Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
What system is it that Mallett doesn't fit? Unless I missed something, neither Frazier nor Musgrave have said what we're going to run, other than that we're going to be power run oriented. Which honestly IMO fits Mallett well, run a lot of PA to allow deep routes to open up, which would fit well with Harvin and Rice both stretching the field well.
Yeah my bad i didn't phrase that well, i just kind of meant that being mobile isn't his forte and behind our terrible o-line... well mobility couldn't hurt.

I love your idea of going O-line in this draft with that slow rebuilding process and all but only if i knew we were gonna be bad enough next year to get a high-ish pick, like where we are now. I think at the very least being within striking distance of your potential franchise QB is important, and hey while we're at #12 might as well take a guy we like right?
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
Yeah my bad i didn't phrase that well, i just kind of meant that being mobile isn't his forte and behind our terrible o-line... well mobility couldn't hurt.

I love your idea of going O-line in this draft with that slow rebuilding process and all but only if i knew we were gonna be bad enough next year to get a high-ish pick, like where we are now. I think at the very least being within striking distance of your potential franchise QB is important, and hey while we're at #12 might as well take a guy we like right?
Yea, that makes sense. I just don't see a quick fix in place, and even if we do better next year, it's not like we can't trade up to get a guy we want if we feel he's the final piece of the puzzle.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is true. Btw how high is barkley supposed to go? I already know Luck obviously but no little about Barkley other than he is the QB on USC
Old 01-31-2011, 05:28 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
This is true. Btw how high is barkley supposed to go? I already know Luck obviously but no little about Barkley other than he is the QB on USC
A lot depends on his next season, and that's if he even declares. He was a great prospect coming out of high school and with another season of improvement, he could easily be an elite prospect. He had a real nice season and improved nicely from his freshman season, especially in TD:INT going from 15:14 to 26:12 and increased his completion percentage from 59.9% to 62.6%. If he can continue his progression like that, he'll be in the discussion for the top pick whenever he comes out.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As I've said, I'm very much on the OT bandwagon.

With Carimi seemingly slipping, I'd love to see us try and move down to the 20s and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. Nab Carimi. Get probably a C(Wisniewski) and a G(Ijalana) with the 2nds/3rd. Would give us an awesome foundation with Loadholt on the left and Hutch at LG. Hutch the only one needing any kind of long term replacement.

Later round picks I'd love to see used on a developmental safety/LB/CB, really can't go wrong with any of those spots.

I'd love to try and trade McKinnie, probably a team out there that would give a 3rd for him.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Squirrel

me too, imagine AP with even an average O-line...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this year, assuming our staff doesn't like any of the quarterbacks, it would be fine to completely revamp something, whether that be the secondary or the offensive line. Obviously the offensive line would be more important, and would help our biggest weapon. I don't really love any of the offensive lineman much though. I would be perfectly content with trading back to pick up Carimi or Sherrod in the first as wogitalia suggested. If we could pick up a third by trading down ten spots and end up drafting Carimi/Wisniewski/Moffit, that would be pretty ******* awesome. That would make for a big, hardy Big Ten-seasoned offensive line. I dig it.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

personally, i think that if we cant get blaine gabbert, we should look at one of the top 2 cb's,>top o-line>top d-line. i dont care how great cam newton's arm is. you know who else had a big arm? jamarcus russell. newton is nothing but trouble. i dont believe for a minute that he "knew nothing" about his father trying to extort money. add that to the academic cheating, burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice, and i think he's nothing but trouble.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
personally, i think that if we cant get blaine gabbert, we should look at one of the top 2 cb's,>top o-line>top d-line. i dont care how great cam newton's arm is. you know who else had a big arm? jamarcus russell. newton is nothing but trouble. i dont believe for a minute that he "knew nothing" about his father trying to extort money. add that to the academic cheating, burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice, and i think he's nothing but trouble.
Well, I don't see anyway that Peterson or Amukamara are still there at 12. If they are then yea, they would be well worth the pick.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Im for this too. But really, what offensive line man do you think would be worth it at 12? I think Solder and Castonzo would be a reach. Peterson and Amukamara will likely be gone. We are in kinda a tough spot. QB-wise I want nothing to do with Newton or Mallet. Locker if he falls to us in the 2nd round, then yes(but that wont happen).
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These are the guys at the senior bowl that the Vikes scout team were interviewing.

Joe Lefeged S Rutgers
Lance Kendricks TE Wisc.
Colin Kaepernick QB Neveda
Lee Smith TE Marshall
Owen Marecic FB Stanford
Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
I have a very different view on Newton. I think he could be a very good quarterback, but I would rather see the experiment play out with a different team. That being said, I would be fine with him here. I don't care if he knew that his father was trying to make money off of him. That is irrelevant. I don't care that he cheated on tests as a freshman, he got kicked out and learned a lesson. It is irrelevant. Burglary, larceny, and obstruction of justice are some of the biggest hyperbolas I have ever seen. I really don't think he is trouble. There are players with much worse red flags that most people would downsize. I understand the want for a pocket quarterback, but I really disagree that Newton is nothing but trouble.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
These are the guys at the senior bowl that the Vikes scout team were interviewing.

Joe Lefeged S Rutgerssafeties are good
Lance Kendricks TE Wisc.we don't really need a TE, and unless we get him in the fourth or later (unlikely) i would hate this
Colin Kaepernick QB Nevedashoot me in the ******* face, i would rather have joe webb
Lee Smith TE Marshalllate round tight end would be fine
Owen Marecic FB StanfordAD has been much better without a fullback in front of him, but i dont know if that is because Tahi/Dugan suck that bad or if he just doesnt run as well with one. this is interesting.
responses in bold

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Joe Lefeged S Rutgers
Lance Kendricks TE Wisc.
Colin Kaepernick QB Neveda
Lee Smith TE Marshall
Owen Marecic FB Stanford
There was an article that said we talked to Locker as well.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
Ah ok, I just went off Scott's report.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
jsang74
Rookie

jsang74 is a cocksman.jsang74 is a cocksman.jsang74 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
Hopefully it was something along the lines of "you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat."
jsang74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Imrighturwrong
Rookie

Imrighturwrong hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

idk about you guys, but there are 3 mid-late round guys i would like us to take.
1. Tawain Jones (projected 4-5 round) RB Eastern Washington- I know we have peterson and all, but for how long? his contract expires at the end of the 2011 season. Tawain led Eastern Washington to an FCS National Championship with his amazing speed and versatility. He is quite the athlete and would make for a great AP replacement or 3rd down back.
2. Josh Gatlin (5-6) CB NDSU- well lets be honest, our corners were terrible last year. Josh's speed and great hands would make him a great edition to our defensive back field.
3. Matt Czar (6-7) WR/RB/QB Villanova- You name it he can do it. He threw caught and ran for TD's in the FCS quarterfinal game vs Appalachian St.

We also need a QB in the first round.

Last edited by Imrighturwrong : 02-09-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: didnt let me finish typing before it posted.
Imrighturwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a DE with 12. I don't like any of the first round OL or QB all that much. Kerrigan would be a rock solid pick at 12 to play opposite Allen.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/2/...at-3rd-rd-pick

Spielman: "Our Goal Is To Try To Get That 3rd Rd Pick"
by rj-b on Feb 9, 2011 10:51 PM CST

Gonzo's note: Since this FanPost has generated a lot of comments, I thought I'd bump it to the front page where it could get a little more notice. Hopefully we'll be doing this a little more frequently than we have been in the past, so keep the awesome FanPosts coming, folks!

This morning I podcasted PA's Feb 3rd Hr 3 on KFAN. Rick Spielman was on fielding some questions -- well, the questions he could answer, anyway -- and i found this to be pretty revealing. Shortly after the 42min mark of the podcast, Spielman had this to say in response to a caller asking about any creative moves in absence of our 3rd rd pick:

“Yeah, again I think as you go into this draft -- and that’s what makes the process so exciting, especially on draft day because so many things happen behind the scenes -- and there’s no reason where potentially we can move out of #12 and move down a little bit later in a draft because we like maybe an offensive tackle in this draft, or we like a defensive lineman, or we like a corner or a safety coming out, and then swing back around to get that third round pick back, but also still get some very good players.

What we’ll do is, as we go through this process and we get everything finalized, we actually put together a, almost like a book on what other teams, what we project them, that they’re going to do, what needs are they going to fill -- for example, if you’re going to move down from the 12th pick, and let’s say you still want to take a quarterback, for example; well, if there’s four teams that already have established quarterbacks that you know aren’t going to take a quarterback, you could potentially move down, pick up that pick, and still get your player. But also there are risks to that, too, because if someone’s down further than that they could still make that jump ahead of you.

So there’s a lot of mind games going on during that draft day, but there’s a lot of options, a lot of things that could potentially happen. But we’re hoping, and our goal is to try to get that 3rd rd pick some way, shape or form.”
It didn't sound as if he was playing within the confines of that particular scenario; rather, it sounded like that actually may be their plan on draft day. What I find pretty intriguing is that he mentions 'four teams' in a trade-down scenario, which would indicate the scenario most people have been speculating on -- swapping with NE at #17 (and getting back our #74 in the 3rd).

Nothing huge, I guess. Just thought it added a little more validity to the idea of trading down -- which some people seem to be vehemently against, for whatever reason.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

I was bored this morning and have a school dance later sooo I am killing time so I made a Vikings mock draft, and then kinda combined it with my thoughts on free ageny. Lemme know what you guys think!

1 (12). Jake Locker, QB, Washington

**The Vikings have a tendency of drafting players who blow up their junior seasons and have underperforming senior seasons, like Marcus McCauley and John Sullivan. I think the Vikings know that this is the year where they need to secure the position and draft a bonafide Franchise QB. I really think Locker can be that guy, and although his completion percentage comes into question, I think the reason is the lack of talent surrounding him, specifically at the WR position where the drops were just awful. May need time to develop, but can afford to wait behind behind either a veteran FA, or the man with potential nobody remembers, Joe Webb.

2 (43). Ben Ijalana, OG-OT, Villanova

**Ben Ijalana is being projected anywhere from the 1st-3rd round. Many teams think he could be a starting LT at the next level, while others think he is merely a guard. I like him as a player and think he brings good value here. With McKinnie's inconsistent play, and Steve Hutchinson and Anthony Herrera aging, a new offensive lineman is necessary and
the versatility of Ijalana is nothing but helpful. While this offensive line crop is lacking elite players at the top, there are about 10 that could be labeled fringe 1st rounders which will allow some players to drop, to the second, like Ijalana here.

3 (None)

**We dont have a 3rd round pick and i'm not projecting us to get one in this mock. However, Spielman has said he would love to get a 3rd-rd pick back, and if we are targeting either Locker or an offensive lineman, the value might be there to move down just a little bit. For example, we could move down 5 spots with New England and get our 3rd (#74) back and still get our man.

4 (105). Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma

**Carter was a very productive player and was a team captain at Oklahoma. He is a hard hitting safety who was even viewed as the leader of the South defense at the senior bowl, which is quite the accolade. He is best when he is in a deep zone and can see everything in front of him, which is perfect for the cover 2. This is probably as far as he will drop, but it is far from impossible.

5 (136). Denarius Moore, WR, Tennessee

**This guy is a beast. He is, by far, the most underrated prospect in the draft this year. He is unranked by many top analysts, and is given a 52/100 by ESPN's Scouts Inc. I watch this guy and he looks like a 2nd round prospect. He is EXTREMELY athletic, a crafty route runner, and probably has some of the best ball skills in the class. With Berrian underperforming and Lewis and Camarillo largely underwhelming, this guy makes sense. I have no idea if he is anywhere near the Vikings' radar but I love this guy and this would be amazing value in my opinon.

5 (147). Lee Smith, TE, Marshall

**The Vikings expressed interest in him at the senior bowl, which can't be overlooked. More of a blocking tight end in the mold of Jim Kleinsasser. He is a slightly worse blocker coming out of college in comparison but is a more polised, dynamic weapon in the passing game. Kleinsasser is getting old and had lots of penalties last year, and it makes sense to begin to groom the replacement for the longest-tenured Viking. I strongly believe the Vikings will make a move to get Lee Smith at some point in this draft.

6 (167). Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock

**The Vikings love taking developmental interior lineman in the late rounds, like Chris DeGeare last year and John Sullivan. Speaking of John Sullivan, he has been unspectacular at best. Is he the answer? Maybe. It's hard to tell because of his plethora of calf injuries. At the very least Fusco could prodive depth, and once he adjusts to the speed of the game, he could become a starter.

7 (204). Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford

**Tahi will be gone after this year. Tahi is awful at both blocking, receiving, and running. Enter Marecic, a player who played both offense and defense for Stanford but projects better as a FB in the NFL. He is a hard nosed guy with top intangibles who could be kept on the team for years. Top fullback in the draft. Most likely lasts until 7th round due to lack of value at the fullback position. Vikings scouts loved him at the Senior Bowl.

**********FREE AGENCY**********

**With the CBA and everything, i don't see this being a huge off-season for us, free agent wise. I think we are a quarterback away... from the playoffs. I think our O-line and QB positions need rebuilding, but our defense simply needs reloading. Everson Griffen, while he is an idiot, was only internally punished. This means the Vikings have plans for him, and i believe he will be starting. I think Guion earns the starting job on the inside as well. That's why i don't think we add anybody new there.

**I think our need for a cornerback is completely exagerrated. Chris Cook was promising pre-injury, and he is definitely an above average nickleback. Cedric Griffin will be back, and Asher Allen, who gets better every year, sounds like an outstanding 4th corner to me.

**The one free agent signing I see happening for this team is Melvin Bullitt, the safety from the Indianapolis Colts. He already has played for a Cover 2 defense and has connections with Frazier. He has plenty of starts with Sanders always being hurt, but is ready to be a solid starter and the Colts have a tendency of not retaining their defensive free agents.

I think we sign Bullitt, release Madieu "Man of the Year" Williams and draft a rookie to compete for the other safety spot with Tyrell Johnson. Tyrell was a very promising prospect, and for one reason or another just hasn't put things together in the NFL. If you remember correctly, EJ Henderson was a very poor player for 2-3 years until one year he just stepped up and became the leader of the defense. I do not know if Tyrell Johnson, Chris Cook, or Asher Allen will undergo this same transformation but it proves that it is possible. If Tyrell Johnson plays like the hard-hitting, ball-hawking, playmaking safety he can be this defense will receive a major upgrade.

**The Vikings could look to free agency to fix the offensive line, but I am assuming all of our options will be retained by their previous teams. Patriots have already said they will use the Franchise tag on Logan Mankins. Carl Nicks, I believe, has made the pro bowl as an OG but he couldn't be the highest paid OG on our team because of Hutchinson's "poison pill" contract. Jared Gaither, OT for the Ravens, went on IR last year so they shifted Oher over to LT and were happy with the results. Gaither says he will only be happy if he is a Left Tackle so Baltimore could have problems keeping him. He would be a very good player who could be our starting LT for years, but to be honest I don't think any of these players get away.

**Lastly, quarterback. I think it would be in our best interests to obtain a veteran to start for a year, because while I like the QB's in this class, the would all be best served to spend a year holding a clipboard. It's not vital to bring in a vet because Joe Webb would make a great "Bridge-starter" to bridge the gap between eras of Qb's, but it would be nice. Even bringing in someone Mark Brunell-like to be a 3rd stringer would be helpful. Matt Hasselbeck or Donovan McNabb if he gets cut would be good options.

**All of this is assuming we re-sign Greenway, Leber, and Rice other players we are expected to re-sign. We would let Edwards and others we are expecting to leave walk.

Last edited by Heisman : 02-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a DE with 12. I don't like any of the first round OL or QB all that much. Kerrigan would be a rock solid pick at 12 to play opposite Allen.
Scott got us taking Cameron Jordan in his latest mock.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Jordan pick. Actually, I think that I could be happy with a number of different players in the first round. I really expect the Vikes to try hard to move down in the 1st to get a 3rd rounder back. Even if they do that, there are so many holes to fill that I could be happy with players such as Locker, Kerrigan, Carimiri, Costanzo, or even Julio Jones..

Our 1st round pick could go in so many different directions that it will be an interesting build up to the draft to say the least.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

Well, here's my first full Vikings mock of the year, I've went over some of the major free agent moves I see happening, and also added our first rounder of 2012.

2011 free agency:
Re-sign Chad Greenway
Franchise tag Sidney Rice
Let Ray Edwards walk
Pat Williams retires
Re-sign Ben Leber
Re-sign Brian Robison
Sign a veteran QB in free agency to a short term deal (like 2 or 3 years), not sure which one, depends on who is available, but I don’t see McNabb happening
Sign Dawan Landry S Baltimore – Provides an upgrade over Madeiu Williams and Husain Abdullah or whoever else we’re starting there.

1. **Trade Pick #12 to Philadelphia for their 1st #23 and 2nd #55**
With pick #23, select: Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
The explanation on this is fairly simple. McKinnie is aging and has been struggling more and more the past couple years. Carimi can sit behind McKinnie for a year or he could battle him for the starting spot right away his rookie year, and could also provide competition to Loadholt on the right side. I’m not a big fan of any of the QBs likely to be available at this time, so I’d rather get some protection for the franchise guy whoever that is, and also build up a better run blocking line for Adrian.

2a. With pick #43, select: Rahim Moore S UCLA
Pretty simple explanation here as well, our S are very likely the worst in the NFL, or at least right there with them. Signing Landry as I have projected would help out a lot, but we could still use help there. Moore is the best S in this draft and would be an instant upgrade, starting his rookie year.

2b. With pick #54 from Philadelphia, select: Marcus Cannon OG/T TCU
Again, rebuilding the offensive line, Cannon can play both G and T, but likely projects better inside as a guard. He can play at RG as a rookie, or at least compete with Herrera, who is coming off a torn ACL and while he is a decent player, he can be upgraded. As Hutch is aging, Cannon can eventually shift over to LG and take over for him, providing us with another great LT/LG combo, particularly in the power run blocking, in Carimi and Cannon. He could also play RT if Loadholt were to continue to struggle as he did this past year.

4. With pick #105, select: Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
With Edwards pretty much guaranteed to be gone, Robison also a FA, and Everson Griffen showing off the character concerns, we could use a DE, someone to at least add some depth and competition. Romeus was viewed as a first rounder coming into this season, but he suffered through injuries in his senior season which held him out of all but a couple games. The talent is still there, and he could be a steal if he’s able to stay healthy, if not, it’s only a 4th round pick.

5a. With pick #136, select: Jalil Brown CB Colorado
We at the very least need some depth at CB with Griffin having suffered his second torn ACL in as many seasons, and Chris Cook being unproven and also struggling with knee injuries last year. Asher Allen proved last year that he’s not starting CB material, but I do feel that he could be a nice nickel back. I’m sick of having to sign guys like Frank Walker mid season especially as more than just an emergency guy, so just having enough depth would be nice. Brown is a big physical corner who should fit well into the cover 2.

5b. With pick #147 from New York Giants, select: Ian Williams DT Notre Dame
With Pat Williams supposedly retiring, we could at least use some depth at DT. I’d feel fairly comfortable with Guion, Evans, and Kennedy rotating alongside Kevin Williams, but some additional depth would be nice, especially with Evans being a free agent this year as well. Ian Williams is a nice run stuffing 4-3 NT who would fit right into the rotation.

6. With pick #167, select: Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse
If Greenway were to leave in free agency, we’d need to address OLB earlier, but even if he stays as I have projected, Leber is a free agent and depth wouldn’t hurt beyond them. Hogue is a bit undersized, but is quick and should at least be good on special teams.

7. With pick #203, select: Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio State
If Rice were to leave in free agency, this would be another position we’d look to address earlier, but even if we keep him as I have projected, we still need some depth. Berrian is terrible, and Greg Lewis, Jaymar Johnson, and Hank Baskett are all free agents, so some depth is needed. Sanzenbacher doesn’t have much upside, but should be a solid slot guy and could develop into a nice possession receiver.

2012 1st round Mock

1. Picking somewhere around #5, select: Matt Barkley QB USC
If we don’t find a potential franchise QB in this draft, then we better do it next year. Barkley is a great QB prospect, and whenever he comes out he’ll be well worth a high first round pick and could even challenge Luck.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

This would be such a sick offseason.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

We havent really talked about Tyron Smith much here. If we got him at 12 I'd be ok with that. Any thoughts?