Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I understand there's some concern about sending away a potential franchise LT but if you look at this strictly from a draft pick economy standpoint, it's pretty brilliant. A couple years ago they invested a fifth rounder in the supplemental draft and now are looking at a premium pick in return. You could justify trading him on that value alone, let alone the fact that they have Oher in the mix.
I see what you're saying, but if you look at it that way, then the Cowboys should be happy with a second round pick for Tony Romo cause he was an UDFA?

You can't look at it that way, as of right now, Gaither is worth a lot in the open market, so either you keep him and let him be your LT for the next ten years, or you get premium value for him. A second round pick isn't premium value in my eyes.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Gaither is good but Oher is better, also Oneil Cousins looked great in 2 games at RT(yes they were against Lions and Bears) but then got mollywooped against Pitt. Maybe there theory is we can save $ by shipping out Gaither and having Oher and Cousins be our T combo.

I am not a fan of this at all I hope we make sure Gaither and Oher are Ravens for life.
No, just no. Cousins didn't look good, let alone great, in any aspect when he started.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are some negatives on Gaither's play or just about him in general
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
What are some negatives on Gaither's play or just about him in general
He plays a bit high and he doesn't get a great push in the run game.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id love to grab him with the saints second rounder, and my saints dont even need another tackle, but that deal would just be to sweet to pass up on

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Id love to grab him with the saints second rounder, and my saints dont even need another tackle, but that deal would just be to sweet to pass up on
Too bad that's not even close to what the Ravens would be willing to take.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lions also could make this trade to protect their 70 million dollar QB, but then that will mean they draft Suh.

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
He plays a bit high and he doesn't get a great push in the run game.
I thought he was a lot better in the run game this year.

I think his biggest flaw is his work ethic and the mental aspect of his game.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
I thought he was a lot better in the run game this year.

I think his biggest flaw is his work ethic and the mental aspect of his game.
When compared to Oher, its night and day in the run game. He's 6'9 so he's going to play tall but he doesn't do a good enough job at consistently getting leverage in the run game. He's not bad and he is a good positional blocker but like I said before, I don't feel he gets a very good push in the run game.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's all about the contract. The Ravens aren't going to resign him next year. So they have to choose between a year of Gaither or a high draft pick. Not a tough choice since they have Oher.

I also have a hunch that he's been a less than model employee, although it hasn't seemed to show up on the field.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns and Ravens should trade, I'd give up our high second round pick for Gaither, it would help out both parties for sure.

We need a RT so bad.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never heard of Gaither having a bad work ethic, does anyone have a link saying that? I mean IDK if he is as intense or works as hard as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed but not many players do.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I have never heard of Gaither having a bad work ethic, does anyone have a link saying that? I mean IDK if he is as intense or works as hard as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed but not many players do.
I think what most people are referring to is that he missed the first week of the voluntary off-season program (he was actually working out and rehabbing in Florida). He also had somewhat of a "lazy" reputation coming out of college as well, but there hasn't been anything I've seen since he joined the Ravens.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Ravens value a 2nd rounder more than a starting offensive tackle, wouldn't that be a red flag? You'd think they know him rather well, yes?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If the Ravens value a 2nd rounder more than a starting offensive tackle, wouldn't that be a red flag? You'd think they know him rather well, yes?
Sometimes you just cannot afford to keep a guy around. You have to put 53 guys on the field and you can't afford to pay them all like they're the best player ever. If Gaithers is looking to get paid, it means the Ravens are trying to stay one step ahead and get some value out of him.

Furthermore, you can't always pass up on a guy just because he's a red flag. Whatever his problems are, injury / behavior or whatever, I'm sure there is a team that is willing to take a risk on a guy who has proven he can be something in this league.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-I-P View Post
Lions also could make this trade to protect their 70 million dollar QB, but then that will mean they draft Suh.
If I were Mayhew I'd be dangling that 34th overall pick to the Ravens for Gaither. The Lions will be deciding between Okung or their pick of stud DT at #2. Why not draft Suh at #2, trade for Gaither at #34 and take BPA in the 3rd (RB or CB?). It makes too much sense. You could move Backus to RT or LG too and strengthen another position. The only downside I can see for Gaither at #34 would be financial (Gaither would be expensive to sign long term) but the Lions have shown already this offseason they are prepared to trade picks for veteran players (C.Williams and C.Houston) and Gaither is still only 24 with 3 years of vital experience.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
If I were Mayhew I'd be dangling that 34th overall pick to the Ravens for Gaither. The Lions will be deciding between Okung or their pick of stud DT at #2. Why not draft Suh at #2, trade for Gaither at #34 and take BPA in the 3rd (RB or CB?). It makes too much sense. You could move Backus to RT or LG too and strengthen another position. The only downside I can see for Gaither at #34 would be financial (Gaither would be expensive to sign long term) but the Lions have shown already this offseason they are prepared to trade picks for veteran players (C.Williams and C.Houston) and Gaither is still only 24 with 3 years of vital experience.
yeah, if the Lion's offered a 2nd and a 4th or 5th. The Raven's would probably pull the trigger, but when it's all said and done, I don't see Gaither playing for any other team but the Ravens.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Gaither will not get traded.
End of story.
It's annoying rumors like these that piss me off
Baltimores coaching staff is too smart to trade away their star LT for a 2nd round draft pick.
It's not going to happen. 0% chance.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
End of story.
Baltimores coaching staff is too smart to trade away their star LT for a 2nd round draft pick.
Well your wrong. He may indeed not get traded, maybe it is all just rumors, but there isn't a 0% chance it happens. Why did he get tendered with a 1st round pick instead of a 1st and 3rd? Why hasn't the coaching staff came out a long time ago and said "Gaither isn't going anywhere, he's apart of this team for the long run and I don't know where these rumors came from"?

So blame your organization for that one. If you honestly think rumors about him being traded can be this loud and nobody has acknowledged them yet then there shopping him behind closed doors. Maybe they don't get the deal they want, but your being naive if you think it's a 0% chance.

I don't think it'll be for a 2nd either, but a mid to late 1st could spark up talks. The entire team knows there are rumors of him being traded though. Someone started a rumor about MBIII being on the block yesterday and JJ addressed it the very same day that it was false, that's the way it goes. I don't think you can deny that the Ravens are at least going to listen to offers for him, that's pretty obvious at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
LOL, come on now, a late 2nd which is basically an early 3rd? Not even close to happening.

I can think of 4-5 teams who would gladly give up a 1st for him, Dallas and Indy come to mind right now, I know there are a few more. Maybe it'll be a draft day trade, but if it's an early 2nd it'll probably be something else thrown in. If it's not in the top 40 your probably going to have to give up another high round pick next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Gaither may be slightly overrated by Ravens fans and NFLDC posters in general. I'm not saying he's not an above average starter because he's definitely in the upper half of starting LT's, but he is not a pro bowl caliber OT, at least not yet. Firstly is the mental errors. He is a false start machine. Also comes in consistency. At times he can dominate elite level DE's, then at times can get worked by technically sound pass rushers. Secondly although his size would have you to believe that he could play RT, he really is restricted to being a LT, as his career at Maryland is proof of that. I do believe that the Ravens would prefer Oher on the left side with how smooth he looked when he had to play there, but they had to make the decision that the team was better off with Oher at RT since he could handle it, although I think it does restrict Oher's talent not always being matched up against the best pass rushers. Personally I'd give up a mid-late first rounder in a heart beat for him purely on tools and potential, but it wouldn't be out of the realm to see him get moved for a 2nd rounder if you consider the big money due to him at the end of the season, as well as the tiny injury history and consistency issues. With that said if I were the Skins I'd give up our 2nd at the top of the round in a heartbeat freeing us up to take Berry or if one of the DT's drops. Lol we'd have a Terps reunion with Gaither on the left and Heyer on the right. Oh and Eddie Williams will get playing time at Guard and Center, lol.

Quote:
End of story.
The fact that he was only given a first round tender and not a first and third like so many lesser players got, shows you that the organization is not set on keeping him. I mean the Ravens gave two guys who should be cut in Mark Clayton and Marshall Yanda 2nd round tenders, so by only giving a supposed "Franchise LT" only a first round tender shows me that they aren't afraid to pull the trigger if they can find reasonable compensation. They might get hurt a little but the Ravens O-line will survive. There are still too many holes in the secondary and DE position that need to be addressed and the Boldin trade has hurt that some. Getting an extra pick helps you fill a bigger need and even afford a luxury pick like a TE maybe Gresham. Losing Gaither would not affect the running game much if any which is the base of the offense. Also I wouldn't worry about Flacco's blind side(no pun intended) with Oher sliding to LT. This is a move the organization has to consider as Oher has LT skills and that's a lot of money to give to a RT especially if you end up paying Gaither what he likely will get.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP : 03-31-2010 at 09:43 AM.
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Jared Gaither may be slightly overrated by Ravens fans and NFLDC posters in general. I'm not saying he's not an above average starter because he's definitely in the upper half of starting LT's, but he is not a pro bowl caliber OT, at least not yet. Firstly is the mental errors. He is a false start machine. Also comes in consistency. At times he can dominate elite level DE's, then at times can get worked by technically sound pass rushers. Secondly although his size would have you to believe that he could play RT, he really is restricted to being a LT, as his career at Maryland is proof of that. I do believe that the Ravens would prefer Oher on the left side with how smooth he looked when he had to play there, but they had to make the decision that the team was better off with Oher at RT since he could handle it, although I think it does restrict Oher's talent not always being matched up against the best pass rushers. Personally I'd give up a mid-late first rounder in a heart beat for him purely on tools and potential, but it wouldn't be out of the realm to see him get moved for a 2nd rounder if you consider the big money due to him at the end of the season, as well as the tiny injury history and consistency issues. With that said if I were the Skins I'd give up our 2nd at the top of the round in a heartbeat freeing us up to take Berry or if one of the DT's drops. Lol we'd have a Terps reunion with Gaither on the left and Heyer on the right. Oh and Eddie Williams will get playing time at Guard and Center, lol.

The fact that he was only given a first round tender and not a first and third like so many lesser players got, shows you that the organization is not set on keeping him. I mean the Ravens gave two guys who should be cut in Mark Clayton and Marshall Yanda 2nd round tenders, so by only giving a supposed "Franchise LT" only a first round tender shows me that they aren't afraid to pull the trigger if they can find reasonable compensation.
I just got owned by that post, and I didn't even have to say anything.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post

The fact that he was only given a first round tender and not a first and third like so many lesser players got, shows you that the organization is not set on keeping him. I mean the Ravens gave two guys who should be cut in Mark Clayton and Marshall Yanda 2nd round tenders, so by only giving a supposed "Franchise LT" only a first round tender shows me that they aren't afraid to pull the trigger if they can find reasonable compensation. They might get hurt a little but the Ravens O-line will survive. There are still too many holes in the secondary and DE position that need to be addressed and the Boldin trade has hurt that some. Getting an extra pick helps you fill a bigger need and even afford a luxury pick like a TE maybe Gresham. Losing Gaither would not affect the running game much if any which is the base of the offense. Also I wouldn't worry about Flacco's blind side(no pun intended) with Oher sliding to LT. This is a move the organization has to consider as Oher has LT skills and that's a lot of money to give to a RT especially if you end up paying Gaither what he likely will get.
I agree that Gaither isn't at the level that most are saying he is at now, but what do you have against Marshal Yanda? The dude is one of our best lineman (if not the best). Mark Clayton should get the boot, but Yanda should be a Raven for his career (at guard, at tackle he's completely average and not that good). If you don't think he's any good, I have to seriously question your ability to evaluate players. Seriously.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed.
Yanda is such a beast.
He's a guard though.
Coach Harbaugh won't mess with the offensive line chemistry that we got in Baltimore.
Offensive line is the #1 important need for a football team & right now the Ravens have 1 of the best in the game.
Trading away a young player who is still getting better (Gaither) would be a horrible decision.
And the Ravens don't make horrible decisions.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Agreed.
Yanda is such a beast.
He's a guard though.
Coach Harbaugh won't mess with the offensive line chemistry that we got in Baltimore.
Offensive line is the #1 important need for a football team & right now the Ravens have 1 of the best in the game.
Trading away a young player who is still getting better (Gaither) would be a horrible decision.
And the Ravens don't make horrible decisions.
ERU would like a word with you :D
Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
ERU would like a word with you :D
Lol, it's what I thought of too. Every team makes bad decisions. We let Stover walk last season and replaced him with Hauschka and then Cundiff (:(). The Ravens certainly aren't without their flaws in the front office/decision making department.