Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Thumbs up Merlin's Tampa Mock.

1 - CJ (Quinn, Okoye)

2a - Lawrence Timmons - I think their is an outside chance of him being available here, he's obviously a great athelete, but being only a 1 year starter may see him slide? (Ryan Kalil, Joe Staley)

2b - Tim Crowder - I would much prefer Crowder to Victor Abiamiri, (who was highly touted coming out of HS) IMO, he has never really full-filled his potential. (UT - Brandon Mebane, Eric Weddle)

3 - Antwan Barnes - If Timmons is gone, I believe this guy could be the steal of the draft, a fantastic athelete, at the combine Barnes ran a super fast 4.46 forty, (at 240 pounds) he then recorded 31 reps at 225 pouinds on the bench...he then topped it off with a solid workout displaying quick feet, balance and explosiveness....His 10 yd time was an outstanding 1.50 and a 35" vertical and 10-2" broad jump was also impressive...He played both the OLB and DE positions at FIU, he may be a work in progress, but he could be worth the wait. (C/OG - Samson Satele, S - John Wendling)

4 - Samson Satele - Not sure if he'll be here this late, but if Kalil falls through, Satele would be a fantastic pick-up, a very versatile Centre, who can also play Guard, a lock to replace Mahan. (ILB/OLB - Zak DeOssie, WR - Mike Walker)

5 - Zak DeOssie - 6-4 250...One of the pleasant surprises of the combine, DeOssie ran a great forty time (4.64) for a 250 pound backer and recorded 26 reps at 225 pounds on the bench...he also did a good job in the workouts displaying a good change of direction, Deossie has untapped potential IMO,
he played both Inside and Outside backer at Brown and has some Tampa 2 experience as well, since Brown played the Tampa 2 on third down situations.

7 - BPA?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some great picks there, Like Crowder, Barnes, Satele. I don't like the Timmons pick because we have Nece & Winborn at SLB and we have bigger needs or positions that need upgrading. A safety or DT there would work just fine. DeOssie would be good value in the 5th, but only if we don't sign a MLB this offseason.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Some great picks there, Like Crowder, Barnes, Satele. I don't like the Timmons pick because we have Nece & Winborn at SLB and we have bigger needs or positions that need upgrading. A safety or DT there would work just fine. DeOssie would be good value in the 5th, but only if we don't sign a MLB this offseason.
Cheers.

Part of the reason I went for Timmons is, I believe he'd be to hard to pass-up on, should he still be available?

I thought about a DT, but I'm not sure their is the value to be had at that point? (that would fit our scheme)

I agree with your point about DeOssie.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Hmm...it's only a rumour at this point, but I've heard Timmons had a very poor pro-day?

Ran a 4.6 and looked out of shape, if this is the case, it's very dissapointing, he could slide even further, what do we know about his character, other than his possible poor showing? (he's screwed my mock!!!)
Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Timmons will play WLB in the NFL....
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Hmm...it's only a rumour at this point, but I've heard Timmons had a very poor pro-day?

Ran a 4.6 and looked out of shape, if this is the case, it's very dissapointing, he could slide even further, what do we know about his character, other than his possible poor showing? (he's screwed my mock!!!)
I don't understand his problem as far as his combine and pro day workouts. I saw plenty of FSU games and he looked like a monster athletically. He was like a safety in a linebacker's body. I guess maybe it is just game speed, or he's not preparing well for his workouts. I think he will be a great player and his value is undeniable in the 2nd round, but I don't know how much oppurtunity he would have to play on our defense early on. He is definitely an instant-impact LB so it would be a shame to have to sit a guy like Timmons if we drafted him.

I would be okay with taking him in the 2nd, but Kalil or a FS (hopefully Meriweather) would be an ideal pick instead.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would love timmons, he would be the best case for our secnond rounder, better than the 2nd round safeties
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why 3 Linebackers?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Why 3 Linebackers?
Because Linebacker is the greatest position in all of sport.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Quote:
Why 3 Linebackers?
If you read my post closely, you'll see I've made allowances, it's not like I'm suggesting we pick all three?

However in the case of DeOssie, I think he is the BPA within the 5th rd.

In truth, after hearing about Timmons pro-day (rumour) I might be inclined to go for Staley or Kalil, (again with certain allowances to the rest of my mock)
Old 03-16-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think DeOssie will probably be gone earlier than the 5th but I am not that opposed to the pick. Despite the fact that he would rarely get a chance to start.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:10 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Quote:
I think DeOssie will probably be gone earlier than the 5th but I am not that opposed to the pick. Despite the fact that he would rarely get a chance to start.
Why's that?

Obviously not this season, he would be a work in progress, but he'd be their to compete and fight for his position just like everyone else, I'd love to see him on ST's.

Bare in mind, Cato June was originally a sixth-round draft selection (198th overall) by Indianapolis in the 2003 NFL Draft?

As for DeOssie going before the 5th rd, you could be right?

Last edited by Merlin : 03-17-2007 at 03:16 AM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:25 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

DeOssie is definitely more of an ILB type and that position is occupied by Ruud/Quarles

Old 03-17-2007, 04:40 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Question

Quote:
DeOssie is definitely more of an ILB type and that position is occupied by Ruud/Quarles
I think you'll find he played more OLB last season at Brown, though I could be wrong?, but he does have that versitility to do either, how old is Quarles?

Would you really be that set against the idea of signing him then?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:58 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I think you'll find he played more OLB last season at Brown, though I could be wrong?, but he does have that versitility to do either, how old is Quarles?

Would you really be that set against the idea of signing him then?
Would I be against signing him? No I wouldn't. However DeOssie is not your typical Cover 2 OLB and if he were to sign as an MLB he may be destined to be a backup/special teamer. He could possibly be able to play SLB but at 250lbs he might be a little big for out system.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Quote:
Would I be against signing him? No I wouldn't. However DeOssie is not your typical Cover 2 OLB and if he were to sign as an MLB he may be destined to be a backup/special teamer. He could possibly be able to play SLB but at 250lbs he might be a little big for out system.
I would like to see him compete at MLB, though I see no reason why he couldn't lose a few pounds and get down to a reasonable 240+ and play OLB, he'd be fine, e.g Briggs, Morris etc.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

DeOssie is not starter material in a Tampa 2. He doesn't have the quickness to be a good coverage LB, although his 40 time was pretty good. Tall MLBs struggle in the Cover 2 because they are not as fluid in coverage, although Urlacher is an exception.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-17-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Talking

Quote:
DeOssie is not starter material in a Tampa 2. He doesn't have the quickness to be a good coverage LB, although his 40 time was pretty good. Tall MLBs struggle in the Cover 2 because they are not as fluid in coverage, although Urlacher is an exception.
Don't get me wrong, their is no way on god's green earth that I am about to compare Urlacher and DeOssie...lols, but, at one time Joe Morris was too small to play in the NFL.

It also makes sense to think taller players would be less mobile/fluid, but the guy had a great combine, and IMO proved he has the ability to play at the next level.

I know we have June now, but I still believe this guy would be a great work in progress.

Having said all this, I doubt we'll even bloody pick him....lols!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

We won't bloody pick him because he is better suited for a base 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He is not the roaming coverage MLB that best fits the Tampa 2. He would be okay in our defense, but we won't pick him because we like Jon Beason types for our MLB. Then again, I could be wrong because I thought we would take Tatupu over Ruud.....

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-17-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Quote:
We won't bloody pick him because he is better suited for a base 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He is not the roaming coverage MLB that best fits the Tampa 2. He would be okay in our defense, but we won't pick him because we like Jon Beason types for our MLB. Then again, I could be wrong because I thought we would take Tatupu over Ruud.....
But we won't get Jon Beason in the 5th rd....lols

He did play a Tampa 2 scheme at Brown.