Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bodden's never really impressed me that much. He was the best the Pats had in 2009 when they had a bunch of mediocre players back there. He's not terrible, but having two top CB's plus Bodden would be a great thing to have. They need three or more CB's on the field a lot anyway and when the only other choices are Butler and Wilhite, then it makes sense to try to improve back there. Remember Chung out there covering slot receivers last year.

I'd love pass rushing help too, don't get me wrong, but I have said before I don't think there is one single player they can draft in round 1 who is going to make the pass rush go from being the league's worst to being a team strength. It will take improvement at all positions, D-Line, LB, and the secondary.

Oh, and Bodden will turn 30 this year anyway and coming off an injury so who knows how much longer he'll be around and be any good. Draft for the future, not for just this year, that's the way BB does it.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

I was really disappointed with Butler, but felt that towards the last games of the season when he got back on the field due to injuries he showed some flashes of at least being a decent nickel or dime. I'm not really worried with Wilhite either, and don't forget Arrington who did an ok job as the second CB. I didn't think the 2009 backfield was that bad, they just got targeted a lot because, again, of our lack of pass rush and due to the fact that the Pats get on the board often and fast and forces most teams to switch to a pass heavy offense.
Chung covering the slot was a big part due to injuries, we were spread too thin last season. We can always improve, but as I said other positions are more urgent than others.

As for the overall improvement needed to have a better pass rush, the way I see it last season there were too many times we got close to a sack or disrupted the pocket but never made the play, be it a sack, deflection or force the QB to get rid of the ball. In my opinion we have a good base that only lacks the talent of an aggressive and agile pass rusher. Since there's no free agency this year until the labor issues get resolved I feel it would be imperative to pursuit an elite pass rusher in this years draft.

And if you are going to draft for the future you might as well do it in later rounds. I'm not opposed going for a CB of the future, but in a draft class that is highly regarded as thin in elite talent I'd like to secure one of the few elite talents there are in a position that I most need improvement right away and save the picks that are aimed at the future in later rounds or even next years draft.

I understand that it's not the Patriots way or BB's MO to trade up to snatch guys, but Bill and the team have surprised us a couple of times. Also we've been trying to find a pass rusher for a long time now, remember Adalius Thomas and Shawn Crable.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Bodden hasn't demonstrated anything more than the ability to be good once every few years. They guy has no consistency in his history except for consistently being injured. There's also no guarantee he comes back to 100% of what he "can" be.

Two stud CBs in their first years in the league . . . ******* dreamy!

Welcome to the fun!
Bodden's demonstrated the ability to be an amazing fit in this defensive scheme, but hasn't done well outside of it.

I think Butler will be fine. There's no rational evidence... I just feel in my gut that he'll turn it around and be a really good player for the Patriots. I think he lost his confidence in his abilities going into the season and never got it back. I'm thinking he'll use the off-season to either completely recover and develop into the player we thought he was becoming, or he'll be out.

Last edited by nepg : 03-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys know about Jabaal Sheard haven't seen much on him yet, heard him floated around the Pats.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has size and athleticism, he had a very good season this year with Romeus out. I think his character problems could scare some teams off but he may go as early as late round 1 if someone really likes him enough. Seems like a good fit for the Jets.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else beginning to feel a trade up? I think Dallas or SF could be definite trading partners.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do but I'm not feeling the trade up scenarios for JJ Watt though
IMO, Wilkerson and Heyward are the best fits for us and they can be had at 17 and probably 28
If we do trade up, I like the idea of grabbing J.Jones... that'd be sexy

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I do but I'm not feeling the trade up scenarios for JJ Watt though
IMO, Wilkerson and Heyward are the best fits for us and they can be had at 17 and probably 28
If we do trade up, I like the idea of grabbing J.Jones... that'd be sexy
Yeah, not on the Watt bandwagon myself. I'd see us pulling a trade up for Jones, Amukamara, maybe Quinn.

Trading down from 28 looks possible(likely) now too.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think NE is convinced that Pouncey isn't worth 17 but likely won't be around for pick 28. There are other options, but if I were NE, I'd be using pick 17 and 28, and trading out of 33... unless I got a stellar offer for one of the first two.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I think NE is convinced that Pouncey isn't worth 17 but likely won't be around for pick 28. There are other options, but if I were NE, I'd be using pick 17 and 28, and trading out of 33... unless I got a stellar offer for one of the first two.
If Belichick doesn't think Pouncey is worth 17 but wants him he will likely trade down, maybe with TB looking for an edge rusher and take him at 20. One thing we know is he values players differently than most others but will seldom reach on a player

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, but at the same time... if he can't trade down...
He's shown he's not afraid to "reach" on some players
So he's convinced on Pouncey but can't trade down, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked there anyways

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious what others think of this question. Is there anyone in this draft that you would be happy if the Pats traded up to get? And if so, what is the highest you would want them to go to get him?

I would go as high as 10 to get Julio, 12 to get Prince, and 15 to get Kerrigan, although I think there's at least a 50-50 chance Kerrigan makes it to 17 and beyond. I actually don't think the Pats will take him even if he's there.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
I'm curious what others think of this question. Is there anyone in this draft that you would be happy if the Pats traded up to get? And if so, what is the highest you would want them to go to get him?

I would go as high as 10 to get Julio, 12 to get Prince, and 15 to get Kerrigan, although I think there's at least a 50-50 chance Kerrigan makes it to 17 and beyond. I actually don't think the Pats will take him even if he's there.
I don't think Kerrigan will be a Patriot regardless. I think Amukamara is who I'd like most of all in Rd 1 though, within reason. A trade up to 9-10 would be most likely.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-07-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

I would trade up to get AJ Green, although I think we would have to get into the top 5 for that and I don't know if BB would be willing to make that trade, I would. I would also love to get either Miller or Quinn, but Quinn seems more like a 43 DE for me. Miller would require a top 5 pick also. Quinn will probably require between 7 and 13. I would make both trades.

I don't think Julio Jones is that great of a prospect and I don't think Kerrigan can play in our 34 scheme.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Starting to think Mikel Lashoure or Ingram might be picked at 28 or 33. Kinda getting the idea BB might want to get back to the 2004 patriots. Dillon, a lot of 2 TE sets, power running, playaction etc.

I'm warming up to Lashoure over Ingram actually.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be happy w/a move up for Amukamara, too. 10-12, depending on who is willing to trade and what the 49ers & Cowboys do @ 7 & 9. I think Houston is still a dark horse team to take him, despite major needs to fill in a new 3-4 system.

I like Julio, but if it ain't Green I'm not as interested in moving up for WR. But that's mostly due to my man-crush on Hankerson.

There is no OLB prospect that I'm convinced is worth a move up and the DE depth is too good to bother.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't be shocked with a (Mike) Pouncey + (Akeem) Ayers first round. Not saying I would love it, but both plug major holes, both are Belichick type players, and neither are represented by Tom Condon.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't be shocked with a (Mike) Pouncey + (Akeem) Ayers first round. Not saying I would love it, but both plug major holes, both are Belichick type players, and neither are represented by Tom Condon.
I actually like Ayers, and would like the pick.
Pouncey actually worries me a bit, but I wouldn't be opposed after a trade down. Anything else is a bit of a reach. I'd rather Watkins.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

*sigh*

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...027 35&spln=1

Quote:
The National Football Post's Aaron Wilson reports the Giants, Jets and Patriots are all "extremely high" on UCLA LB Akeem Ayers.
The Giants would probably be reaching if they took Ayers at No. 19, but the Patriots (No. 28) and Jets (No. 30) both represent plausible late first-round fits. However, it's quite possible Ayers' poor measurables from the NFL Combine will push him all the way to day two, even after he posted improved numbers at his Pro Day. Apr. 9 - 5:51
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What's wrong with Ayers?? I think he'd be a great fit. He's great on character/intelligence as well.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Where would he play?

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Where would he play?
Ask BB, if that report is true he has a pretty good idea.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

You said he'd be a great fit. I thought maybe you'd know. Oh well. I personally don't put much weight on "reports" like these. Sounds more like somebody's opinion than anything, especially since they don't give any further info to support the statement.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Where would he play?
OLB, opposite Cunningham and DE on 3rd down.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You said he'd be a great fit. I thought maybe you'd know. Oh well. I personally don't put much weight on "reports" like these. Sounds more like somebody's opinion than anything, especially since they don't give any further info to support the statement.
I agree with you. It's probably nothing, and I thought you were asking me rhetorically. He'd of course fit next to Cunningham, probably be much more useful than TBC in passing situations, especially in coverage.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy