Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
There was improvement throughout the year, remember it was his first year at center.

Completely agreed, he doesn't need to step in right away, with the way we play rookies...
Can you describe his game towards the end of the season?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd much rather have a Maurkice Pouncey type of center who destroys people at the second level/LOS and can do a good job in pass protection.

Granted, Mike Pouncey by no means his brother in terms of ability.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I'd much rather have a Maurkice Pouncey type of center who destroys people at the second level/LOS and can do a good job in pass protection.

Granted, Mike Pouncey by no means his brother in terms of ability.
I think I prefer that as well. Bc Eli pretty much makes all the adjustments anyway. However, I think our situation is a little different right now bc I think we need immediate help at Center. I don't know if we have the luxury of waiting a year for an athlete to develop.

I hope we do, I hope we can use Koets to start the season and use our drafted Center a year from now or perhaps halfway through the year, but I'm not sure if it's doable.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still liking O'Dowd in the 2nd if possible.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Question.

So what are you specifically looking for in our next Center? Would you take a raw athlete over a polished guy with average athleticism? Or do you want an intelligent technician who lacks some athleticism but is very capable of making line calls and uses good technique?

The reason I ask is bc no Center that I know of has it all, he's either 1 or the other, so which one do you prefer?
Depends on our system... We are not a zone running team, so option 2. Make the line calls, identify blitzers and make the line calls. Then either fold, drive, or combo block and chip off to the next level.

Option 1: Would be raw athletic ability which the coach would polish and then you can easily teach zone blocking. Zone blocking, and pass protection might be slide protection rather than BOB blocking.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Depends on our system... We are not a zone running team, so option 2. Make the line calls, identify blitzers and make the line calls. Then either fold, drive, or combo block and chip off to the next level.

Option 1: Would be raw athletic ability which the coach would polish and then you can easily teach zone blocking. Zone blocking, and pass protection might be slide protection rather than BOB blocking.
We mix in some zone blocking don't we? I couldve sworn Ive seen us zone block a decent amount.

I think we zone block more for Bradshaw than Jacobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I'm still liking O'Dowd in the 2nd if possible.
O'Dowd was my guy too. But I don't mind gathering more names to check out.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

As it stands right now, my mock is

1. Carimi
2. O'Dowd
3. Herz/Murray

To be fair, im still catching up on prospects. I've probably only checked out about 10% (more like 5 percent honestly) of the guys who have round 1-3 grades on em.

Ive focused mainly on oline and linebacker.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As it stands right now, my mock is

1. Carimi
2. O'Dowd
3. Herz/Murray

To be fair, im still catching up on prospects. I've probably only checked out about 10% (more like 5 percent honestly) of the guys who have round 1-3 grades on em.

Ive focused mainly on oline and linebacker.
O'Dowd scares me a little, though. His injuries were pretty consistent before this year. We don't want another Shaun O'Hara (more recently than previously) who is constantly being taken out of the line and disrupting the offensive lines chemistry.

I think we've all seen what staying together for a while as a unit can do for an offensive line.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
O'Dowd scares me a little, though. His injuries were pretty consistent before this year. We don't want another Shaun O'Hara (more recently than previously) who is constantly being taken out of the line and disrupting the offensive lines chemistry.

I think we've all seen what staying together for a while as a unit can do for an offensive line.
That's why O'Dowd is a 2nd round guy though. If he had no health scares, he'd easily be a late 1st round guy.

But I agree with your caution. It is something we need to be aware of. I would gamble on him, but I can understand why we would pass up on him.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We mix in some zone blocking don't we? I couldve sworn Ive seen us zone block a decent amount.

I think we zone block more for Bradshaw than Jacobs.

O'Dowd was my guy too. But I don't mind gathering more names to check out.
Barely.. I saw one where we scored a TD because it was so rare.. Brandon Jacobs 27 yard TD against the 49ers at Giants Stadium. That's the zone I saw. Everything else is something designed.

But we are not a zone blocking team. So option 2 fits us better.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.

Mock draft as of today:
1. Derek Sherrod OT
Alternative: Stephen Paea DT

2. Michael Pouncey OG/C
Alternative: Jerell Powe DT

3. Johnny Patrick CB
Alternative: Noel Devine offensive weapon

4. Edmund Gates Wr/kr
Alternative: Curtis Marsh cb/kr

6. Adrian Moten olb
Alternative: Michael Morgan Olb

7. Craig Cooper rb
Alternative: Mario Fannin rb

I really think there is no Linebacker in this draft that can start from the day 1 so I believe we will address this issue in Free Agency. Greenway or Anderson would be good pick ups. I believe in fortifyin the trenches and upgrading our special team return game and adding a corner to be of the upmost importance in this draft. A couple of players that I really like that didn't make the mock are: mikel Leshore, mason foster, janovis Jenkins. After the senior bowl and the combine alot of things will be more clearer. Any thoughts?
DOMINATEtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

DOMINATE, what's your thoughts on Mason Foster? He's catching a ton of buzz and people are saying he's going to be a very good player.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.

Quote:
DOMINATE, what's your thoughts on Mason Foster? He's catching a ton of buzz and people are saying he's going to be a very good player.
Man, he's caught my eye alot! He's physical, has a great motor and hes passionate, I love passionate defensive players. I just can't wait till the senior bowl so we can really get a glimpse of his physical tools and potential at the next level. I like him right now as a 3rd rd pick, the fact that he played in the PAC 10 really lowers his stock. After the senior bowl going against the best seniors in this draft class we can make a more educated accessment of is true potential at the next level. I know you like him at Mike, but I m really lookin at him at SAM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATEtheline View Post
Man, he's caught my eye alot! He's physical, has a great motor and hes passionate, I love passionate defensive players. I just can't wait till the senior bowl so we can really get a glimpse of his physical tools and potential at the next level. I like him right now as a 3rd rd pick, the fact that he played in the PAC 10 really lowers his stock. After the senior bowl going against the best seniors in this draft class we can make a more educated accessment of is true potential at the next level. I know you like him at Mike, but I m really lookin at him at SAM.
I don't know where I like him or if I like him at all. I haven't seen him. I heard about him though. I prefer a guy we can slide in at MIKE, so I'll definitely keep an eye on him at the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

Quote:
I don't know where I like him or if I like him at all. I haven't seen him. I heard about him though. I prefer a guy we can slide in at MIKE, so I'll definitely keep an eye on him at the Senior Bowl.

I caught a couple of Washington St games this year cause of John locker and foster stood out.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATEtheline View Post
I caught a couple of Washington St games this year cause of John locker and foster stood out.
What's his style? Height/Weight/Speed?

I wonder if he's worth a 1st. It sounds like ppl are projecting him as a 1st rounder by the time the draft approaches.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

Quote:
What's his style? Height/Weight/Speed?

I wonder if he's worth a 1st. It sounds like ppl are projecting him as a 1st rounder by the time the draft approaches.
6-2 240lbs 4.7; as of today i feel theres not a 1st rounder in this draft thats worth a 1st round pick, the only one that i consider was Bruce Carter and hes hurt. I need the senior bowl and the combine to fortify my comparison. But he reminds me of Lance Briggs.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'll take Lance Briggs in a heart beat.

This also got me thinking, David Harris is going to be a FA. Should we go after him? He's more of a 34 thumper, but I LOVE David Harris.

I'm not sure if his game is what we need though.

I really hope Reese doesn't go after Barret Rudd. No thank you.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

Quote:

This also got me thinking, David Harris is going to be a FA. Should we go after him? He's more of a 34 thumper, but I LOVE David Harris.

We need to be careful with 3-4 linebackers and we can get burned badly. My cousin is die hard jets fan who actually went to game yesterday and I started to watch jets games as a football fan cause of him, and my conclusions are that there coordinators are above ours. David Harris is a bluechip run stuffer but a big liability in coverage. I dont think he is better in pass coverage than Goff. I love their the physicality and tenacity that Scott and Harris play with. I really wished now that we would of signed DANSBY AND drafted Earl Thomas instead of what we did.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:

Yeah, I'd stay away from Harris myself. I love him as a player (one of the few Jets who doesn't talk a ton of ****, too) and think he's great but I'm not convinced he's what we're looking for. He's more of the Antonio Pierce type (before he got awful) in that he is a force against the run, is smart, and is okay in coverage. My fear is he'll be exposed in a 4-3, and especially as he starts to get older.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone not really like the idea of Nate Solder? he doesn't look like he's quick enough to handle speed rushers. Marcus Cannon and Gabe Carimi are too more solid guys i feel, especially if we wanted them to play right away. Tyron Smith is prob the only guy who is a LT, but he's skinny and might take awhile to adjust.

We need to trade down because our needs just dont match up with value at all.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'd stay away from Tyron Smith. The guy is way too small, he's got that lazy USC mentality, and it seems like he's coming out when he clearly isn't ready to come out yet bc he wants to get paid. All red flags to me.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Solder scares the crap out of me. Watching Cameron Jordan completely obliterate him was tough to watch. Smith could be good, but like BBD said, he needs to pack on some serious weight and maintain his quickness in order to be thought higher of.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm still on the Gabe Carimi bandwagon. He's such a safe pick. And a quality pick too. He's a guy who can start from day 1, and if he doesn't pan out at LT, the guy is going to be a stud RT, especially in our offense. We need a future RT anyway, and at pick 19, it's not a reach to go after a RT.

I really think he can be a Jordan Gross type of LT though if given the chance.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there that much difference between Smith and Beatty?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote