Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
MikeTeel
Rookie

MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.MikeTeel could make a wolverine purr.

How is moving up 20 spots in the 2nd, and a future 3rd, the equivalent to a 3rounder this year? Doesn't make sense to me. I would have been happy with a future third and a swap of 4th round picks, that seems more fair to me. With that said, why is Whitehurst worth 10 million over 2 years? I don't understand that either.
MikeTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notice how people continue to bash the move, but nobody has a better idea for how Seattle should address their huge, huge need for a long term starting QB. The longer they wait around for the perfect QB prospect to fall into their lap, the longer it will be until they are likely to be consistent contenders.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Notice how people continue to bash the move, but nobody has a better idea for how Seattle should address their huge, huge need for a long term starting QB. The longer they wait around for the perfect QB prospect to fall into their lap, the longer it will be until they are likely to be consistent contenders.
They should address it via draft.

Now, I will continue to laugh at the move.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
They should address it via draft.

Now, I will continue to laugh at the move.
Which QB and where should they have drafted him had they not traded for Whitehurst? Show me this significantly lesser risk than the move they made.

Keep in mind, it's now easier for Seattle to use their 2 first round picks on other positions if they don't like any of the first round possibilities at QB.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

only two year deal because jake locker is coming to town next season.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
God damn it you beat me too it...
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
that's cynical... why would they spend all that cash and all that dow if they're wonna pick 1st overall regardless? Doesn't make any sense, they could just get some scrub on the team do do that.

also I think Locker is already in town :P

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wow...that hadn't crossed my mind.

edit: and if they can't get Locker, there are some other strong looking QB prospects that may be available next year. Whitehurst at least gives then quality depth(on paper IMO) if Hasslebeck can't stay healthy next year and they need someone to compete with a rookie first rounder in 2011.

Last edited by Halsey : 03-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For those in the Jake Locker camp this move is a little puzzling. Whitehurst may pan out sort of like a Matt Cassel or a Matt Schaub but pardon me if i dont see him taking the Hawks to the Superbowl.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
For those in the Jake Locker camp this move is a little puzzling. Whitehurst may pan out sort of like a Matt Cassel or a Matt Schaub but pardon me if i dont see him taking the Hawks to the Superbowl.
If the Hawks are still in position to get Jake Locker, Charlie Whitehurst won't stop them from picking him up.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
If the Hawks are still in position to get Jake Locker, Charlie Whitehurst won't stop them from picking him up.
I'm hoping you're right. I'm willing to give pistol Pete some time. It doesnt look like much is going to come out of free agency so it's all about the draft. At the end of draft week we'll see how the chips fall before we abandon ship here. Got my life jacket on though just in case.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
that's cynical... why would they spend all that cash and all that dow if they're wonna pick 1st overall regardless? Doesn't make any sense, they could just get some scrub on the team do do that.

I admit I lol'd.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:

Bring back the territorial draft like they used to have in hockey.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
His numbers aren't pedestrian in the preseason because he was a middle of the road guy. He sometimes looked great, sometimes chucked it all over the place. Seattle obviously targeted him and views him as a potential starter, and so did Zona. I'm pretty sure you didn't tune in for those ultra exciting Charger preseason matchups, so I don't know how you can diss this pickup.

I don't think they gave up all that much to be honest. A 3rd next year, some position this year. I'm happy to take it, from the Bolt perspective it's still something out of nothing, but let's not pretend like Seattle has banked their whole franchise on this move.
I did watch him play against Seattle, which is probably more than 90% of most fans. But how much do I have to watch to know he sucks? The numbers overwhelmingly speak for themselves. In his 4th preseason Whitehurst can't even throw more TD's than INT's on top of fumbling 3 times???

People have compared this trade to the Hasselbeck trade quite a bit, but Hass was always good in the preseason...not like this Jesus-haired bum.

I'm not the only one dissing it either, Schefter said it's the most shocking(read:bad) move of the offseason- and two guys who know the Seahawks really well, Brock Huard and John Clayton, both think Carroll grossly overcompensated the Chargers.

Quote:
Wouldn't this be a problem for any QB that gets brought into Seattle?
It wouldn't be different for another Vet on a short term deal, say Derek Anderson. But any rookie brought in would get the benefit of at least 4-5 years with the team as it rebuilt. Now Whitehurst must first pass Hasselbeck on the depth chart, and then earn his 5mil/yr while also proving that giving up the picks was worth it...in the span of two years.
contento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I have a better idea, draft a QB like many other successful new regimes have done lately.

Flacco, Ryan, Henne, Sanchez, Stafford, etc have all been drafted by new HC's and front offices in the past couple years...none of those teams were dumb enough to trade for a 3rd stringer with zero reg.season pass attempts and try and convince people he's their QB of the future.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento View Post
I did watch him play against Seattle, which is probably more than 90% of most fans.
Cool, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento
But how much do I have to watch to know he sucks?
...more than 1 game?

Quote:
The numbers overwhelmingly speak for themselves. In his 4th preseason Whitehurst can't even throw more TD's than INT's on top of fumbling 3 times???
Those numbers don't speak for themselves, they have zero context. This is all placing more weight on preseason with 3rd stringers than anyone should be comfortable with anyway.

Quote:
People have compared this trade to the Hasselbeck trade quite a bit, but Hass was always good in the preseason...not like this Jesus-haired bum.
Oh no you di'int.

Quote:
I'm not the only one dissing it either, Schefter said it's the most shocking(read:bad) move of the offseason- and two guys who know the Seahawks really well, Brock Huard and John Clayton, both think Carroll grossly overcompensated the Chargers.
Schefter is a huge dork, and a drama queen besides. Whitehurst will be Seattle's starter at QB, so does a 3rd rounder next year and a shift down reaaaallly qualify as 'grossly overcompensating'? It's a gamble, like any unknown commodity at the QB position is. But if it pans out, and he plays like a real quarterback, you'll have a tough time convincing people that they overpaid.

Quote:
It wouldn't be different for another Vet on a short term deal, say Derek Anderson. But any rookie brought in would get the benefit of at least 4-5 years with the team as it rebuilt. Now Whitehurst must first pass Hasselbeck on the depth chart, and then earn his 5mil/yr while also proving that giving up the picks was worth it...in the span of two years.
What happens after 2 years? He drowns in the rain? If he's moving in the direction they need him to, he'll be resigned. If not, he's a stopgap until the next QB of the future.

Besides, Hasselbeck is made of glass these days, and there was nothing behind him on the depth chart. Seattle needed someone who could take the reins this year, and they obviously weren't the biggest fans of Bradford/Clausen, or wanted to hold out til next year without leaving the cupboard completely bare.

I don't know why I'm so opinionated on this subject but I like the fit and don't see a whole lot of downside to sending off a 3rd rounder on a guy who can be your QB, especially in a bad draft for collegiate QBs.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Arizona was the other team that was reported interested, once they got Anderson and bowed out, logic would reason they would reduce their trade offer. Instead they raise their offer, give up a high third and swap seconds, not a little swap, a big one.

I understand that Carrol thinks he's a franchise QB, but why. How did he come to this conclusion?
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
I understand that Carrol thinks he's a franchise QB, but why. How did he come to this conclusion?
he probably read it in the sporting news

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Besides, Hasselbeck is made of glass these days, and there was nothing behind him on the depth chart. Seattle needed someone who could take the reins this year, and they obviously weren't the biggest fans of Bradford/Clausen, or wanted to hold out til next year without leaving the cupboard completely bare.

I don't know why I'm so opinionated on this subject but I like the fit and don't see a whole lot of downside to sending off a 3rd rounder on a guy who can be your QB, especially in a bad draft for collegiate QBs.
You make an excellent point, except they did have depth behind Hasselbeck, but traded it away.

What did the Seahawks get for Seneca?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post

Well according to the press conference I think the main reason was Schneider liked him coming out of Clemson...oh and they reviewed his stellar preseason game tape.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You make an excellent point, except they did have depth behind Hasselbeck, but traded it away.

What did the Seahawks get for Seneca?
yeah, but Pete Carroll hates black people so there's a lot of stuff at play there.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

Quote:

Those numbers don't speak for themselves, they have zero context. This is all placing more weight on preseason with 3rd stringers than anyone should be comfortable with anyway.
1 game is more than most people commenting on Whitehurst, and how can you say his preseason stats have "zero context"? If that's true then he could've thrown 100 TDs and 0 INT's and you'd have the same opinion of him.

Final scores don't matter in preseason games, but when a guy throws 2 picks and fumbles 3 times(and can't complete 60% of his passes) in limited snaps it says volumes.

Quote:
Schefter is a huge dork, and a drama queen besides. Whitehurst will be Seattle's starter at QB, so does a 3rd rounder next year and a shift down reaaaallly qualify as 'grossly overcompensating'? It's a gamble, like any unknown commodity at the QB position is. But if it pans out, and he plays like a real quarterback, you'll have a tough time convincing people that they overpaid.
Whitehurst hasn't won the job yet man, but if he doesn't win the job from Hass it's gonna be a major red flag. For 5mil/yr he better do more than hold the clip board.

Quote:
What happens after 2 years? He drowns in the rain? If he's moving in the direction they need him to, he'll be resigned. If not, he's a stopgap until the next QB of the future.
After 2 seasons Whitehurst will be 30, and if he can play well enough to get an extension on that horrible offense I would be shocked. Of course this is all dependent on him beating out Hass, who is a better QB than Volek...
Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
1 game is more than most people commenting on Whitehurst, and how can you say his preseason stats have "zero context"? If that's true then he could've thrown 100 TDs and 0 INT's and you'd have the same opinion of him.

Final scores don't matter in preseason games, but when a guy throws 2 picks and fumbles 3 times(and can't complete 60% of his passes) in limited snaps it says volumes.
Well your exaggeration aside, preseason does require some contextual thought. For instance, I can tell you the Charger O-line is garbage and has no depth, and that he was throwing to guys like Gary Banks and Kris Wilson.

...understandably this isn't much better than what Seattle has to offer but it's a young program and I am pretty sure they're implementing a ZBS. Night and day between starters and scrubs, and that will always affect the #s. Now I get that seeing that one preseason game has solidified your opinion, but believe it or not he looked decent in some other preseason games. Pete Carroll might be a weirdo but he's not a noob. He understands what to look for in a quarterback, and that's more important than the fact that he fumbled during the preseason last year.

Quote:
Whitehurst hasn't won the job yet man, but if he doesn't win the job from Hass it's gonna be a major red flag. For 5mil/yr he better do more than hold the clip board.
I definitely agree. But who knows, they won't hand him the job. Could be next year.

Quote:
After 2 seasons Whitehurst will be 30, and if he can play well enough to get an extension on that horrible offense I would be shocked. Of course this is all dependent on him beating out Hass, who is a better QB than Volek...
I suppose we'll see.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I have a better idea, draft a QB like many other successful new regimes have done lately.

Flacco, Ryan, Henne, Sanchez, Stafford, etc have all been drafted by new HC's and front offices in the past couple years...none of those teams were dumb enough to trade for a 3rd stringer with zero reg.season pass attempts and try and convince people he's their QB of the future.
You named zero options in this year's Draft. Great, so you can name QBs that were drafted by other teams in the past. The Seahawks can't go back in time and draft those guys.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Whitehurst probably will be nothing more than an expensive insurance policy. I doubt he sees the field much this year and if they are in a position to draft a superstar QB next year then they can decide if they want that player to sit behind Charlie for a year or they can cut Charlie outright.