Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
You guys paid the price for Jones.
Cleveland received Atlanta's first (27th overall), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.
You guys paid an even bigger price for Ingram. The only reason why he won heisman and was successful was because Julio Jones was blocking for him.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a little Bummed Jesse Tuggle won't announce our pick now. :(

and we traded the world for Julio Jones and he showed no emotion. WTF?

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I'm a little Bummed Jesse Tuggle won't announce our pick now. :(

and we traded the world for Julio Jones and he showed no emotion. WTF?
Im pretty sure he was just as shocked as us. The guy grew up in Alabama, play college there and now is a Falcon close to home and gets to play in a dome and learn from Roddy. The guy showed his dedication at the combine testing out on a broken foot and still performed great.

Sure his concerns are catching the ball, does anyone remember who else had that problem? and potentially was on bust bubble? Ya Roddy, what did it take? A mentor to set him straight, and Julio will have all this. Im stoked for this coming season and the offense, its going to dynamic, finally Mularky has no excuse not to air it out.

The only bad part is I really hope were targeting some1 in FA, not having a DE and keeping the same rush this season isnt gonna fly, and Abe is just another year older. I dont think were to the point were just gonna outscore people, maybe Sidbury is showing signs idk, but for us to give up our 2nd this ye, next years first, thats alot of potential talent, none of which I think compare to the upside Julio can bring, but hes gonna have alot of pressure on him now and so is the Front Office.

I do think we overpayed in terms of the future, but we had somewhat same concerns when we got Gonzo and hes been everything and more, So I really hope Julio is a ******* monster out there and stays healthy.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I hope Matt Ryan looks around the field a little better this year. We really need him to step it up big time after this huge investment we just made.

I honestly don't think we would have traded all that for AJ Green. Julio Jones is the perfect pick for us. Gives our offense instant speed and playmaking ability. He is extremely laid back, the guy loves bowling and fishing (and not selling his jerseys in college and attending agent parties). He has the attitude this team looks for, and I think his combine is what really sold TD.

I think the team was a little desperate for a WR, but you can't blame them. Roddy was really banged up all year and he'll hit magic 30 soon, so get the best WR that'll come out in a while.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We definitely would have traded the same amount, if not more, for Green. However, I like Jones for us.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about Roddy's age. He has a lot of time left and is definitely in his prime for the next few years. Top receivers produce until 33-34 usually.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what TD said, he feels solid about alot of our young talent so obviously that played a factor in the decision.

Next pick at 91 should still be a solid player and hopefully help this team out.

Maybe we will get lucky, and damn we better have a great season cause next years draft is gonna suck lol
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to state the obvious: Julio better be good. You don't swap 5 picks for one guy and feel ok with it unless he's a star. I don't love giving up that much for Jones, but I won't be complaining in the long run if he becomes a Pro Bowl WR. It didn't cross my mind in the past, but Jones is kind of like a bigger, faster Roddy White, in terms of potential. Jones should take every opportunity to learn from White.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now, I would just be predicting stats if I were you guys. Matt Ryan should put up ******* video game #s next year. Forget worrying about not having picks to use on mediocre defensive prospects - you should be putting up 40+ points a game!

Julio Jones - 59 catches, 770 yards, 7 touchdowns
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Right now, I would just be predicting stats if I were you guys. Matt Ryan should put up ******* video game #s next year. Forget worrying about not having picks to use on mediocre defensive prospects - you should be putting up 40+ points a game!

Julio Jones - 59 catches, 770 yards, 7 touchdowns
With our pass rush thats what its going to take.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
With our pass rush thats what its going to take.
I mean you guys went 14-2 last year and NO ONE stopped A-Rod.

Who could you have taken at #27 that would make an impact on your football team even 1% of the impact Jones will make? A gimpy Bowers? Akeem Ayers? There are few sure things in the draft. Even if you use a pick on a pass rusher there's a 50/50 chance he'll be effective in the NFL. When you're talking about a guy like Jones, it's more of an 80/20 boom/bust ratio.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like everyone else love the player and what it does for the offense. I just wish we would have been able to keep one of the 4th rounders.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I mean you guys went 14-2 last year and NO ONE stopped A-Rod.

Who could you have taken at #27 that would make an impact on your football team even 1% of the impact Jones will make? A gimpy Bowers? Akeem Ayers? There are few sure things in the draft. Even if you use a pick on a pass rusher there's a 50/50 chance he'll be effective in the NFL. When you're talking about a guy like Jones, it's more of an 80/20 boom/bust ratio.
Obviously no1 will argue we got a great player and that hes by far better than anything we would have gotten at 27. Were more so concerned w/ the cost. Next years 1st n 4th, this years 2nd and 4th. I mean if he turns out to be All Pro the im sure we wont give a ****.

But thats exactly what has to happen or it will be a big setback
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

At pick 91, we will get some1 solid. Im thinking either DE, speed back, OLB.

Here is who is left, w/ 60 picks till ours.

DE- Bowers, Reed, Bailey, Sheard, Acho, Romeus, Houston

OLB- Bruce Carter, Ayers,

RB- Leshoure, Ryan Williams, Locke, Hunter, Murray, Quizz, Devine (many more)

In a perfect world and possibly realistic:

3rd - Jabaal Sheard DE
5th- Derrick Locke RB
7th- Jordan Cemeron TE
7th- Brian Rolle OLB
Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like your thinking here I think we go def in the 3rd. We can the change of pace HB and future TE and BPA with the last 3.

Quote:

3rd - Jabaal Sheard DE
5th- Derrick Locke RB
7th- Jordan Cemeron TE
7th- Brian Rolle OLB
Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

what makes me cry is we traded back into the 1st for Jenkins...maybe hell be an ok 3rd option, prolly one of the better 3rd WR in the league now.

Roddy, Julio, Jenkins, Gonzo in a package, thats alot of ammo and big bodies.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the addition of Jones, Mike Mularkey better open up the offense. It would be such a waste if we had so much talent at our wide out positions and couldn't utilize them.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Akeem Dent at pick 91?

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:09 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I love the move. **** draft inventory, we have good depth and need a star to push us over the edge...

An important point: with White, Jones, and Jenkins, we have three of the best blocking WRs in the whole league. We can line up with those three, Gonzo, and Turner, and we'd be able to run just as well as most teams in a heavy set. That sets up the play action perfectly... which is Ryan's forte. We will put up lots of points. A speedy RB will be there in the 3rd or 5th.

So, the big question now: which free agent DE is Blank going to smother in cash? Johnson? Edwards? A.N. Other?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats on nabbing Julio guys. Who knows if it'll pay off, but you have to love a GM who actually has some balls.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I LOVE THIS TRADE UP AND PICK!

People are so negative around here. This is the key to unlocking the offense. #2 WR was our biggest need last year, and again this year. No one ever listens to me when I say that because everyone wants to build a championship defense. Ask Baltimore how that played out. Defense no longer wins championships. Green Bay's defense wasn't good, they just played well at the right times. Opportunistic/lucky defense is what has been the norm the last few years.

Seriously, try to scheme against Roddy + Julio + TG + Tuner guys, that's now our BASE package. We are giving up officially on Jenkins, who was a mega bust, never having over 100 yards, despite his 4.4 speed and 6'5" frame.

People keep hating on Julio's hands, you guys weren't watching this year were ya. Julio's problem was never his hands, it was his concentration. He'll make the toughest catches you've ever seen and then flub a wide open one. But that was before this year, this year the kid stayed focused, and he absolutely caught everything. That's what I fully expect to see from him, our own Roddy White had the same problem coming into the league, now look at him, just spectacular.

So don't talk about the young Freshman and Sophomore Jones, talk about the Junior who began to see his true potential. His willingness and ability as a blocker is a major plus. Yes, he's had some injuries, but he's played through them, the dude put up 1100 yards with a broken hand. He's a tough kid, who played for the best coach in college football. But yes, I know he's always injured, I'm not scared of a guy who doesn't have bad knees, bad joints, or anything like that. Crazy injuries happen, they've all been minor, and the kid is so tough he played through em all.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What's next in the draft.

I've heard way more than enough griping and complaining about the draft, what I wanna know is what's next. Our 3rd round pick is coming up tonight and there will still be players to be selected, who do you guys crave now?

I was craving a big WR first and foremost, if we couldn't pull this deal off I wanted Little or Hankerson as you guys knew, but now that need is filled and what I see is the need for that 3rd down back.

I love Snelling, and I think he did great for us, but we need to get someone else in here who can take the heat on 3rd downs. My selection for the 3rd round:

Demarco Murray - #7 - RB - Oklahoma

I like this player, I like his size/speed ratio, I like his hands and ability out of the backfield. He's going to have to become a better blocker, but what Runningback doesn't have to do that? I love the explosive plays he could bring our way and I really like the added dynamic of a pass catching RB.

Alternately I like players like:

Greg Romeous - DE - Pitt - My flags on him are the same as everyone elses, can Atlanta afford another injury prone player? Answer, no, but can Atlanta afford to pass up on a pass rusher who looked to be a top 15 pick before the injury? Answer, no.

Mark Herzlich - OLB - BC - Obviously health is the primary concern yet again, but it's not a physical ailment like a knee or anything, it's a totally different fight. He worked his way back, and he's an inspiration, also once regarded as a top 15 talent, he's a playmaker and if he gets back to 100% he's going to be a steal. He also won't be rushed onto the field in Atlanta.

DeMarcus VanDyke - CB - Miami - We for sure could use a corner to help bolster our roster, I think from a value standpoint it may be a little bit of a 'reach' for most people, and personally I'm getting sick of 3rd round cornerbacks, but this kid could be good.

Luke Stocker - TE - Tennessee - We could use a TE, as well and this kid is huge, he's not going to be a burner type TE, but he's still a matchup problem and he can can block too. I like Stocker

Kyle Rudolph - TE - Notre Dame - People had him falling into the late 2nd, why not the late 3rd, I hadn't seen him pegged anywhere but Atlanta, This one I know is a reach, I just don't know who else really needs to draft a TE early. Then again, maybe New England could use 1 more...
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do not want DeMarco Murray. His top qualities are his blocking and pass catching ability, which Snelling excels at.

We need a back who can tote the rock. Murray isn't nearly as explosive as he appeared early on in his career at OU.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I'm going to state the obvious: Julio better be good.
I don't think you fully understand what kind of wr the falcons got. JJ is 6'3 230lb and runs a 4.39/40 he's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but his upside is insane.
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
Like everyone else love the player and what it does for the offense. I just wish we would have been able to keep one of the 4th rounders.
4th rounders are far from sure things, no way would I pass up julio jones because I wanted to keep a 4th

I expect them to go de next, no need to go crazy for a complementary rb. Guys like jacquizz rodgers or delone carter will be available later.
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:

3rd - Jabaal Sheard DE
5th- Derrick Locke RB
7th- Jordan Cemeron TE
7th- Brian Rolle OLB
You're missing 2 more picks. We have a 6th and another 7th. So we'll have 7 overall picks in this draft.

3rd - Jabaal Sheard DE
5th- Derrick Locke RB
6th- Cecil Shorts
7th- Jordan Cemeron TE
7th- Brian Rolle OLB
7th- Mike Muhammad OLB

Quote: