Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Seahawks send 3rd round pick for CHARLIE WHITEHURST

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers have completed a trade that sends third-string Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle for draft picks.The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.
0 NFL Regular season snaps...Wow... Nothing much to say here.awful move even to obtain a backup. Huge gain by the chargers. They better see A LOT in this guy. He'll be 28 this season. The send a 3rd and swap a 2nd w/ the Chargers.

Normally this trade wouldn't be thread worthy but it's just so bad value wise I had to post it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5005254

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-18-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lolwut? that is all...
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whitehurst is 28 years old, year older than Aaron Rodgers
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, I wouldn't have given up a third for a backup.

Maybe a fourth, because he'll probably start sometime during the season for Seattle, especially if the offensive line doesn't hold up and Hasselbeck's back goes awry again.

Also, I think this all but solidifies an OT being picked at #6

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. That's just a bizarre move. I had heard that they might offer a fourth for him but even that seemed a little excessive. I don't think they'll take Clausen at this point, but I could be wrong. Still, if they feel like Whitehurst is good enough for all that, they probably see him as a starting quarterback.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chargers got more for Whitehurst than they did for Cromartie.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone remember what the Texans gave up for Schaub? How does this compare?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Anyone remember what the Texans gave up for Schaub? How does this compare?
this is much much more I.M.O.
Some were pretty sure schaub was going to be decent, whitehurst on the otherhand..... well you know what. it's charlie whitehurst. that explains it.

they flopped firsts and houston sent 2 2nd's btw. in any event. wow.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But Mike Teel Is The Future There!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
this is much much more I.M.O.
Some were pretty sure schaub was going to be decent, whitehurst on the otherhand..... well you know what. it's charlie whitehurst. that explains it.

they flopped firsts and houston sent 2 2nd's btw. in any event. wow.
Ok yeah, that is a lot more. But at least with Schaub it looks like they made the right move and he had playing experience. This move seems a bit reckless.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Charlie Whitehurst the prospect. Quite a bit actually. If you don't remember, check out some YouTube highlight clips from Clemson (I know thats not that accurate, but its the only way to really check him out).. you can tell hes talented. I thought he was a legit prospect with starter potential.

But that was pre him being behind Billy Volek on a depth chart for a bunch of years..How could he not beat him out? Its not like hes really young and needed to develop... hes 28..
So while I loved him coming out in the draft, no one has ever seen him in a regular season NFL game, and the Chargers didnt even feel comfortable enough to make him the backup. So I dont understand why his price was this high...

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Such a ******* terrible move by the Seahawks. They could have got a potential starter at #40 but instead swap down twenty spots AND on top of that they send a 2011 3rd rounder?

No wonder Pete Carroll left for college when he could years ago. This dude will be out of the league in three years, if that.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Many fans always assume a QB will be a bust before he ever gets a chance to play. They seem to have an idea in their head that teams should only acquire sure fire star QBs. Well, that's not realistic. Teams have to gamble in order to find quality QBs. Seattle gave up a lot because that's what it takes to get a talented young QB. It's not like Seattle has a lot of options. One way or another they have to take a risk on a QB.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Regular View Post
I liked Charlie Whitehurst the prospect. Quite a bit actually. If you don't remember, check out some YouTube highlight clips from Clemson (I know thats not that accurate, but its the only way to really check him out).. you can tell hes talented. I thought he was a legit prospect with starter potential.
I saw him on You Tube once looked good.

Signed,
Pete Carroll
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like a REALLY stupid move right now, but I'm going to reserve judgement to see if Whitehurst can play. Personally, I don't think he can, but I've been wrong many times before. If they think he can start for them a 3rd isn't a high price I suppose.

He was a 3rd round pick three years ago. Maybe they figure that they're getting a 3rd round pick that will be a solid backup without having to develop him at all.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
MizzouBig12
Rookie

MizzouBig12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.MizzouBig12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He has good measurables and his youtube Clemson video is nice, but years behind Billy Volek? Since I don't pay much attention to Charger's preseason games, has anyone seen him play in those?
MizzouBig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Seahawks fans, enjoy the Pete Carroll Experience while you can - he's heading right back to college after he runs your franchise into the ground.

Next trade for the Seahawks: Aaron Curry to the Patriots for a 2010 3rd rounder and a 2011 4th rounder.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First of all - money is no thing to this team. They do not care if they just pissed away $10 million.

I have no idea if Whitehurst will be worth it - he's still a prospect. For some reason, teams were interested in him.

About him "not being able to beat out Billy Volek" - Since CW was drafted, the Chargers have been one of the top teams in the league. Every single game for them has Championship implications. Even if CW is more talented than Volek (probable), you don't give him the backup job with the solid team they had. Volek's not a bad player himself, and they'd much rather have an experienced player ready to step in for x amount of time in the event of an injury to Rivers.

To me, the Seahawks just invested a draft pick in a prospect. To me, this is the exact same thing as if they just spent a 2nd on Dan LeFevour. You can argue that he wasn't worth it until your blue in the face, but the bottom line is that no one knows how this prospect will turn out.

I've knocked the Seahawks for a lot (Aaron Curry, Housh), but taking a risk to possibly find a young starting QB is not a terrible move right now - it may turn out to be one - but for right now they moved down in a deep draft in the second and got rid of a 3rd next year - draft picks are valued a lot on this draft site - but 2nd and 3rd round picks aren't always parlayed into contributing NFL players.

Bottom line is let's just see. We're all assuming he's not a good quarterback because he sat behind PHILIP RIVERS and a solid, experienced, veteran backup on a perennial Super Bowl contender. Come on now. The only valid argument against the move is to go back to the Clemson tape and prove he was an awful prospect - and once you go there - we are just talking about another prospect - questions, projections, opinions, predictions - but no answers until he sees the field in the NFL.

In my view, this is a low-risk, high reward situation (think back to your batting average for third round picks).
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Chargers always seem to absolutely rob people in trades this is no exception. Swapping seconds on top of a third round pick in one of the most promising drafts in quite some time. If you just want a backup get Dan Lafevour or Colt McCoy for much less in the draft
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
The Chargers always seem to absolutely rob people in trades this is no exception. Swapping seconds on top of a third round pick in one of the most promising drafts in quite some time. If you just want a backup get Dan Lafevour or Colt McCoy for much less in the draft
Everybody's been robbing the Seahawks lately.

I fully expect Pete Carroll to trade away Aaron Curry for a 3rd rounder soon.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
Seahawks fans, enjoy the Pete Carroll Experience while you can - he's heading right back to college after he runs your franchise into the ground.

Next trade for the Seahawks: Aaron Curry to the Patriots for a 2010 3rd rounder and a 2011 4th rounder.
We're not enjoying the experience as of yet.

The thing that really annoys me is by swapping the seconds they probably just blew chances of getting someone like a Gerhart or maybe even Mathews who most likely will be gobbled up by the Chargers.

I dont expect that much from Whitehurst, Hasselbeck will probably get most of the work and if they are picking high again next year (most likely) they will sober up and draft a real QB for the future.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
We're not enjoying the experience as of yet.

The thing that really annoys me is by swapping the seconds they probably just blew chances of getting someone like a Gerhart or maybe even Mathews who most likely will be gobbled up by the Chargers.

I dont expect that much from Whitehurst, Hasselbeck will probably get most of the work and if they are picking high again next year (most likely) they will sober up and draft a real QB for the future.
then he's helping you out already with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

Regardless of what people think of Whitehursts "potential", the 3rd next year should've been MORE than enough to get him in trade.

The only other team kicking Whitehursts tires was AZ, and they had already signed DA when this trade went down!

50% AJ Smith is good, 50% Carroll is a complete tool.

Luckily for AFC West fans this won't really help the Chargers cause AJ hasn't had a good draft in 3-4 years.
contento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Volek is the ******* truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
then he's helping you out already with that.
And if he played for Rutgers he'd be the best thing since sliced bread.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote