Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
tylere0814

Thumbs down NFLdraftcountdown.com's mock draft

They have us taking Jamal Andersen at 7, Anthony Gonzalez in the 2nd, and a corner in the 3rd. Not a bad draft, however... my question to the Vikings fans around the world is, according to NFLdraftcountdown.com Adrian Petersen is going to Houston at #8. Wouldn't it be wise for Minnesota to add a playmaker to their offense? I understand we have Chester, but Mewelde Moore isn't excately my idea of a 1-2 punch. I think if we draft AD it will take a huge load off of Chester Taylor as well as whoever wins out the starting QB battle.

Having Taylor and Peterson in the backfield would make our offense much more dangerous.

Thoughts?

I know we need to upgrade at DE because Udeze was far from spectacular, but AD is a much better prospect than Jamal Anderson IMO
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First of all yall lost Smoot so a CB in the 3rd would be wise. Second Gonzalez is somewhat under the radar due to all the other WRs this year and doesnt get enough respect. Plus Anderson will dominate.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Last edited by neko4 : 03-15-2007 at 11:05 AM.
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
99 dunnihoo 12

Well the way it is looking the Vikes will not have a shot at CJ, Adams, or Quinn unless they trade up. So if they arent going to trade up and they stay at 7 I dont think I would mind them taking Anderson. He has potential and there isnt really anyone else that we would need that would be worth taking at #7 except maybe Landry. Everybody needs to remember that Erasmus will be coming back and with the 2 all-world tackles, Anderson will always be one on one outside, which I would hope any DE in the league would be able to get some pressure. James just stepping on the field is going to help the pass-rushing problems, with his abilities and with teams having to respect him. In the 2nd round if the Vikes take Gonzalez instead of Rice I am going to have a heart attack. Rice is the one that has #1 potential and the Vikings need someone that can evolve into a go to guy. In the 3rd round I think it would be wise to add another receiver. I think the best options would be Steve Smith or the TE from Delaware if he is available when we pick. I dont think CB is that big of a concern for us right now, especially since I think the Vikes are looking to add a veteran in FA.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I didn't perticularly care for our 3 picks. Has nothing to do with the players there..just think other guys would make so much more sense.

1st Round. DE....what we need here is a dominant pass rusher. The LB's and DT's...along with our secondary showed all last year that stopping the run wasn't a problem. The only thing that statistically was worse than our QB -TD production (We threw for 13 td's as a team last year) was our lack of pressure at DE (I believe we had 13 sacks from 5 different ends)
taking a DE who lacks that dynamic of being able to consistently get pressure on the QB to me would be a monumental waste. We already have 2 1st rounders locked up under contract and no matter how bad Udeze is , we shouldn't take an end whose "all around good" as described by Mr.Wright, but an end with incredible speed , hand technique, and pass rushing moves. Anthony Spencer in the 2nd would've made so much more sense. If Quinn / Russell / Thomas and Adams are all off the board at 7, we really should trade down... our pick more than any other seems like the no brainer. If those 4 are gone...here's my ideal scenario.
We could trade picks with Houston, they could give us Carr to do it...then they could solidify Peterson for themselves,...then we could trade down from 8 again to 10 so Atlanta could get Landry, trade down AGAIN
perhaps 14-16...just before Green Bay and pick up potentially 4-7 more players / picks. Then with our first pick we take Dwayne Bowe.
In the 2nd we'd most likely have a shot at either Charles Johnson or Anthony Spencer and in the 3rd (or late second) we take either Jason Hill or Craig Davis.

2nd Pick - As much as I think Gonzalez is a nice player, he lacks the ceiling that a Sidney Rice does. Gonzalez probably seems like a solid fit because of his hands...but he really does have trouble getting seperation against top competition (I say this based on his lack of production
against Michigan and Florida in the BCS game.)
http://ohiostatebuckeyes.cstv.com/sp.../teamstat.html
Rice on the other hand, over his last 4 games (as a sophomore) averaged
7 catches 80 yards and a TD.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=169717

Rice is younger, has a bigger ceiling and IMO they share the same floor.

In the 3rd ...Hughes is a really good value pick there. IMO he's an under rated CB whose last 2 years have been extremely good. He plays in the pac 10 so he gets a good deal of exposure on the west end of the country....so I highly doubt he would last til our 3rd pick.
If we were to somehow get him there though, I'd be very very pleased.

For the 3 picks Scott gave us...I'd say it deserves a C+ , he gave us
1st round talent (just not the type of player we desire) and 2 guys with
really good value...just think there could've been more done with our 3 picks though.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think we really need a cornerback on day 1. Maybe day 2, though. Or sign a cheaper vet to compete for nickelback.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Damien Hughes is not a 3rd round CB...more like early / mid 2nd. You could make an arguement that he might even be top 2nd...but if he's there in the 3rd we'd be fools to pass on him.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont mind Hughes in the slightest even with Edwards man love issues. The draft is solid yet unspectacular. You could argue that's what we need.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
football guy

I'm 100% convinced that the pick won't be a defensive end. Everyone seems to forget two important factors as they pick on Udeze. #1 Erasmus James had a season ending knee injury early in the season that took a huge part of the edge rush away. #2 We were a dominating run stopping team. Teams passed on us 30-40 times a game. Smoot was horrible and Griffith was a rookie.

The Vikings will trade up or down with this pick. Unless Thomas, Johnson, Peterson or Quinn slips to us. According to Mr. Wrights draft that means Minnesota will take Adrian Peterson. Every NFL franchise needs two dominating runningbacks. The Vikings wouldn't hesitate to take AP. We would never let Houston take Peterson after us....no way.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football guy
I'm 100% convinced that the pick won't be a defensive end. Everyone seems to forget two important factors as they pick on Udeze. #1 Erasmus James had a season ending knee injury early in the season that took a huge part of the edge rush away. #2 We were a dominating run stopping team. Teams passed on us 30-40 times a game. Smoot was horrible and Griffith was a rookie.

The Vikings will trade up or down with this pick. Unless Thomas, Johnson, Peterson or Quinn slips to us. According to Mr. Wrights draft that means Minnesota will take Adrian Peterson. Every NFL franchise needs two dominating runningbacks. The Vikings wouldn't hesitate to take AP. We would never let Houston take Peterson after us....no way.
we will pick a DE if Adams is there.... i love Erasmus James but in both of his first two seasons he has suffered season ending injuries, and Udeze good in the run situation but 1 sack(no solo sacks) for starting all 16 games is just unexcusable Adams would be insurance if James went down again and can come in on passing downs for udeze and light the QB up i think he would be an excellent pick... we dont need peterson like not at all unless childress has had it with C. Taylor we dont need Peterson, Childress doesnt believe in the Dual back system so you can throw us having two dominating RB's out the door we would have two but whats the point of having two if you dont use them? the texans can have AP theres good RB prospects coming out in the next few years. So if CJ, Gaines Adams, and Brady Quinn are all gone we should trade down and try to land Okoye, Patrick willis, or Dwayne bowe
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as for the mock draft its ok i wasnt in love with it but it would satisfy me... dont really like Jamal Anderson for us but i wouldnt be mad if childress picked him.

I still dont understand Passing on Sidney rice for Anthony gonzalez, i know gonzalez is more polished but hes just not a #1 guy IMO. Whereas Sidney Rice has the potential to develop into the True #1 guy we have been sorely lacking.

As for the Third round pick i wouldnt expect a CB on the first day but ifff Daymeion Hughes was stillllll on the board at our third rounder i would be Happy with the choice.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by football guy View Post
I'm 100% convinced that the pick won't be a defensive end.
Everyone seems to forget two important factors as they pick on Udeze.
#1 Erasmus James had a season ending knee injury early in the season that took a huge part of the edge rush away.
Kenechi Udeze has 1 sack over the last 2 years.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493098
He's offically horrible.

Erasmus James
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/413640
2006 - Knee injury , misses 14 games
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/james_erasmus
2004 - Ankle sprain misses 2 games.
2003 - Hip injury cost him entire year.
2002 - Sprained Knee , missed Michigan game.

He's an injury risk to say the lease...definately not someone that has shown an ability to remain healthy, therefor he's unreliable as a "definitive" starter.

Ray Edwards right now has more value than Udeze...however K.U. could
remain on the team for depth or be traded himself as a serviceable DE whose shown ability to stop the run. Otherwise we take a Gaines Adams (Round 1) or Anthony Spencer (Round 2) and we'll be alright at end.

Quote:
We were a dominating run stopping team . Teams passed on us 30-40 times a game Smoot was horrible and Griffin was a rookie.
We were a dominating run stopping team BECAUSE teams passed on us 40 times a game. They figured why do something hard (run) when passing was very very easy. Teams passed because A: we had no D-Line pressure. To get to the QB we had to blitz. B: Once we blitzed our zone D had more holes to pass in ...making passing even easier.

In order to fix the problem, you have to first figure out what exactly is broken. If we're going to try and implement the Tampa 2 (which I believe we will) then we need to get players in whose games allow us to play the D we want to play.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't understand how when he mentions Sidney Rice being too similar to "Troy 'The Bust' Williamson" we already assume Williamson is a bust. He's entering his 3rd year. His first year he caught 52 passes. I think its a little early to call him that and write him off already. I think Peterson is who the Vikings would take at #7. We have lacked a goalline back with Moe Williams departing and he definitely would relieve Chester Taylor from having 300+ carries. I'm betting the Vikings would take him over Anderson.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know the D-Line is struggling for pressure when you are relying on your tackles to get it.

I assume we are sticking with the cover 2 system that we ran last year, but I wouldnt mind seeing us make a move to a 3-4(though I'd have liked it even more if we still had Nap). Udeze would actually make a very solid 3-4 DE, Williams should also be great there and Pat has the size and run stuffing skills to play NT. This would change our draft greatly because it would completely kill the DE need, whilst creating LB needs, which in this draft would mean trading down and picking up a couple of picks would make even more sense. Something like Woodley and Spencer and it also should help Sharper out greatly because there is no doubt he struggled a lot last year.

I havent really heard whats happening with the defense but Im assuming we arent changing it, unfortunately. I still like Peterson in the first over any of the ends. He is a game changing back and we need that, we dont have a passing game and even with we take 2 WRs on the first day you cant expect instant results. I think we would be better suited getting the franchise back and taking someone like Rice in the 2nd and another guy in the 3rd or 4th.

If we dont take Peterson I want us to trade down to get Landry. He is a perfect fit for us and if we can pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder by moving down a few spots it would make it even better.

Hughes in the 3rd would be an outstanding pick. Other than Hall he is the best cover 2 CB in this draft imo and he could be devastating for us. I'd love to add him and Landry to our secondary, then all we would need is another safety next year and we have our secondary for the next decade(Winfield for another few years with Ced at nickel eventually taking over). Edwards makes for a pretty darn good 4th back and would certainly be good enough if we were to get hit by injuries.

I just dont like any of the first round DE's any more than some of the 2nd and 3rd round guys. Lets face it, Udeze is rock solid on running downs, we just need a legit edge rusher, I dont care how limited the run skills are. I wouldnt be against an undersized guy either, the Colts have shown they work in a cover 2 and we have probably the best run stopping CB in the league to boot.

I think we should look long and hard at guys like Brown and Blalock should they fall to us in the 2nd. O-Line help is still a big need.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
KWill93
Rookie

KWill93 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't mind the Hughes pick but Anderson over AP and Gonzo over Rice? I give that mock 4 thumbs down.

Sig by Ctmagic24
KWill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I was somewhat disapointed with this mock for many of the same reasons that have been stated previously. While I like the potential of Jamal Anderson I don't really feel he's the explosive true pass rusher we lack on the edge. Anderson is more of an all around end, and for most teams that would be great, but when you have two of the best DT's in the NFL clogging the middle you can get away with having a who may get cought to far up field in his pass rush every once in a while. If Adams is gone which I assume he will be then with Landry on the board I like his value at 7. AD should also get a good deal of consideration even with Chester being our current starter. In the second I also have a big problem with the idea of taking Gonzo over Rice. Rice is nothing like Williamson other than the fact that they attended the same college (under diffrent coaching). Rice has great size and hands, and I feel if he had stayed in school one more season he would be considered a top 10-15 player maybe even higher depending on how he preformed and who entered early. He's got more potential then any WR in this draft not named Calvin Johnson. In the 3rd I would prefer we look at something other than CB especially if we took Landry in the first, DE should still have some potential. Maybe we get lucky and a pass rushing end falls like Moses (doubtful though) or we look at players like Buster Davis and Brandon Siler, because I'm still not sure who will be playing ILB next season.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

no offense to scott wright, but thats a putrid draft and i would **** a brick then go to winter park and cram that brick that i **** down childress throat, make him **** it out, beat him down with it, then cram it down speilmans throat, make him **** it out and beat him down with it.

no way in HELL we pass on Adrian Peterson, you dont pass a talent like that to grab an overrated player at a NEED, no way we take Anderson over Peterson, Scott needs to check himself rather than hoping Peterson falls to Houston (he is a houston fan?)

Gonzalez is a terrible pick, the Vikings currently have 3 slot WR's on their team, they dont need to waste a 2nd round pick on a player who wont even be able to break the #3 WR position, especially on a team that has no WRs. Gonzalez sucks, and hell be crap in the NFL, im not a big fan of Sidney Rice but i believe Scott has us passing on him for Gonzalez, Id take Rice or Hill or even Davis or Gonzalez who is a 5th or 6th round WR at BEST.

Hughes would be a fine pick though, now that we didnt get Harper and we lost smoot, i like Devonte but hes nowhere near proven so you can rely on him just yet and no way to we want Whitaker at the nickel, so Hughes is easily our best pick in that putrid mock

Wright is from Minnesota isnt he? does he have some sort of hatred towards minnesota or something becuase it shows in that piece of **** mock he just posted
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
tylere0814

This years draft is obviously up in the air, and I hate the fact that we are picking in the top ten again! But unless our front office decides to improve this team we'll be there again next season. My draft board goes like this.. .Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Gaines Adams, Adrian Peterson, LaRon Landry.

One of those guys will be there at pick #7. I'd be thrilled to have ANYONE of those. Jamel Anderson is a solid DE prospect, but not what we need. Udeze has stunk, but still has the ABILITY to get it done but just hasnt. Ray Edwards played suprisingly well and will be able to step in in Erasmus goes down or Udeze stinks. So i dont see a hurry to drop another first rounder on a DE. I could however, see us drafting a DT. Because Big Pat is nearing the end of his career (maybe a year or two left) and it would be nice to grab someone like Branch or Okobi to step in as soon as Big Pat is done.

oh dear lord... please do not blow this draft
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scouts.inc was saying how Spielmen likes to trade during the draft thats what im most worried about having us trading back and drafting a WR like Ginn they had in the article. I like your Top 7 you have I'd take any of them as well but I really dont know if Russell would fit us but he is a top 5 pick. If we'd traded back i hope we draft Meachem or Bowe.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

actually dynasty, i think trading this year would be a great idea, which is why i like the fact that speilman is willing to trade picks....

the only reason to trade up would be for calvin johnson, so if johnson does slip to #3, spielman might pull the trigger, which would be absolutly phenominal.

trading down isnt a great idea either, but IMO if we trade down its to get Bowe, not Ginn...at least id hope....and if we trade down into the mid teens we would get another 2nd round pick, meaning we could even grab another WR in the 2nd day something like

Bowe
OG/DE
Hill
DE/OG

I think trading this year is our best option honestly
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I wouldn't mind trading down..but ONLY if the top 4 or 5 guys are off the big board. [CJ, Adams, Thomas, Landry and Quinn]
I think there are probably 3 teams that would be willing to "leapfrog" Houston to snab Peterson. If Those 4 are already off the board....we would be very wise to answer the phone. If possible to get a top tier
WR a RT (Staley perhaps) and a DE for moving down would do more good than harm. However you can add as many mid tier guys up and they'll never equal a premeir talent ....so , I agree with those who beleive that who we draft in round 1 is vital to the next 3 years or more.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
I wouldn't mind trading down..but ONLY if the top 4 or 5 guys are off the big board. [CJ, Adams, Thomas, Landry and Quinn]
I think there are probably 3 teams that would be willing to "leapfrog" Houston to snab Peterson. If Those 4 are already off the board....we would be very wise to answer the phone. If possible to get a top tier
WR a RT (Staley perhaps) and a DE for moving down would do more good than harm. However you can add as many mid tier guys up and they'll never equal a premeir talent ....so , I agree with those who beleive that who we draft in round 1 is vital to the next 3 years or more.
i think you have to listen to phone calls even if peterson and quinn are still on the board, those are the two guys that teams are going to want to move up for, teams like Carolina or Jacksonville might be interested in Quinn and Buffalo or Denver might be interesting in Peterson.

I would love to get another 2nd round pick, there is going to be so much talent in the 2nd round this year

OG - Blalock and Grubbs
DE - Alama-Francis, Abiamiri, Moss,
WR - Jarrett (maybe), Rice, Hill, Davis,

if peterson is off the board i trade down instantly for the best offer, it would be tougher if AP was available, he could be a game breaker, but we could maybe pull something off like our first and 4th for a teams whole first day so they can get AP...could happen

again, all trades are unlikely, but its always fun to speculate
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

To me the 2nd and 3rd round talents are going to be pretty similar.
I don't see Grubbs making it out of the first round.
Blalock/Moss/Jarrett/Rice will most likely be gone by our 2nd round pick and I don't see any of the teams that draft ahead of us being one of the teams that would trade up to get into our 7th spot...so to me, trading down for the sake of getting a 2nd 2nd or 3rd would be wasteful.

If we got another 1st to go with it then sure, make it...but trading into the #7 slot shouldn't be bargain shopping either.
I would just prefer to take the elite talent. You don't win S.B. with marginal players across the board. Eventually this team is going to have to get some star players for marketability as much as for giving us a better chance of winning.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do not want Jamaal Anderson.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
To me the 2nd and 3rd round talents are going to be pretty similar.
I don't see Grubbs making it out of the first round.
Blalock/Moss/Jarrett/Rice will most likely be gone by our 2nd round pick and I don't see any of the teams that draft ahead of us being one of the teams that would trade up to get into our 7th spot...so to me, trading down for the sake of getting a 2nd 2nd or 3rd would be wasteful.

If we got another 1st to go with it then sure, make it...but trading into the #7 slot shouldn't be bargain shopping either.
I would just prefer to take the elite talent. You don't win S.B. with marginal players across the board. Eventually this team is going to have to get some star players for marketability as much as for giving us a better chance of winning.

sooo, you are saying you can only get star players in the top 10? the rediculous there are many star 2nd and 3rd round picks not to mention you can get quality starters in those rounds and most of the time a team is made up of a few stars and a lot of quality starters (new england only has a couple of stars, indy only has a couple of stars...hell their entire defense is made of quality starters...)

if we got another 2nd round pick and even a 3rd round pick and we ended up with 5 first day picks, id be all for that, we can get 5 top talent prospects with that at our area of need.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
tylere0814

True it is POSSIBLE to snag a exellent player in the later rounds, however Minnesotas front office hasn't been able to do that. Which is why trading down scares me, we can get a solid player in the top 7 (as mentioned above) so i say we stay put and take a player that will be able to come in and contribute right away. Our defense has lost some players, but the players that we lost is almost an addition by subtraction. I was thrilled when we signed Smoot, but the douche bag hasn't done a damn thing, Nap Harris was another solid addition that did absolutely nothing. So basically we traded Moss for Williamson, great move Vikes..!

Quinn would be able to start right away, Peterson would be a fantastic change of pace from Chester, Landry would be able to step in and play along side Sharper as of day 1.

We have alot riding on this draft (just like every year) but if we have yet to improve this offseason, if the front office doesn't step up we are left with a mediocre team in an improving Division. Packers are looking solid, Detroit is making a lot of moves to improve, and the Bears are clearly the favorite.

I hate to say it, but as of now we are doing the least to improve... and if we dont do anything to improve it's gonna be a rough season.