Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Packers Draft Reviews

One post per user.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st round, 23rd overall pick, Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga

Reaction :: Throughout the entire draft process there were the clear cut top four offensive tackles and by the time draft night rolled around it became an almost impossible thought that one of them would fall all the way to #23. Well, the situation played out to where one did, and it was a no-brainer that Thompson had to pull the trigger on taking him even with Dez Bryant and Kyle Wilson on the board. There are some question marks to whether or not Bulaga will be able to play on the left side, but at the very least we have one of our future tackles on the roster. I personally feel that he'll end up at right tackle in the long run because it became evident in his junior year that he may not have the lateral quickness to hold down pass rushers (see Brandon Graham and O'Brien Schofield). It's not the sexiest pick, but it was a necessary one and I have no problems with it.

2nd round, 56th overall, Purdue DT Mike Neal

Reaction :: I was at the Brewers/Cubs game when I got the text that Neal had been the pick, and I could do nothing to shake my head at it. I recognize that we have future question marks at the defensive end position given the legal troubles with Johnny Jolly and the expiring contract of Cullen Jenkins, but not only did we not need to address it this early but we didn't need to for Neal at this point either; I think he could've still been there in round three. With our glaring needs at offensive tackle, yes even with the selection of Bulaga, cornerback, safety, and outside linebacker, I feel we could have gone in several other directions to improve the team. Players like Charles Brown, Amari Spievey, and even our third round pick Morgan Burnett would have been better options at the pick. And if we wanted to go the defensive end route so bad then I would've preferred to see Alex Carrington at the pick. I think Neal does have the potential to replace Cullen Jenkins, but when he slides into the spot I think we see a bit of a drop-off in play, and that's not what I want to see out of our second round selection.

3rd round, 71st pick, Georgia Tech S Morgan Burnett

Reaction :: Considering that it's the third round and coming off the disgust with the Neal selection, I love the idea of bringing in Morgan Burnett. I think Thompson has finally identified a player at safety that can play alongside Nick Collins and provide some stability at the position. He's got playmaking ability and can support very well in the run game. The only problem is that he has a tendency to run hot and cold so when I looked at the top safeties in this draft I think he might have greatest range from floor to ceiling. There's a good chance we look back and see Burnett as the second best safety in this draft or we could look back and see that he's just the middle of the road type player, but I am satisfied that Thompson finally invested a somewhat high pick at the position. Burnett was probably my second favorite player taken by the Packers in this draft.

5th round, 154th pick, Penn State TE Andrew Quarless

Reaction :: For a fifth round pick the upside of Quarless is very enticing, but given his questionable work ethic and the fact that doesn't feel much of a need, I would've rather gone in a different direction with this selection. He could become a player comparable to Jermichael Finley, but all his years at Penn State were full of IFs and he never really met the expectations. This might change now that he's made it to the big show, but if he's not willing to put the work in then he'll get passed up in no time.

5th round, 169th pick, TCU OL Marshall Newhouse

Reaction :: I would've preferred another run at a tackle, but I recognize the it never hurts to have quality line depth and Newhouse should provide us with that. I don't see him as someone with starter potential in the future, but someone who can provide quality depth. Not for or against it really.

6th round, 193rd pick, Buffalo RB James Starks

Reaction :: One of my favorite Ted Thompson picks ever! If it had not been for a pectoral injury I think Starks could've heard his name called in round two, but thankfully he fell to us at this point. It may take a couple years, but I fully expect Starks to replace Ryan Grant. He's a threat as a pass catcher and is a good runner between the tackles. He reminds me of Matt Forte, and if the Packers get a player of that caliber out of this pick then it's a HUGE steal.

7th round, 230th pick, East Carolina DE CJ Wilson

Reaction :: I really like CJ Wilson as a prospect and was surprised to see him fall this far, but I'm not sure where he fits into the Packers' defense. Obviously end seems like the likely option because he's far too big to stand up at backer, but I don't know how effective he can be at end in the 3-4. If I were a team running a 4-3 defense and I needed a complete end then CJ Wilson would've been my guy. Hopefully the team can find a way to utilize his skill set because he does have enough talent to work with.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Last edited by princefielder28 : 04-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jackalope's 2010 Draft Review

Keep in mind that I wrote this for two very different audiences, so it's a little more informational than it needs to be.

Round 1, Pick #23

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
As many did, I had Bulaga pegged as Green Bay’s guy way back in January when draft season began. Unfortunately, Bulaga’s stock rose to a point where it looked certain that he was a top ten pick, probably to Washington, Seattle, or Buffalo. When Bulaga fell into the teens, I kept waiting hopefully for Green Bay to give up a pick and jump ahead for him. Somehow it wasn’t necessary, as Bulaga took one of the drafts more surprising falls. Last year’s line allowed possibly the league’s best young QB to be sacked a league worst 51 times last year. Clifton and Tauscher will turn 34 and 33 respectively before the start of the season, both with unreliable health. There looked to be nobody on the roster capable of filling the eventual hole at left tackle. This pick made too much sense. As was the case with Rodgers, Hawk, and Raji, when a pick is this obvious, Thompson makes it.

The question is why did Bulaga drop. Short arms have been one of the knocks on Bulaga, but 33¼ inches should be fine and shouldn’t ultimately affect his play . He also struggled against Michigan’s Brandon Graham (#13 to Philadelphia) and Wisconsin’s O’Brien Schofield (4th round to Arizona). From Bulaga’s own explanation, both these games can be at least partially chalked up to a thyroid issue he was returning from, which doesn’t appear to be a problem going forward. His performance against Derrick Morgan (#16 to Tennessee) in the Orange Bowl was reassuring, holding him in check. Bulaga’s pass blocking numbers from 2008 and 2009 are very nice, with only 3.5 sacks and 0 pressures allowed (23 games). Personally, I liked Bulaga better than both Trent Williams and Anthony Davis, two guys with more potential but also more question marks.

With the quarterback and all the offensive weapons to be an elite offense, the line was the only thing holding it back from the being best in the league last year. Clifton signed a two year deal this offseason and right tackle appears to be a battle between Tauscher and Lang, so it doesn’t appear that Bulaga will factor into the starting lineup at the beginning of the season, but he should still make an impact his rookie year. Clifton missed four games last season, in which Jared Allen picked up a season’s worth of sacks, quite possibly costing Green Bay the North. To expect Clifton to start a full sixteen game season is truly wishful thinking. Whether Bulaga takes over in 2011 (assuming there’s football to be played) will obviously depend on how the team feels about each player, but it’s my understanding that Clifton’s contract is structured in a way that releasing him would be no problem. Having only turned 21 in March, Bulaga should be able to man the left tackle spot for ten plus years if he’s able to stay healthy. With the combination of filling a need, great value, and simply looking like a Packer, it’s awfully hard not to like this pick.

Grade: A+

Round 2, Pick #56
Mike Neal, DE, Purdue
A lot of fans wanted us to find an outside linebacker to replace Brad Jones in the first or second (myself excluded). Looks like Green Bay went a different route to improve the pass rush. This could be saying something about Johnny Jolly’s legal situation or Cullen Jenkins contract situation, but my guess is that it’s just another example of “you can never have too many big men”. Neal seemed to be valued at about the fourth round, but plenty of players come of the board in round two at least a few rounds earlier than they’d been projected. The truth is that there’s no telling what other teams were planning on jumping on Neal after us. If the team fell in love with a guy and didn’t want to risk waiting on him, I’m not going to hold it too much against them. There is a lot to like about him. Neal recorded 5.5 sacks from the defensive tackle position in both his Junior and Senior years at Purdue and was commended as a guy who rarely left the game. At 6’3” 294 lbs, Neal has a terrific blend of power. Impressive weight room numbers and a 4.88 second 40 with a 1.70 10-yard split lead me to believe that this is a guy who is capable of providing pass rush from the end spot. The knocks on Neal appear to be issues with shedding blocks and durability issues, which include turf-toe and shoulder surgeries. My initial thought on this was reach at a position we didn’t really need to address, but the more I look at Neal the more I’m surprised that his value was as low as it was. There’s plenty of upside here. That said, I’m still disappointed we chose to bring in an end over a corner, our number two need. Neal will probably work his way into the rotation with his rookie year, with Jolly and Jenkins continuing to hold down the starting spots. With Raji being able to play all over the line, we have a lot of flexibility to rotate players everywhere. The run defense should benefit with guys being able to stay fresh. Very difficult to tell at this point how Jolly’s and Jenkins’ situations will play out, with both being in contract years. Both players deserve to be brought back with Jenkins having priority, but the addition of Neal may make that more difficult. There were far more appealing options at the spot, and I think a guy like Charles Brown would have added more to the team as well as have been better value.

Grade: C+

Round 3, Pick #71
Morgan Burnett, SS, Georgia Tech
Philadelphia receives #86 and #122
Green Bay receives #71
By the outdated trade value chart, Green Bay came got the better of the deal by 15 points (a late sixth round equivalent). I’d call the trade up uncharacteristic, but with Ted now moving up at some point in the draft a third straight year I really can’t. Burnett picked off 14 passes and broke up 19 more in only three years (28 starts) at Georgia Tech, so needless to say, the guy has good ball skills. The thought of pairing him in the secondary with Collins is exciting. Decent speed and a good frame (6’1½” 209) to provide something in the run game, Burnett was certainly a playmaker from the “rover spot”. The secondary needed a guy with good ball skills and reliable coverage. Burnett brings the ball skills and hopefully more reliable coverage than we’ve had. He’ll probably battle Atari for the starting job his rookie year and has the best chance of anyone to make an impact as a rookie. Both players have the big-hitting ability, with Burnett being the more reliable tackler. Burnett certainly looks like the more complete player, but we’ll have to wait and see whether he can pick up the defense and beat out Bigby as a rookie. Bigby missed five starts last season and ten starts in 2008, so regardless of whom actually wins the job in training camp, Burnett will should spend some time at strong safety in 2010. Keep in mind that Burnett also played some cornerback in college, so if injuries hit the secondary in the way that they did last year, Burnett has potential to be an option filling in. I really like the addition and expect Burnett to pay dividends early on his career. However, giving up a four did sting a little, and I have to take that into account giving the pick a grade.

Grade: A-

Round 5, Pick #154
Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State

After having to sit out of the fourth round and miss out on many potential corners Ted goes to the Big Ten for a third time in four picks. Quarless was the eleventh of twenty cornerbacks taken in the draft. The last time Thompson took a corner it was the seventh tightend selected in the 2008 draft, and you can’t help but to make comparisons. While I’m by no means saying Quarless will turn into the player JerMichael Finley has, who is Green Bay’s best offensive weapon and should clearly emerge as the one of the league’s best tightends this year, there are obvious similarities. Both are physically gifted receivers, with Quarless being about a half-inch shorter with a better 40 time, who aren’t going to earn their paychecks blocking. Finley, who declared for the draft as a redshirt sophomore, didn’t have quite as big of question marks as Quarless. Two underage drinking incidents, including a DUI, nearly cost Quarless his scholarship at Penn State and was a major reason for a player of his skill set being available in round five. Everything I’ve heard from Quarless and the Packers thus far has been positive though. He claims to not have had a drink since his DUI, recommitted to football, and been forthright about his mistakes. Quarless is by no means assured a roster spot, but with Havner having his own offseason issues and Donald Lee’s play dropping off dramatically last season, I would anticipate him making the team, with Havner being the odd man out. You have to love Quarless’ potential and I could see him becoming a poor man’s Finley. I’ll give the same grade I gave third round pick JerMichael in 2008.

Grade: B+

Round 5, pick #169 (compensatory)
Marshall Newhouse, OG, Texas Christian

While the line’s interior appears set now and for the future with Spitz/Wells/Sitton, no one is going to argue that adding depth there is a bad thing. Newhouse played left tackle all three years on a very successful TCU offense but projects to guard at the next level. He seems to be a typical Green Bay lineman, as the Packers prefer to add guys that can play all over the line. Newhouse moves well for his size and should fit well into the ZBS. He has potential to be a very serviceable backup at both guard spots and right tackle, but shouldn’t see the field much early on unless the line takes some serious hits.

Grade: B

Round 6, Pick #193
James Starks, RB, Buffalo

Starks is a guy with the tools and production to have gone a lot higher than the end of round six. Taking over the starting job as a redshirt-freshman, Starks ran for 3,140 yards (a Buffalo school record) in three years, as well as 34 rushing touchdowns. Shoulder surgery prior to his senior year caused him to miss an entire season of football. If Green Bay is getting the same runner that Starks was prior to the surgery, this looks like a steal. At 6’2”, Starks is two inches taller than any other back in the draft and ran a 4.5 40. Can break tackles and has a knack for staying on his feet. He may not necessarily be the speed back many wanted, but he seems more complete and is a capable receiver (127 career catches for 898 yards, 3 TDs). Starks didn’t put the ball on the ground once in 700 carries; wasn’t a returner in college, but may have the potential to do so in the NFL. Taking him in the sixth is a low-risk high-reward pick. If he is back and healthy, he should be able to make the team behind Grant and Jackson and is a better third back than Deshawn Wynn, who’d had that spot the last few years.

Grade: A

Round 7, Pick #230
CJ Wilson, DE, East Carolina

By round seven, Green Bay was well past the point of adding someone that could really add to the team as a rookie outside of depth. They found good value in Wilson, who was widely projected to go before the end of round seven. A four year starter with both productivity (27 sacks) and measurables, Wilson will have to compete at crowded end position. With Jenkins, Jolly, and Neal all assured a roster spot, as well as Raji being able to play the position, Wilson will have to battle with Harrell and Wynn in training camp for a roster spot. If Harrell finally stays healthy and shows potential this training camp, Wilson will probably find himself on the cut-down list, and possibly with a 4-3 team, where he may be a better fit. Otherwise, Wilson can be another serviceable body on the line.

Overall Analysis
Overall, I like this draft. Bulaga in the first practically made it a success alone; the talent we added afterwards being more icing on the cake. A top-shelf left tackle is hard to find, and I really feel like we were able to get one at #23. Everybody loves an instant impact rookie, which is going to be a reason people are low on this draft class. Burnett is probably the only guy with day-one starting potential. There wasn’t the “flash” a lot of people wanted. People seemed to want one rookie to push this team over the edge, but the truth is that’s not the position the team is in. This is a team that finished 11-5 despite awful line play and installing a completely new defense. We’re currently a team capable of competing for a Super Bowl, but we’re also extremely young. The team isn’t a position to be drafting for the present over the future, and there aren’t many spots on the roster that a rookie outside of the first round will step in right away. One position that people thought we needed an immediate upgrade at was outside linebacker. I have to disagree. While I would have liked to add a player for depth at some point, Brad Jones is a player that I really liked. Jones took over for Aaron Kampman during the final seven games and outperformed him as a pass rusher during that time. He also looked much more natural at the position and should be stronger against the run after an offseason in the weight room. Jones produced and showed potential as a rookie, and I would have really hated to see a guy like that not even get another season. I’m very comfortable going into next season with Jones. Getting killed by good passing attacks last year was a product of the secondary. Receivers were left wide open and which made Capers pull the blitzing more. The game in which Roethlisberger threw for 500 yards against our defense, the linebackers got to him five times, Brad Jones having two of those. With that said, a position that was largely ignored was corner. Burnett will add to the secondary and supply depth at corner, but the team didn’t take a true corner. That’s putting a lot of eggs in the baskets of Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, and Al Harris. After Harris went down last season, with what appeared to be his second career ending injury in two seasons, nobody was able to step up at nickel and downward. Harris is a fighter and will certainly try to come back, but it’s unlikely he’ll be able to play at the level he has in the past. Lee is a player that I really like, but hasn’t been able to stay health. Underwood has potential, but couldn’t beat out Jarrett Bush last year. If we suffer the same injuries to the position that we did last year, it could end up being the plight of the team.

Does this draft win us a Super Bowl this year? No, but rookies rarely do. What the draft does do is put us in much better position to deal with injuries for the upcoming season, and put helps us win one in the future. If the team does win a Super Bowl in 2010, and I’m convinced that it’s capable of doing so, it will be because of our past draft classes stepping up and getting the job done. Again, it’s not a flashy draft and might not become one of the teams defining classes, but I do think time will tell that this is a very talented class.

Grade A-

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1-Bryan Bulaga
Yeah, when the first round was halfway over and Bulaga was still on the clock, I told myself I wouldn't be upset if we traded up to get him. This pick represented value, need and BPA. If the Packers wanted to take a tackle capable of playing in 2010, they almost had to do it in the first round. And, with Clifton and Tauscher struggling to stay on the field in 2009, it's very probable that a tackle will be needed. Much like Aaron Rodgers in 2005, the value/need ratio was just too good to pass up. And, I like Bulaga. What's not to like. midwest guy. Big 10. Hard worker. Ideal size. This pick mostly just made itself. I was thrilled.

2-Mike Neal
Headscrather at first. But, sometimes, we need to take ourselves out of the perfect world where Cullen Jenkins never gets hurt and Johny Jolly doesn't get suspended. Our 3-4 defense will never consist of just 3 starting d-linemen. It works best as a rotation. And, as far as pure, reliable DEs...some depth was needed. Even if ya buy all that crap, it's still a boring pick. But, we saw what happened when Jenkins missed time a few years ago..and that was in the 4-3 time. This pick could save the season. As far as value...yeah, 2nd round seemed high for him. I think, on the superficial side of things, this draft would look better if we took Morgan Burnett here and Neal in the 3rd. :) And the real bummer of this pick is; I wonder if it would've happened if TT knew he could get a similarly rated player in the 7th round with CJ Wilson.

3-Morgan Burnett
This one, I like. Ball-hawking safety makes the defensive backfield much cleaner. And, I've always liked Atari Bigby. Still do. But, high powered offenses had their way against us, and another versatile coverage type was clearly needed. My initial instinct was that that upgrade should've happened at CB. But, that may be tied to my irrational love for Bigby. And, this is a good time to address the lack of CBs drafted. Yeah, I'm pretty shocked. This puts a lot of pressure on Al Harris to recover and Brandon Underwood to step up his game. Reminds me a lot of last year when we refused to get a major upgrade along the o-line. We can only hope the consequences aren't as severe. Because that has the potential to put TT under some heavy fire. Failing to address weaknesses two years in a row could really undo a lot of good that he's done.

5a-Anthony Quarless
The bizzare drama queen pick of the draft. Between the character issues, percieved lack of need at the position and strange twitter reaction from Finley and Rodgers, this pick caused way more excitement than your average late 5th round pick. But, just as my love for Bigby made me question the Burnett pick, my hatred for Donald Lee makes me like this pick. Havner is a role player. Finley is black Jesus in shoulder pads. Lee just drops lots of things. Yeah, Quarless is a gamble. And developemental if anything. And, yeah, he smoked some pot and drove drunk. But, if he helps get Donald Lee of the roster, I don't care if he strapped a bomb to a puppy and threw it into an orphanage.

5b-Marshall Newhouse
Seems like a standard issue Packer pick. Versatile guy. Questionable as to where he fits in short term and long term. Seems a little rounder than most Packer linemen. We'll see. I have a hard time getting excited about this one.

6-James Starks
I heard he's a good reciever. I'll believe it when I see it. Another guy I can't get excited about. Seems too little, too late for a RB move. Kinda looks like a taller Ryan Grant with a messed up knee.

7-CJ Wilson
Just when I start to like the Mike Neal pick, this happens. Again, if we picked this guy in the 2nd and Neal in the 7th, I'd feel better about it. Seems like the writing is on the wall for Harrell and Jarius Wynn.
6-James Starks
7-CJ Wilson

Last edited by drowe : 04-27-2010 at 09:34 PM.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Introduction: In this review I'm going to avoid the "what if" game as much as possible. Not going to downgrade a player because we passed on someone else for him. Not going to say we should have waited a round to draft a guy. Not going to take draft day trades into consideration, just the player and where he was picked.

Round 1, pick 23
Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
6'5", 314 lbs, Arm Length 33.25in, Hand Size 9.25in

Absolutely love the pick. Perfect fit for the Packers. Was he a top 10 value? I don't know. But I'm absolutely positive that we couldn't have asked for more at 23. Prototypical Green Bay lineman with good size, adequate arm length and hand size, and refined footwork. High effort guy that was very productive. Coming in from small town Iowa, he should fit right in and be happy with a career in Green Bay. Seems like the kind of player that won't let himself fail. Huge plus is that he played in a zone scheme with power elements at Iowa. We've had success with lineman like Bulaga who have been productive and cerebral players and failures with the opposite, athletic guys who need coaching. This pick makes us better year 1 because I don't see Clifton and Tauscher playing 4 quarters of 16 games (hopefully more) each. Now we have our LT to protect one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He has pro bowl potential and worst case he is a decent starting RT. Talent, value, need, fit all lined up for us on this pick.

Round 2, Pick 24 (56)
Mike Neal, DT, Purdue
6'3", 294 lbs, Arm Length 33.5in, Hand Size, 10.25in

Probably a bit of a reach here, but I love the player. Seems like a guy Trgovac, our DL coach, evaluated and lobbied hard for. If we waited until the 3rd round and he was gone by then, I would be upset knowing what I know now. I initially hated the pick but looking into the player and the team I have come around. He's a leader with a relentless motor who made his name on great strength and an ability to push the pocket. Should make a great 3-4 end. Improves our pass rush if he plays instead of Jolly, improves our 4th quarter defense with another player to rotate, and gives us insurance with contracts coming up, legal problems, and Jenkins' injury history. Love the way he fits in our 3-4. He'll give us better pass rush from the front 3 or take on a double team and free up the linebackers behind him. Might not get much playing time as a rookie though and we might have to let Jolly or Jenkins go.
Grade: B-

More coming soon.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In case you haven't seen my Half-Glass Full article, check it out.
I have drank/drunk/drinked some (A LOT) of the Lime & Lemon Kool-Aid the past few days, and am looking at everything now thru the green & gold tinted glasses.

I also want to bring something here that you don't already know, or haven't already read in any of the other dozens of reviews and grades you've all seen already. So without further ado, that attitude comes out here in my official Draft Review:

Round 1, Pick #23
Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

Was embarrassed against Michigan’s Brandon Graham and the Badgers O’Brien Schofield (4th round pick of Arizona). Bryan’s supporters chalked those games up to him returning tired and out of shape from a funny little thyroid issue he had. They say it shouldn’t be a problem going forward. To be honest, all I have heard about thyroid problems are some chicks ballooning up and chalking it up to a “thyroid problem” instead of the fact that they tend to eat pizza, ice cream, chocolate, and movie theater popcorn with extra butter on the top of it, while thinking their drinking Diet Coke should allow them to maintain their weight.
Back to Bulaga: I thought he was solid against Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan, and partly because of that, I lost a wager on Georgia Tech that bowl game. So I should be in love with the pick of Bulaga, but I’m not in love with the pick, although that might be because I really, really wanted Jerry Hughes. I do think B2 compares favorably to Mark Tauscher, and if he can duplicate Tausch’s career, it’s a good pick. Tauscher has been very underrated and under-appreciated for years both by the national press and local Packer fans.
And even though many pundits say he can’t play left tackle in the NFL, I think he might be able to. He might be a decent to solid LT, and he already is probably the 2nd best left tackle on the team and if Clifton goes down, I think we can be okay…. Unless he faces someone as good as Brandon Graham or Schofield again and isn’t feeling 100% that day.

Round 2, Pick #56
Mike Neal, DE, Purdue

Let’s be honest here: This was a pick that caused some curse words and things to be thrown by Packer fans when they first heard the pick. Badger fans didn’t even notice this guy’s ability, but let me tell you, he’s going to make us all forget that one bum’s name…. Justine or something like that.
Neal is a tad short for an ideal DE in Capers’s scheme, but that’s irrelevant considering the skills that Big Mike has. Big Mike has a variety of pass rush moves and could immediately bolster the Packers pathetic pass defense by getting some interior pressure and making QB’s uncomfy in the pocket. In other words, take away the pocket.
We think, including me, that the Packers could have had Big Mike later. However, it’s not a guarantee, and Ted sees enough in Big Mike that he didn’t want to risk it. Here’s some interesting info on Neal from this winter tour of players: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2278
Quote:
Mike Neal was possibly the most dominating defensive lineman during the week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game. He consistently beat offensive linemen off the ball and looked even quicker than he had at Purdue. He registered 2 tackles during the game, and because he can play in the 4-3 or 3-4, may have raised his stock into the late second round. Neal was again impressive during Senior Bowl week, showing his quickness off the ball during practices. He tallied 1 tackle and 0.5 tackles for loss during the game, and continues to be a late second or early third round prospect.
http://www.footballfanspot.com/mikenealscout.htm
They compare him to Darnell Dockett !
Also, if I still haven't convinced you (or myself) that the pick was not a reach, read this from before the draft: http://dallascowboystimes.com/2010/0...l-dtde-purdue/

Round 3, Pick #71
Morgan Burnett, SS, Georgia Tech

Burnett led the Rambling Wreck in interceptions as a true freshman in 2007. In 2008, MB also led the team with 7 picks, and led the team in tackles with 93. His junior year was not as good statistically, but he still had a bunch of picks and I thought he looked pretty good in the Gator Bowl against the Hawkeyes and Bulaga, even though they lost. That loss was mostly due to the terrible gimmick offense of GA Tech. Burnett is as good as some recent 1st round picked safeties, and he’s got the versatility to play either spot in Dom Capers defense, including covering WR’s straight up. He reminds me a lot of recent Jacksonville first round pick Reggie Nelson, except with a brain and more seasons of production. Same pretty dreadlocks though, which will fit in along side Bigby and Brother Al. And I think Tramon's have grown more too. Burnett eventually probably will send Bigby to the bench before the season is out Without the cost of this pick (Packers traded their 4th and 3rd for him, this pick would be an A. Due to the expensive price tag, I have to dock it 2 notches. However, Clay Matthews price was a little steep last year but when the guy pans out, no price was too high.

Round 5, Pick #154
Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State

Andy Quarless is a super talent with perfect size, who slipped this far because of his affinity to the bottle when he was just a young punk. He seemingly has matured and overcome the alcohol addiction, and passed Ted Thompson’s exotic polygraph character-assessment test, and TT might have himself a 6th round gem.
He put up decent numbers this year despite having a QB and offense that wasn’t very pass-friendly.
AQ caught the game-winning TD pass in the East-West Shrine game this January. Clutch player, looks to do that for the Packers in the NFL playoffs next January as he and J-Mike88 give McCarthy the lethal option of having 2 dangerous receiving tight ends. AQ is said to be a below-average blocker, but I'm not buying that. If I am right, Donald Lee will hit the road. If I am wrong and AQ can't block, then they might have to keep Donald Lee, and look for Spencer Duct Tape Havner to be cast away. They really want to keep Havner though. Anyway, I think Quarless will eventually become a contributor on offense and might be able to help the Packers enemic Special Teams because he's hungry and has the size & speed combo for it.

Round 5, pick #169 (compensatory)
Marshall Newhouse, OG, Texas Christian

Except for his deeper tan, Marshall Marshall Marshall Newhouse will fit right in on the Packers offensive line. He’s versatile, durable, intelligent, and rock solid. Newhouse has great football bloodlines, with a cousin who played on some Super Bowl teams with the Cowboys, and his pops John played in 3 Cotton Bowls back in the day for the University of Houston.
While he may not have the pure talent that last year’s late-round pick Jamomma Meredith had, Marshall actually has a heart, and a brain, and with that he has a good chance to succeed in the NFL. He was an All-Mountain West Conference honors three consecutive seasons, and is a double major at TCU. Strangely, his right hand is over a half-inch bigger than his left hand. Projects to guard for the Packers, but don’t totally close the book on his OT chances. I think he’s already a better pass-protector than 2 guys currently on the Packers roster at OT. His arms are 34-inches long, longer than Bulaga. Was not invited to the combine somehow.

Round 6, Pick #193
James Starks, RB, Buffalo

Solid 6th round pick who will make the team if Teddy & Mike decide to keep 3 RB’s active, which they will. Kreggy Lumpkin and Deshawn Wynn’s days are over.
Missed last season due to shoulder sugery, but in 2008, he racked up 1,333 yards rushing and found the end zone 17 times.
At 6’2”, Starks reminds some of a modern day version of Eric Dickerson. All that’s missing is the greasy Afro and the goggles. He’s pretty similar to Ryan Grant, also an East Coast dude. Don’t be surprised to see Starks eventually supplant Grant in a couple years if Jimmy can stay healthy.
Here’s an interesting scouting report on Starks:
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=2214
Quote:
had a superb combine and is looking like a potential steal in the later rounds…..Starks has all the tools to be a quality back in the NFL and he would certainly be getting a lot more attention had he been around for his senior season. He will not get drafted before the fourth round, but he probably should.

Round 7, Pick #230
CJ Wilson, DE, East Carolina

A 4-year starter who was an absolute steal down here in round 7. For some reason, the hype was never generated on this guy. But with his production and his measurables both in size, speed, and agility, he’s a hell of a prospect. Had he put up the same production in the SEC or Big 12, he’d have been a day 2 pick. The fact that the Packers took him despite no need at all should speak volumes about how good he is. He was simply too good to pass up. Now, going forward, the Packers will have some leverage when roster decisions have to be made at this position.
Here’s an interesting scouting report on him from early this winter: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2186
Quote:
Right now Wilson is probably a second or third round selection, but his stock could quickly rise once NFL scouts get a good look at him during senior week and at the NFL Combine. He has the size and the speed to be a very good player in the NFL and could very easily move up draft boards in a hurry between now and April.
Grade: A-

Final Analysis
While I think it was a fine draft and overall, should get about a solid ‘B’ or ‘B+’, because the team weaknesses of pass defense and special teams were ignored, I have to dock the grade a little bit.
I mean the cliché “BPA” is so trendy right now and not drafting for need is so stylish to say these days, but the fact is this Packers defense was absolutely and historically torched by good QB’s last year and not taking a single CB in the draft, or a superstar OLB prospect in Jerry Hughes might cost this team some games and weeks into the playoffs. You all know I wanted Hughes all along and he was still there, ended up going a few picks later and will play with his hand on the ground there. But I have seen enough of Jerry to know that he would be a great pass rushing OLB a la an Elvis Dumervil or James Harrison. Had Hughes been the pick, Charles Brown would have been the 2nd round pick and been the new LT in the wings. As you all know, Brown was the consensus prediction for the Packers at pick #23, and many in here were hoping for that.

All in all, this was a pretty good draft, but not great. And because Ted Thompson hasn’t filled any needs in free agency as the competition has (Vikings at CB, Jets at CB, WR, OLB), etc. this draft might not be good enough to move the Packers any closer to the Super Bowl this season.
Grade B/B-
Old 05-01-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st round, 23rd overall pick, Iowa OL Bryan Bulaga

Bulaga was a popular mock pick to the Packers after the 2009-10 season and seemingly had his stock rise and fall over the course of the draft progress. Possibly due to his thyroid sickness, meassurables, and/or viewed to have limited upside he slid to us and gives us our first real look at a potential left tackle of the future. I see Bulaga as someone who's going to be a solid player with that nasty demeanor. A guy who loves the game and gives you 100% every Sunday. Hopefully he sticks at left tackle but worst case we're going to have a solid right tackle.

Initial grade: A-

Initial reasoning: Coming into the 2010 draft our biggest needs were at left tackle, cornerback, and outside linebacker. Landing Bulaga gives us hope to finally being able to stabilize our offensive line which outweighs the other needs at this point.

2nd round, 56th overall, Purdue DL Mike Neal

After landing Bulaga with our top pick this draft looked to have the makings for us to keep landing value picks. Who really knows what other teams had Neal valued at but we do know that the Packers had a 2nd round grade on him. Cullen Jenkins is potentially a free agent after the season as is Johnny Jolly, who also has some legal concerns, but with B.J. Raji also being able to play DE you have to question the use of such a high pick on a player that might not contribute until 2-3 years. Depth is an important part of football though I'm going to be watching Charles Brown closely because I though he, combined wtih Bulaga, could've solidified the tackle position for us. Time will tell and I do like Neal, but if he's not playing anything more than a role/depth position on our roster in a few years then we made a huge mistake.

Initial grade: C-

Initial reasoning: Given that we passed on Golden Tate and Charles Brown, both of whom would have filled need areas and been value picks, for Neal just makes this a questionable pick. Neal definetly has the tools to be a starter but can he put it all together on the field? Time will tell.

3rd round, 71st pick, Georgia Tech DB Morgan Burnett

A steep price to pay in that we had to sit out nearly 2 full rounds to make our next selection though we got a guy who could potentially push Bigby. I like his size/speed combination to go along with him being a ballhawk. I think it could take him a few years to develop but he's a perfect fit for our defense. Burnett is a great zone defender and gives us another centerfielder-type like Nick Collins. Worst case is a solid backup and special teams player, which was a sore spot last season.

Initial grade: B

Initial reasoning: Big price to pay to move up but could potentially pay off big too. He'll also push Bigby which is much needed.

5th round, 154th pick, Penn State TE Andrew Quarless

I expected us to draft a tight end but I expected it to be more of a blocking/intermediate receiver type. Quarless is an athletically gifted player and gives us another receiving threat to go along with Finley. Alot of off the field issues but if its behind him then I could see a nice tandum forming on the field.

Initial grade: C+

Initial reasoning: A little lower grade due to our lack of need at the TE position. He has the talent but needs to keep his head on straight. Worth the gamble this late in the draft.

5th round, 169th pick, TCU OL Marshall Newhouse

Another addition to the offensive line who's experienced and versitile. The Packers will try him at right tackle and guard. I kind of actually like him at center, which he's getting some experience at during the rookie camp. Either way he adds competition to a weak unit and his versitility could make him a valuable reserve.

Initial grade: C

Initial reasoning: He's about what you'd want to get this late in the draft. A guy who could fit in anywhere along the offensive line and at the very least provide depth and competition.

6th round, 193rd pick, Buffalo RB James Starks

Not exactally the speed threat that many of us had invisioned coming into the draft but I'm very happy with this pick none the less. Starks has really good burst and is an above average receiver. Health is going to be the main concern with him and if healthy he might manage to steal some carries from Grant and contribute in the return game.

Initial grade: B

Initial reasoning: Could be a steal or could be another DeShawn Wynn. Big time runner who's going to have to adjust to tougher competition. Might be another matchup weapon who's used lined up as a receiver, on reverses, or some form of the wildcat.

7th round, 230th pick, East Carolina DL CJ Wilson

This is the kind of pick I expected us to make instead of taking someone higher like we did with Neal. Wilson doesn't really have skill level to play DE in a 3-4 defense so I have to think that he'd be better used in nickle packages.

Initial grade: C+

Initial reasoning: Wilson's a good player but he doesn't really have a role on the team. With Jolly, Jenkins, Pickett, Raji, and Neal he's going to have to beat out Wynn and Harrell just to make the team. Possible practice squad canidate.

Initial Overall grade: B

Initial Overall analysis: This wasn't really the type of draft I was expecting. Landing Bulaga was great, especially considering that we didn't have to trade up to get him, but I kind of expected Thompson make some moves to fill bigger needs. We added depth, drafted for the future, and added competition. Alot of these guys seem hungry so if that hunger stays we could potentially see 3 future starters and 2 solid contributors.

However we failed to add depth at OLB and CB which could come back to haunt us. I like Brad Jones but we nobody behind him. We're also relying on Al Harris, Pat Lee, and Will Blackmon to return from injury and shore up our secondary.

Remember when we drafted Nick Collins and gave him the #36? What does that tell you about what the Packers think of Burnett when they gave him the #42? If he and Bulaga pan out this is going to be a very good draft for us.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:57 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think four years is a good time to evaluate a draft class...interesting to look at

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Five of the seven players got second contracts with the team. The other two, Newhouse and CJ Wilson, started 31 and 11 games respectively. Their contributions to the team and the fact that they're still in the league alone makes them solid value for where they were drafted. The Bulaga pick still looks great. Neal has underperformed for a second round pick, but is a good role player at this point. If you graded the Burnett pick before this past season, it might have gotten an A. Now it's a bit unclear what kind of player he is. I still think he can be a very good safety, but last season was discouraging to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post

Does this draft win us a Super Bowl this year? No, but rookies rarely do. What the draft does do is put us in much better position to deal with injuries for the upcoming season, and put helps us win one in the future.
Reading over my "overall analysis," I found this to be an interesting quote. This draft did win us a Super Bowl the following year. Bulaga wasn't a dominant player as a rookie, but without him stepping up and successfully filling in at tackle, Green Bay would not have won XLV.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kind of mixed feelings about this draft class. Really was a fantastic draft in terms of depth and getting a quality player at every spot, but yet there isn't really anybody that could be considered a franchise player. Bulaga has been great at times, but struggled to stay on the field.

I think the bigger question is what happened to GB12?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
I think the bigger question is what happened to GB12?
Good question.
Him and a lot of others actually.... WHERE ARE THEY NOW?