Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats going to be the Seahawks
Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Whitehurst is special because he plays the most important position in the game and the Seahawks' starting QB is 34 and has missed many games in recent years. The Seahawks obviously like him better than this year's Draft options. Can you say with certainty that any one player is a better bet than Whitehurst? If so, who. The Seahawks have to get a QB who they feel can play when(not if) Hasselbeck gets hurt or just isn't starting quality. If you think there's a better option for the Seahawks, tell us who it is. Is taking Bradford or Clausen, assuming one of them is there, which is not close to guarenteed, a safer move? Tebow in the second? What's the better option?

People continue to bash the move, but can't make a better suggestion
there are 30 teams in the NFL if we don't count the Seahawks and the Chargers. Let's say half of those have 2 QBs on roster and half of those have 3. So that's a whopping 70 quarterbacks. let's say that teams do not trade their starters. 40. Now another 10 off for position battles and prospects and there you go. 30 possibilities guaranteed not to include Charlie Whitehurst.

Here I'll even give you a few names of quarterbacks who they could have gotten easier and probably cheaper: Dennis Dixon, Brodie Croyle, Colt Brennan, Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson, Chase Daniel, John D. Booty and Rhett Bomar. All those guys are as unknown entities as Whitehurst. Jeesh you want suggestions look at that.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol @ those suggestions. I could spend all night tearing those apart. At least Whitehurst has the tools to be a starting QB, unlike some of those guys on your list. And you don't know if the Seahawks could get them or what it would cost.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish they would have made that offer for Vick.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
lol @ those suggestions. I could spend all night tearing those apart. At least Whitehurst has the tools to be a starting QB, unlike some of those guys on your list. And you don't know if the Seahawks could get them or what it would cost.
lol @ your half-assed attempt to discredit my post. You said you could think of no suggestions so I just went off the top of my mind and named some young backups. Your reply is to mock the names which you can do, that's fine, and going on to say that Whitehurst has the tools of a starting QB, which is baffling to begin with since we've barely seen him play at all during his career so far. And I don't know what most of those guys would cost, true, but I can tell you if you negotiated properly most of those guys would be available for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Still pricey, but it's better than 3rd + second rounder swap for a guy who is just as unknown entity.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
how the hell do you explain your arguments to yourself? Your opinions don't add up with what you're saying. Seriously you're defending this guy being traded for a 20 pick second round swap and a third round pick and now you're actually admitting that it makes perfect sense that he can't beat Volek?

Hell a few posts ago you were telling me he does have NFL experience. For god's sake think your arguments through before throwing them onto the internet wrapped in nonsensical rhetoric. The stupidity you've succesfully implied so far is your own, and I do regret having to tell you that.
It makes absolutely perfect sense that he can't beat out Volek for the backup QB job on a great team.

That is an entirely different job than the one he is auditioning for in Seattle.

Hell a few posts ago you were telling me he does have NFL experience.

He does have more NFL experience than a fresh prospect. What I meant by that phrase was that he had no game experience which contributed to why Volek was always a better backup QB on that team. As far as value down the road - Whitehurst is far more valuable than Volek. As far as being a backup for the Chargers - it makes perfect sense to put Volek over CW and in no way shows anything about CW's potential and development into a potential NFL QB.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Volek is one of, if not the best, backup QBs in the league. Has been ever since Tennessee. One year McNair went down and Volek was fantastic. He has a playoff comeback win. The reason he isn't getting consideration is because he's 33 now, and he was stuck behind McNair in Tennessee and Rivers in SD. Volek isn't your run of the mill backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
there are 30 teams in the NFL if we don't count the Seahawks and the Chargers. Let's say half of those have 2 QBs on roster and half of those have 3. So that's a whopping 70 quarterbacks. let's say that teams do not trade their starters. 40. Now another 10 off for position battles and prospects and there you go. 30 possibilities guaranteed not to include Charlie Whitehurst.

Here I'll even give you a few names of quarterbacks who they could have gotten easier and probably cheaper: Dennis Dixon, Brodie Croyle, Colt Brennan, Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson, Chase Daniel, John D. Booty and Rhett Bomar. All those guys are as unknown entities as Whitehurst. Jeesh you want suggestions look at that.
Dennis Dixon looked pretty decent in his one start before his ugly interception in overtime, so I'd say he's proven more than Captain Beard.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post

Thats going to be the Seahawks
Crying or biting Pete Carroll's fingers?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A thread on Charlie Whitehurst that is 5+ pages who would have thunk it.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of the move....I'd rather take Clausen at 6 if he's available. However theres a good chance he wont be there.

Trying to look on the bright side....Any QB taken in the 2nd/3rd round is likely to sit on the bench for 3 years before getting his chance, if he gets a shot at all. This way at least we got a QB thats already spent his time on the bench and now he's ready to play....I guess...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 PM    (permalink
raiderchampion3
Rookie

raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3 raiderchampion3

This is a good move by the seahawks grooming a QB and drafting other needs.
raiderchampion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:38 AM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Dennis Dixon looked pretty decent in his one start before his ugly interception in overtime, so I'd say he's proven more than Captain Beard.
Doubt the Steelers are willing to trade him though, especially with the whole Roethlisberger situation.

Overall it seems like they gave up too much but I don't think it is as bad as people are making out. I have doubts about next years draft, what with the uncertain future around the CBA and the chance of a lockout I can see a lot of the juniors staying in school for the extra season. Essentially they traded the chance to take a Pike/LeFevour type with their 2nd/4th this year to pick up a QB they feel better about for a 3rd in what could be an iffy draft next year.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Byron Leftwich looked good playing backup for the Steelers. Dixon hasn't proven that much.

This seems like a reasonable move by the Seahawks to me. However, the Seahawks should still take Clausen or Bradford if one of them is available. Yeah, they have other needs blah, blah, blah. I don't give a gee golly gosh darned. QBs are too valuable and hard to find to pass up the chance to have 2 talented, young guys to try to groom. Will they miss a chance to take Locker next year? Maybe, but it's not like they will ever be guaranteed to get him.

Last edited by Halsey : 03-19-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Schaub had shown in some real games he was a viable starter, he had over 150 attempts and showed alot of poise when he was out there on the field, this is a complete gamble and it's almost the same price.
Now that's just unfair. The compensation isn;t even in the same ballpark as the Schaub trade.

Whitehurst = one 3rd rounder + swap 2nd rounders
Schaub = two 2nd rounders + swap first rounders
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:12 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Volek is one of, if not the best, backup QBs in the league. Has been ever since Tennessee. One year McNair went down and Volek was fantastic. He has a playoff comeback win. The reason he isn't getting consideration is because he's 33 now, and he was stuck behind McNair in Tennessee and Rivers in SD. Volek isn't your run of the mill backup.
Volek's a pimp. I remember he had some 400 yard games and stuff.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
I'm not dissing Volek here, all I'm saying is that for what Whitehurst was, a third string QB, the Chargers got away with highway robbery. If volek is that good why didn't the seahawks trade for him instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
thank you. I'm not saying he'll be better than CW, but hell he'll be cheaper. Or at least could be.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think all in all nobody can deny that
1) Nobody has seen Whitehurst play except for the preseason
2) His preseason career stats are as follows:
Comp: 57%
Yards: 1031
TD's: 5
INT's: 7

So as for being impressive from what the seahawks and I have seen... no.

3) He's tremendously overvalued, nobody can counter that with those stats, the Hawks could have signed a quarterback just as good to a deal.

4) Like several people have said, Pete Carroll must have youtubed the guy as if he was a high school prospect and seen a highlight tape of some of his pre-season touchdowns or something...

Anyways. the argument that Whitehurst showed anything special in the pre-season is moot at this point, especially with those mediocre, actually below average stats.

Seriously. Whoever comes and tells me that I'm being ignorant or whatever. I will laugh. And so will many people. You can't tell me that a 28 year old quarterback with those preaseason stats "is a starting quarterback" let alone a backup. And even if he is a backup, (99% chance he is) why are you paying up a 3rround pick and flopping your second?

It's just plain insane. And nobody can justify giving that much up for a backup. I don't even wanna hear this guy can start.

edit:

Who the **** cares that he was 3rd fiddle to Volek? He would have been an average to brutal second fiddle to Rivers. And at that assumption that he is 2nd string worthy.. once again... why the **** are you giving that much up for a guy who is unproven at BACKUP QUARTERBACK

I wouldn't give that much up for Billy Volek, would you?

Only way you do is if 1) you claim you would give up that much for a 34 year old quarterback, just so you don't look like an idiot because you've buried yourself in a hole with this argument

2) the other half may think he could MAYBE be a starter. You'd have to be desperate for a quarterback (still talking about B.V.), youd have to be an awful team. AKA the lions pre stafford. But guess what? The Seahawks already have a balding 34+ year old quarterback. But that's irrelevant since giving up that much for a 34 year old quarterback is pointless, you would just go thru the draft. So why give that much up for the unproven guy behind him?

IT'S CHARLIE WHITEHURST. END OF STORY.

I Win

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-19-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't give up that much for Charlie Whitehurst. Not a chance in hell.

But if Carroll is convinced that he can be a franchise QB, then its a really small price to pay to get a franchise QB.

Big risk. I doubt it pays off. Seahawks clearly didn't like Bradford or Clausen so they went with this option.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

future pro bowler, mark it down
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
future pro bowler, mark it down
why would he go bowling

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
why would he go bowling
because he is clearly a big bowling fan, why else would pete carroll bring him in, to be his bowling buddy, they call themselves the Seattle Storm
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
because he is clearly a big bowling fan, why else would pete carroll bring him in, to be his bowling buddy, they call themselves the Seattle Storm
that explains so much

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a few things I've noticed as trends through this thread.

1. Him not being able to beat out Billy Volek isn't really a knock on Whitehurst. Volek is probably one the best backup QBs in the NFL and has been for a long time. He's a proven veteran that has led teams for 3-5 games and continued winning (see Tenn) and has always put up good numbers whenever he did step in.
2. The deal was a swap of 2nds this year and a 3rd next year. The third next year equates to a 4th this year so that balances out to a 3rd in this years draft. A third round pick for a potential starting QB isn't much if you ask me. Its duly noted that he has no game experience but he has sat and learned from one of the top QB gurus in the NFL in Norv Turner and he's more NFL ready than anyone coming out of the draft.
3. The only reason the Cardinals signed Derrick Anderson is because Whitehurst informed them he was signing his tender with San Diego in order to be traded to Seattle. He preferred Seattle to Arizona and SD obliged. Arizona favored Whitehurst over Anderson and it was only after being informed by the Whitehurst camp that he was moving on to Seattle that they moved on with Anderson.

all that being said, this is definitely a puzzling move and I am surprised that two teams thought Charlie Whitehurst was worth a 3rd round pick but there is apparently something all of us fans are missing. This move will make Carroll look brilliant or stupid but at the end of the day the picks they traded away will not cripple the franchise and there is no reason to believe that this deal will make or break Carroll's success (or lack thereof) in his NFL return. The only thing i really took out of this is that perhaps Carroll isn't as high on Clausen as he was when he recruited him which makes me think if he isn't, who is?

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM    (permalink
TheMorningZoo
Rookie

TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMorningZoo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Charger fan here... I of course think we got the better end of the trade, but I don't think it is as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Seattle probably figures they would rather trade for a QB than draft one (and apparently they weren't high on Clausen / Bradford since they went this route), so they get a player in Whitehurst that has no wear and tear, has been in the league for 4 years, and has been learning from one of the better offensive minds in Norv Turner.

Now he has no experience, but neither do the Rookie QB's-but Whitehurst's four years on the Chargers are invaluable compared to Rooks.

We drafted him with a 3rd, they gave us a 3rd , but the swapping 2nd's made it icing on the cake !
TheMorningZoo is offline   Reply With Quote