Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Anyone have a feeling about Sam Acho? The more I see him the more I think he belongs in tier 1 instead of tier 2. If he had a better burst, I could see him being a top 15 pick.
He is one player who I have been liking more and more as this process goes on. I think he could be the pick even as high as 28 depending on how things go

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Acho and I definitely think he is a guy we could fall in love with. He is solid against the run, a good pass rusher, and is very intelligent. However I don't really think he is the impact edge rusher we need, I feel like he is in that Cunningham mold of a solid OLB. We need a franchise pass rusher kind of impact player, I like Acho and I could see us drafting him but I don't think he is the ideal pick for what we need.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I like Acho and I definitely think he is a guy we could fall in love with. He is solid against the run, a good pass rusher, and is very intelligent. However I don't really think he is the impact edge rusher we need, I feel like he is in that Cunningham mold of a solid OLB. We need a franchise pass rusher kind of impact player, I like Acho and I could see us drafting him but I don't think he is the ideal pick for what we need.
But there's the issue. Is there really anybody in this draft that can be considered an impact edge rusher? I'm not so sure. There are some good OLB candidates but I don't know that any are going to be terrorizing opposing QB's for the next five plus years. I suppose Quinn could become that. I just don't know. I think they may need to just get a solid all around OLB like Acho to go with Cunningham and continue to add other pieces that together help improve the pass rush. I don't know that there is one guy that's going to come in through this draft and make a huge difference.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
But there's the issue. Is there really anybody in this draft that can be considered an impact edge rusher? I'm not so sure. There are some good OLB candidates but I don't know that any are going to be terrorizing opposing QB's for the next five plus years. I suppose Quinn could become that. I just don't know. I think they may need to just get a solid all around OLB like Acho to go with Cunningham and continue to add other pieces that together help improve the pass rush. I don't know that there is one guy that's going to come in through this draft and make a huge difference.
I think that there are guys who have potential to be that kind of player, whereas I don't think Acho will be more than a solid player. Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Ryan Kerrigan, Brooks Reed, Justin Houston, and Aldon Smith are guys who I think have the ability to develop into great edge rushers in a 3-4. Some of those guys also have bust potential, but they have extremely high ceilings and have the physical ability to be great in the NFL. I think you know what you are going to get with Acho, he is a pretty safe pick to be a solid player but we already have players like that. Sheard for Pitt is a guy who will probably be drafted around where Acho will be and he may not be as safe of a pick as Acho, but I think he has a lot more potential as a pass rusher than Acho.

Feed Moncrief
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's true. There are a lot of guys with potential, but who could just as easily end up being busts. The question is whether or not BB is willing to take that risk. He hasn't in the past. Maybe this year he will go for it. But even so, most of these guys were good college pass rushers but not really anything special. Personally I love Ryan Kerrigan as I think he is the best pass rusher in the draft. But just being realistic I think he will be a consistent 6 to 8 sack guy who gets you some good qb "pressures". I don't see any Wares or Merrimans in this draft to be honest. And I feel bad for the team that drafts Von Miller in the top 7 thinking he's going to be a sack machine in the NFL.

I'd love to see the Pats take a shot at one of these guys for a change, and there are some I like better than others, but I'm also prepared for BB to go with a safer pick where he knows what he's getting and not bet on potential.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Reiss reporting that the Pats did an on campus workout yesterday with Ricky Stanzi. He's a guy I think would be good to bring in as a backup and possible future starter waaaaaayyyy down the road. I just hope they don't take a QB before the 4th round.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Still a long way to go before the draft, and still lots of private workouts/visits to be done by the Pats, but so far I am finding it interesting that of all the top players that are being talked about as possible Pats draft picks, the only one that the Pats have had a private workout with so far is Cam Jordan.

Also of interest is they have been working out a number of DL's but they are all either second tier guys or are not generally considered good fits for the Pats. They have worked out Clayborn, Bailey, McClain, and Kenrick Ellis so far.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmm... I'd be cool with CJ. Really hoping for Heyward.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Reiss reporting that the Pats did an on campus workout yesterday with Ricky Stanzi. He's a guy I think would be good to bring in as a backup and possible future starter waaaaaayyyy down the road. I just hope they don't take a QB before the 4th round.
Why? They have too many draft picks, to be quite honest. Their 4th round pick is their 7th pick in the draft... They can draft a QB whenever they want, imo.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm okay with grabbing a QB only and only we've addressed OLB, DE and OL.
I don't like the gamble of grabbing a QB beforehand and then having our guy, who we thought would fall to our next pick, taken off the board.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

seems to be a lot of talk out there about the pats as one of the favorite teams to trade up in the draft. what guys do you see the pats FO falling for enough to move up into the 9 or 10 range (cowboys and skins seem like teams both looking to slide down)? aj green? julio? jj watt? quinn? aldon smith? other? and what preference?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be shocked if they moved up for Smith or Quinn. Both guys have issues that would hurt their value for BB & Co. Quinn w/the suspension and Smith b/c he's only a sophmore. I can't remember the last time BB selected a guy with less than 3 years playing experience. @ 17 or 28 both could be targets if they last, but I just don't see them being the guy BB moves up for.

WR, DE, CB, maybe? I don't feel like the value is so great at DE that we couldn't address it with 17 / 28 /33, tbh, simply b/c there's such good depth. A stud like AJ / Julio or a top CB to pair w/McCourty would be possible. Especially w/Julio coming out of 'bama and that coaching connection.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I'd be shocked if they moved up for Smith or Quinn. Both guys have issues that would hurt their value for BB & Co. Quinn w/the suspension and Smith b/c he's only a sophmore. I can't remember the last time BB selected a guy with less than 3 years playing experience. @ 17 or 28 both could be targets if they last, but I just don't see them being the guy BB moves up for.

WR, DE, CB, maybe? I don't feel like the value is so great at DE that we couldn't address it with 17 / 28 /33, tbh, simply b/c there's such good depth. A stud like AJ / Julio or a top CB to pair w/McCourty would be possible. Especially w/Julio coming out of 'bama and that coaching connection.
I doubt he moves up for an OLB. I'd say if they move up it will be for one of the WRs or Prince Amukamara(who they have planned in for a visit)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

The thought of Amukamara and McCourty opposite each other makes me tingly.

Feed Moncrief
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thanks. thats helpful input.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I doubt he moves up for an OLB. I'd say if they move up it will be for one of the WRs or Prince Amukamara(who they have planned in for a visit)
Quote:
Still my darkhorse position for round 1. I would love to see a move to grab Prince. The big question is where his value really should be set. He's top 10 mock material b/c everybody gives him to Dallas. If Dallas trades out, does a team really need a top 10 to get Prince? It seems like a classic great fit / decent value slot in mocks.

I'd have to think he's top 12 based on the teams around there. 7 teams in a row that could all address a big need by taking Amukamara.

7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans (Happy w/Verner? - Finny is old)
9. Dallas Cowboys
10. Washington Redskins (Old as dirt @ CB)
11. Houston Texans
12. Minnesota Vikings
13. Detroit Lions

Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Still my darkhorse position for round 1. I would love to see a move to grab Prince. The big question is where his value really should be set. He's top 10 mock material b/c everybody gives him to Dallas. If Dallas trades out, does a team really need a top 10 to get Prince? It seems like a classic great fit / decent value slot in mocks.

I'd have to think he's top 12 based on the teams around there. 7 teams in a row that could all address a big need by taking Amukamara.

7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans (Happy w/Verner? - Finny is old)
9. Dallas Cowboys
11. Houston Texans
12. Minnesota Vikings
13. Detroit Lions
Realistically if Dallas trade down or pass on him then it will be a case of BPA instead of actual need until Detroit.

Washington gould go QB, WR, DE and OLB instead of CB
Houston do need another CB but with their defensive change they need front 7 players badly
Minnesota also could use a CB, however they also need QB, DE, S OLB etc

If Peterson isn't there for SF they could take Prince but I believe they would go pass rusher or QB at that point.

Tennessee I don't buy. They have Finnegan, Verner and Jason McCourty which is a pretty decent set of CBs.

If Dallas don't trade down with the Pats though I think it would have to be Washington or Minnesota to do the deal. I see Houston taking the best available front 7 player. Both Washington and Minnesota may be looking to move down to get better value on Jake Locker.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
not sayin skins wont look at cbs this offseason but old as dirt? real reason wed address corner is not age but dependent on whether we plan to resign our FAs.

Dhall - 27
Kevin Barnes - 24
Bryan Westbrook - 26

FAs
Carlos Rogers - 29
Phil Buchanon - 30
Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

The QBs really make our 17 / 28 / 33 picks very nice bargaining chips. We could move up to snag a CB / WR and then still end up playing the trade down game through the late 1st & early 2nd. (Surprise, surprise, right? lol)

Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
not sayin skins wont look at cbs this offseason but old as dirt? real reason wed address corner is not age but dependent on whether we plan to resign our FAs.

Dhall - 27
Kevin Barnes - 24
Bryan Westbrook - 26

FAs
Carlos Rogers - 29
Phil Buchanon - 30
hhmmm . . . I didn't look at their ages first. I was thinking Hall / Rogers / Buchanon were all over 30.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Quote:
The QBs really make our 17 / 28 / 33 picks very nice bargaining chips. We could move up to snag a CB / WR and then still end up playing the trade down game through the late 1st & early 2nd. (Surprise, surprise, right? lol)
This is just what I've been thinking. They may very well trade up if there is a stud player they want, but there are probably a very select couple of players that they would do it for. I think Prince would be one. And then as you said as long as they keep one of 28 or 33, there are always teams wanting to trade up from the second round into those spots.. especially if they want to beat someone to one of those QB's.

I would love to see the Pats do this, jump up to snag Prince or Julio... maybe Quinn I'm undecided on him.. and then still have enough picks to get their OL's and a DL and OLB.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 03-30-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

This is definitely the year we are set up to do so for several reasons.

1 - Top CB / WR prospects are likely gone before we can get them at 17
2 - The other positions we need have good depth and talent in round 2 (DE / OLB / OL)
3 - The number of picks we have is just silly (though it looks great w/no CBA for UDFAs)
4 - QB slides: Mallet / Locker / Ponder all will be highly coveted between 17 and 33

Wishful thinking, though. BB & Co. will probably only use the 28th pick and trade a bunch of the others. We'll end up with 6 players, all selected between 28 & 70, with no true "OMG We got HIM!" players involved. lol

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 03-30-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
What about Bodden?
I don't see any reason for the Patriots to draft a top CB. In fact I think we could benefit from Amukamara and Peterson being taken higher than CBs usually have gone in past drafts.
Personally I'm wishing there's a run on QBs right of the bat. If that happens maybe, just maybe we move up a couple spots to nab an elite pass rusher or WR.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:49 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Bodden hasn't demonstrated anything more than the ability to be good once every few years. They guy has no consistency in his history except for consistently being injured. There's also no guarantee he comes back to 100% of what he "can" be.

Two stud CBs in their first years in the league . . . ******* dreamy!

Welcome to the fun!

Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Bodden hasn't demonstrated anything more than the ability to be good once every few years. They guy has no consistency in his history except for consistently being injured. There's also no guarantee he comes back to 100% of what he "can" be.

Two stud CBs in their first years in the league . . . ******* dreamy!

Welcome to the fun!
Well you could also say that McCourty only played one season, granted it was a very impressive one drawing some comparisons with Haynes, but he could have a bad second season. I understand that unlike Bodden, who has shown inconsistency, he has never done anything to make us believe he'll drop in production but he also hasn't shown otherwise. I'm not saying Bodden will be great, but I believe he'll at least be good.
My concern over the lack of pass rush or a play maker WR is greater than that of the quality of our backfield. I'd rather address those positions than go after another "stud" CB. If the opposition QB has all day to throw it doesn't matter who are your CBs, not even Deon Sanders and Darelle Revis can cover everyone that long. Also I'm not completely sold on Amukamara or Peterson as a lock in the NFL.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote