Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With a little bit of luck in a pre-combine draft:

JJ Watt
Jimmy Smith
Brooks Reed

:D

It completely ignores the teams need on offense, but wow would that be a defense.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

JJ Watt
Jimmy Smith
Brooks Reed

It completely ignores the teams need on offense, but wow would that be a defense.
lol thats def a dream. doubt watt or smith last to those spots

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

JJ Watt
Jimmy Smith
Brooks Reed

Did you and me just become best friends?

I'm glad people are finally coming around on Reed. He's honestly more than a workout warrior too. He's just one of those guys who is going to be significantly better as an OLB in a 3-4 due to his actions and fluidity. He's high effort style translates well to standing up and picking holes through blocking schemes too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 03-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We were all talking up the possibility of Ahmad Black a few weeks ago. Really, really bad 40 times with 4.74 and 4.78. He would be off my personal board for that, or at least be moving down to the bottom of it. That's simply not fast enough to play anywhere but inside and teams could still exploit that past the first ten yards if they key in on him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Reed but I've wondered why his production wasn't really all that impressive statistically. When I watched Arizona games this year he didn't really stand out.

But after watching Reed in the Senior Bowl I now wonder if the reason he didn't stand out at Arizona is because he is actually more suited to play OLB. He might end up being better in the NFL than he was in college.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

See, I disagree about him not standing out to an extent. He was productive when he was healthy, but dealt with some nagging type injuries that slowed him at time. Elmore and some of the other Arizona State defensive linemen sort of gobbled up some of the potential sacks he could put up, but he got fairly consistent penetration into the backfield and made his mark on a lot of plays. Not stellar production statistically, but pretty good. Combine that with the natural athletic ability and playing a position that suites him better and you have a guy who you can feel pretty safe drafting a little bit higher than the numbers would say you should.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice article from Reiss on 10 possible Pats targets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ike&id=6169791

In short the list is:
Sam Acho
Brandon Harris
Cam Heyward
Cam Jordan
Ryan Kerrigan
Greg McElroy
John Moffitt
Mike Pouncey
Shane Vereen
JJ Watt

I like that list. I'll take as many of those guys as we can get.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
See, I disagree about him not standing out to an extent. He was productive when he was healthy, but dealt with some nagging type injuries that slowed him at time. Elmore and some of the other Arizona State defensive linemen sort of gobbled up some of the potential sacks he could put up, but he got fairly consistent penetration into the backfield and made his mark on a lot of plays. Not stellar production statistically, but pretty good. Combine that with the natural athletic ability and playing a position that suites him better and you have a guy who you can feel pretty safe drafting a little bit higher than the numbers would say you should.
That's good info. Lots of times there are guys who have nagging injuries like that and we aren't really aware of them. They may be rated higher if they had been healthy. I like Brooks. Don't know if I'd go first round or pick 33, but I'd feel good about it any time after that.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I really have to look at Acho a bit closer. He tested very well athletically and looked pretty good in drills. I'm not sure he's got the length we look for in a pass rusher and that's shown itself to be a factor in our evaluation process multiple times throughout, but I think the hope is that some of those restrictions will be lifted a bit this year.

Kerrigan helped himself a ton working out like he did, always expected him to test out better than people said he would. But still, is he fluid enough to be an OLB? It's a question we probably won't have a conclusive answer to even after draft day.

Vereen is a guy I think is flying under the radar a bit. He didn't test quite as well as expected in terms of speed, but the guy can play. Cal RB's are as well coached as they come in terms of catching the ball out of the backfield and having the ability to pass protect. Even though we have guys that excel in those roles already, we love complete players.

As far as Watt goes, I'm pretty convinced if he somehow makes it to #17 he should be the pick at this point.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Two comparable players from the same conference, Jeremy Beal and Sam Acho. I have been a lot higher on Beal over the course of the season and even through the Senior Bowl Just seemed like a better player to me. But it is looking now like Beal may not be able to play OLB and that Acho has more potential there. Acho's shortness does scare me though.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I've never been much of a Beal guy. He's a limited athlete and doesn't have a whole lot of OLB potential because of it. He isn't the greatest technician in the world either. He has pretty good burst once he beats his man...but I think he's limited to a situational rush end at the next level in terms of role.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beal may go undrafted. He has no athleticism. He was a Gerald McCoy product.

Acho has great agility (best 3 cone drill) and had a great 10 yard split, so he should have tore up the short shuttle, but didn't. Then he was no where to be found in the broad jump.

I didn't see the positional drills, but I wonder how Acho did.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

He did pretty good. Looked alright at linebacker, nothing super special or anything, but I think he proved he can play there as much as you can in those drills.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone's thoughts on J.Houston? Put up good numbers on bench and 40
But more importantly, I think he should he could play in space on his drills.
His 270 frame looks so BB-esque... I could see him getting picked at 17 if Kerrigan is gone

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Beal may go undrafted. He has no athleticism. He was a Gerald McCoy product.
He didn't play with McCoy this year and he looked great.

But yeah I see what you're saying. He looked pretty awful in the combine workouts. And what was that forty time, 5.16 or something? Almost makes you wonder if he was injured. But sometimes guys look good on the field but just don't have what it takes for the NFL. Dropping Beal to the late rounds on my board.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was a mistake at first when I saw that 5+ forty

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Acho is very intelligent as well, I think he could be a very real possibility for us. I would prefer we look at Aldon Smith, Kerrigan, Quinn, Reed, or a few other before him though.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Reiss reporting Stephen Neal is retiring. I feel like this makes it even more certain the Pats will be taking an OG early in this draft.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Provided we somehow keep Mankins, not sure that's 100% true. Wisniewski is the guy now with his combine performance for me is we do though.

Apparently, Nick Kaczur is on his way out as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 03-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So our line now looks like this:

T - Matt Light (UFA), Sebastian Vollmer, Mark LeVoir, Quinn Ojinnaka, Steve Maneri

G - Logan Mankins (holdout?), Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Rich Ohrnberger, Thomas Austin

C - Dan Koppen

I could see us drafting 1-2 tackles, 1-2 guards, and a center. We need to re-sign Matt Light to allow us to address other positions early on, and a deal with Logan Mankins would be great too. I'm hoping for Wisniewski at #33, someone like Moffitt at #60, and a developmental/swing tackle in the fourth or fifth round. A late round flier would be nice too.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Kind of sucks to have to rebuild our offensive line at a time like this...

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Each year I usually post my Patriots "anti-draft" as my signature showing players that I don't want the Pats to draft. There really aren't any of those this year. I don't really like Aldon Smith or Wilkerson to the Pats in round 1 but that's about it. There are a lot of players I do like though, so I'm going to post my dream draft as my sig instead. Some of these may be wishful thinking that they would be available, but that's what makes it a dream draft.

So here is my 2011 Patriots Wishful Thinking Draft...

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thatd be a pretty beastly draft haha

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that would be a beastly draft fo sho! do we really take a RB that early? Seems like a luxury pick right now. Just out of curiosity who else would have been sitting there at #33
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

If I were to adjust it I'd move an OT into that 33 spot (Sherrod perhaps), then take an RB later at 3b or 4.

Either that or take Heyward at 28, move Wis back to 33, and then replace one of the later OL's with an RB. That would give us two good young bookend DE's in Heyward and Jenkins (but we'd only get 2 OL's).

3 Anyone but Wolfe