Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't like what I see out of Aldon Smith in terms of fluidity. He's not a natural change of direction guy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like Aldon Smith at all. He's a project. I haven't seen a lot of him, but nothing I have seen says he can play OLB. And he misses way too many tackles for my liking.

Just my opinion of course but if the Pats took him at 17 that would be an example of forcing a pick just to fill a need. And the Pats don't draft that way, thankfully.

*edit* oh and i forgot to mention he is awful against the run.

Last edited by TNPatsFan : 02-28-2011 at 04:29 PM.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care what JJ Watt is. I want him in NE. Totally a believer. He has athleticism coming out of everywhere.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For DE's, Cam Jordan definitely made his stock skyrocket today. I doubt he will be there at 17.

I am buying Wilkerson as a legit first round option now, he looked very good today and carries 315 unbelievably well.

Ballard ran well too and I could see him being an option in the second round, but personally I feel if we don't take a DE by 33 then we will not take one for a while.

Watt was very impressive, he could have worked himself out of our range. There is also no hope for Fairley or Dareus, but there really never was.

I am cooling a lot on Cam Heyward. I think he could be a good fit here and I would welcome the pick, but after watching some more of him this year (not just the Arky bowl game) he really was a bit inconsistent.

For OLB, Quinn might be a real option at 17. He didn't work out as well as expected but even if he did fall which I think he may, I can't see us drafting a 20 year old who hasn't played football in a year in the first round.

Aldon Smith did very well, but he didn't blow it up enough to make his stock go much higher than it already was. He is a guy I like a lot and is up there for my top choices at 17.

I think Kerrigan is still a very strong possibility, if not the strongest possibility at 17 out of DE's and OLB's. If we address one of those two positions at 17 and Kerrigan is available, I think he will be the pick. I would be very happy with him, but I think Aldon Smith is my favorite OLB for us this draft.

ALDON SMITH FANCLUB!
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The good news is for every player that sees his stock soaring up beyond the Pats reach, it means another good player is dropping down toward them.

Quinn is a mystery to me. Not playing for a whole year has got to drop his stock quite a bit, especially when as you said he is still so young and relatively inexperienced. But everyone keeps mocking him in the top 6 and even saying he could go number one.

I just don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if he fell down to the bottom half of the round. Just wish I could read the minds of BB and Caserio to know how they view him.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's always so exciting leading up to draft day.

Then draft day arrives and BB drives me insane.

We really should be able to fill the positions with the biggest need even if we see a typical trade down party. The only question is whether or not BB et al see the same positions as needs. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
It's always so exciting leading up to draft day.

Then draft day arrives and BB drives me insane.

We really should be able to fill the positions with the biggest need even if we see a typical trade down party. The only question is whether or not BB et al see the same positions as needs. lol
1. Brandon Harris
1. Titus Young
2. Ahmad Black
2. Shane Vereen

Our draft will be something like that I am sure. We all want to build up the front 7 and o-line but I could see us completely neglecting those positions in the first two rounds.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
1. Brandon Harris
1. Titus Young
2. Ahmad Black
2. Shane Vereen

Our draft will be something like that I am sure. We all want to build up the front 7 and o-line but I could see us completely neglecting those positions in the first two rounds.
Stop giving me nightmares.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Stop giving me nightmares.
It doesn't matter if we can't get sacks or stop a third down, we need more ************* role players with special teams potential! I am slightly joking, I really like what we did with the draft last year but we need another one like that. Only this year the focus needs to be on defense and we need to pull in a couple of offensive linemen, anybody who watched us last year could tell you that and I really think this year the draft could go more the way we expect it to than it ever has. Yes, we may take a corner in the first or a RB/WR early, but I think/hope we will draft to continue to rebuild the defense and add some youth to the OL.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
1. Brandon Harris
1. Titus Young
2. Ahmad Black
2. Shane Vereen

I almost neg repped this. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I almost neg repped this. lol
If it happens feel free to do so. If that is our draft I will be convinced BB looks at this site to see the stuff we post and he just toys with all of us on draft day. I will sacrifice myself it the draft pans out like that, but sadly deep down we all expect the draft to look something like that.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Something like that could happen. But if we know BB it would be more like this:

1. Mike Pouncey
1. Marcus Gilbert
2. Ahmad Black
2. Will Hill
Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Something like that could happen. But if we know BB it would be more like this:

1. Mike Pouncey
1. Marcus Gilbert
2. Ahmad Black
2. Will Hill
Ha...that is definitely a real possibility too.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Jimmy Smith might be testing himself out of our range as well, he might not even make it to 17. As much as I want to draft front 7 and OL; I would not complain if we draft PP, Prince, Or Smith. After them though I would want to hold off on corner although I could see us really liking Brandon Harris.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Sounds crazy but I don't like cocky CB's who haven't even entered the league yet. If they've been there and done it, then they can be as cocky as they want. But when they are coming in that way as rookies then they are either like Ellis Hobbs (cocky but not very good) or like Asante Samuel (cocky and good and think they should be paid a bazillion dollars).

Honestly I never even heard of Smith before a few months ago. I feel like if he was really that good I would have known about him. I'd pass on him.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Sounds crazy but I don't like cocky CB's who haven't even entered the league yet. If they've been there and done it, then they can be as cocky as they want. But when they are coming in that way as rookies then they are either like Ellis Hobbs (cocky but not very good) or like Asante Samuel (cocky and good and think they should be paid a bazillion dollars).

Honestly I never even heard of Smith before a few months ago. I feel like if he was really that good I would have known about him. I'd pass on him.
He suffers from a bad case of Colorado Buffaloes syndrome, it is terrible for your exposure. Revis was great at Pitt but he wasn't on an especially great team and he didn't have much else to help him on defense, but he was selected right around where Smith should be. With guys like Smith you just need to watch their tape, if teams didn't do that then the Jets would have drafted Leon Hall over Revis. Hall is a good corner, but he is not Revis. If a great corner is on a bad team, you can just avoid him. That happens a lot in college and that is why I feel Smith will surprise people and get drafted high and have a stellar career much like Revis did. Asomugha is still underrated by most of the league because he is on a terrible team, and great corners on terrible teams usually don't put up the stats to gain that exposure.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Perhaps. But I had heard of, and was very familiar with Revis long before the draft. In fact I was very familiar with Terrence Wheatley as a Colorado Buffalo for a couple years before he was drafted. I guess nothing drew my my attention to Smith this year for some reason.

Is he an underclassman? Sometimes I do neglect some underclassmen during the season as I tend to focus on seniors or at least guys I have a strong feeling will enter the draft.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2. Will Hill
That guy won't be drafted before the middle of day 3 (if at all)

edit: I get it now lol.

Last edited by descendency : 02-28-2011 at 06:46 PM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man this draft is tough.

So many guys I'd love to have that are all very possible at all 4 picks. I don't see how we can't have a good draft.

I am now on the JJ Watt bandwagon, him over Cameron Jordan for me now.
Kerrigan has impressed me with his good athleticism today too, so him or Smith are pretty much ==.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Perhaps. But I had heard of, and was very familiar with Revis long before the draft. In fact I was very familiar with Terrence Wheatley as a Colorado Buffalo for a couple years before he was drafted. I guess nothing drew my my attention to Smith this year for some reason.

Is he an underclassman? Sometimes I do neglect some underclassmen during the season as I tend to focus on seniors or at least guys I have a strong feeling will enter the draft.
Smith is a Senior and he has allowed 12 completions over the past few years. Not having heard of a prospect because of national exposure is obviously a bad line of reasoning to neglect ability. He isn't challenged often, but that's generally an effect of him getting and maintaining good coverage. I agree with what Don Vito said about Colorado and have said the same thing in the past about both he and Solder. If the Buffaloes were in the national spotlight during his tenure, he would be right on par with Peterson and Amukamara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I don't care what JJ Watt is. I want him in NE. Totally a believer. He has athleticism coming out of everywhere.
Plenty of room on the bandwagon, but I've been at the front for awhile ;)

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:

He's a Redshirt Senior.

He's easy to miss. He's the guy at Colorado everyone is avoiding. AJ Green against Colorado destroyed their secondary. He had 2 touchdowns, 119 yards and 7 catches. None of that against Jimmy Smith. I think the line was 3 attempts, 2 completions like 3 yards or something.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Sounds good. Looking for some video of him there's not a lot out there. What I'm seeing looks decent. Not the greatest tackler I've seen but same can be said for a lot of CB's.

I'll remain a little skeptical simply because I feel like if he's really that good then why isn't he being talked about as a top 10 or even top 5 pick like Patrick Peterson.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Sounds good. Looking for some video of him there's not a lot out there. What I'm seeing looks decent. Not the greatest tackler I've seen but same can be said for a lot of CB's.

I'll remain a little skeptical simply because I feel like if he's really that good then why isn't he being talked about as a top 10 or even top 5 pick like Patrick Peterson.
He might not be on Peterson's level, but so much of the lack of hype comes from the college team he played for and Peterson has had all eyes on him since high school. Like I said he may not end up being what Peterson will be, but he is a early-mid first round corner prospect if you ask me. PP and Prince are very rare talents at corner and Smith is right behind them, not as far off as you would think.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

His athleticism doesn't translate all that well on the field and he plays on a really ****** team. He didn't have Ndamukong Suh or the Tigers DL to help him out.

He's my #2 corner (after some major deliberation on whether PP had elite coverage skills or whether he was just abusing people with elite athleticism). I watched quite a few of CUs whole games to scout him. (which is tough, because they're quite hard to watch.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

This draft really is insanely talented on the defensive side of the ball, every position besides safety and maybe 3-4 NT is absolutely loaded. We need to cash in and we are in perfect position to do so, no excuses for dancing around our true top needs this year. We need to add youth and talent to this defense and this is the draft to do it.