Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.
Default Jones Staying Put

Cowboys not pursuing Jones trade

Owner/GM says he likes idea of keeping backfield the way it is

12:02 AM CDT on Thursday, March 15, 2007

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING Julius Jones is not on the trading block, according to Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

With running backs such as Willis McGahee (Buffalo to Baltimore) and Thomas Jones (Chicago to the New York Jets) traded so far in the off-season, Julius Jones' name has been mentioned as the next possible ball carrier to be dealt.

"I don't see that happening," Jerry Jones said. "We have got a team that's going to need some great plays from that position, and I like what we've done there with [Marion] Barber.

"More than likely, unless we have an opportunity in the draft to do something, we'll be going with the running back group we ended the season with. Hopefully we can have [Tyson] Thompson there that could give us a third back."

Jerry Jones declined to say if a team has contacted the Cowboys seeking Julius Jones.

Jones, who is entering the last year of his contract, is coming off his first 1,000-yard season (1,084 yards). In 35 career starts, he is averaging 81.8 yards rushing per game, and he owns two of the top four rushing games in team history.

With Jones and Barber, who scored a team-high 16 touchdowns last season, the general manager believes he has a tandem worth keeping together.

"There is an advantage if you can have one back do it," Jones said, "but it's probably not realistic anymore. Emmitt [Smith] was an exception."

No more free-agent splurges: The Cowboys have made one giant splash in the free-agent market by handing Leonard Davis a $16 million signing bonus, and Jones said it's not likely the team will make a second such splash.

"I don't think we're done in free agency, but we would be done if we don't see an opportunity of value to improve our team," Jones said. "I don't see us at this juncture doing a pretty significant contract, but I wouldn't want to preclude it either because you've got movement and you've got teams making decisions and waiving players."

Jones said the offensive line is in better shape than it has been in 10 years and he is comfortable with the free safety position. He is counting on the draft more than free agency to help fill some needs for depth at linebacker and defensive line.

New stadium Built Ford Tough: When the Cowboys move into their new stadium in 2009, Ford will not be part of the naming rights, but the motor company will have a significant role in the new facility.

The Cowboys and Ford on Wednesday announced a 10-year extension on a sponsorship deal through 2018 that includes stadium signage, as well as a title sponsor for training camp (Built Ford Tough Dallas Cowboys Training Camp) and a Texas high school football player of the week award. Jones said coach Wade Phillips will be a presenter at a season-ending banquet for the award winners.

QB on the draft wish list? Only once since 1991 have the Cowboys drafted a quarterback (Quincy Carter, 2001), but the club could choose one this year, although not in the first or second round.

"We know it takes some years to get them ready to play for the most part, and I think it's a good way to go if we get the opportunity," Jones said. "I wouldn't be drafting a player because I'm looking in a different direction other than [Tony] Romo. I'm not doing that. We're talking about someone we can bring along and have as some long-term future."

Briefly: Jones said he expects Terrell Owens, recovering from a second surgery on his right ring finger, to be back for parts of the team's off-season conditioning program, which begins March 26.

Jones said the team has not made a decision on whether to match Tennessee's offer to restricted free-agent linebacker Ryan Fowler, but one could come before Monday's deadline. Fowler signed a four-year offer sheet worth $11.5 million from the Titans that will pay him $5 million this season.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/...e.3857a24.html
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think if they are offered a good deal, they will take it. Jerry's just saying what he needs to.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

It will take a very good deal to get it done. Thank you Jerry for disspelling more of Jean-Jacques Taylor's rumor mongering.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I still think if they are offered a good deal, they will take it. Jerry's just saying what he needs to.
It would have to be a top 40 pick(and probably another based on production) for it to be valuable...
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Huh? There is no way in hell anyone would give you that for JJ. Actually, I might do it for a high 3rd only if the staff has confidence that T. Thompson can give you 10-12 quality carries a game. I personally think the tandem of MB3 & Tyson Thompson would probably give you the same production.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Huh? There is no way in hell anyone would give you that for JJ. Actually, I might do it for a high 3rd only if the staff has confidence that T. Thompson can give you 10-12 quality carries a game. I personally think the tandem of MB3 & Tyson Thompson would probably give you the same production.
"probably", "Could", "Might"... None of these are certainties... None of these have the history of it having happened already. In the NFL you cant assume a second year player is going to step in there and deliver 1000 yards(or if hes replacing Barber as the changeup player... 14 ******* TD's)...

Does anyone truly understand how good we had it last season? And you are willing to throw it away on the hope(or the misguided assumption) that Tyson Thompson is going to return and be better then Julius was???

As for JJ's worth. If we dont AT LEAST get a pick as high as we used to draft him after a 1000 yard season... We would be getting ass raped.
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thank god this rumor is put to sleep.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
"probably", "Could", "Might"... None of these are certainties... None of these have the history of it having happened already. In the NFL you cant assume a second year player is going to step in there and deliver 1000 yards(or if hes replacing Barber as the changeup player... 14 ******* TD's)...
True, but I think you put too much emphasis on a 1000 yard season. A 1000 yard season in the NFL is not nearly as big a deal as it used to be.

Quote:
Does anyone truly understand how good we had it last season? And you are willing to throw it away on the hope(or the misguided assumption) that Tyson Thompson is going to return and be better then Julius was???
Actually, I've been one on here defending JJ and the way he and Barber were used last season. I wouldn't give him up for nothing; I was letting you know that I don't believe there is any way in the world anyone in the NFL would give you anything close to a top 40 pick for JJ.

Quote:
As for JJ's worth. If we dont AT LEAST get a pick as high as we used to draft him after a 1000 yard season... We would be getting ass raped.
Well, you might get equal to his draft status, but that's a big might. And I don't think we would be getting raped if we took less than his draft position, especially if he walks at the end of the season.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
thank god this rumor is put to sleep.
When has jerry every told the truth?

I am still puting my money on Julius being traded during draft day.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
When has jerry every told the truth?

I am still puting my money on Julius being traded during draft day.
what you dont understand is that your word holds no weight. You've been wrong on so many different occasions and you've flip flopped your stance so many times that no one cares at all to read what you have to say.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote