Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Fox can be groomed to replace him and Backus probably has 2-3 more years left. I wouldn't say LT is a definite need.
Fox is more a right tackle.

Also WMD, if Best works out, then we'd only need to draft a big body running back. Those can be had in the 4th-5th round.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post

Also WMD, if Best works out, then we'd only need to draft a big body running back. Those can be had in the 4th-5th round.
I agree. Fox will be more valuable at RT. I want a left tackle with elite talent.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

technically backus is more appropriate at RT too. lack of elite kick slide. i think fox is backus' long lost son.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
technically backus is more appropriate at RT too. lack of elite kick slide. i think fox is backus' long lost son.
Easy fella ... Backus is not that old! ;o) Fox is his "little brother". Michigan Wolverines love that phrase anyway.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post

Yeah definitely. I wasn't listing Round 1 needs.. just things we might have to address next year. I'd expect us to pick LT, DE, or CB in Round 1.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Yeah definitely. I wasn't listing Round 1 needs.. just things we might have to address next year. I'd expect us to pick LT, DE, or CB in Round 1.
That's a solid list ... I would add S. The secondary with Spievey, Houston, Wade & Delmas is better but not to my liking yet. Our push up front on the Dline will likely cover some of what is still lacking in the secondary.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
That's a solid list ... I would add S. The secondary with Spievey, Houston, Wade & Delmas is better but not to my liking yet. Our push up front on the Dline will likely cover some of what is still lacking in the secondary.
not in the first silly! first round safeties are a luxury, unless it's a giant hole on the team. S isn't nearly our top problem. A need, yes. But a need level of a second to fourth-round pick, depending on what's available. Not first.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peterson would be a great pick and maybe get a LT like Barksdale in the 2ND would be a steal. I think like a WR like Ryan Broyles in the 3RD to help Calvin and Stafford.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB, DE, and OT are what I want at the top of the draft. Hopefully Fox develops over the next couple of years. We could really use an elite option at corner. Peterson has a great synergy of being one of the top prospects and being a huge need for us. I would also love to have a top DE. KVB isn't exactly young and we should continue to build on our defensive rotation with quality edge rushers. Offensive tackle is a bit tougher to project until after the season begins. Will Cherilus play up to his potential and get better mentally? Does Backus continue his solid enough play from last year? Will Fox develop into something more than a swingman at tackle?

Stafford's development and recognition at the line of scrimmage will help to determine his health this year. However, Castonzo is worth watching and his play could dictate what our pick will be. Offensive tackle is such a crapshoot sometimes and I have no idea yet who will ultimately be #1.

In an ideal world, without factoring in contracts or anything except completing the football team:

1. Peterson
2. Quinn
3. Castonzo

I also wouldn't mind another RB to complement Best. Also, if for some reason Peterson, Quinn, and Castonzo were picked ahead of us...then i wouldn't mind AJ Green for value. Burleson in the slot would lengthen his career and allow us to not have to depend on Derrick Williams' development or getting anything out of Bryant Johnson.

Might as well throw in an insanely early mock draft. I'm going to pretend that we're picking in the 5th-8th range. Assuming a couple QBs go early, then Quinn is off the board...

1. Peterson-CB LSU
I wouldn't mind going with Brandon Harris CB Miami(FL) in the 2nd if we go DE
2. Bruce Carter-LB UNC
How many 4-3 Linebackers fall to the top of the 2nd Round every year? BPA.
3. Evan Royster-RB Penn State
Our Marion Barber to Jahvid's Felix Jones. Also a good Spot to go with a Safety.
4. Justin Boren-G Ohio State
Just to see how much Michigan fans remember who he is...Hopefully he won't quit our team to join the Browns. Could easily have gone with Moffitt from Wisconsin.
5. Jaiquawn Jarrett-S Temple
Still searching for Delmas' partner in the secondary. DeAndre Brown-WR S. Miss if we addressed safety earlier.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 06-25-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woops, posted in the wrong thread...
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 PM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Prowler and also have the same positions at want/need as well. I dont really like putting names out this early because the top players will switch rankings most likely.

Sig by Bone Krusher
frubulubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

if anybody can manage to nail the top 5 end of season rankings for offensive tackle then i'd rep them everyday for a month.

for all i know it could end up
1. Barksdale-LSU
2. Castonzo-BC
3. Pinkston-Pitt
4. Carimi-Wisconsin
5. Ziemba-Auburn

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aft/index.html

Early list from SI of top 25 SENIOR prospects for 2011 ... it's defensively loaded (16 of 25 guys on D) I think secondary is the target area to improve & if an "elite" LT slips to our pick we should take him.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a good LT will fall to the 2ND and the Lions can get one.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

The Lions should take Patrick Peterson in the First and Barksdale in the 2ND. Move Cherlius to RG, Baksdale to RT, Fox to LG and then Draft a guy like D.J. Fluker in the 2012 NFL Draft.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

schwartz has already ruled out cherilus moving inside to guard. its tackle or bust for him. i actually think our oline won't be too bad this year. its not good, but should at least be average.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
The Lions should take Patrick Peterson in the First and Barksdale in the 2ND. Move Cherlius to RG, Baksdale to RT, Fox to LG and then Draft a guy like D.J. Fluker in the 2012 NFL Draft.
This guy has it all figured out ... I've been away most of the summer & come back to this power post ... ughh ;o} LOL!!!
I will not bust your chops too bad dannyz ... you must be a Lion's fan if you are forecasting out into the 2012 draft already! (haha) So if you are a Lion's fan in Omaha, NE I know why. Go Suh, KVB, Big Dom etc ... & welcome to the Big 10 Huskers.

Now a little poetry ... Cherilus would never in a million years be a successful NFL RG, nor Fox a LG?!?! Whoa dude. Fox is clearly being groomed as a tackle & if Cherilus has another inconsistent year the writing is on the walls as another 1st round bust could be cut or traded. As for the guards ... Peterman & Sims seem pretty solid in the middle to me? Besides both those cats you mentioned are all of 6-7. Not too man 6-7 G's in the NFL for these reasons: 1) QB's just can not throw over them in the interior lanes. 2) They can not pull by nature of getting out of their stance quick enough. 3)Blitzers can get underneath them for leverage. Plus, I have several old postings on position changes in football, especially along the Oline, where on paper & in theory they sound great ... BUT in real life they are a VERY difficult to adapt to on the field. Not impossible but difficult. (Google Jon Jansen's explanation if you do not believe me)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im pretty sure this draft it completely dependent on backus's play and the improvement of Fox. If at the end of this year we do not see anyone who can step in at LT and truly protect Stafford it must be the pick.

We have too much invested on offense to neglect such an important decision. Trust me I would rather go all defense next year allowing us to get an impact CB and DE but with the DE's that are in this league (allen and peppers) along with GB's very good dline we need to make sure stafford is protected as much as possible.

With that said hopefully avril steps up big with our much improved line and get double digit sacks. If not im sure this will be his last year in detroit
Old 08-05-2010, 06:51 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

It's a coin flip to me with DE or LT most valuable. Protect the franchise (QB) or get pressure & wreak havoc. Since Backus has been consistently serviceable for so many years & that DE spot has been a revolving door since Porcher, I almost think DE is the #1 option. I mean, like you said, it depends on how diminished Backus's skills are after this season.

2 things ... 1) this next draft is likely going to be loaded with rush D-ends. The talent at that position is very impressive so maybe even rd 2? 2) Wanting Avril to succeed is a good thought but when is WHEN???
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree but at this point if we need to choose between a DE and CB right now i'd take a CB. Our Dline has already transformed into a position of strength for us even with a hole at DE. Suh Williams Hill and KVB are looking like they will do their fair share of havoc. a great DE added would be huge but our secondary has so many holes its scary.

At this point an argument can be made for OT DE and CB. and i think there isn't a clear cut #1 right now. I think its a wait and see at this point depending on the performance of guys like Speivey, Avril, Fox, and Backus. Hopefully some of these young guys step up and change our needs perception this year, or backus protects staffords blind side
Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Spivey is not doing himself any favors in the coaches minds so far from what I read ... but I guess it's still early? Still a head scratcher with him ... he played in a zone scheme mostly @ Iowa & Detroit is mostly man coverage, I wondered about the fit?
To me there are 3 early front runners for CB picks in the top 20: Peterson, Amukamara & A. Williams would all be prime picks with Detroit's #1 in 2011. With Lawrence Jackson added this week & the promise Willie Young shows, DE is not likely a 1st round "need" right now. (although the thoughts of a Greg Romeus excites me)
Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Scott's 1st mock is out ... I LOVE his selection for Detroit (Peterson) kid looks amazing against NC tonight returning the ball. I DO NOT LOVE he has us drafting #5? ;o)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

So....Peterson had like 257 return yards and a td. Also had 5 tackles. Special teams help plus good tackler...sounds like a great guy to draft.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

All that while Les Miles had Peterson sitting the bench in stretches of the 2nd half to get experience to younger players. He also left for the locker room with 2:00 left in the half! Amazing effort, UNC's special teams units were in shambles with all teh suspensions ... but PP was everywhere!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

right now im not sure we'll be in a position to draft peterson. Looking at scotts first round tho i think that no matter what we'll be in a position to draft an impact player at either of our 3 big needs in DE CB and OT. LB i'd rather wait until 2nd or 3rd