Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That's what I was saying is that I wished you guys would buck that trend. Eli works brilliantly with a guy who runs routes and knows where he will be, if he got to utilize a safety valve in a reliable TE like that who could run great routes it would probably do wonders for him.

Romo would throw 20 picks a season if we didn't have Witten. Easily.
That's the thing. IN our system, our WRs rules are very complex. Smith is the doctor of it and has mastered it. But going back to Shockey, Toomer, and Plax, they all ran wrong routes then. And now everyone else does except for Smith, and sometimes here and there he may.

I imagine a system where Eli can throw a pass and know for 100000% that the guy will be there. I wish for that to happen.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
That's the thing. IN our system, our WRs rules are very complex. Smith is the doctor of it and has mastered it. But going back to Shockey, Toomer, and Plax, they all ran wrong routes then. And now everyone else does except for Smith, and sometimes here and there he may.

I imagine a system where Eli can throw a pass and know for 100000% that the guy will be there. I wish for that to happen.

Is size into the equation as well or they can all be smaller guys? Because Barden never seemed like that guy. Also if you wanted to run a type of season like that you could probably get away with picking some guys up late where that's what they are known for. Davone Bess wasn't even drafted and he would be incredible in your offense with Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard on the radio this morning we might invite Plax to camp next summer.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I heard on the radio this morning we might invite Plax to camp next summer.
I have no problem with bringing him back. I would love to see him back quite honestly.

Quote:
I don't know why Reese won't get him a legit TE that he can count on. Even a guy like Moeaki would have been the sex for your team. Boss makes it count when he gets a shot, but a TE that could really be a threat in the passing game and a safety valve would cut down on his INT numbers quite a bit I think.

We've all been wishing for this for quite some time, but realistically it's just not happening under Coughlin. He doesn't use the TE.

Like Boss said, I just want a system that allows Eli to know that his WRs will be in the right place for him. As long as we run this choice route offense, Eli will chuck up an inordinate amount of INTs. It just comes with the territory. The system is too complex, but we'll always have it until Gilbride or who knows, maybe Coughlin is gone.

I feel like we're wasting away the prime of his career with this system. Having that said, I still think he'd do great this year if Smith was healthy.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would love to see it happen I'm just not getting my hopes up. We'll all praying someone finally hired Gilbride so we could hire Banning for OC.
LOL. I want no part of being a coordinator. I like being a position coach. No one bothers you or rips on you. No media obligations and you can do your thing. Look at Pope the TE coach. Great TE coach and can always get a job due to reputation.

Maybe HS I may, but still, I like coaching a position.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Is size into the equation as well or they can all be smaller guys? Because Barden never seemed like that guy. Also if you wanted to run a type of season like that you could probably get away with picking some guys up late where that's what they are known for. Davone Bess wasn't even drafted and he would be incredible in your offense with Eli.
Bess would need to know the WR rules. It doesn't matter who we have. We could have Austin and Dez. Add them to Jackson and Smith, and Nicks. Give us an all star cast, if they have no idea what they are doing people blame the QB. Our WR rules are complex which cases Eli to pass left, and our WRs run right. So after the play, you see Eli make hand gestures to where the WR should go. He was doing that a lot this year.

We need Steve Smith and clone him basically.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...png?1283252663
I want him so bad <3

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can totally see the Giants taking Cameron Heyward come draft day. He sounds like a BPA type that the Giants would go after.

1. We have a need at DT, and while Heyward's best fit is 34 DE, he can move inside to DT and rush the passer.

2. He is versatile and can play inside and outside, something the Giants love. Also gives us more flexibility to moving to a 3-4 in the future if the franchise wants to go in that direction.

3. He's an incredible talent, and he's dline. You know the Giants love dline.

4. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we go into the pick with a similar scenario as last year, where the positions we want (LB and Oline) simply don't have the quality player worth the 19th pick. And Reese hasn't had any history of moving back in the draft yet. That opens the door for a Heyward like pick, that addresses a lesser need with a better quality player.

I personally wouldn't mind the pick at all. I love Heyward. I think he's going to be a great player. We're desperately missing a pass rushing presence at DT for quite some time. Imagine the duo of Joseph and Heyward inside for the next 5 years with JPP and Tuck/Osi on the outside? That would be insane.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 01-06-2011 at 07:58 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I almost wish we were picking in the top 5 in this draft. Nick Fairley would be the absolute perfect fit for this team but unfortunately we have no shot. If we can get Drake Nevis in the 2nd I'd be all for that as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
I almost wish we were picking in the top 5 in this draft. Nick Fairley would be the absolute perfect fit for this team but unfortunately we have no shot. If we can get Drake Nevis in the 2nd I'd be all for that as well.
Not a big Heyward fan?

I'm a Nevis fan, but if we're going to take him, it seems like we have to grab him in the 1st.

Fairley wouldve been nice.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I tell you what, another name that is really standing out on tape to me is Gabe Carimi.

I know he has a late 1st grade to him, but I'm really digging him at 19. Dude is a beast of a run blocker, and he has underrated pass protection. Strong as an ox too.

Reminds me of Jake Long in some ways. I'd love Carimi with 19. Worst case scenario I can see this guy developing into a monster RT.

But I personally think he's got a lot of potential as a LT. I'm really digging this guy right now.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Not a big Heyward fan?

I'm a Nevis fan, but if we're going to take him, it seems like we have to grab him in the 1st.

Fairley wouldve been nice.
I like both Heyward and Watt. They are both very versatile and can line up anywhere on the line. It wouldn't hurt to have another Tuck like DE if we're not going to sign or draft another DT.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
I like both Heyward and Watt. They are both very versatile and can line up anywhere on the line. It wouldn't hurt to have another Tuck like DE if we're not going to sign or draft another DT.
Thoughts on Gabe?

Right now, a mock that gets us Gabe in the 1st and O'Dowd in the 2nd looks pretty good to me.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like Lewis is going back to school. So There goes that dream...
BigBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I feel like since this draft has so many DL prospects I can see us drafting another DE or a DT. Maybe let Kiwi go, draft another DE and run with Tuck, Osi, JPP, Rookie and Tolly. That would basically signify Osi is going to play out his contract and then JPP and Rookie fight it out. Tuck can get rested more too. However, I really hope we actually go another position.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I tell you what, another name that is really standing out on tape to me is Gabe Carimi.

I know he has a late 1st grade to him, but I'm really digging him at 19. Dude is a beast of a run blocker, and he has underrated pass protection. Strong as an ox too.

Reminds me of Jake Long in some ways. I'd love Carimi with 19. Worst case scenario I can see this guy developing into a monster RT.

But I personally think he's got a lot of potential as a LT. I'm really digging this guy right now.
Yeah, Carimi has been my second favorite pick for us for a little while now, although I see him as the successor to McKenzie as our rock at RT next to Snee for years and not like a Jake Long style LT. I'm still hoping for Sherrod just because I love the guy and think he could be a standout LT as well as RT, but if he's gone I wouldn't be upset with us taking Carimi instead. With a Snee-Carimi/Sherrod combo on the right and no more Shaun O'Hara I think our OL would be back in a big way next year and our running game could be dominant again.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Does anyone feel like Beatty fits better at RT? The more I think about it he reminds me of a Kareem McKenzie clone.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I dunno. He's so small. I don't know how I feel about Beatty yet. I was hating him early in the year, he was absolutely terrible, but then he did ok as the year went on.

Do you pass on a guy like Carimi bc you have faith in Beatty? That's tough.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I dunno. He's so small. I don't know how I feel about Beatty yet. I was hating him early in the year, he was absolutely terrible, but then he did ok as the year went on.

Do you pass on a guy like Carimi bc you have faith in Beatty? That's tough.
If he can add like 10 more pounds he'd probably be around the exact same weight as Kareem. They're both 6'6 also I believe. Well it depends on where we think Carimi fits best. If we have both of them and use them both as our future bookends I wouldn't mind it.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
If he can add like 10 more pounds he'd probably be around the exact same weight as Kareem. They're both 6'6 also I believe. Well it depends on where we think Carimi fits best. If we have both of them and use them both as our future bookends I wouldn't mind it.
I wouldn't mind that. I personally would give Carimi a shot at LT if we did draft him, but most are saying he's purely a RT.

I think getting a guy like Carimi in the 1st and getting O'Dowd in the 2nd would fortify our oline for a long time.

But by doing that, we once again ignore LB for another year. Which is frustrating.

But as it stands right now, I just don't see any LBs that I really like.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Unfortunately for us this isn't the year for an early big time LB. Maybe our scouts can unearth one in the later rounds somehow. I wouldn't mind another DT or even another DE that can play both inside and out like Heyward and Watt.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I like Carimi but it would be a big mistake to rely on him as a left tackle. I just don't think he can be one, unfortunately.

Like Rosebud, I'm a big Sherrod fan. Realistically, he's my favorite pick for us as of now. After that it gets tricky and there is going to be a lot in the pre-draft all-star games and work outs.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The only guy I see that maaaaybe has what we need is Bruce Carter. But I really didn't like him from first impression. Took too many bad angles, and didn't tackle well.

Sturivant (spelling) is too slow. Jones is like 220 lbs soaking wet and probably 5 9", or else he'd be great.

I'm starting to think it's oline or dline in the 1st. BPA. Just no more pure DEs. We have enough of those. If we go hybrid like Heyward or Watt, fine. But I don't want to see us go after a pure 260 lb DE. That would piss me off.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam Heyward would be an interesting selection. He absolutely destroyed DeMarcus Love (potential first round player) in the Sugar Bowl and basically took over that game defensively.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I know we're far away but this might be the most interesting draft under Reese yet. We'll obviously have a better idea of what we're going to do after FA though if that happens.

sig by BoneKrusher