely need to get 2 guys in the rest of day 1. And as Crickett said, our run blocking is terrible and could really stand to be improved, and a guy like Manny Ramirez could help a ton there, as could a big RT. We don't have road graders on our line, and I definitely want at least 1 guy to run behind on third and short this year, and I'd prefer 2.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

God damnit, I seriously don't understand why people want Greg Olsen for the Jets, let alone an actual jets fan. He's an alright TE, wow...

He prolly won't be availible for starters. Second, why the hell would the Jets go for a TE? Their passing game is terrific and with an improved OL and RB core, will be even better, why gamble on a TE, a position that is so far down on the position of need list, when it's nearly a known fact that the Jets will never pick a TE in the first round who won't bust..

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The Jets would take a TE if there are no good 3-4 OLB's, offensive or defensive linemen, or corners available. Kind of like everyone said earlier in this thread...Olsen is an upgrade, could be Schotty's version of Gates, is a good short threat as well as red zone threat which we need, and has the speed to get up the seam. If there's nobody that fills a need available and Olsen is there, why not? And our passing game is pretty good but could definitely improve.