Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
We didn't spend much time this year discussing our major need for a stout, run stuffing DE to help contain the run. lol
But I think we should've. It all starts with stopping the run imo. That's why I like Jarvis Jenkins so much. He played 1-tech for Clemson and is actually pretty underrated right now. I think he can play RDE in our scheme and while he might not be a 8 sack player like Seymour, he will eat up a lot of space and make room for the OLB we draft in the first. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plus...you know...I thought we needed a stout run stuffing defensive end...

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh, a wise guy, eh?

lol

I'm cool with either. Value, value, value. Kerrigan or Jordan @ 17. Heyward in the 20 range as a consolation prize.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We would be lucky to get Jordan at this point though. If I was one of those guys that did rankings I would probably put him as the best overall defensive linemen in this class right now for 3-4 teams. We might luck out though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. There are too many 3-4 teams in front of us for him to fall to 17. Kerrigan's fit in 3-4 & 4-3 should put him out of range at 17 as well.

Unless we can get one of the top 2 WRs (also doubtful,) I just don't see us staying at 17. Though I could see us just taking Heyward there, which would be fine by me. "Overdrafting" is a term reserved for guys who bust. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching some Colorado on ESPN3, I am starting to think Jimmy Smith would be a HUGE steal at 28.

Smith's one deficiency is his stiff hips. He has Asomugha shutdown potential though. Someone will have to work with him a bit to correct those hips... but he could be the best CB in this draft. (Yes, Better than Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, and Brandon Harris)
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I like Jimmy Smith a whole lot. I really don't think he lacks elite agility like some people seem to think. I don't think he's the best corner in the class, but someone is going to get a steal out of him in the late first round for sure. Might not even last that long with a good combine. Really wouldn't mind if he was the pick as long as we keep all our other picks and address our needs.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Jimmy Smith a good bit. Not sure why he's not more highly touted at this point in the draft process. My guess is that it's because his name is so plain. If he had a name like Prince Amukamara, he'd get a lot more hype.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I Herzlich on this team so bad that I've been going through all the scenarios in which he'd fit on the roster... One is him just being a straight upgrade over Guyton. Guyton might have a leg on him right now, but Herzlich is so much smarter and instinctive that any current physical advantage that Guyton has would be covered (plus Herzlich would lap him within a year from a physical stand-point). The other is that he's an upgrade over Ninkovich as the utility LB. Once he gets the 20 more pounds his frame can easily hold without losing any potential agility or speed, he'd be a force as someone you move all over the defense and use to disguise blitzes and coverages.

Bottom line...I love Guyton and Ninkovich, and there are very few players from the '10 squad I want to see go (wouldn't care if Slater, Wilhite, and a few fringe OLs go), but Herzlich just brings more to the defense comparatively. The only thing keeping him from being a lock for the Patriots is the success they had with Spikes.

I'm debating whether I'd like Herzlich more than a pass rusher (because that just might be the trade-off).
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't think of anything/anyone I'd rather draft (realistically able to) over a quality pass rusher.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I like Jimmy Smith a good bit. Not sure why he's not more highly touted at this point in the draft process. My guess is that it's because his name is so plain. If he had a name like Prince Amukamara, he'd get a lot more hype.
I think it has something to do with the state of Colorado as a program right now. If they were good, the prospects they're putting out would be judged much differently. Solder suffers from this a bit as well as nobody really saw much of him on a national level this year so the only things we have to go on for us East Coasters are reports and a few games that maybe some of us watched. Hype is a powerful force even for scouts.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about Kerrigan. Don't get me wrong. I think he's the perfect fit here, he's very talented and seems to have a knack for making plays. But there's another player who as of right now could fall to us (even though he's a top 5 player based on production/upside). That player is of course Aldon Smith. He's big (6'5" 270 lbs), fast and athletically gifted. As a pass rusher athleticism >> intelligence/intangibles, even in Belichick's scheme. Smith doesn't have a non-stop motor like Kerrigan, he doesn't run the arch as well as Quinn and he's a liability against the run. But I think he could get stronger without losing his explosiveness.

Am I the only one thinking about this or do any of you think that Smith might be the better pick? I'd be fine with either to be honest, but if both are available I don't know who I want. Kerrigan is more of a sure thing: what you see is what you get. Smith wouldn't get on the field as fast as Kerrigan, but his upside alone makes him a great pick for us.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Aldon Smith makes me really nervous. He's the kind of guy who either turns into an elite pass rusher or you never hear from again. His upside is through the roof but the rawness really scares me. We've had some recent examples of raw pass rushers coming in and making an impact early(Jason Pierre-Paul, Carlos Dunlap, ect) but just as often as they succeed they bust out. I'm just not sold yet. For what it's worth, The Pudge isn't either and I really tend to go with his opinion if I'm questioning which direction I'm leaning.

I'm going to have to watch more film on him, but the issue is there really isn't much of it. He was productive just one year and it was his redshirt frosh season too. I'm weary of that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I agree with all of that. But I just can't not think about what he could become with some good coaching. He was a beast in his RS freshman season, no doubt about that. He slowed down a bit in 2010, but he did break his leg. And even with that he had a pretty good year in 2010. I think he's a boom or bust prospect too, but at this point I'm leaning towards "boom" with him.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The draft is like Christmas for me, and if we come away with a first round pass rusher as a present, I'll be ecstatic. I am a big fan of Aldon Smith and think he'd be an excellent fit in New England. Not a senior but he has considerable upside and the length/size Belichick likes. Seems like a pretty smart kid in interviews too. I really like the Jason Pierre-Paul comparison, I think he's a similar type of player. With a little bit of patience I think our staff could really help Smith develop into a Pro Bowl pass rusher.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think the fantastic part of this that would make it easier to pass on him is that he might be more valuable as a 4-3 DE and have some team take him earlier than #17. I would half prefer it to not be our problem.

Conversely, he well could be an impact player early just because of his athletic ability. I would like to see him stay at about the weight he is though as he could have the potential to get too big to be a 3-4 OLB. 270+ guys not named Tamba Hali are pretty rare.

I don't know, I'll wait for the combine. Aldon Smith is the type of guy you decide if you're committed to there. He's not a character concern or even a dumb guy from how he comes off in interviews so that's a solid plus. We do have a history of staying away from guys who come out as Sophomores though, so we'll see.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

bhyg is a cocksman.bhyg is a cocksman.bhyg is a cocksman.

Is anyone as high on Brooks Reed as I am?
bhyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyg View Post
hahaha electriceye is in love <3 with Reed.

I think he is going to be good, but I wouldnt pick him til the end of the second, but by then, i expect he will be gone

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyg View Post
I am quite possibly higher on Brooks Reed than you are.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Who would you move up to get in the draft (I'm talking early first round)? I think we all agree on Robert Quinn, but what about:

- Patrick Peterson?
- Marcel Dareus?
- AJ Green?
- Julio Jones?
- Others?

Quote:
Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Who would you move up to get in the draft (I'm talking early first round)? I think we all agree on Robert Quinn, but what about:

- Patrick Peterson?
- Marcel Dareus?
- AJ Green?
- Julio Jones?
- Others?
id take any of the above to be honest haha but quinn and dareus would be best for us

Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I don't think we should trade up this year. The only players that are potentially worth trading up for are AJ Green and Julio Jones. I'm not sure that's even really worth it given that we don't have a huuuuge need and we can sit pretty and get two(or more) impact players.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think we should trade up this year. The only players that are potentially worth trading up for are AJ Green and Julio Jones. I'm not sure that's even really worth it given that we don't have a huuuuge need and we can sit pretty and get two(or more) impact players.
so your telling me you wouldnt trade up a few spots, give away one of our seconds or thirds, in order to secure a quinn or kerrigan? i sure as hell would. just think of our defense with a guy who can actually make opposing QBs panic. We would be much much better

Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
At this point in time I'd prefer quality over quantity. Quinn is easily a top 5 talent and should he fall a bit (which is likely until the Comine) I'd love for us to move up and get him. He just looks like a 12+ sack per year player. Very explosive with great overall athleticism. Just what we need imo. That would likely cost us #17+#60+future 4th or so. But I'd still do it. We would still have #28 and #33 to get a DE and an OL that could start as rookies with the way things are right now. Not to mention two picks in the third...

Quote:
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Problem is the Quinn's "fall" is only till the combine and is mostly just message board stuff and us forgetting how well he played. I doubt we would trade up for him in the first place or even draft him really because of his character issues. We've passed multiple times on people who haven't directly hurt their football team with their actions...Quinn did that.

As far as Kerrigan goes, that's somewhat more realistic but is it really a good value? He might be there for us anyway, which would be nice...but if he isn't I really don't think there's much of a drop-off between him and the next tier of 3-4 pass rushers.

The rest of the names there really aren't good fits/are out of our price range.

R.I.P. Junior Seau