Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats are hosting Jake Locker. Ha ha I love it. Now all the other teams are having discussions like this:

"They're not going to draft a QB at 28... are they? I mean, should we try to jump ahead of them? I'm so confused!"

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
Pats are hosting Jake Locker. Ha ha I love it. Now all the other teams are having discussions like this:

"They're not going to draft a QB at 28... are they? I mean, should we try to jump ahead of them? I'm so confused!"
lol . . . exactly. Gotta push the trade value of those picks!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Other teams know what NE is doing. I mean, unless he completely wows them it's more likely it's tire kicking.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree.

The Pats seem to bring in a number of QB's every year for pre-draft visits and we know they aren't taking one, at least not in the first or second round.

I do believe they use a lot of these visits not for this year, but for three or four years from now. They may not draft a QB this year because they don't need one. But in three years maybe they need one and someone they looked at this year in a pre-draft visit is available either as a free agent or via a trade, and they can check their notes and decide whether or not they want to go get him then.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Pats are trading Brady to SF for a slew of picks and drafting Locker I think. </sarcasm>
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they don't think there will be a 2011 season, a QB would be a real option in the first round. I think Locker's demeanor and approach is similar to Brady. He could go a long way to improving his weaknesses by being with the Pats and being around Tom Brady.

Considering how unexcited I am about most of the first round possibilities, I'd be down with drafting Locker.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Pats seem to bring in a number of QB's every year for pre-draft visits and we know they aren't taking one, at least not in the first or second round.
Don't be totally shocked if Ricky Stanzi's name is called at pick 60 (or thereabouts... with how the Patriots trade picks)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

The way Bill operates he would bring in about every draft eligible player if he could. You never know how the roster will be throughout the season so it never hurts to have as much information on every player available.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Don't be totally shocked if Ricky Stanzi's name is called at pick 60 (or thereabouts... with how the Patriots trade picks)
Ricky Stanzi or TJ Yates seem like they fit right in to what the Patriots look for when they draft QBs. Experience, size, athleticism, adequate arm... I'd almost be willing to put money on them drafting one of those two.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Ricky Stanzi or TJ Yates seem like they fit right in to what the Patriots look for when they draft QBs. Experience, size, athleticism, adequate arm... I'd almost be willing to put money on them drafting one of those two.
I wouldnt mind Stanzi at any point from the late 3rd onwards but Im not a fan of Yates, I'd prefer McElroy

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nothing would surprise me after round 3. But I still like Hoyer alot. I think he's only signed through the upcoming season and would be a FA in 2012, so QB is definitely an option.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

I like Stanzi too. As long as they first get themselves an OLB, a couple OL's, an RB, and maybe a CB or DL, then they can go ahead and get him.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously. We have holes. Lets fill those first before we start picking up backups

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Seriously. We have holes. Lets fill those first before we start picking up backups
The team went 14-2 and lost a game because key players couldn't make easy plays. I hope the Jets fans don't miss-understand that but the Patriots lost that game because no one could do **** on the outside.

This is a young team with lots of talent. If they have a chance to grab a key part of the team for 10 years, they should take it - backup now or not.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

But isn't it too early to look for Brady's replacement if he's going to be playing for four or five more years, possibly even longer? You draft his replacement in the second or third round, sign him to a four year contract, and he becomes a free agent before he ever gets a chance to play? What's the point? Sure, you can draft him for "just in case" but I don't know if that's how you want to use early draft picks. If you have a good sense of when Brady will hang them up, and it appears to be within two or three years, then yeah I'd be all for getting his replacement now. But there is absolutely no reason to think he will leave that soon unless it's because of injury.

They seem to have very high hopes and expectations for Hoyer anyway. That's why I say fill the holes you have on the team now first, then worry about the holes you may have four or five years from now.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I really like Hoyer. Sign him to a 5 year deal and be done with it. I'm still a bit surprised there wasn't more talk / rumors / interest in him.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I really like Hoyer. Sign him to a 5 year deal and be done with it. I'm still a bit surprised there wasn't more talk / rumors / interest in him.
Yeah I agree, Hoyer could just be our next starting QB when Brady's gone. I think he has a lot of potential and already plays at a solid level.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-14-2011, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
Yeah I agree, Hoyer could just be our next starting QB when Brady's gone. I think he has a lot of potential and already plays at a solid level.
Patriots will probably draft a QB rounds 5 or later and probably bring some FAs as soon as that's possible as they have done for the past years. I don't think Hoyer is good enough to be a starter, he's a decent backup but starter, I'm not sure. Signing a backup QB to a long term contract doesn't seem like a good move, you never know what's going to happen and tying yourself up like that isn't necessary.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But isn't it too early to look for Brady's replacement if he's going to be playing for four or five more years, possibly even longer? You draft his replacement in the second or third round, sign him to a four year contract, and he becomes a free agent before he ever gets a chance to play? What's the point? Sure, you can draft him for "just in case" but I don't know if that's how you want to use early draft picks. If you have a good sense of when Brady will hang them up, and it appears to be within two or three years, then yeah I'd be all for getting his replacement now. But there is absolutely no reason to think he will leave that soon unless it's because of injury.

They seem to have very high hopes and expectations for Hoyer anyway. That's why I say fill the holes you have on the team now first, then worry about the holes you may have four or five years from now.
Basically. Also, we need a WR, OLB, DE, CB, S, RB, C, RG, RT (LG?)
We overachieved last year. Who thought we were going 14-2???
I sure as hell didn't. Our defense was pretty much the worst in the league.
There's a lot of room for improvement. I rather fill in the holes and go for rings
then drafting a back up QB who's contract will be up before Brady retires

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandoss View Post
Patriots will probably draft a QB rounds 5 or later and probably bring some FAs as soon as that's possible as they have done for the past years. I don't think Hoyer is good enough to be a starter, he's a decent backup but starter, I'm not sure. Signing a backup QB to a long term contract doesn't seem like a good move, you never know what's going to happen and tying yourself up like that isn't necessary.
As an UDFA, I don't imagine it would be a contract that would be a burden. It would be a contract that wouldn't cost much if he were cut. Signing a good backup QB is always a smart move, imo. Of course, I really like what I see from Hoyer.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
As an UDFA, I don't imagine it would be a contract that would be a burden. It would be a contract that wouldn't cost much if he were cut. Signing a good backup QB is always a smart move, imo. Of course, I really like what I see from Hoyer.
I'm not saying it will cost us or that we shouldn't sign him. Just that I feel a shorter term would be best as I don't think Hoyer has the ability to become a good starter in the future and there's no reason to sign a backup QB to a 5 year deal when there are several young QBs that have more potential in the draft every year and undrafted also.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Is this the patriots draft board?

Apparently it was setup by PFW, but i am not sure I 100% buy that, especially given the orders shown, its not exactly a generic draft order.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

I saw that too and don't know what to make of it. Hard to believe they would be careless enough to put that info up for the media to see. Yet the order doesn't look like they just randomly put the names up there. Maybe they put them in a kind of general consensus order but that's not really the specific order that they have them rated. More deception, in other words. Interesting.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I saw that too and don't know what to make of it. Hard to believe they would be careless enough to put that info up for the media to see. Yet the order doesn't look like they just randomly put the names up there. Maybe they put them in a kind of general consensus order but that's not really the specific order that they have them rated. More deception, in other words. Interesting.
Yeah, I actually think its possible they screwed up, and had PFW say they did it afterwards to try and cover it up. I mean, if you look at it, they have Solder as their top rated tackle, which is not even close to the general consensus, but he could fit the patriots best.

Brown after Cobb is another big ???. JJ Watt under Clayborn (agent?), Watkins top Guard, etc.

Looks a little to specialized IMO, could be nothing though, no way to really know, but it is certainly making me scratch my head.

Another thing though, each of these guys is ranked numerically. 8.854 for Bowers, 8.652 Dareus, 8.519, Quinn etc.

I doubt PFW did that **** up.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Last edited by BradysKnee : 04-16-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

It is puzzling that's for sure. They are so secretive about everything pre-draft that it's hard to imagine how they would even have their list posted anywhere that someone could see it, let alone voluntarily showing it to the media. I sure hope they didn't screw up because if they did they lost a lot of leverage when they are trying to trade up and down the board.

I agree about some of those rankings. They are kind of typical but then there are the handful of unusual ones like you mentioned. The PFW guys could have just put them up in their own order. Those guys often have some strange ratings on players. They could have just made the numbers up or something. I hope that's all it is.

3 Anyone but Wolfe