Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

One time double posted isn't a habit.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconguru View Post
One time double posted isn't a habit.
It wasn't the first time, I deleted your previous ones. It's cool, I was just wondering. You might have a slow connection and hit the submit button more than once.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
The only time I really wanted a WR in the first was when I thought someone was going to really separate themselves and propel themselves into first round status. Never happened. I'd still much rather draft them if our DE options are people like Allen Bailey and the like. Damn shame Blackmon and Floyd didn't come out.

I still really want Quinn. He's my number one overall player in the draft. Super unlikely, but I can dream.

Also, Jernigan blew up at his Pro Day. 4.32 and 4.38
If we are picking DE, it should be the best pass rusher on the board that provides value at the pick. Most likely that would be Justin Houston.

If we are picking WR, it should be the fastest and best playmaker on the board that provides value at the pick. Most likely that would be Torrey Smith.

Yea it's no surprise Jernigan ran a 4.3, he definitely plays like he has that speed in him. I read 17 teams were in attendance, one of those have to be the falcons.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

Thanks Bosanac
Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Monster in the fact that he's big and built. Not at all a monster rushing the passer. He just won't apply enough pressure. I have faith he'd be a good run defender in the base 43, but we've got that already. We need a pass rush.

Not to mention, he didn't exactly dominant the world in the combine.
That's it! I'm throwing down the gauntlet on you ************!
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Take a look at the following site and scroll down to excellent performers.Read the group says V2. V2 is the group the Falcon's draft in in the first and from 19 yrs of study only about 16% of those first rounders become pro bowlers. Pretty amazing huh? Basically from another chart I saw last year if a GM can hit on the first 2 rounds he is doing very well. We need quality and as this chart proves most of these players won't live up to the hype.Sorry had to burst the bubble of the draft.

As I said many of these players won't play up to their hype so I think we just need to get the best players on the board regardless of position. TD drafts for need mostly but we need quality at the same time.

http://www.draftmetrics.com/
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

That's cool and all but there is one little problem.

You're not drafting pro bowlers, you're drafting college prospects. You have no idea which one of these players is going to make it in the NFL. They all have had success in college. How do you know a player of a position we don't need (Stephen Paea) will be a pro bowler but a player of a postion we do need (Torrey Smith) will bust? There is no way of knowing.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
That's it! I'm throwing down the gauntlet on you ************!
Listen, I love the U, and Hank is the man. But Allen Bailey is all kinds of meh.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Exactly Bosanc01 which puts more importance on scouting the right players.I mean I like playing the game of what we need and don't like everyone but looking at the big picture very few will be pro bowl level players. Right now all the players that could be available look like potential good players so will have to put faith in TD getting the right players.

I hope TD knows these stats and doesn't try to put a square peg in a round hole no what I mean. If we see most of the better def ends gone I'd rather go another position instead of overdrafting. Still there is no guarantee the player you draft will be successful. The better teams know how to draft and I hope TD can find the better players.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Grim Reaper hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm pretty sure TD is aware of each player's stats in college. Of all the GM's that this team has had in the last 20 years or so he is the one that has shown that he does his research on the players that this team drafts.

But that doesn't mean he's going to be successful with every pick that he makes. That is totally unrealistic.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

TD as done as good a job in 3 yrs as any GM in the league. Still we do trail other teams in overall talent which is going to take more time to catch up. Right now the Packers are the model team and they have been building for about 6 yrs. Look at their team they have an excellent blend of pro bowlers and quality players on both sides of the ball.

If you look at the Falcon's defense you have Moore,Grimes,Babs,Abe, Spoon and maybe Lofton as potential players or players already at pro bowl level.The Packers have Mathews,Woodson,Williams,Raji already at a pro bowl level the biggest difference betweeen the 2 teams on defense.

Rogers was lights out vs Ryan who in 2 playoff games hasn't done much a huge difference at QB. Ryan must continue to get better and hopefully will with more weapons. Packers receviers blow the Falcon's away and the Pack have Jermichael Finely coming back.Starks ar running back is above average while Turner can be bottled up due to his style of running.

Anyway we need a few more star players and it isn't easy to acquire but some how TD needs to find these players. It is really the difference of teams being elite vs good teams, average to good team and bad vs average.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Grim Reaper hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Granted. But to tell the truth we're not that far talent wise behind the Packers. If we had one more reliable receiver and one more good pass rusher I think the outcome of that game might of been a little different. Then again Rodgers was playing out of his mind and it wouldn't have mattered.

But the point is we can reach the level that the Pack got to with one more decent draft and free-agency. At 13-3, there's not a whole lot that we are missing.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Well the key is are we really a 13-3 team? Talent level says we are not and with a harder schedule this coming year we will find out. Also consider we didn't have alot of injuries which is key and the Packers had 15 men on IR. I think we are more like a 9-7, 10-6 team. Can we rely on ABE to have another good year? Many factors in how this team will perform. Overall we need more talent.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god i wish we could get this guy :(
i wouldnt be against trading up for him!

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still on the fence with Smith. Need to watch some more. I do know that if we are going to trade up, we'd probably have to get into the late teens in order to leap frog the Bucs. I think I'd rather Kerrigan at that point. (Or obviously Quinn if he lingers)
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I wouldn't mind Aldon Smith, but I don't think I would move up for him.

What is it with these Mizzou players? They never have a good season when they come out.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sold on Smith. I don't think he is athletic as people seem to believe.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:52 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Not sold on Smith. I don't think he is athletic as people seem to believe.
Exactly. For the Simeon Rice esque freak he's hailed as, I just haven't seen it. Admittedly, I haven't watched nearly as much on him as I have the other top DEs.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Won't be available come the Falcs pick.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Greg Romeus is much like Aldon Smith and we can get him in the 3rd. Has about the same size, maybe a bit taller. He's just not as quick, but has about the same build and athleticism.

Bucs are picking either Aldon Smith or Kerrigan. I wouldn't move up for anyone, the draft is deep.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hey ATL, I know you're gonna love this. Probly seen it already.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons...a_falcons_blog

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconguru View Post
Won't be available come the Falcs pick.
everyone knows this..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Greg Romeus is much like Aldon Smith and we can get him in the 3rd. Has about the same size, maybe a bit taller. He's just not as quick, but has about the same build and athleticism.

Bucs are picking either Aldon Smith or Kerrigan. I wouldn't move up for anyone, the draft is deep.

Sorry to intrude on your board, but I really liked Romeus, but this past season was a health nightmare for him. First with all the back problems and then the torn ACL. I'm thinking even round 3 might be a tad early for a guy that really has to check out physically before you spend a "play-right-away" pick like a 3rd rounder on him. I'm not saying he's going to drop all the way to round 6 like Greg Hardy did last season because Hardy also had character issues, but Romeus doesn't look likely to workout, and might not be close to full speed (nevermind 100%) until well after training camp starts.

As a Bucs fan, I prefer Kerrigan above all others (that would be there, and maybe all other DEs period...just because of his intangibles and work ethic) but I do like Aldon Smith a lot and wouldn't be upset if he fell to us as well. If those two are gone, it wouldn't surprise me to see Justin Houston becoming a full-time DE for the Bucs.

Also, as a Bucs fan, the thing I don't want the Falcons to get... is another pass rushing DE to supplement and soon takeover for Abraham.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Hey ATL, I know you're gonna love this. Probly seen it already.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons...a_falcons_blog

Yeah, I saw that. If that were to happen, I wouldn't even really care what we did the rest of the draft.

Too bad there is zero shot of that happen. Even if he were to go into complete free fall, there's no way the Bucs would pass him by.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:

in a mock im doing I actually have us taking Greg in the 3rd. I'm a huge fan of him as long as he checks out medically.

Sig by BK