Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who wins
2003 Pats 9 29.03%
2000 Ravens 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2000's SB Playoff CHAMPIONSHIP '00 Ravens vs '03 Pats

Since this is the Championship things will be done a lil differently.

1 point per vote
3 points for a general posted argument
4 points for a great argument
5 points for a post that breaks down matchups

Welcome to Jerry Land for the epic 2000's SB winning team championship game.

The 2000 Ravens rode that epic defense to beat beat 3 teams including the 06 Colts, the 04 Pats, and the 05 Steelers ? Here are the starting lineups.

Baltimore Position
OFFENSE
Qadry Ismail WR
Jonathan Ogden LT
Edwin Mulitalo LG
Jeff Mitchell C
Mike Flynn RG
Harry Swayne RT
Shannon Sharpe TE
Brandon Stokley WR
Trent Dilfer QB
Jamal Lewis RB
Sam Gash FB

DEFENSE
Rob Burnett LE
Sam Adams LDT
Tony Siragusa RDT
Michael McCrary RE
Peter Boulware LOLB
Ray Lewis MLB
Jamie Sharper ROLB
Duane Starks LCB
Chris McAlister RCB
Kim Herring SS
Rod Woodson FS

head coach Brian Billick
OC Matt Cavanaugh
DC Marvin Lewis

The 2003 are a more balanced team who beat the 2002 Bucs, and the 2001 Pats to get here today.

2003 New England
OFFENSE
WR Deion Branch
LT Matt Light
LG Russ Hochstein
C Dan Koppen
RG Joe Andruzzi
RT Tom Ashworth
TE Daniel Graham
WR Troy Brown
QB Tom Brady
RB Antowain Smith
FB Larry Centers
DEFENSE
LE Bobby Hamilton
NT Ted Washington
RE Richard Seymour
LOLB Willie McGinest
LILB Tedy Bruschi
RILB Roman Phifer
ROLB Mike Vrabel
LCB Ty Law
RCB Tyrone Poole
SS Rodney Harrison
FS Eugene Wilson

Head Coach Bill Belicheck
OC : Charlie Weiss
DC: Romeo Crenel

I'd like some good discussion going on here and LETS GET IT ON!

THIS WHY WE AMERICAN FOOTBALL

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously no discussion?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly think that the Pats would win this one most of the time. I think that that Ravens team is getting a little overrated at this point. I still voted Ravens because Im a homer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:34 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I like Tom Brady, I cant really see that offense doing a whole lot of damage against that Ravens defense. I mean...Deion Branch and Troy Brown? Not exactly terrifying offensive weapons, particularly against one of the most impressive defensive units of all time. Smith had his moments in his heydey, but I really wouldnt expect any production from him in this game with Ray in his prime and that defensive line letting him roam absolutely free.

The Patriots defense was great as well, and though they were a little aged, they were at the top of their game at this point. However, the Ravens did have a really strong running game and I personally think their offensive weapons might even be better then the Pats in this game. Clearly Dilfer isnt Brady, but he was one of those QBs who wasnt going to lose you a game, and I wouldnt expect this to be any different.

Nice matchup, but Ive gotta say the Ravens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 PM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just got done watching all four of the Ravens playoff games that year.

No one was going to score on that team. Every unit down to special teams had swagger. They would get one or two big plays a game out of the offense and that was all they needed.
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

BuMP.............................

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 03 Patriots were a solid team but they needed a last second field goal to beat a solid, though unspectacular, Carolina team. The Ravens defense was one of the best all time. They proved they didn't need a great offense when their defense was able to swarm opposing QB's and create turnovers. If this game is played ten times, I see Baltimore winning eight of them.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
The 03 Patriots were a solid team but they needed a last second field goal to beat a solid, though unspectacular, Carolina team. The Ravens defense was one of the best all time. They proved they didn't need a great offense when their defense was able to swarm opposing QB's and create turnovers. If this game is played ten times, I see Baltimore winning eight of them.
I see Baltimore winning ten of them personally.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Wally03
Rookie

Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Wally03 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I think I might give the slight edge to the '03 Pats in this match-up though I could realistically see either team winning it.

In 2003 the Patriots offense wasn't exactly stellar, but Burnett and McCrary I believe could be limited in their impact by Ashworth and Light who both played well that season. While Siragusa and Adams were both immovable objects againt the run, the '03 Pats offense essentially relied on a good screen game to act as their running game IRC so I believe that limits the impact Adams and Siragusa would have. I know I forget myself when I think about watching the '00 Ravens but the real calling card of that defense was their ability to stop the rush which has somewhat of a limited in this game simply due to the fact the Patriots relied so little on running the ball.

In the battle between the Patriots defense and Ravens offense I lean heavily towards giving an overwhelming edge to the Patriots because at the time Ted Washington was at the top of his game commanding a double team in the middle and Seymour and Hamilton were both more than decent ends in the 3-4 defense. Rodney Harrison was a play maker in the secondary (regardless of your personal feelings regarding him, I don't believe a person can deny he was once one of if not the best safety in the game) and Ty Law shut down receivers due to the fact the league allowed DBs to essentially mug WRs as long it was roughly within 5 yds. of the LOS. I just can't convince myself that the Ravens would be able to run the ball well enough to compensate for the zero faith I have in Dilfer being able to make those kind of plays that are required to win a major game against a good defense.

Comparing special teams I'll give the edge to the Ravens due to Jermaine Lewis and the fact nothing about the Pats STs really seems memorable to me outside of some Vinatieri FGs, which leads to believe it was basically average. Jermaine Lewis on the other hand in a lot of ways helped the Ravens win some games just by getting his team such an edge in the battle for field position.

I truly believe it would have been a fun game to see if it had been possible so as long you enjoyed a real defensive struggle. My guess at a final score would be something along the lines of 9-6 with both offenses putting some truly ugly numbers by Super Bowl standards due to outstanding defenses. I know it is overly cliche to say, but I really can't get over a gut feeling that I have faith that Tom Brady and the Pats offense would be able to muster a little more offense vs. the Ravens defense than the Ravens offense would have been able to vs. the '03 Pats defense.

Last edited by Wally03 : 04-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Wally03 is offline   Reply With Quote