Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That injury happened in like November. Unless there is a game within the next few weeks I don't know why this is even relevant. But that being said, the Giants have the best secondary in the division by a long shot and it's not even close. They are the only team that should be able to slow up some of the high passing attacks if they are healthy.

Everyone else is gonna get torched and need to score points.
Which is why we keep drafting defense for the last 7 years. If our prospects pan out we can be in good shape. JPP and Linval Joseph need to emerge. Austin and Prince will be in the mix. Our hurt LBs should do something. We gotta see if we re-sign Kiwi. If so, then add another pass rusher to the mix.

Main thing is the DC. 2nd year in the system, hopefully helps our guys. We also play a 3 safety nickel, so now we drafted Sash SS, so he can split time with Deon Grant.

I expect us to be better on defense.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Vick2Jackson
Rookie

Vick2Jackson is a cocksman.Vick2Jackson is a cocksman.Vick2Jackson is a cocksman.Vick2Jackson is a cocksman.Vick2Jackson is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
when did Dez embarass anyone in our secondary? like when he had 7 total catches in the 2 games against us? oh, ok.

the only "embarassing" Dex did to us was on special teams. the kid's talented, but it's getting old with literally everyone riding his jock.
Yeah, like when he had 160 yards and 3 td's. Stop making it seem like he didn't do anything. Plus he had that 60 yard bomb that should have been a catch. Yeah, uh ok.

From a talent standpoint he's a top 10 WR RIGHT NOW. When he gets his head screwed on just watch out... coming from an Eagles fan.

Look what he did this year playing 54% of total snaps.
Vick2Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick2Jackson View Post
Yeah, like when he had 160 yards and 3 td's. Stop making it seem like he didn't do anything. Plus he had that 60 yard bomb that should have been a catch. Yeah, uh ok.

From a talent standpoint he's a top 10 WR RIGHT NOW. When he gets his head screwed on just watch out... coming from an Eagles fan.

Look what he did this year playing 54% of total snaps.
over 2 games. those numbers are hardly "embarassing". and one TD was on a screen. one was a long play where he torched Thomas (who had a pretty bad year while we're on the DB topic).
and what does "should have' been a catch mean? shoulda. woulda. coulda.

in terms of physical attributes? yea, he's a top 10 WR but let's seem him do a little more before everyone crowns his ass after what? 11 games? he had a pretty good and impressive rookie year, but with the Giants pash rush and now pushing elite secondary, I'm not overally worried.
the only thing that worries me is Fewell...
god, imagine Spags with this D? he took us to the Super bowl starting guys like Geoffery Pope and Reggie Torbor and rookie Aaron Ross
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Which is why we keep drafting defense for the last 7 years. If our prospects pan out we can be in good shape. JPP and Linval Joseph need to emerge. Austin and Prince will be in the mix. Our hurt LBs should do something. We gotta see if we re-sign Kiwi. If so, then add another pass rusher to the mix.

Main thing is the DC. 2nd year in the system, hopefully helps our guys. We also play a 3 safety nickel, so now we drafted Sash SS, so he can split time with Deon Grant.

I expect us to be better on defense.
with the 3 safety nickel I expect someone like TT or Ross to get moved to safety is Grant walks. Not sure if they'd throw Sash in there at that spot, especially with our depth, talent and size at CB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're better off not thinking about Spags with this defense. It only leads to frustration and sadness to imagine what he could do for us this year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
with the 3 safety nickel I expect someone like TT or Ross to get moved to safety is Grant walks. Not sure if they'd throw Sash in there at that spot, especially with our depth, talent and size at CB
Ross or Reese said Sash will be used for that. We also have that LSU LB who is really fast and good in coverage.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ross or Reese said Sash will be used for that. We also have that LSU LB who is really fast and good in coverage.
You mean Chad Jones? the safety? he's still in the process of recovering from that nasty car crash.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
You mean Chad Jones? the safety? he's still in the process of recovering from that nasty car crash.
No, This new LB in the 6th round. Reese and Ross talked about him.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MSU not LSU.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, This new LB in the 6th round. Reese and Ross talked about him.
alright since we didnt have any linebackers from LSU i had no idea what was being talked about, but are we talking about Greg Jones Michigan St. or J. Williams USF?

i think jones is more experienced in coverage, but Williams has the speed and fluidity to be good in coverage. Williams looks good on film, not just highlights. I dont see how he and Greg Jones don't contend for starting spots earlier on unless Sintim is still a LB and shows he is good enough in coverage.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
alright since we didnt have any linebackers from LSU i had no idea what was being talked about, but are we talking about Greg Jones Michigan St. or J. Williams USF?

i think jones is more experienced in coverage, but Williams has the speed and fluidity to be good in coverage. Williams looks good on film, not just highlights. I dont see how he and Greg Jones don't contend for starting spots earlier on unless Sintim is still a LB and shows he is good enough in coverage.
Haha damn i botched that one up.. I meant Williams from USF. Some reason I thought he was from LSU, which is probably because I got it confused with MSU, and figured that was LSU, but for Williams.

But yes USF LB is the guy Reese and Ross talking about.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha damn i botched that one up.. I meant Williams from USF. Some reason I thought he was from LSU, which is probably because I got it confused with MSU, and figured that was LSU, but for Williams.

But yes USF LB is the guy Reese and Ross talking about.
He does look really smooth out there. He's a small guy for a LB though and I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his instincts, but he looks like a gamer who could be a stud on specials and work his way into the second nickel backer spot next to Boley.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Jones is going to be an All-Pro MLB for the Giants in the next 5 years.

That's right, not just a Pro Bowler, but an All-Pro. That defensive line is going to allow him to rack up 120+ tackles every year.
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Greg Jones is going to be an All-Pro MLB for the Giants in the next 5 years.

That's right, not just a Pro Bowler, but an All-Pro. That defensive line is going to allow him to rack up 120+ tackles every year.
*shrug* I'll be happy if he can improve our special teams.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Quote:
http://replay.web.archive.org/200704...ellerevis.html

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...-Amukamara.php

i know prince wasn't a returner and probably doesn't have the ballskills that revis has, but he is more refined and has more quality experience against better teams, although he doesn't have the highlight reel, he was forced to lock up with a receiver without any help. Ive been seeing 4.38 for prince's 40 time but scott has 4.43
Looking more into this comparison, Prince is definitely the more polished prospect. Prince played in more complicated coverages, was used in more ways such as blitzing, and was typically locked up with a receiver without any help.

When i watched Revis I see a lot more loose coverage (absolutely crappy quarterbacks) and him basically floating in coverage when he is not in a deep three/manned up which is very occasional.

Prince may not have the arm length or the hand size that Revis has, but when you are comparing prince to any other prospect you have to do it knowing that most of the time he was locked up in cover 0 press where he was unable to float or see the ball any time before it the receiver puts up their hands.

When I watch the difference between 2010 and 2009 i definitely see two different defenses where in 2009 Prince was allowed to play more off coverage and read the ball rather than just playing the receiver in 2010. I tribute this to the dropoff in pressure which would cause the receivers to be able to run longer, passing time being extended quite a bit.

His versatility and experience in several defensive looks makes him more NFL ready and although he isn't an impact player in man press, not many corners playing that style are. You simply do not see it because the reaction time to get your body in position and get two hands on it in that time period is nearly impossible on a well thrown ball. I stand by my position when I say that Prince will be the best corner from this draft.

Edit: and several times this year when Prince was in this man press he got a nice deflection that, with maybe a splitsecond more time to react, would've been a pick.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 05-18-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Prince's aggressiveness, and his ability to tackle and his versatility. What scares me about him is his short arms and he grabs a lot. Prince would grab an awful lot in college. He can't do that in the pros, he'll get flagged every time.

He also bites at double moves a lot. That will improve over time, I think he'll be a solid CB, he won't be a Revis, I felt that Peterson or Smith had that potential, but Prince is a very solid CB who can at the very worst be a very good #2 CB, and with our depth at CB that's more than enough.

He'll eventually become our 2, slide TT to nickel, and we probably don't resign Ross.

It was a good pick, I used to be upset that we chose him over Smith, but after reading more about Smith's character, I think choosing Prince was the right move.

Austin...I just can't sell myself on him. Everytime I watch him he gets abused. He wanted to get paid, so he gave a damn in the East West Shrine Game and dominated, and we fell for it. I read all the fluff articles this offseason, as Im sure many of you have as well, but I try not to read into those too much. We see those every offseason. Sure, his character isn't an issue, he's no Jimmy Smith, but his laziness and lack of effort on the football field is. It's one thing if he was JPP and had elite athleticism with minimal experience and a high motor, but this guy is just lazy.

That's why I loved JPP. His motor. The guy was raw, but he was athletic and had a great work ethic. Can we say the same for Austin? I think it was a good sign that the dude stayed in excellent shape during his suspension which shows some commitment, and he dominated the EW Shrine Game, but every time I watch his games, I come away very unimpressed.

Hopefully the "light" turned on for him, but it's definitely a risk.

Beyond the first 2 rounds, I usually stay skeptical for the rest of the draft. This was a weak draft class, I think it's unrealistic of us to expect a lot from anyone else.

I'm anticipating Jerrigan to be a great returner, but not much more than that for at least his first 2 years in the league, I expect the OT from Indiana to need a solid 2 years to develop if he does, so he's going in our farm system. The rest seem like good STers to me.

I think overall the class is good, and we have some great potential from some guys, I really liked our first 4 rounds outside of Austin, but at the same time, we have to keep in mind that typically, a great draft lands you 3 to 4 quality players, and in a weak draft class like this one, I'll be satisfied with 2 good players.

I think we'll get production out of 3 players in this draft. I'm guessing Prince is solid but not shut down, Jerrigan develops into a decent slot and a reliable returner, and Brewer develops into a solid RT or swing OT for depth. That's my expectations, I hope more comes from it, but if that's what we get, I'll be satisfied.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

If we can draft an offensive player next year in the first round.. I will sport wood and be satisfied.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Next year could potentially be a very very good LB draft. I think we finally pull the trigger on a LB in the 1st next year.

The only offensive players we need are OL, RB, and possibly TE. I doubt we go TE, we always get mid round RBs, and we've shown a history of grabbing developmental OL in the mid rounds and putting them in our farm system instead of drafting NFL ready linemen in the 1st.

Truth be told, if Beatty develops and Brewer develops, we probably won't need OL next year. It depends on how those 2 develop. I think the staff believes in Koets at C.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NOoooo! NOOOOoOOo nOOOOooOoo! OFFENSE! Not a LB! NOOOOOO!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
NOoooo! NOOOOoOOo nOOOOooOoo! OFFENSE! Not a LB! NOOOOOO!
Depends on what happens. If Beatty and Koets entrench themselves as starters this season where do we add an offensive player? We're set at QB, WR and if those two step up alongside some progress from Petrus and Brewer our OL and running game should not be a problem. Add a great defense alongside that Offense and we're a superbowl team.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

While our oline was an issue last year, we managed with it. And most of the problem was we were witnessing a "changing of the guard" along the oline during a season rather than during the offseason. I believe in our young guys, and I feel that you don't really need a dominant oline when you have a deep WR core anyway.

Look at GB. Their oline is mediocre at best, and their run game is far worse than ours. But they counter that with spread sets and quick passes with that WR core and they won a SB.

Our oline will never be dominant, but it can be good enough. The Giants philosophy is getting blue chip guys in the middle rounds and letting them develop chemistry, and having a solid blue collar unit up front. I don't agree with it, but i understand where they are coming from. You have to treat the oline as a single unit, not 5 individuals, and sometimes cohesion and development over time can overcome any physical shortcomings.

To me, when I study the Giants, the most glaring need is clearly linebacker. Our LB core is so mediocre. Getting 1 or even 2 playmakers at the LB position would GREATLY improve our defense.

We're solid up front and in the back end, but if you don't have linebackers, you can't defend the middle of the field. And if you break down the Giants defense, they've struggled to defend the middle of the field for the past 2 years. And probably will again this year.

The middle is WIDE OPEN against our defense. All the time. Bc we lack the LBs to patrol that middle. It's going to continue to become an issue this season as well. It doesn't go away on its own, we need linebackers to fix this problem and we haven't went out and got any.

So it's going to take some very intelligent scheming by Fewell to counter this, but realistically, the deep post will be open all day every day vs us all season long, just like it was last year and the year before.

So LB is clearly my #1 need on our board, and I doubt that's changing from now till April.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Depends on what happens. If Beatty and Koets entrench themselves as starters this season where do we add an offensive player? We're set at QB, WR and if those two step up alongside some progress from Petrus and Brewer our OL and running game should not be a problem. Add a great defense alongside that Offense and we're a superbowl team.
RB..

If good value comes WR, or any other offensive spot. We drafted a CB and DT this year, and a damn DE and another DT last year. So if it can be done. It's not like we needed those positions.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
RB..

If good value comes WR, or any other offensive spot. We drafted a CB and DT this year, and a damn DE and another DT last year. So if it can be done. It's not like we needed those positions.
Yes we did. Ross is walking next year so we needed a CB, Osi was coming off of a **** season and kiwi was still a question mark so we needed JPP, our depth at DT is still pretty weak unless Joseph becomes the beast we all hope and Austin's head really is out of his ass, especially with Cofield likely to walk this year. We certainly had needs at those positions. Whereas at WR the only possible need is if Smith walks this year or mario does next year, in which case we've already snagged Jernigan to groom for that job. RB could be a need, but lets wait until after FA to see what happens, personally I was a big fan of the Scott pick in the third.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We absolutely needed a DE, DT, and a CB. As stated, Ross is gonna be a FA, so is TT, and Web is getting closer to 30 as we speak.

With today's league, you need 3 very good CBs to have a good defense. So building depth at CB is a must.

As for DT, we're paper thin in depth. Canty thus far has been average, Bernard sucks, and Coffield is gone. We needed 2 DTs. Hell, we might need another. You need 4 DTs to have good depth. Right now we'll have 3 legit DTs on the roster coming into the season. We could use another if you ask me.

And DE, Tuck is always hurt, Kiwi is always hurt and will be a FA casualty in all likelihood, and Osi was coming off a poor season post ACL. And with our belief in having 3 great DEs to rotate, we absolutely needed JPP for our longterm success of our dline.

You don't draft for a year. You draft players for the future. We've established depth along our dline and secondary for the foreseeable future, which is key for having a consistently good defense. Now defensively, we can focus on establishing our LB core for the future.

This is a team that is built on a philosophy that revolves around having a dominant defense. That's been the identity of the Giants since their creation. That will not change. This team will always put an emphasis on defense over offense.

And rightfully so. Defense wins championships.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Yes we did. Ross is walking next year so we needed a CB, Osi was coming off of a **** season and kiwi was still a question mark so we needed JPP, our depth at DT is still pretty weak unless Joseph becomes the beast we all hope and Austin's head really is out of his ass, especially with Cofield likely to walk this year. We certainly had needs at those positions. Whereas at WR the only possible need is if Smith walks this year or mario does next year, in which case we've already snagged Jernigan to groom for that job. RB could be a need, but lets wait until after FA to see what happens, personally I was a big fan of the Scott pick in the third.
No we didn't. Good, That's next year! Right now we have Webster, TT, Ross and Johnson. It's not like CB was a need. Osi was coming off injury, but we still had Tuck, Kiwi and Tolly, who has played well. Again, DE was NOT a need.

We wanted someone who can be our McCluster, or Hixon 2.0. Jerrigan was the BPA and Reese said we wanted to get faster. And so we did. Even on the defensive side of the ball we did too.