Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
Agreed. Finneran and our 7th should do it
I like AJ and all, but this is probably too much.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Da'Quan Bowers
Robert Quinn

Ryan Kerrigan
Aldon Smith

Justin Houston
Cameron Heyward
Allen Bailey
Adrian Clayborn
JJ Watt

This is as close to I think the Falcons actual DE rankings are. Players will move up and down after interviews and that will ultimately answer all questions.

Wish Kerrigan or Aldon Smith fall to us, because they look like the best fit. If Justin Houston is there, I say pick him up, the rest are more of 3-4 guys.

Given Clayborn's history, it's tough to say TD will draft him, but he will definitely be considered. We already have a Hawkeye with an arrest record on our D-Line. Clayborn was a team captain and has great football intelligence. Come on, Peria Jerry had like a 1.3 GPA, can't say TD won't do it for sure. However, it's a slim chance.

JJ Watt is a perfect 3-4 DE, but I decided to add him to that list because he plays very fast being as big as he is. He was a 4-3 DE in college and did really well. Small possibility.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-20-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we are going to trade out of pick 27. I don't think we'd draft Justin Houston or Clayborne and those are the only 2 that are going to be there. Unless a WR has his stock blow up, we can trade down for him, or we can trade up for Smith/Kerrigan if we value them as impact players.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I think we are going to trade out of pick 27. I don't think we'd draft Justin Houston or Clayborne and those are the only 2 that are going to be there. Unless a WR has his stock blow up, we can trade down for him, or we can trade up for Smith/Kerrigan if we value them as impact players.
I doubt we trade up. If Smith or Kerrigan is gone by 27, then we just won't draft a DE in the first. Trading down makes more sense, but I just don't see it.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I doubt we trade up. If Smith or Kerrigan is gone by 27, then we just won't draft a DE in the first. Trading down makes more sense, but I just don't see it.

Who do you think we'd take? I don't see us taking one of the 3-4 guys or Allen Bailey.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I think we take Titus Young or Rudolph despite his injury. Some think Young is going to be a part time player but he as the same built as D Jackson not sure I understand the part time bit. Rudolph been awhile before a tight end as his kind of skills enter the league. Mularkey would love him since he loves playing two tight end sets.

I really don't see alot on the board come 27 if the def ends are gone, weak linebacker draft, maybe a corner could be taken but Grimes and D Rob will get the majority of time. Off line not alot standout although there could be some decent guards at 27 yet the Falcon's have Mike Johnson and could resign Dahl or sign a free agent. Runninb back can wait till the 3,4th round.

TD as never traded down so I doubt he does that.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I doubt we take a TE in the first. We have Tony G and Michael Palmer and Im fine with that. I don't think an upgrade there will change anything.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Who do you think we'd take? I don't see us taking one of the 3-4 guys or Allen Bailey.
If you're specifically talking about DE, then I believe it's Kerrigan, Smith, and Houston. If they don't make it till 27, then we will probably take one in the 2/3 rounds, and we have a lot more options then.

At 27, (outside of DE) I wouldn't mind Derek Sherrod, Nate Solder, Gabe Carimi, Mark Ingram, Jon Baldwin, Torrey Smith, Titus Young, Jerrel Jernigan.

Can't really say who we will take at this point, once the falcons have all the interview down, they will know.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:

At 27, (outside of DE) I wouldn't mind Derek Sherrod, Nate Solder, Gabe Carimi, Mark Ingram, Jon Baldwin, Torrey Smith, Titus Young, Jerrel Jernigan.
It's a tough spot. Sherrod, Jernigan, and Young aren't first round values right now. Baldwin is never going to be on our radar, Solder's gone before us. I'm really hoping for Jernigan or Titus to explode and for us to fall in love with them. I think they'd add so much to this team, but they aren't going to make it to our 2nd.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I wouldn't take it out of the question, but I don't think we draft a WR in the first. Well, I don't think we should. There are just so many gems you can find in the middle rounds. WR is always a deep position.

Edit: Dwayne Harris from ECU, speedy slot WR. Played HS at Tucker (GA). Born in Atlanta.

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-20-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

The reason I mentioned tight end and Rudolph is Palmer won't be anything more than a backup in the league and Gonzo is here one more year. Rudolph possess the rare combo of blocking,catching and stretching the field.The best all around tight end in this yrs draft a potential pro bowlers.When TD said we needed more explosiveness that means to me more speed and Young clearly has it. Who will be the fastest receivers in this draft Smith,Young,Jernigan. Who as the potential to play no2 Smith and maybe Young. So if we are going after speed its going to be drafted the first day. If you wanted a pure slot guy then Jernigan is the answer in rd 2.

Drafting Sherrod would mean Baker or clabo wouldn't be in the lineup and it just seems both are locks coming back. We should know more after the Indy combines so right now it is hard to tell what direction the Falcon's could go.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't quite see Clabo as a lock at this point. If we draft Sherrod, it will most likely mean Baker is moving to the strong side. If we don't bring Clabo back, then possibly Harvey Dahl will be.

If we don't bring Clabo back nor draft a tackle, then I'll be fine with Havey Dahl and Garrett Reynolds, two guys with a major mean streak.

Just throwing some possibilities out there.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-21-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I don't quite see Clabo as a lock at this point. If we draft Sherrod, it will most likely mean Baker is moving to the strong side. If we don't bring Clabo back, then possibly Harvey Dahl will be.

If we don't bring Clabo back nor draft a tackle, then I'll be fine with Havey Dahl and Garrett Reynolds, two guys with a major mean streak.

Just throwing some possibilities out there.
I don't think there's anyway Harvey can move from OG.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think there's anyway Harvey can move from OG.
I wasn't trying to imply that we put Harvey Dahl at tackle. Just that if we don't bring Clabo back, then bring Dahl back and have him at RG with Reynolds at RT. Both of them play super mean and we still have that identity on the O-line. I just don't think we'll lose them both.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Houston, but he's more of a stretch in the 4-3 than Clayborne is. He's 6'3" and shy of 260, not to mention he didn't become completely dominant until UGA moved to a 3-4. Could have issues with his size, kind of reminds me of the Jerry Hughes situation, or moreover the Everette Brown situation. Two players I really liked at the time who have struggled to come on in the 4-3 in the league.

Heyward is, IMO, the most clear-cut 3-4 end of the bunch. Would play DT for us.

Very scared of us drafting Bailey.

IMO...

1.) Bowers
2.) Quinn
3.) Kerrigan
4.) Smith
5.) Clayborne
6.) Houston
7.) Watt
8.) Bailey
9.) Heyward

But we would take Houston over Claiborne IMO. I just think Clayborne would have a more profound impact. He's a guy who was lauded as a sure-fire top ten pick before the poor senior season and character concerns.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Justin Houston had the most success on his hands.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Point stands. JH and EB were 4-3 ends in college as well.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

“We just finished our February cross-check meetings and we have, through that process, really refined our position
stacks across our draft board,” general manager Thomas Dimitroff told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We are starting to narrow down on potential draft picks going into the combine. We feel like we are right on track where we planned on being at this point.” “Those draft meetings in February are vital because we are able to move away from the generalize stack by position to a much more specific stack,” Dimitroff said. “At this point in the year, you get to a point were you feel that the pieces are really starting to come together.”

The Falcons will have the 27th pick in Round 1, which is a far cry from the No. 3 of Dimitroff’s first draft, but he likes this way fine.

“It’s drastically different,” he said, “and [drafting later] is an area in which I feel a lot more comfortable. [The New England Patriots, whence TD came, tend to draft late.] You can get good football players, and there are opportunities for value. You can also move up and down.”
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

So pretty much what he's saying is they evaluated everything and have a big board up. Although it's probably still fluid pending on interviews. That is what will really sell a player to them.

I'm super pumped for the combine. TD has shown a lot interest in great performances in the past.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Whenever I go to AJC, they have some **** about Allen Bailey. Every ******* day, Allen Bailey, Allen Bailey, Allen Bailey. Whoever writes for the, and I forgot his name, is on Allen Bailey's dick.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Pretty sure that's D. Orlando Ledbetter
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Torrey Smith is my guy this year, he can provide that explosiveness for us as a rookie comming in an out of different packages in the same way Jernigan and Titas Young would, but the thing I really like is that he has genuine potential to be a starter down the road unlike Jernigan and possibly Titus Young due to his size (Jernigan) and intellegence/character (Young). You have your exceptions like Desean and Steve Smith but generally speaking your smaller explosive guys wind up as slot WRs/specialist weapons whereas if you have an explosive player with some size about him, his chances are far improved of developing from an explosive weapon to an all around Pro Bowl WR down the road. Torrey Smith also has the well known leadership/character/intellegence traits that TD knows and loves.

Torrey could be a Mike Wallace/Jeremy Maclin type player for us in the short to meduim term but has real potential to be just like Roddy down the road (probably just at the time where Roddy's age starts to catch up with him)

If we could sort DE in free agency (Kiwikanuka, Edwards, Johnson), Torrey Smith and a tight end (possibly even trading up) like Kyle Rudolph in round two could really set us up for the long term. Imagine having those two with such raw talent learning from Gonzo and Roddy. In the short term we could develop some very dangerous packages given the talent we would have on offense all the while we would be grooming the replacements for Gonzo and even Roddy (well down the road).

Matt Ryan would really benifit from this, whilst he may never be Aaron Rodgers, equipping him with similiar weapons to what Rodgers has would be ideal in my view. TD wants us to be explosive, look at these weapons

WR
Roddy White
Michael Jenkins
Torrey Smith
Harry Douglas
Kerry Mier
Eric Weems

TE
Tony Gonzalez
Kyle Rudolph

and the return of Norwood/Emergence of draftpick speed back would also help.

IMO we need impact at DE WR TE this year, followed by smartly scouted/selected depth players at CB, S, RB, and OT from the draft/free agency pool. The key is hitting on those top 3 needs. It is a must

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 02-23-2011 at 11:05 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Pretty sure that's D. Orlando Ledbetter
Yea that fool. Also wrote something about us getting a new outdoor stadium, didn't expect that at all.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Yea DMH, Roddy is not a spring chicken anymore. He was also a bit injured this year, next time it could be more serious. We need a guy Matt Ryan can pass to when Roddy is not out there. Right now he really has no one.

Honestly, there a lot of good players that are going to be left at 27 and I don't really care who we draft, even if we reach. Just hope it's not a guard or something. There is not one particular player I'm praying for, I'm just really pumped for the draft, the team has so many options. There are about 25 different players they could actually draft at 27 and I wouldn't be upset, unlike a year ago.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Man, imagine if we didn't care about character last year and got Dez. That would have been awesome. Spoon needs to come back large.

And I need to watch more of Torrey, I wasn't overly impressed. He doesn't catch with his hands at all. That's a terrible trait to have. Especially with our scheme. Matt has to throw the receiver open a lot, and not snatching the ball out of the air does not help with that. And DMH said he could be like a Mike Wallace/Jeremy Maclin. I don't think he's nearly as explosive as those two.